• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

My cries for female rappers. Their careers are short lived unless they do something smart like Queen Latifah. Nicki can stay queen of a empty castle for all she cares.

tumblr_mdaal9dsSo1rjrlvwo1_500.gif

You know, I used to believe this, but now I'm not so sure.

On one hand, it's true that breaking into Hip Hop is a much more difficult thing for women. Rap is still VERY MUCH a man's man's man's world, and as the fellas over at GAF HOP made clear to me a while back, a significant chunk of that market does not check for female MCs by simple virtue of the fact that they're female MCs. (HighResDes feel free to weigh in on that since we seem to have your attention at the moment. ;) )

But, with that being said, I'm hard pressed to remember a popular female MC who didn't punch HERSELF out the game.

Lil Kim - fucked her own career up by trying to remain loyal to a bunch of fucking dumbasses and ended up getting herself sent to jail.

Foxy Brown - The many ways this once-promising MC fucked her own career up due to her own fuckery are well publicized. In short: let herself be done in by an expensive bottle of weave glue.

Remy Ma - Shot her cousin in the stomach for taking money out of her purse. Was later surprised to learn that those actions carried jail sentences in this country.

Rah Digga - Busta Rhymes' dick must be a hell of a drug...

Shawnna - Let her own ego get too big too quick.

The list goes on.

I think there's room in the market for a female rapper that plays the game right and doesn't let stupid decisions/men/motherhood derail her career. I mean, just look at Missy.

RubyFaith

Just realized that Azelia's Atlantis reminds me of MIA's basment video "Galaang". Collaboration please.

You know, I used to believe this, but now I'm not so sure.

On one hand, it's true that breaking into Hip Hop is a much more difficult thing for women. Rap is still VERY MUCH a man's man's man's world, and as the fellas over at GAF HOP made clear to me a while back, a significant chunk of that market does not check for female MCs by simple virtue of the fact that they're female MCs. (HighResDes feel free to weigh in on that since we seem to have your attention at the moment. ;) )

But, with that being said, I'm hard pressed to remember a popular female MC who didn't punch HERSELF out the game.

Lil Kim - fucked her own career up by trying to remain loyal to a bunch of fucking dumbasses and ended up getting herself sent to jail.

Foxy Brown - The many ways this once-promising MC fucked her own career up due to her own fuckery are well publicized. In short: let herself be done in by an expensive bottle of weave glue.

Remy Ma - Shot her cousin in the stomach for taking money out of her purse. Was later surprised to learn that those actions carried jail sentences in this country.

Rah Digga - Busta Rhymes' dick must be a hell of a drug...

Shawnna - Let her own ego get too big too quick.

The list goes on.

I think there's room in the market for a female rapper that plays the game right and doesn't let stupid decisions/men/motherhood derail her career. I mean, just look at Missy.

It's true that a lot of female rappers were ruined due to personal issues that could have been avoided, Lauryn Hill was amazing and then she just lost her damn mind.
:[

Nicki is doing extremely well for many reasons. She has Young Money. She's bringing more pop into her music which sells like crazy--especially the catchy ones like Starships. She's really good at rapping and I think the biggest factor of all is that she literally has no competition.
She played her cards out very smartly by becoming versatile but there's no doubt in my mind that she would need to turn to something else for long term success other than going for the hasbeen female rapper just like Kim.

Ties

Banned
Nicki is doing extremely well for many reasons. She has Young Money. She's bringing more pop into her music which sells like crazy--especially the catchy ones like Starships. She's really good at rapping and I think the biggest factor of all is that she literally has no competition.
She played her cards out very smartly by becoming versatile but there's no doubt in my mind that she would need to turn to something else for long term success other than going for the hasbeen female rapper just like Kim.
iPN9ZXKKGv9YV.gif

maybe once azealia finds her weave back and gets a loan from dollar tree

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Nicki just said she aint doing no more pop

and that her next album will be called Pink Friday: The Pinkprint <--- probably a joke but you never know with her

mess, my stanning is being tested

iQYhhii3AvrDq.gif

Trigger

and that her next album will be called Pink Friday: The Pinkprint <--- probably a joke but you never know with her

I'll cackle to death if she actually chooses that as a title.

Ties

Banned
...oh.

Azelia is considered underground still, no?
as long as she keeps getting rejected in features by everyone that could possibly break her out then yes
iPN9ZXKKGv9YV.gif

iQYhhii3AvrDq.gif
iPN9ZXKKGv9YV.gif

girl dont even front

you know this bitch will go super bass and vvv direction for her next album

Anyways back to discussion of REAL singers with REAL talent.

LCtNI.jpg

Kelly releasing Catch My Breath music video tomorrow.

Will be at the AMA's on the 18th.

Followed by Ellen on the 20th.

Also heard that they will be releasing a Don't Rush music video on the 19th.

November is shaping up to be a good month.

R8ev7.png

I don't have much invested in these girls careers as you all seem to. But I will say, as far as actual music, skill, and overall presence. I'll ride with Azealia. Nicki might be hot shit right now, but lets not presume to think that her shtick will work in her favor indefinitely.

The music industry is littered with dozens of failed femcee careers. Nicki may be able to branch out into acting like Queen Latifah and Eve, or at the very least be able to narrate BET events up in the skybox with MC Lyte and Jesus. But lets not for a moment assume that Nicki with her childish lyrics, and her weak flow will somehow elevate her higher than some of the best to ever do it.

In other news, the True Queen slayed on SNL. I cannot wait for her new album.
I may even buy it!

tumblr_mdcrcf6EkG1rc2owqo1_500.jpg

Artemisia

Banned
and how are you gonna give an album with a title like UNAPOLOGETIC a cover with a picture of rihanna looking innocent and vulnerable?

a mess.

royalan

The music industry is littered with dozens of failed femcee careers. Nicki may be able to branch out into acting like Queen Latifah and Eve, or at the very least be able to narrate BET events up in the skybox with MC Lyte and Jesus. But lets not for a moment assume that Nicki with her childish lyrics, and her weak flow will somehow elevate her higher than some of the best to ever do it.

The music industry is littered with dozens of failed femcee careers. Nicki may be able to branch out into acting like Queen Latifah and Eve, or at the very least be able to narrate BET events up in the skybox with MC Lyte and Jesus.

Nicki may be able to branch out into acting like Queen Latifah and Eve

How did I forget to include HA in my list!?!?

The PRIME example of a Femcee punching HASELF out the game!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom