• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGaf OT-X | Confirmed: Mariah Carey is the Queen of PopGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Katy doesn't need validation from this awards show. Prism and Teenage Dream are seminal moments in pop history. Not me getting into international smile at the gym this morning.
There's nothing "seminal" about PRISM. Nobody is going to look back on PRISM and think "yeah, that influenced pop music for years!"

Teenage Dream - yes. PRISM - no.

Touchdown

Banned
But waiT, not Touchdown being right about Beyonce and RnB. Mess

I had a feeling when I saw she was serving up Emancipation of Mimi era teas

tumblr_njhcugh6lC1th0lu3o1_400.jpg
tumblr_njhcugh6lC1th0lu3o2_400.jpg

Omg also mess @ Ellie contributing to the 50 shades soundtrack
Why are so many of the pop girls all talk when it comes to feminism? Like they love tweeting about it and mentioning it in interviews but they never back that shit up. Ugh.

Omg also mess @ Ellie contributing to the 50 shades soundtrack
Why are so many of the pop girls all talk when it comes to feminism? Like they love tweeting about it and mentioning it in interviews but they never back that shit up. Ugh.

Because at the end of the day they're in an industry that is made to make money.

Money always wins.

Looks like Banks is celebrating.

sdorFSq.png

The problem with this is that it went Into worst hands, so I don't see how this helps black history month. When black men are automatically looked to as wife beating, thuggish criminals that have mommy and sometimes lack of father figure issues, Eminem gets a free pass on all of that because he speaks to middle America.

rhandino

Banned
lbr, What happened to Kanye?

His solo and the 45 Seconds colab are so fucking weird... I like 45 Seconds but is really weird since I never would have imagined Rihanna and him doing songs like those two.

Floridian

But did yall peep Iggy face when she lost record of the year? She waspressed.

I was pressed with her too because I wanted Sia to win at least something instead of Same Smith sweeping with same song.

Edit: Ik, a little hypocritical because Beyonce got 2 grammies as well for the same song, but that song is great :mad:

rude

Banned
lbr, What happened to Kanye?

His solo and the 45 Seconds colab are so fucking weird... I like 45 Seconds but is really weird since I never would have imagined Rihanna and him doing songs like those two.
What are you even talking about? I s2g you sound perpetually confused in all of your comments. Kanye tries different sounds literally all the time; 45S isn't weird considering the scope of his career.

rhandino

Banned
What are you even talking about? I s2g you sound perpetually confused in all of your comments. Kanye tries different sounds literally all the time; 45S isn't weird considering the scope of his career.
45 Seconds really is weird from Rihanna... Kanye is not one of the ones I follow closely though so I don't know if he tries new sounds all the time. Sorry for asking I guess.

overcast

Well from Kanye those songs are massively disappointing to me. May not at all be indicative of his next album though.

Kanye's interview with E after is phenomenal.

Floridian

Dénouement;151218938 said:
LISTEN UP YOU INCORRECTLY POSTING STALE ASS GIF SHADING LANALLAH STAN. YOU ARE LUCKY I'M A JUNIOR AND TERRIFIED OF STEPPING EVEN A TOE OUT OF LINE HERE. MADONNA IS A 56. SHE HAD MORE ENERGY THAN ROBOTNEY HAS SHOWN IN 15 YEARS AND YOU WILL SHOW IN 30 YEARS, LET ALONE 5.

tumblr_n8t21sx9Xp1rfduvxo1_250.gif

tmarques

How were Mimi's nominations this year?

She's over. If Madonna can sell 2 million copies of that MDNA crap, you'd think Mariah could do the same with an album that was actually decent. And judging by the fact that she can't even be bothered to open her mouth when lip-synching these days, I don't see her making a comeback any time soon. She either doesn't care or is completely delusional about the state of her career.

Mau ®

The Grammy's were great.

WHAT HAPPENED TO POPGAF PODCAST? WHAT HAPPENED TO POPGAF GRAMMYS?
ii2ElSfR9kPvF.gif

Ya'll need to chill. The Podcast is coming this week. Roysus & I are rihviewing the grammy's + more stuff. Have patience like with Charli XCX's album release in all markets :)

Touchdown

Banned
She's over.

That's what they said about her in 2001. But she rose like a phoenix cementing her legendary status in 2005-2007. I expect the same thing to happen yet again. I also wouldn't compare MDNA's album to MIAMTEC being that there is a 2 and a half year difference between releases.

3phemeral

Trying to catch up to these Grammy performances and have only seen two so far:

Gaga: I get it. It's a collaborative album and it needs to be sold that way but that song is just so boring. That and when they sing that "I want my arm around you, the charm about you" grates my ears. Would have preferred Lush Life somehow smashed into it.

Beyonce: I didn't feel it. Great vocals but the singing felt hollow, over-rehearsed and contrived. The hand flapping and intimate gazes into the camera felt more like items on her performance checklist than genuine reactions.

Can't say I'm looking forward to catching up on the rest

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Mau ®;151270265 said:
Ya'll need to chill. The Podcast is coming this week. Roysus & I are rihviewing the grammy's + more stuff. Have patience like with Charli XCX's album release in all markets :)

More like Azealia Banks BWET release.

royalan

Trying to catch up to these Grammy performances and have only seen two so far:

Gaga: I get it. It's a collaborative album and it needs to be sold that way but that song is just so boring. That and when they sing that "I want my arm around you, the charm about you" grates my ears.

Beyonce: I didn't feel it. Great vocals but the singing felt hollow, over-rehearsed and contrived. The hand flapping and intimate gazes into the camera felt more like items on her performance checklist than genuine reactions.

Can't say I'm looking forward to catching up on the rest

I agree. You're supposed to be singing a gospel song from your heart, but you have everything including the "trembling with the Holy Spirit" hand motions finely rehearsed? That would be fine for any other type of performance, but for an intimate performance it comes off as fake. And the last thing you want to be while singing a gospel song is fake.

Then again, what did anybody expect from someone with no soul singing gospel?

Beyonce performance certainly touched my soul. I think she did it justice. What I appreciated about it the most is that she didn't go all out and blow all over the place like others would do to show off their range. She calculated her voice which I think is fine for the Grammys.

I just don't think that blowing all over the place would of shown justice. The shaking the hand part, Idk. I think it was no different than getting prepared to control yourself for a big finish. That's all.

Here's my attempt at being Entertainment Weekly and grading these performances. Granted I didn't see all of them, but the ones that I wanted to see are relevant to pop:

MAROON 5 + GWEN STEFANI: Not sure whose song this was but it was a complete dumper. Gwen Stefani forcing a ballad tone can be pretty messy, and in this case it was. Adam didn't fare much better I don't think. D

SIA: Definitely the best performance of the night; the set was beautiful, Kristin Wiig was on point, everything flowed beautifully and Sia's voice was polished up that night too. True ARTOP right hurr. A+

LADY GAGA + TONY BENNETT: Another standout. Gaga served Jessica Rabbit sass and her vocals were pristine. I love watching these two together and it's nice to see an couple pairing at the Grammys that isn't riddled with awkward exchanges and chemistry. Would have liked to see Lush Life too but oh well. A

HOZIER + ANNIE LENNOX: Hozier's slowed down version of Take Me To Church was a little blah, but once Annie Lennox started serving I was 100% in. Her air harmonica was legendary. The power in her voice still stands tall. I'm in love with this woman. B+

PHARRELL: The set was a weird It's A Small World meets Sunday church getup, and the overdramatized rendition in the beginning was a bit much, but this song's cute and he was cute too. I kinda want that gay bellboy outfit too. B-

KATY PERRY: The introduction about domestic violence was definitely a great moment, and By The Grace of God is a nice ballad. She did a serviceable job vocally, about as much as you'd expect. The silhouette backdrop did feel very art school 101, but overall a pretty moving moment. B-

RIHANNA, KANYE WEST, PAUL MCCARTNEY: Another great Grammy moment. Rihanna served the best vocals I've ever heard out of her thus far, somehow besting her studio vocals. There was a fun chemistry between the three of them here and I hope this gives the song the second push it deserves. It's a quirky understated song and they served it well. A

KANYE WEST: Speaking of understated, this one was definitely a bit shake-and-go, but it was a touching few minutes and I appreciated it. A nice change of pace from the sort of grandiose tableaus I expect from him, but it still didn't leave me very impacted. C+

MADONNA: I had pretty high expectations for this performance, since it's been years since Madonna's had a proper Grammy performance to promote a new single. The last major one I can remember was back when she did Hung Up with The Gorillaz, so I was pumped. Sort of disappointed that she just re-enacted the music video, and she gave more like 75% than 100% like I hoped, but it was still nice to see her serving on the big stage and showing the other bitches how it's done. And I LOVE that song. B+

BEYONCE: Beyonce's not someone I would fish for to give me a soulful rendition of a gospel song, and while her vocals were on point she was still serving "Say Yes" face throughout. I always like to see Beyonce let go and unhinge while singing soulful ballads but she rarely indulges. She did this song justice though and vocally it was definitely a highlight, as you'd expect. B+

It's too bad that all these big names came out on stage to sing such snoozer songs; the only pop star who really stepped up to deliver a high octane performance was Madonna, and to a lesser extent Sia.

3phemeral

Sia: Getting severely burnt out by these performances. And the lowered key makes the chorus less glorious.

Madonna: Serving Elsa Mars teas.

Ariana: Literally, yawn.

Pharrell: Kinda wanted that epilepsy-inducing, post-apocalyptic vacation in the hotel lobby to last a little longer - and I don't even care for the original.

Rihanna: Cute performance.

John Legend and Common: Really enjoyed that.

That's all I cared to watch.

Overall, pretty boring. Annie Lennox was probably the best performance for me.

Mau ®

A quick kworb look gives me the impression that the biggest gainers in sales are Ed Sheeran and Rihanna. Although their singles were already quite popular to begin with.

Mau ®;151285001 said:
Kanye West is executive producing R8.

pwisjhdolieawhfpwedihvpw YASSSSS

Executive producing? That's weird. That probably means he isn't very hands on like a producer would be. I doubt this means anything tbh

Vazduh

Mau ®;151285001 said:
Kanye West is executive producing R8.

pwisjhdolieawhfpwedihvpw YASSSSS

It would be great if he actually produced some songs, too, because he's a great producer.

The last album exec-produced by Kanye was Theophilus London's Vibes, and it was both slick and cohesive. I'm expecting the same from Rhenna's upcoming opus now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom