• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PolliGaf 2012 |OT5| Big Bird, Binders, Bayonets, Bad News and Benghazi

Status
Not open for further replies.

teiresias

Apparently the company where Romney gave his economic speech today benefited from the stimulus. Heh.

I took my car in for some routine maintenance today, and some douche in the waiting lounge had turned Fox News up to maximum blast on the TV while Romney's speech was on. Was completely grating my nerves, so I had to leave and walk outside. In fact, nearly everyone else in the lounge except for the old guy that turned up the TV walked out so we could read in peace. I think it was just a bit difficult to both listen to fiction and read it at the same time.

Averon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...on-fraud-republicans-democrats_n_2019831.html

Early Voting: Election Fraud Debate Continues, Republicans And Democrats Weigh In

WASHINGTON -- Voter fraud has been an ongoing debate in this election season, as states purge voter rolls and citizen vigilante poll-watchers aim to ensure that only legal citizens cast ballots.

Now, early voting is being added the list of possible suspect actions.

Speaking to Sean Hannity on his radio show on Wednesday, former GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum claimed that letting citizens cast ballots in person before Election Day opens the door to corruption:

Hannity: I don't like this early voting --

Santorum: I hate it.

Hannity: It's been going on forever --

Santorum: I hate it.

Hannity: And it opens up the door to corruption.

Santorum: It does. And look, the race changed from a month ago. When Ohio was early voting, it was before the first debate and the people who went out and voted, really in my opinion, really didn't know Governor Romney and what kind of candidate he really is and the real distinction between Romney and Obama.

Surprise! Surprise! The GOP doesn't like early voting! Expect them to fight tooth and nail to kill over the next 4 years.

So if this is the conservative estimate (I see pretty much every blue state on there except perhaps for NH as being an almost sure thing) what are the more optimistic estimates? What other states do people think Obama could pick up?

Colorado could stay with Obama if Latino's come strong for him, they even did during the 2010 senate race there.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
So if this is the conservative estimate (I see pretty much every blue state on there except perhaps for NH as being an almost sure thing) what are the more optimistic estimates? What other states do people think Obama could pick up?

CO and VA are plausible and would bump it up to 303. I think that's the peak of realistic optimism, even though Florida flipping for 332 would be a grand ole opry.

Let me emphasize how bad this is for Romney

PolliGAF sky-fallers should just think of this... throughout this entire campaign, Romney has led in the average of polls in Ohio approximately ZERO TIMES. (lowest point was O +0.7, when? Right after the Repub Convention.) That's right. Since the start of Election Season 2012, Romney has led in Ohio in the RealClearPolitics average of polls zero times.

There are now, like, ten days left to go or some shit.

Chicken Littlers: What is going to change in that time?

It has been hilarious to see the state G.O.P. leadership try to juggle two disparate narratives to try to take down Obama.

Basically, they've been saying, "We're doing great! We're doing way better than the nation as a whole! But it's not because of President Obama at all. In fact, we'd be succeeding much more without him!"

Ain't gonna work, Kasich.

I`m watching the movie fair game about the cia agents name which was leaked after her husband said there was no uranium bought in Niger by Saddam. Whats gafs opinion on it? The story is fucking outrageous. The media response ... disgusting .....

Virginia, Florida, and Colorado, potentially. But I'm erring on the side of caution for all three.

Amir0x

Banned
It has been hilarious to see the state G.O.P. leadership try to juggle two disparate narratives to try to take down Obama.

Basically, they've been saying, "We're doing great! We're doing way better than the nation as a whole! But it's not because of President Obama at all. In fact, we'd be succeeding much more without him!"

Ain't gonna work, Kasich.

Yup. It's really miserable for them, must be. And man, there's just nothing left to change the trajectory either. Early voting has already started and massively favored Obama; all polls continue to show a 2-3 point lead for him. Repubs are going to try to make a Lena Dunham web ad into a controversy to change minds? Shows precisely how much flailing is going on.

CO and VA are plausible and would bump it up to 303. I think that's the peak of realistic optimism, even though Florida flipping for 332 would be a grand ole opry.

332's the peak of realistic optimism given how comically close FL is

(but I'm holding out for 347 anyway)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Feeling the final stretch today.

Let us get this work.
ihviD81p7vH1g.png

Love the callout to marriage equality on the front page of his website:
7a2v4.png

Goes to http://www.barackobama.com/video/id/Tb60nFeJsNc?source=forward-doodle

I have to say, though the road to equal rights for homosexuals will be excruciating in this country, this adminsitration has taken a far more ballsy stance as an advocate than I ever expected.

Ready for election night. Network coverage is from 7-11pm Eastern.

Going to print out a map of the USA and mark states with my red/blue markers as they are called.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Note, for that WI turnout in the Ras poll:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/05/1097599/-Breaking-Madison-Turnout-Over-100

It's because they allow same day registration and count turnout against prior registration.

Diablos

Why doesn't Georgia go blue, btw? I was looking at the 2008 county results and the whole middle of the state is a solid line of heavy Democratic turnout it seems. And all the big cities seem to have big D turnout as well. What gives?

HylianTom

Banned
Ready for election night. Network coverage is from 7-11pm Eastern.

Going to print out a map of the USA and mark states with my red/blue markers as they are called.
I do the same. 2000 was crazy, 2004 was depressing, 2008 was a laugher.

We need a map of poll closing times as well!

I think Obama will win one of either Virginia or Colorado with a possibility of both. Polls for both have been all over the place it seems (with Colorado trending towards Obama slightly and Virginia going back and forth). Florida is still a slight possibility but it would be the least likely of the three to tip (meaning the other two would have already tipped if Obama were to get Florida).

So right now my Electoral guess would be 290 for Obama with a decent shot at 303.

Typing that out made me feel really good. And I am going to have to take back all the bad things I have said about Ohio because right now they are alright.

Hop

That girl in the bunny hat
332's the peak of realistic optimism given how comically close FL is

(but I'm holding out for 347 anyway)

Even though 332 is Silver's most common projection right now (14%), I still have to think the current-state-of-the-polls 303 (9%) is more likely than that or 347 (10%). Because that's how I chicken little.

RDreamer

Note, for that WI turnout in the Ras poll:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/06/05/1097599/-Breaking-Madison-Turnout-Over-100

It's because they allow same day registration and count turnout against prior registration.

Amazing.

As I said before, I really hope this doesn't lead to Walker fucking over same day registration. I love that I can do that, and I've done it a few times.

Also, if Madison is getting that high of turnout, then there's no way Obama loses Wisconsin.

pigeon

Banned

Best case scenario of Obama winning every swing state: http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=UgA

Comedy/Latino Decisions scenario: http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_predictions.php?mapid=UgG

Personally, I think VA, CO, FL, and NC are all possibles if the numbers move towards Obama as they might be doing, in order of likeliness. I hope he picks up at least one of them just to take the pressure off Ohio -- if he wins WI/IA/NV/NH and one other swing state, it really doesn't matter if there's a recount in Ohio.

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
Amazing.

As I said before, I really hope this doesn't lead to Walker fucking over same day registration. I love that I can do that, and I've done it a few times.
North Dakota is a no registration state, which is awesome. I bet if the state went Blue, that might change though. FRAUD!!11

Yup. It's really miserable for them, must be. And man, there's just nothing left to change the trajectory either. Early voting has already started and massively favored Obama; all polls continue to show a 2-3 point lead for him. Repubs are going to try to make a Lena Dunham web ad into a controversy to change minds? Shows precisely how much flailing is going on.

I think Kasich has almost given up on Romney at this point and is more worried about keeping his job in 2014.

Which is probably a wise move, since he managed to piss off every organized labor group in the state, and unlike Scott Walker, he has fuck-all to show for it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Why doesn't Georgia go blue, btw? I was looking at the 2008 county results and the whole middle of the state is a solid line of heavy Democratic turnout it seems. And all the big cities seem to have big D turnout as well. What gives?

The same reason the majority of the country is red and Obama still wins elections

RDreamer

That corndog party sounds awesome!

I don't even get what they were doing there. It's like they're painting him as this intellectual that doesn't care about normal folk sorts of thens, but then hey, the dude loves partying and corndogs. That's kind of opposite of what they were going with.

Wolf:"The president is ahead in a lot of these national polls, but as of late those national polls don't mean as much as state ones do"

Wait what? Is this a real quote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom