• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummm Nicki doesn't sing

ibaMLSpoKQDwEY.gif

She really really likes to try. lol

royalan

Tbh I'm surprised both Diamonds and What's My Name (ohnananana banana) were bigger songs for Rih than We Found Love. There was so much fanfare surrounding that song it just SEEMED like her biggest hit.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Tbh I'm surprised both Diamonds and What's My Name (ohnananana banana) were bigger songs for Rih than We Found Love. There was so much fanfare surrounding that song it just SEEMED like her biggest hit.

She clocked more weeks at #1 with WFL than both of those combined (so far, at least), but the amount of airplay she's received on the radio is bigger for Diamonds (arguably, as you can see in this thread), than either of the aforementioned hits.

Mau ®

You are still wrong. AI now is NOT comparable to the past. Its a stupid metric.....its useful when comparing songs out at the same time....NOT for comparing songs from different years. Whether the change was due to adding stations, or the formula, the result was the same....songs since the change have had their AI massively inflated as compared to under the old system.

LOL what the fuck are you even talking about?

The formula for measuring airplay is the same in Mediabase. What has happened is that stations change formats and thus the AI points and spins count towards another format as opposed to the previous format.

THE REASON airplay is higher today than 10 years ago is that there are more radio stations NOW than 10 years ago and thus market & demographic reach is bigger. If TOP 40 is higher today its because there are way more top 40 stations now.

However Whats My Name was 2 years ago. In fact it peaked around January-Feb 2011. Youre talking as if it was ancient history. Its hilarious how you're trying to discredit everything she does. Amazing.

Aguila

#ICONIC
What was the last album that did this? Usher's Confessions or Norah Jones's Come Away With Me?

I have no clue, but here are some facts:

• Adele is the only artist or band in the last decade to earn an RIAA Diamond award for a one disc album in less than two years.

* Double discs “Up” (Mercury Nashville) by Shania Twain’s and “Speakerboxxx/The Love Below” (So So Def) by Outkast certified Diamond in less than two years in 2003 and 2004 respectively. Each disc counted towards certification per official G&P Program rules. Adele’s milestone was reached with a one disc album.*

• The last time any artist certified a one disc album Diamond in less than two years was ‘N Sync for “No Strings Attached” (Jive) in 2000.

• During the past decade, some 20 albums have been first-time RIAA Diamond certified for more than 10 million in U.S. sales, and counting. Only five of those 20 were also released during the last decade.

• Adele is the only British or European female solo act in history to earn an RIAA Diamond award.

• Adele is the sixth female solo artist in Gold & Platinum Program history to earn a Diamond award in less than two years. She joins the ranks of other female Diamond acts Celine Dion, The Dixie Chicks, Whitney Houston, Alanis Morissette, Britney Spears, TLC and Shania Twain.

• Adele is the only British or European artist or band in RIAA Gold & Platinum Program history to earn a Diamond award in less than two years. (source)

Trigger

Wow, dat slayage. What elite company too. *.*

She should rename the album to Forever 21 to better signify its performance on the charts.

Mau ®

You have to remember tho that Whats My Name and Diamonds had multiformat appeal. Both were played a lot on urban stations.

We Found Love was 100% pop and thus more limited to one format only.

WFL was a bigger hit in terms of sales and chart power tho. It did hit #1 on radio too tho it wasnt as big as WMN or Diamonds.

LOL what the fuck are you even talking about?

The formula for measuring airplay is the same in Mediabase. What has happened is that stations change formats and thus the AI points and spins count towards another format as opposed to the previous format.

THE REASON airplay is higher today than 10 years ago is that there are more radio stations NOW than 10 years ago and thus reach is bigger. If TOP 40 is higher today its because there are way more top 40 stations now.

However Whats My Name was 2 years ago. In fact it peaked around January-Feb 2011. Youre talking as if it was ancient history. Its hilarious how you're trying to discredit everything she does. Amazing.
You cannot find one example of me trying to "discredit" her in the past......you are pretty much making shit up. As I said....lets not get petty.

So if you think magically one day early this year 40 million people just woak up and decided to start listening to the radio you are wrong. IF....and ONLY IF AI was being constantly updated (aka they adjusted AI constantly to make up for demo changes) would AI be comparable across larger periods of time. They don't do that.....they wait till its WAY off then make massive adjustments. As a result AI is, and will always be, a shitty metric to use for anything long term....(yes a year or two is long term when an adjustment of this size occurs.)

Trigger

Wafflecakes and ITZ's discussion is the most intellectual argument this thread will see for the next week. Savor it.

Can we talk about how she only managed to do that by transitioning to pop?

Can we talk about how there's only been two years in said decade?

royalan

You know what? Imma let you have this, but I swear sometimes it feels like you are begging to be dragged to the pits.

You ain't letting me have shit. Whats there to even drag here? She debuted in the top ten amongst other albums that performed similarly (1D was the only debut that week to put up genuinely impressive numbers). And of the albums that debuted that week Lotus had the lowest second week drop percentage. I mean, what's the tea?

Mau ®

So if you think magically one day early this year 40 million people just woak up and decided to start listening to the radio you are wrong.

Youre talking about the big boost of september-october (dont remember the date) then its because of the format changes that some stations did recently. Most transitioned to TOP 40. And it wasnt 40 MILLION... it was 10-12 million. Dont exaggerate.

And if you didnt notice the songs that gained that airplay LOST MOST OF IT on the rolling effect update a week later. So it wasnt a real increase. Just format change.

.yes a year or two is long term when an adjustment of this size occurs.

See above.

Youre talking about the big boost of september-october (dont remember the date) then its because of the format changes that some stations did recently. Most transitioned to TOP 40. And it wasnt 40 MILLION... it was 10-12 million. Dont exaggerate.

And if you didnt notice the songs that gained that airplay LOST MOST OF IT on the rolling effect update a week later. So it wasnt a real increase. Just format change.

See above.

Show me. Thats not how I remember it.

(They really need to tabulate all this in an easy to access format.)

I major in political science so I know this feeling.

Not that I pay attention to radio formats and stuff.

But even Flop Bey sells better than most. Didn't 4 have good sales?

Lol i was a poli sci major for a couple years....switched to history though. Still a data junky.

Only reason I am familiar with AI is because the shift happened somewhere around Kelly Clarkson's Stronger album singles so I was paying attention.

umm....

i5IfaQTx4lSK9.gif

joking obviously

I thought the other one was Rihstrain? Did Beyonce even get a top ten hit in 2011?

EDIT: Goddamn it Marius

Either way, she'll learn to hit harder in 2013, and she won't let Gaga steal her thunder again
by releasing her album earlier this time

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Either way, she'll learn to hit harder in 2013, and she won't let Gaga steal her thunder again
by releasing her album earlier this time

Again? Girl Beyonce had the field wide open. At the time she released Run The World, Gaga was facing the flop that was Judas

It was her own fault

royalan

Again? Girl Beyonce had the field wide open. At the time she released Run The World, Gaga was facing the flop that was Judas

It was her own fault

This, tbh. Run The World (Girls) was such a colossal and obvious mistake of a single...even I was shocked.

Beyonce snatched her own wig with that one.

It was her own fault

She didn't even promote the song, she just threw it out on iTunes. If she opened with End of Time or Countdown and promoted it at least a little bit, the era would have gotten its momentum.

She did three things wrong:

1) Wrong first single
2) Very little promo before the album release
3) Scattered choices with singles: She went from releasing 1+1 on iTunes, to announcing Best Thing I've Never Had as the second single, to releasing a Countdown video, to performing Love On Top at the VMAs. I don't think she really had much of a plan with organizing the promo which is why the album didn't spawn a single smash

Mau ®

I see DMJ posted the updates... I was having a hard time finding them.

Anyway thats an example of what happens when Mediabase makes its bi-annual station format transitions. The updates get inflated considerably but will lose most (not all tho) by the next week.

It is true that airplay is higher now than a few years ago (around 10M-15M tops). But not enough to say Diamonds, WFL and WMN are not comparable to each other given how recently they were released.

My argument is not about specific songs.

Its that AI is a shitty metric.

I see DMJ posted the updates... I was having a hard time finding them.

Anyway thats an example of what happens when Mediabase makes its bi-annual station format transitions. The updates get inflated considerably but will lose most (not all tho) by the next week.

It is true that airplay is higher now than a few years ago (around 10M-15M tops). But not enough to say Diamonds, WFL and WMN are not comparable to each other given how recently they were released.

AI 20-30 million higher now than at beginning of year for top songs.

Last week of January THIS year.

TW TW+ Artist and Title Spins Spin+ Bullet Bullet+ Aud Aud+ iTunes
1 = BRUNO MARS It Will Rain 13539 +6 28 +23 84.215 -0.442 13
2 +1 KATY PERRY The One That Got Aw... 13377 +12 33 +55 79.903 -0.033 16
3 -1 RIHANNA We Found Love f/Calvin... 13303 -77 -472 +16 91.436 -0.188 6
4 = FLO RIDA Good Feeling 12840 +49 594 -119 84.404 -0.033 4
5 = ADELE Set Fire To The Rain 10069 +158 1582 -44 65.270 +1.170 2

TOP 10

1. RIHANNA - We Found Love f/Calvin Harris: 152.452 (- 0.157)
2. BRUNO MARS - It Will Rain: 140.264 (+ 0.362)
3. FLO RIDA - Good Feeling: 127.107 (+ 0.330)
4. KATY PERRY - The One That Got Away: 123.443 (+ 0.137)
5. ADELE - Set Fire To The Rain: 103.992 (+ 2.109)
6. JAY Z & KANYE WEST - N***** In Paris: 95.846 (- 0.211)
7. LMFAO - Sexy And I Know It: 84.969 (- 0.661)
8. DAVID GUETTA - Without You f/Usher: 82.795 (+ 0.162)
9. J. COLE - Workout: 78.618 (- 0.006)
10. ADELE - Someone Like You: 76.557 (- 0.653)

Last week.

1 = KE$HA Die Young 14595 +97 1423 -193 112.995 +0.733 2
2 = MAROON 5 One More Night 13888 -122 -472 -40 108.442 -1.498 10
3 = FUN. Some Nights 12388 -126 -523 +1 86.863 -0.911 9
4 = NE-YO Let Me Love You 11410 +41 590 -27 89.236 -0.078 24
5 = BRUNO MARS Locked Out Of Heave... 11314 +182 1854 -116 88.789 +1.845 '

TOP 20
1. MAROON 5 – One More Night: 185.776 (- 2.072)
2. RIHANNA – Diamonds: 160.244 (+ 0.862)
3. KE$HA – Die Young: 147.816 (+ 1.047)
4. NE-YO – Let Me Love You: 144.505 (- 0.217) ▲
5. FUN. – Some Nights: 143.646 (- 1.519) ▼
6. BRUNO MARS – Locked Out Of Heaven: 137.278 (+ 2.416)
7. ALEX CLARE – Too Close: 123.850 (- 1.170)
8. CHRIS BROWN – Don’t Wake Me Up: 101.733 (- 2.167)
9. TAYLOR SWIFT – We Are Never Ever Getting…: 100.533 (- 2.067)
10. MIGUEL – Adorn: 95.583 (- 0.806)
11. FLO RIDA – I Cry: 94.120 (+ 1.118)
12. PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Home: 92.565 (+ 0.460)
13. JUSTIN BIEBER – As Long As You Love Me: 86.691 (- 0.767)
14. LUMINEERS – Ho Hey: 84.920 (+ 1.705) ▲
15. PINK – Blow Me (One Last Kiss): 83.296 (- 0.943) ▼
16. ED SHEERAN – The A Team: 65.986 (+ 1.413) ▲
17. JAKE OWEN – The One That Got Away: 64.726 (+ 0.002) ▼
18. NICKI MINAJ – Va Va Voom: 63.811 (+ 0.731)
19. FLORIDA-GEORGIA LINE – Cruise: 63.364 (+ 0.373)
20. KANYE WEST – Clique f/Big Sean & JAY-Z: 61.579 (- 0.006) ▲

30 Million AI difference between top song. Gap smaller but still significant as you go down chart. Lets not pretend some shit didn't hit the fan.

Servbot24

Banned
Well I'm finally going to try Unapologetic.
Just finished the overpowering piece of god-music to which nothing can compare that is Gabriel Saloman, which means Rih will be under the most brutal scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom