• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynosure

k ill confess, Glassheart(the song) has been my main bop for last 3 months
but I only started really loving it when I cleansed off the 2 dubstep parts after each chorus

osUlP.gif

Mau ®

Glassheart was a really well made album. But its lead single Trouble was absolutely dull IMO and that alone sealed its fate.

Should've been Glassheart (song) as lead single and then Fireflies. That should've been an impressive comeback.

SaintZ

I just learned that Grimes recorded AOTY Visions on Garageband. That's crazy.
Yep, she used Garageband for tracking:
Going into production, what was your setup? I know you were doing this in your apartment…

I was using a Roland Juno-G, Line 6 M9 vocal processor, and a BOSS VE-20 vocal processor. I used GarageBand, but I only used it for tracking. I use Logic now. I really need to make clear that I no longer use GarageBand.

It’s OK that you used GarageBand, especially if you used it for a demo or something.

But you can’t export lossless, though. I feel like the record could have been more hi-fi.
I love how she tries to distance herself from it lol

Artemisia

Banned
Glassheart was a really well made album. But its lead single Trouble was absolutely dull IMO and that alone sealed its fate.

Should've been Glassheart (song) as lead single and then Fireflies. That should've been an impressive comeback.

The last minute of fireflies is 100% Not From Concentrate LIFE.

royalan

Overall, I thought Glassheart was a little dull, a little sluggish, and did nothing to reestablish Leona in a world where several other acts have pulled into her lane and evolved what should have been her sound (Emelie Sande, Loreen, arguably Agnes...)

But that said it did have some Bops. I enjoyed Fireflies and Glassheart, and I warmed up to Trouble after I sang it at Karaoke one night and dewigged everyone in the room.

Mau ®

Right Now or Stay. I think they're the best dance and ballad songs respectively on the album. I like Nobody's Business, but I know if Rih released it the song would drown in all the controversy.

Nobody's Business, last we heard, was Def Jam's fave song to become second single but Rihanna wants Stay.

I think Nobody's Bussiness would be a good choice for third single to lead the Unapologetic era during Spring to early summer.

I dont Right Now to ever be a single. Its like a lesser WHYB. kii

royalan

...I too think Nobody's Business would be a good second single...if Bruises wasn't in it.

After his Halloween costume fiasco I think Chris has become too hated in the US for that song to ever take off here.

Kyon

Banned
...I too think Nobody's Business would be a good second single...if Bruises wasn't in it.

After his Halloween costume fiasco I think Chris has become too hated in the US for that song to ever take off here.

Don't Wake me Up isn't going anywhere though aka
#Neaux1Curr
bbyu0_th.gif

Trigger

Nobody's Business, last we heard, was Def Jam's fave song to become second single but Rihanna wants Stay.

I think Nobody's Bussiness would be a good choice for third single to lead the Unapologetic era during Spring to early summer.

I dont Right Now to ever be a single. Its like a lesser WHYB. kii

VaNIA.gif

Besides, if it was up to me Diamonds wouldn't have been a single and it's now one of the biggest hits in her career. RIP

DMeisterJ

Banned
I'm mostly surprised that we haven't gotten a second single from Rih yet. Pleasantly surprised. The more time they wait, the more time it gives for Diamonds to come down (whenever it decides to go into Power Rotation and subsequently peak) and the easier time the second single has to smash as well.

As much of a flop as You Da One was, it went platinum, and would have smashed had it not have to share the pop airplay with one of Rih's bigger hits, WFL. It could have smashed if it came out a month or two later, especially since they completely botched Talk That Talk as well. Fuck, TTT was such a messy era full of hits that the label ruined. Diamonds could have been her 14th #1. :/

I've come to the conclusion that Unapologetic is quite mediocre as well. It's not as bad as TTT, but still a notch below Loud.

I'd rank her albums Rated R > Good Girl Gone Bad > Loud > Unapologetic > Talk That Talk.

Her earlier stuff I didn't rank because I haven't listened to it.

Mau ®

The real wasted single from TTT, imo, was Birthday Cake. That song was HOT... even with Bruises kiii

It went #1 on urban radio without being sent to radio, no promo and no video. It had so much crossover potential IMO.

TTT is such an awesome song too but again no promo and no video (Blue Ivy cockblocked it... ch...).

I was never into You Da One tho...

Cynosure

lol i cant make gifs ;_;

i've noticed

i9nopQ6HiO44T.gif

Thank you for the proper gif.

ik7Ev1jlwd8rR.gif

and I warmed up to Trouble after I sang it at Karaoke one night and dewigged everyone in the room.

she pushed too hard for Trouble and it's probably what killed the hype for her. The song isn't bad but it isn't great either.

and to think she gave away We Found Love for it

Lewis told The Daily Star that she recorded the track with Harris, but never released it because she decided to go with a different lead single for her album. "It was the same version and production but mine’s better," she said.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/15/leona-lewis-we-found-love-rihanna_n_1966451.html

Zkhw1.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sia's version was nice. Rih's version sang live on X-Factor UK was nice as well.

It's not like you can only like one version of the song. But people always look for a reason to knock Rih down a few pegs. Pressed at her success, AS PER.

Sia's version was nice. Rih's version sang live on X-Factor UK was nice as well.

It's not like you can only like one version of the song. But people always look for a reason to knock Rih down a few pegs. Pressed at her success, AS PER.
To be honest, I'm impressed with how well Rihanna imitated Sia's phrasing and intonation quirks. I actually don't think much was lost in Rihanna's rendition, but she didn't add anything either.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
To be honest, I'm impressed with how well Rihanna imitated Sia's phrasing and intonation quirks. I actually don't think much was lost in Rihanna's rendition, but she didn't add anything either.

I agree it just feels like its copying Sia's version without adding any substance of her own in it. It could have been better if she gave it some of her sound instead of going straight up to copy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom