• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
I think there is a difference between having country songs with pop influence, and having pop songs.

"We Are Never Getting Bakothegnjekngk" was pure pop, and pretty much the second coming of "Call Me Maybe?"

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I think there is a difference between having country songs with pop influence, and having pop songs.

"We Are Never Getting Bakothegnjekngk" was pure pop, and pretty much the second coming of "Call Me Maybe?"

Its the other way around. Her songs are pop with country influences.

botty

Banned
Its the other way around. Her songs are pop with country influences.

Bye.
mFeF8j.gif

Well either way I actually appreciated Taylor Swift pre-RED quite a bit, her song-writing was strong and she let it breathe in her songs. Now it's all falsetto coos and lalala's with incredibly esoteric and uninspired lyrics. Juvenile even. One of the most epic downgrades in quality I've seen in a while.

Artemisia

Banned

I still don't understand what point you're making?

Saying she can only sell a million because she transitioned strictly into pop or had pop singles doesn't make ANY SENSE because Speak Now sold a million and didn't have any of that and still crossed the 1M mark.

Not to mention that the pop songs on Red are far outnumbered by the songs that are more country.

There is no way to discredit her incredible feat of selling 1.2M debut week in an era where music sales are declining. Accept iT.

mhm.gif

royalan

Well either way I actually appreciated Taylor Swift pre-RED quite a bit, her song-writing was strong and she let it breathe in her songs. Now it's all falsetto coos and lalala's with incredibly esoteric and uninspired lyrics. Juvenile even. One of the most epic downgrades in quality I've seen in a while.

And where's the goddamn lie?

i5u4xTk8VcL5A.gif

botty

Banned

I agree with this to a certain extent. It is clear that Taylor is a good song writer, however her lyrics are extremely prepubescent. But then we have strokes of genius like "State of Grace" on RED, which makes me think she can actually write to a mature audience. Though, State of Grace is a kind of a pop-rock song.

402739116.jpg

Kyon

Banned
Seeing Kyon defend Alicia is weird, lol.

I may drag her being a Homewrecker but Alicia is successful regardless and has a dedicated fanbase. The nerve of Frontloaded Sales Squint Stans thinking she SLAYS because she sold 1.2 mill is hysterical. The DECLINE is all the more delicious. Meanwhile on LONGETIVITY Adele has achieved Diamond status and has joined the ranks. When will any of Squints albums?
ny15.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I agree with this to a certain extent. It is clear that Taylor is a good song writer, however her lyrics are extremely prepubescent. But then we have strokes of genius like "State of Grace" on RED, which makes me think she can actually write to a mature audience. Though, State of Grace is a kind of a pop-rock song.

402739116.jpg

Now, don't you discredit Treacherous-sus.

402739116.jpg

RT:

I still can't make it all the way through RED in one sitting. Speak Now though.... <33

Artemisia

Banned
I may drag her being a Homewrecker but Alicia is successful regardless and has a dedicated fanbase. The nerve of Frontloaded Sales Squint Stans thinking she SLAYS because she sold 1.2 mill is hysterical. The DECLINE is all the more delicious. Meanwhile on LONGERIVITY Adele has achieved Diamond status and has joined the ranks. When will any of Squints albums?
ny15.gif

ugh the nerve of those squints stans for celebrating their fave for her great opening sales and sales the following weeks (still selling above 150k ever since release). Don't they know that adele is slaying so she can't possible be slaying as well?

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Not seeing how one can drag Unapologetic, and then elevate Red.

While not perfect, RiRi's Opus is lives ahead of boring, sappy Red.

After a barely there album like Talk That Talk, you'd think a worthwhile effort would get the deaf pretty queens all a twitter.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

After a barely there album like Talk That Talk, you'd think a worthwhile effort would get the deaf pretty queens all a twitter.

Bye.

RED might get boring at times but its no vomit inducing noise like Unapologetic

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Kyon

Banned

RIHtweet

iheartrihannaslayingbm0ptg.gif

TTT was indeed trash except you know the singles and Cake

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

You're right tho sis, a worthwhile effort would get the queens all a twitter.

royalan

"Sad Beautiful Tragic" is the pinnacle of Swift's RED songwriting. Catchy, melodic, thoughtful and autobiographical without being a livejournal-esque play-by-play like the rest of that shit album.

I'm thinking of making a ranking of like... my 30 favorite pop albums or something. Only because I was sifting through my phone today and realized there were so many albums from a few years back that I absolutely fell in love with but haven't thought about in a while.

I think I'll do it :)

krypt0nian said:

Talk That Talk is better than Unapologetic though :/

Ties

Banned
Neither are in my top tier fwiw. :p

1. Nadia Oh - Slapper (Ayye)
2. Ke$ha - Crazy Kids
3. Carly Rae Jepsen - Tiny Little Bows

tumblr_mbu8s2Ksmz1rey2fso1_500.gif
Not the worst song from that album
ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

RT

Unapologetic is truly rubbish. Thrown together lazily and rushed, it has no vision, like a 3rd grader doing his science fair project the day before it's due.
Now, this is the kii. Its vision is clear; to depict a confident young female in the industry struggling with love and past problems. This is seen in the first half with Phresh up to Right Now, with the latter ending the facade. What Now begins the second half, some of the songs being some of Rih's most personal, and the deconstruction of a pop star as a regular girl with regular problems. The Right Now to What Now shift in lyrical tone and depth is rather clever, showing that she still carries some bruises and insecurities in her life. You can stop.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Ties

Banned
Not Unapologetic being better than Warrior and RED

are we going to say Lotus is better as well
ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif
Warrior has a few songs that I generally like, but it is all over the damn place sonically.

Girl wanted to show growth, but she takes one step forward and two steps back with each track. RED was a nice attempt though

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Bladenic

Warrior has a few songs that I generally like, but it is all over the damn place sonically.

Girl wanted to show growth, but she takes one step forward and two steps back with each track. RED was a nice attempt though

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Meanwhile Rihanna music sounds exactly the same as it did on Rated R or TTT, her other two "I'm so ghetto and hard" albums. At least Ke$ha used different instruments and incorporated different sounds and genres compared to her debut.

Meh who curr tho

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Such delusions from the Xtina and Rihanna stans.

Stan the fact that your bargain bin faves got their first #1s or some other records (except Xtina stans #oop) but please lets not descend to the deluded depths of pretending that their recent efforts are anything other than half-arsing it. Lets stick to the facts of the matter.

royalan

Such delusions from the Xtina and Rihanna stans.

Stan the fact that your bargain bin faves got their first #1s or some other records (except Xtina stans #oop) but please lets not descend to the deluded depths of pretending that their recent efforts are anything other than half-arsing it. Lets stick to the facts of the matter.

You act as though Xtina stans don't have receipts.

Hell, half these hoes slaying now won't reach half the success of Xtina's "flop" career.

That's certainly true of all of your noted faves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom