• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

Mau ®;149008736 said:
first of all this Kanye's single from his new album. Not R8's lead.

The R8 lead is "A Night".

Do you have a reference for this or are you making an assumption because the song was registered on her BMI much like Gaga did with Temple six months ago

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I can't stop cackling
HEW decided to sit down and think that the world wants an acoustic album where Paul Mccartney plays guitar and Kanye does the singing and rihanna does some screeching
NOT A SINGLE SOUL asked for this

ibpKsy1nnEwjkE.gif

Do you have a reference for this or are you making an assumption because the song was registered on her BMI much like Gaga did with Temple six months ago

reading ATRL it seems that this is a song thats both on R8 and Kanye's new album
But its getting hourly plays on radio stations all weekend, was released by rihanna with an itunes link to Rihannas page so lbr its her lead single

rude

Banned
I can't stop cackling
HEW decided to sit down and think that the world wants an acoustic album where Paul Mccartney plays guitar and Kanye does the singing and rihanna does some screeching
NOT A SINGLE SOUL asked for this
clearly someone who knows how to get people talking. sitting there writing about how much you're cackling while this track gets yet another play. playing perfectly into this flawless i$land plan. drag yourself.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
clearly someone who knows how to get people talking. sitting there writing about how much you're cackling while this track gets yet another play. playing perfectly into this flawless i$land plan. drag yourself.

Yet another play?
niece I've listened to it once and I don't plan on ever listening again
y'all can act like this is some new hot shit but the second she releases something new and decent this track will be dropped from the public conciousness faster than Michelle Williams was and you know it

rude

Banned
Who's arguing that this throwaway song is fire? You're really struggling, dear. Rih has got you a bit[T] heated and I'm living for it.

rude

Banned
Sam was rude for cropping riffraff out of that pic and lying to his stans, but I don't understand the hate he receives. Don't like his awful ass monotone and melancholic music, but he seems like an articulate, well meaning person.

Zutroy

reading ATRL it seems that this is a song thats both on R8 and Kanye's new album
But its getting hourly plays on radio stations all weekend, was released by rihanna with an itunes link to Rihannas page so lbr its her lead single
Just looked at the iTunes metadata and it has Rihanna as the album artists, so that perhaps indicated it's more likely to be her lead?

Vazduh

Hey, at least this is a better lead single than "Russian Roulette". I still have faith in Rhenna delivering the goods!

Sam was rude for cropping riffraff out of that pic and lying to his stans, but I don't understand the hate he receives. Don't like his awful ass monotone and melancholic music, but he seems like an articulate, well meaning person.

I think that people dislike him for not being attractive. I mean, let's be real, if he were Apollo incarnate, nobody would have made jokes on his account.

A JoJo-sized mess of mismanagement, except without the talent.

I remember she was a "YouTube sensation" way back when I was in high school. To even call The Voice a lateral move would be fairly generous.

Justin Timberlake should be ashamed.

Forgot to reply to this. My biggest issue with Esmee is that she never had enough charisma to be a star, even back when Justine signed her to his label. If she wanted, she could be a great background vocalist since her voice is generic enough not to overpower someone else's, but a future star she ain't, unless she's changed completely over the past few years.

It's understandable why she auditioned for The Voice UK since it beats working at a froyo stand - where she actually works now. Good luck to her.

honestly can you blame sam? who wouldn't cut out shitraff in a picture?

royalan

Woah, first single?

I might be totally here for this Rih era. Give me more unexpected sis

Yeah, on one hand, as pleasant as the song is, I think it's safe to say that it's a far cry from the big, bombastic comeback everyone was expecting from Rih. And despite the huge names attached to it, I'm having a hard time picturing this song actually topping any charts.

But that said, this is the kind of shit I like seeing veteran artists do. Rihanna's already proven herself, and we know the bops are coming. So why not experiment and try something different? Only basics make themselves slaves to trends.

This is the kind of thing Madonna used to do.

FourFiveSeconds is really bland. Nothing in the song hooks me at all. I certainly don't think that if a song's catchy it's automatically good. But I also think a song can't be good unless there is something to hook me. FourFiveSeconds is meandering and seems to serve no purpose beyond showing Rih can do Real Music™.

Hey, at least this is a better lead single than "Russian Roulette". I still have faith in Rhenna delivering the goods!

Have I slipped into an alternate reality? Russian Roulette shits on FourFiveSeconds from a meteoric heighT.

Floridian

I like the song and I hope it smashes but it's like, that unexpected choice though. I'd really like to hear an interview from Rih on why she chose FourFiveSeconds as her Lead to get her perspective.

royalan

I agree with Vaz.

Russian Roulette reminds me a lot of Xtina's Not Myself Tonight: It was an attempt to follow trends and cater to audience expectations, but it just ended up being a bad song.

45S isn't a bad song, it's just not what anyone was expecting.

Majmun

Just discovered Take Me To Church by Hozier. What kind of modern classic already?

This better snatch the Best Song of the Year Grammy Award.

Majmun

WAIT... y'all still talking about 45shits? Totally forgot about that crap.

Rihanna is dead to me if her era has more of such crap. Total career-killing move imo

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Yeah, on one hand, as pleasant as the song is, I think it's safe to say that it's a far cry from the big, bombastic comeback everyone was expecting from Bey. And despite the huge names attached to it, I'm having a hard time picturing this song actually topping any charts.

But that said, this is the kind of shit I like seeing veteran artists do. Beyonce's already proven herself, and we know the bops are coming. So why not experiment and try something different? Only basics make themselves slaves to trends.

this message from a time capsule, dated december 13th 2013

cory64

"Just A Little While" was the lead single to Janet's best album of the 21st Century so R8 might truly slay me.

Both Dallas Austin cowrites too

Matt_

Watch her 2nd single be something ratchet and club-worthy, then all the backlash will disappear~

yes because thats what people expect and wanted out of her so there is no reason for a backlash

The snippets Mau posted are great. She can work slower tracks, her last era proved that, but I'm not here for this stripped down nonsense

Praying that the rest of the album is different and that the second single is hurried out the door

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
My chief problem is that it's too safe for Macca. I know he has a reputation (not entirely undeserved) as the sentimental, more melodic songwriter from The Beatles, but he was also capable of pushing the boat out and shocking people (Helter Skelter).

Especially with Kanye there, I'm surprised that he didn't push for something a little more shocking from Macca. Though I suppose Macca is probably one of the few people in the world whom Kanye might defer to musically.

royalan

Why do people still care about the iTunes charts? Like they still mean something...

I mean, when Azealia Bank's album hit #3 on the chart and everyone was talking about that being a big deal, then we found out she only did 9k first week? Kiii

iTunes charts are no longer a measure of real impact. It's a measure of what 13 year-olds are buying.

RIP iTunes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom