• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
Too early for this

iWiNxLBo9WPq.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Warrior has a few songs that I generally like, but it is all over the damn place sonically.

Girl wanted to show growth, but she takes one step forward and two steps back with each track. RED was a nice attempt though

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Girl Rihanna Rihanna's writing camps put as much effort on her album as you did with that Unapologetic OT

ib1dq7qnjUdViE.gif

Such delusions from the Xtina and Rihanna stans.

Stan the fact that your bargain bin faves got their first #1s or some other records (except Xtina stans #oop) but please lets not descend to the deluded depths of pretending that their recent efforts are anything other than half-arsing it. Lets stick to the facts of the matter.

Taking out the trash I see.......where have you been all my life?

Ties

Banned
Meanwhile Rihanna music sounds exactly the same as it did on Rated R or TTT, her other two "I'm so ghetto and hard" albums. At least Ke$ha used different instruments and incorporated different sounds and genres compared to her debut.

Meh who curr tho
I AM HOLLERING

iz0jv7VFys2xo.gif

Name me one song on Rated R or TTT that remotely sounds like the melancholy EDM jam Lost In Paradise, the 90s throwback Nobody's Business, the ponderous alluring production of Loveeeeeeee Song, or the piano centric highlight of the album, Stay. You can simply not come for Rihanna for diversity each era, because this is what she excels at looking at her lead singles alone. Pon de Replay (R&B Uptempo) -> SOS (Dance) -> Umbrella (R&B Uptempo) Russian Roulette (R&B Downtempo) ->Only Girl (Europop) -> We Found Love (EDM) -> Diamonds (Mid-tempo Pop). All of her albums are different beasts, they strive for different goals and artistic vision.

Ke$ha on the other hand has regressed ever since the release of Animal, her magnum opus. Her album is ridden with questionably produced songs. The Supernatural verses and chorus sound as if they come from two entirely different songs, and then for reasons unknown, she decided to throw a Katy Perry-esque track in the form of Only Wanna Dance With You in an album full of synths. It is a sonic mess with a couple of jams in the form of Crazy Kids, Supernatural, and Warrior.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You act as though Xtina stans don't have receipts.

Hell, half these hoes slaying now won't reach half the success of Xtina's "flop" career.

That's certainly true of all of your noted faves.

I meant recently, there's obviously no denying Xtina's past successes.

Actually it's most of you all who are deluded. If anybody else released the Lotus album that wasn't named Christina then you all would be stanning for it right this second. Lotus is the most well-rounded pop album out of any of our faves' releases this year. This I'm very proud of because I stan for the bitch, but it's frustrating that everybody else goes into listening to Lotus with the forgone conclusion that they have to come back here and talk shit about it. It's fun and all, but it's a bit too transparent. I'll take a critique of Lotus seriously once I hear a real critique of it.

Ties

Banned
Girl Rihanna Rihanna's writing camps put as much effort on her album as you did with that Unapologetic OT

ib1dq7qnjUdViE.gif
Absolutely hilarious how you try to come for her when she has writing credits on the majority of the tracks on the album

1. “Phresh Out The Runway” – Written by David Guetta, Giorgio Tuinfort, Terius Nash and R. Fenty. Produced by David Guetta, Giorgio Tuinfort for What A Music Ltd. / Piano Music and Terius Nash for The Nash Estate.

2. “Diamonds” – Written by Sia Furler, B. Levin, M.S. Eriksen and T.E. Hermansen. Produced by Stargate for 45th and 3rd Music LLC & Benny Blanco for Matza Ball Productions Inc.

3. “Numb” – Written by Sam Dew, R. Fenty, Warren Felder, Ronald “Flip” Colson and Pop Wensel. Produced by @Oakwud for GOOOOOOOO!!! Music/The Starr Island Group & @Flippa123 for Private Stock Entertainment/GOOOOOOOO!!! Music/The Starr Island Group & @PopWansel for Private Stock Entertainment/GOOOOOOOO!!!Music/The Starr Island Group

4. “Pour It Up” Written by R. Fenty, Micheal Williams, Theron Thomas and Timmothy Thomas. Produced By Mike Will Made-It for Eardrummers Entertainment LLC and Co-Produced by J-Bo for Eardrummers Entertainment, LLC

5. “Loveeeeeee Song ft Future – Written by Nayvadius Wilburn, Denisea "Blu June" Andrews and R. Fenty. Produced By Future for FreeBandz, LLC

6. “Jump” – Written by Kevin Cossum, M.B. Williams, M.S. Eriksen, T.E. Hermansen, S. Milton and W. Kennard. Produced By Stargate for 45th and 3rd Music LLC and Chase and Status.

7. “Right Now” ft David Guetta – Written by Terius Nash, R. Fenty, David Guetta, Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen, Shaffer Smith, Giorgio Tuinfort and Nick Rotteveel. Produced By David Guetta, StarGate for 45th and 3rd Music LLC, Nicky Romero and Giorgio Tuinfort for What A Music Ltd. / Piano Music

8. “What Now” - Written by Olivia Waithe, Robyn Fenty, Parker Ighile and Nathan Cassells. Produced by Parker Ighile for Ighile Music Group and Co-Produced by Nathan Cassells Deauxpe Music/Regime Music Societe

9. “Stay” ft Mikky Ekko – Written by Mikky Ekko, Justin Parker and Elof Loelv. Produced by: Mikky Ekko, Elof Loelv and Justin Parker

10. “Nobodys Business” ft Chris Brown - Written by Terius Nash, R. Fenty and Carlos McKinney. Produced by The Dream for Radiokilla.com Since 1977 and Carlos McKinney

11. “Love Without Tragedy” – Written by Terius Nash, R. Fenty and Carlos McKinney. Produced by Terius Nash for The Nash Estate and Produced by Carlos "Los" McKinney for da mystro music

“Mother Mary” – Written by Terius Nash, R. Fenty and Carlos McKinney. Produced by: Produced by Terius Nash for The Nash Estate and Produced by Carlos "Los" McKinney for da mystro music

12. “Get It Over With” – Written by James Fauntleroy, R. Fenty and Brian Seals. Produced By Brian Kennedy

13. “ No Love Allowed” – Written by Sean "Elijah Blake" Fenton, R. Fenty, Alexander Izquierdo, Ernest Wilson and Steve Wyreman. Produced By No ID for Rich Daily since ’71.

14. “Lost In Paradise”- Written by E.Dean, R. Fenty, T.Mckenzie, M.S. Eriksen and T.E. Hermansen. Produced By Stargate for 45th & 3rd Music LLC &Labrinth for Da Way Forward.

DELUXE VERSION
15. “Half Of Me” – Written by A.E Sande, S. Khan, M.S. Eriksen and T.E. Hermansen. Produced By Stargate for 45th & 3rd Music LLC &Naughty Boy for Delirious Blacksmith Mgmt Ltd.
ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Absolutely hilarious how you try to come for her when she has writing credits on the majority of the tracks on the album

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

You should probably use the term "credits" loosely.

For the right price I am sure any writer would be willing to let Rihrih sit in the same room with them as they write.

royalan

Actually it's most of you all who are deluded. If anybody else released the Lotus album that wasn't named Christina then you all would be stanning for it right this second. Lotus is the most well-rounded pop album out of any of our faves' releases this year. This I'm very proud of because I stan for the bitch, but it's frustrating that everybody else goes into listening to Lotus with the forgone conclusion that they have to come back here and talk shit about it. It's fun and all, but it's a bit too transparent. I'll take a critique of Lotus seriously once I hear a real critique of it.

YASSSS!!! You TELL 'EM Soul-sis!

ibjCCGedYfL9vf.gif

Ties

Banned
The receipts don't lie.

You should probably use the term "credits" loosely.

For the right price I am sure any writer would be willing to let Rihrih sit in the same room with them as they write.
One's behavior usually alludes to that, such as the Irreplaceable dispute over credits.

iz0jv7VFys2xo.gif

I guess that makes sense, no wonder it sucks more than TTT

i3FPoQyP49JUd.gif
Her strongest material since LOUD, more cohesion than BTW.

iz0jv7VFys2xo.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

I gave it a listen sis, admittedly not repeated or obsessive. It's not bad it's just not really that great. And that's pretty much the general consensus on the album e.g.

‘Lotus’ has some good moments, some standard lulls and the odd mis-step, but there’s nothing quite bad enough to prevent further listens. 6 on 10.

http://www.popjustice.com/blogs/etc/christinas-lotus-a-review/104438/#more-104438

Shit sis if you're that pressed that all the non-Real Music Lovers aren't going gaga for Lotus I'll give it a proper listen and write a review.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Taking more time out of his day to defend Unapologhetto than Rihanna and her team did to actually make the album.

A mess.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

Bye. The album was recorded for the better part of the year and while not her best work, has definitely had a ton of effort put into it. And it shows. She shows a great deal of growth as an artist. Please go back to ATRL with your flop opinions

Bladenic

I gave it a listen sis, admittedly not repeated or obsessive. It's not bad it's just not really that great. And that's pretty much the general consensus on the album e.g.

http://www.popjustice.com/blogs/etc/christinas-lotus-a-review/104438/#more-104438

Shit sis if you're that pressed that all the non-Real Music Lovers aren't going gaga for Lotus I'll give it a proper listen and write a review.

Tell em sis. Lotus is not a bad album, but it's not magnum opus. It's painfully average.

Ties

Banned
Taking more time out of his day to defend Unapologhetto than Rihanna and her team did to actually make the album.

A mess.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif
Flattering, all things considered.

She certainly managed to inch her way faster to the top of the charts than Smellie's sluggish climb to #2.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

A mess.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

iBJWbcoazNhmu.gif

I'm on a mission. I'll report back in soon.

iKtMKAmV54lXK.png

Yes I BOUGHT it.

Lotus is on Spotify tho. Except the definitely reviews by the end of the week.

Koodo

Banned
Please sis, you act as if science didn't already prove the exact opposite: only the Xtincta stans enjoy the putrid material within due to artist bias.

THE BLIND TEST

• An Xtincta stan commenting on a song's lyrics without knowing they are by Xtincta:
I don't know what this is but it's either a series of random statements or the worst song ever written.

• An Xtincta stan commenting on the same lyrics after becoming aware they are by Xtincta:
Cease Fire begins with a jarring riff that doesn’t do much for me, but the smart lyrics and pacing more than make up for it.

The delusion can't be denied.

ibtySLHvOdI2Jy.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Bye. The album was recorded for the better part of the year and while not her best work, has definitely had a ton of effort put into it. And it shows. She shows a great deal of growth as an artist. Please go back to ATRL with your flop opinions

It really doesn't and you need to stop with this when everyone KNOWS Rihanna can do better and HAS done better.

There is absolutely nothing on this album that qualifies as anything above just good. I recall several popgaffers somewhat looking forward to this record because Rihanna albums usually have a few standout songs that are universally accepted to be great. We Found Love, Where Have You Been, Russian Roulette, Rude Boy, What's My Name, Only Girl, Umbrella, Don't Stop The Music are all good examples of the sort of songs I am referring to. Unapologetic has none of that. Congrats on your number 1 album, but as for the music on it... try again next year, Rih-sis.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Please sis, you act as if science didn't already prove the exact opposite: only the Xtincta stans enjoy the putrid material within due to artist bias.

THE BLIND TEST

• An Xtincta stan commenting on a song's lyrics without knowing they are by Xtincta:

• An Xtincta stan commenting on the same lyrics after becoming aware they are by Xtincta:

ibtySLHvOdI2Jy.gif

omggggggggg I swear Koo is the MASTER OF CLOCKING. This is FLAWLESS.

iBJWbcoazNhmu.gif

[edit]OT stanning Goddess Aphrodylie's recent movie appearance: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=501824

iNO4MuAq0JANf.gif

I'm extremely disappointed in you.
I'm for real! Take out the two awful Guetta tracks and the album becomes an interesting excursion into empty hedonism and dejected sex that would make Drake cry. And the production is very current- not awfully forward-thinking but not dated either (except the dubstep drop in Jump and the aforementioned Guetta songs). It kind of reminds me of Blackout in those ways.

DMeisterJ

Banned
It really doesn't and you need to stop with this when everyone KNOWS Rihanna can do better and HAS done better.

There is absolutely nothing on this album that qualifies as anything above just good. I recall several popgaffers somewhat looking forward to this record because Rihanna albums usually have a few standout songs that are universally accepted to be great. We Found Love, Where Have You Been, Russian Roulette, Rude Boy, What's My Name, Only Girl, Umbrella, Don't Stop The Music are all good examples of the sort of songs I am referring to. Unapologetic has none of that. Congrats on your number 1 album, but as for the music on it... try again next year, Rih-sis.

I agRih it doesn't reach the highs of her previous efforts, but I don't think there is a relationship between that and her effort. I also don't think this reaches the lows of TTT.

Ignoring the fact that you tried to clock me with tea from someone else I see.
Nononononononono. Those quotes were selected to show you that I was not the only Popgaffer to measure by such metrics, in this thread and others.
Also, trying to drag MJ for not being heavily creatively involved in his own albums but stanning Rihanna like it's going out of fashion.

Not only stanning for irrelevant reasons, but dragging for inconsistent ones. Take several seats please sis.
Nope. I was laboring under, apparently mistaken, that MJ was considered a higher calibre of "artist". But now that I know MJ and Rihanna are considered equals, I'll still pick Rihanna.

ibq3upVWzFZRLa.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The fossil supreme was correct in saying that BTW was nothing but a reductive mess.

When boiled down, all BTW is, is a collection of diary entries by an insecure Stefani

Are you really coming for someone being insecure when your faves does not have the self-respect to move on from Bruises but instead dedicated 3 ERAS to him

iKT9X3MuW25OV.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Nononononononono. Those quotes were selected to show you that I was not the only Popgaffer to measure by such metrics, in this thread and others.
Still not here for it. Sit.

Nope. I was laboring under, apparently mistaken, that MJ was considered a higher calibre of "artist". But now that I know MJ and Rihanna are considered equals, I'll still pick Rihanna.

ibq3upVWzFZRLa.gif
I don't know how you could possibly have read my post where I stated that it's all about the MUSIC and then come to the conclusion that Rih is even on the same plane of EXISTENCE as MJ.

ik3talg2of7rcamfy4.gif

botty

Banned

THE BLIND TEST

He was commenting on a snippet of lyrics I quoted that are constructed oddly on paper, but work in the song.

And his second comment doesn't necessarily state the [song's] lyrics are great, but that they are smart and the pacing works too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom