• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomodachi

animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-animated-siren-gif-drudge-report.gif
BREAKING NEWS

Sophie Ellis-Bextor might be releasing new music next year.

http://www.muumuse.com/2012/12/soph...g-a-concept-driven-mini-album-next-year.html/

Heartbreak Make Me A Dancer is still a JAM OF THE FOREVER

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5EsiEDMWLc

Cd_de_Sophie_Ellis-Bextor_-_Heartbreak_Make_Me_A_Dancer_-The_UK_Maxi_Single-.jpg

Ditto, of course, GROOVEJET.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-XjUHr3hzU

YAAAASSS! I hope for another collaboration with Metronomy, Make a scene (the track) was outstanding.

The album as well tbh

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Apparently Beyawnce rejected a Dr. Luke song and was then given to Miley.

ICU Miley coming for that top 10 while the thief remains
with her 4 success
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

^ my second gif that has semi-smash ;_;

DMeisterJ

Banned
Apparently Beyawnce rejected a Dr. Luke song and was then given to Miley.

ICU Miley coming for that top 10 while the thief remains
with her 4 success
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

^ my second gif that has semi-smash ;_;

I C U with that payola to make your .gifs successful. Let's see what's what when the rolling effect starts.

I see that all over ATRL, I didn't know it was yours

Majmun

Ewww, keep Dr. Luke away from Beyonce.

Two months until the mass scalping starts. Beys new era about to begin soon.
ec20fb7f.gif

Majmun

Well she worked with about 345u39597399u5jqn other producers for 4, so I am surprised she hasn't worked with Luke yet.

Dr. Luke creates forgettable trash. He's the fast-food in music. It's a hit, but it's never going to satisfy you in the long run.

She could let him produce a whole album, if she wanted to. But she won't. Beyonce deserves better

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
It says something when Tamar, someone who is basically unknown is able to smash
more than Beyawnce in a genre that has only had a resurgence in the last couple of months

makes me wonder if the world is even here for her anymore
iB7jFXWpeDhOU.gif

Majmun

It says something when Tamar, someone who is basically unknown is able to smash
more than Beyawnce in a genre that has only had a resurgence in the last couple of months

makes me wonder if the world is even here for her anymore
iB7jFXWpeDhOU.gif

What about newcomer Carly Rae Jepsen slaying Lady Gaga in the same genre?
Don't act as if your fave has had many hits with her BTW album. Because you will definitely fail
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

royalan

I'll admit that I've never really understood the appeal of Katy B. Every song I've listened to just sounds like bargain basement House fronted by a completely bland and shallow vocalist who could be replaced by a creaky rocking chair and nobody would notice.

Sometimes her stuff reminds me of Hercules & Love Affair/Jessica 6 which I ADORE, but lacks the undeniable presence of Nomi's vocals (and certainly doesn't touch the stuff featuring Antony Hegarty).

Still, for some reason this chick is still highly regarded. So I must be missing something. Will listen.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
What about newcomer Carly Rae Jepsen slaying Lady Gaga in the same genre?
Don't act as if your fave has had many hits with her BTW album. Because you will definitely fail
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

That comparison doesn't work since pop is fickle and lets not forget that Gaga's flop had quadruple the success of 4.

But lets get back to Beyawnce, you see I believe the world has move on to Rihanna and
is no longer here for Bey's fifth grade education. 5 is already giving me MDNA/Lotus teas tbh

I wouldn't be surprised if she has a tour ready in order to give away her album with the purchase
of a ticket. Nostalgia acts like her tend to do that nowadays.
iB7jFXWpeDhOU.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I'll admit that I've never really understood the appeal of Katy B. Every song I've listened to just sounds like bargain basement House fronted by a completely bland and shallow vocalist who could be replaced by a creaky rocking chair and nobody would notice.

I think the kind of music she plays (UK Funky, kind of dubby) is pretty distinctively British though, so I don't know why you think it sounds like 'bargain basement House'. Especially with Ms Dynamite.

I mean, the sound wasn't amazingly, super duper fresh when she made On A Mission -- it had been underground for some time, years even. But she's still working with distinctively dubby producers like Benga. So saying it sounds like 'bargain basement House' just kind of confuses me.

Not that I'm saying there's no house elements in there, of course.

Not going to address that act of terrorism in the middle of this page.

Anyway, because it seems Syco's intent on locking the video in a cage until the end of time, here's a bootleg link to Leona's new video "Lovebird".

1yaNd

Majmun

That comparison doesn't work since pop is fickle and lets not forget that Gaga's flop had quadruple the success of 4.

But lets get back to Beyawnce, you see I believe the world has move on to Rihanna and
is no longer here for Bey's fifth grade education. 5 is already giving me MDNA/Lotus teas tbh

I wouldn't be surprised if she has a tour ready in order to give away her album with the purchase
of a ticket. Nostalgia acts like her tend to do that nowadays.
iB7jFXWpeDhOU.gif

The world has indeed moved on to Rihanna. Both Beyonce and Gaga are laggging behind now tbh.
But other than Gaga, Beyonce actually benefits from Rih's success.

And Beys next era is coming soon. She's going to give us everything. There will be no pregnancy to stop her now. Her comeback is going to be amazing.
No wonder Gaga pushed back Artpop. Unlike basics such as Kesha or Nicki, Beyonce actually has the potential to ruin Gaga's comeback.
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You don't hear House elements in her music?

Yeah, I edited my post. There's definitely house elements there, of course. But 'bargain basement'? Unless you just don't think there's anything especially interesting about the whole South London dance music production scene in general I don't really follow.

[edit]I mean, I'm assuming that by 'bargain basement' you're invoking notions of, arch derivativeness, genericness to the point of soullessness, etc.

royalan

Yeah, I edited my post. There's definitely house elements there, of course. But 'bargain basement'? Unless you just don't think there's anything especially interesting about the whole South London dance music production scene in general I don't really follow.

[edit]I mean, I'm assuming that by 'bargain basement' you're invoking notions of, arch derivativeness, genericness to the point of soullessness, etc.

I don't know. Admittedly, I don't know THAT much about the South London sound, but it didn't really strike a chord with me as fresh upon first listen. Some of the fault might be in Katy's delivery as well, which really just does nothing for me. Going back to my Jessica 6 comparison, "White Horse" didn't sound particularly groundbreaking to me at the time when I heard it either, but the production was still good and taken over-the-top by Nomi's flawless delivery. In my opinion, Katy B just doesn't do anything to service the production.

That said, I just finished the EP and enjoyed it. Aaliyah in particular is SLAYING ME. Jessie Ware really fits the Katy B sound.

EDIT: The Diplo track was vile though, and I love Diplo. ;____;

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The world has indeed moved on to Rihanna. Both Beyonce and Gaga are laggging behind now tbh.
But other than Gaga, Beyonce actually benefits from Rih's success.

And Beys next era is coming soon. She's going to give us everything. There will be no pregnancy to stop her now. Her comeback is going to be amazing.
No wonder Gaga pushed back Artpop. Unlike basics such as Kesha or Nicki, Beyonce actually has the potential to ruin Gaga's comeback.
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

Obviously basics like Ke$ha and Nicki cant compare to either of them and the only way for
Beyonce to ruin Gaga's comeback is if she follows the dance trend which I dont see her doing.
But even if she does it would sound dated compared to what Gaga is doing.

I wouldn't bet on the Super Bowl helping out her new single as much since the performances
tend to be a bunch medleys and if the single isn't in par with the rest of her discography
it will get lost in the noise.

But we are only a few months away, so will see. and hey maybe Gaga will tweet her iTunes
link as well
iB7jFXWpeDhOU.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't know. Admittedly, I don't know THAT much about the South London sound, but it didn't really strike a chord with me as fresh upon first listen. Some of the fault might be in Katy's delivery as well, which really just does nothing for me. Going back to my Jessica 6 comparison, "White Horse" didn't sound particularly groundbreaking to me at the time when I heard it either, but the production was still good and taken over-the-top by Nomi's flawless delivery. In my opinion, Katy B just doesn't do anything to service the production.

That said, I just finished the EP and enjoyed it. Aaliyah in particular is SLAYING ME. Jessie Ware really fits the Katy B sound.

EDIT: The Diplo track was vile though, and I love Diplo. ;____;

Aaliyah is like the Jolene rewrite we didn't know we needed until it was delivered to us on wings of genius.

Majmun

Obviously basics like Ke$ha and Nicki cant compare to either of them and the only way for
Beyonce to ruin Gaga's comeback is if she follows the dance trend which I dont see her doing.
But even if she does it would sound dated compared to what Gaga is doing.

I wouldn't bet on the Super Bowl helping out her new single as much since the performances
tend to be a bunch medleys and if the single isn't in par with the rest of her discography
it will get lost in the noise.

But we are only a few months away, so will see. and hey maybe Gaga will tweet her iTunes
link as well
iB7jFXWpeDhOU.gif

All I know is that it's going to be a great year with both Beyonce and Gaga putting new albums out.

Both superior bitches performing the sequel to Telephone during the Super Bowl together would totally slay me. But that'll never happpen, of course.

I guess we'll see which album will be better, have more impact and will sell more units and singles. It's going to be interesting, that's for sure
iblBd0bBYSIyhR.gif

Nemesis_

Not only was Justin Bieber shockingly shut out for Grammy Awards nominations, but his ‘Beauty and a Beat’ co-star Nicki Minaj was no where to be found on the nominations list, as well. Cortez Bryant, who co-manages the Young Money starlet, wasn’t happy about the snub and voiced his frustration on Twitter.

Bryant congratulated fellow Young Money artists Lil Wayne and Drake, who nabbed three and two nods apiece, respectively, before he blasted the Recording Academy for overlooking Minaj.

“Congrats to @LilTunechi and @Drake and @Hit_Boy on their Grammy Noms butttt……,” he tweeted. “They was on some bulls— for not nominating @NICKIMINAJ.”

The Grammy snub also didn’t go unnoticed by the Barbz (aka her fans). They also expressed their anger about the omission on Twitter (as seen by MTV’s RapFix).

One fan tweeted, “So @NICKIMINAJ isn’t nomminated for any grammy awards….TOTAL B.S.!!” while another was pleased with the oversight. “Hahahaha not a single Grammy nomination for Biever, One direction or Nicki Minaj. Maybe there is hope for mankind after all,” a follower wrote.

Minaj has yet to address the snub, although it must hurt a little that she didn’t get nominated in the Best Rap Album category for ‘Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded.’ It was one of the biggest (and polarizing) albums of 2012. So why the snub Grammy voters?

Last year, Minaj was up for three awards including Best Rap Album (‘Pink Friday’) but walked away with nothing. However, she did close out the show with a controversial performance of ‘Roman Holiday,’ which offended Catholic leaders with its excessively religious theme.

The 55th annual Grammy Awards will air live from Nashville on CBS at 8PM ET on Feb. 10.

From Popcrush

royalan

Not to disrupt this Katy B moment (and really, that EP is slaying me more than I thought it would...I'll eat the crow).

But can we have a moment for how flawless Nomi Ruiz is?

After being reminded of "White Horse" I went back to listen and...it's just slaying me all over again.

Truly the Bop Eternal.

Just so flawless, #ICANT.

iUPyPvKtCiVVZ.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Maybe if Nicki actually put effort into her music...

iUCBqAsYkTrCN.gif

Not to disrupt this Katy B moment (and really, that EP is slaying me more than I thought it would...I'll eat the crow).

But can we have a moment for how flawless Nomi Ruiz is?

After being reminded of "White Horse" I went back to listen and...it's just slaying me all over again.

Truly the Bop Eternal.

Just so flawless, #ICANT.

iUPyPvKtCiVVZ.gif

I never heard of her (no shade)

let me listen to this Hercules and Love Affair album.

Trigger

lol, I still remember that Roman Holiday performance. It was just silly. Minaj doesn't really deserve a Grammy for her latest work. She needs to start a new era instead of sloppy re-releases.

Majmun

I'm OK with Justin, Nicki and 1D getting ignored by the Grammys.
But nominating hack Carly Rea Jepsen while ignoring other hacks is a bit strange.

Nemesis_

A serious question though - were the Grammys ever a prestigious award?

Have they slowly drifted away from actual merit-based awards to more of a contractual cash cow between the record companies and the committees?

I'm genuinely interested to hear what people have to say.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The Nicki Minaj snub at the Grammys is so hilarious. She put out a shit album with shit singles and did like shit. She tried to do pop but wasn't recognized for her pop, she tried to do rap, and wasn't recognized for that either. She a joke, but the sad part is she doesn't understand how much of a joke she is. Her delusional beliefs that she's taken seriously is funny. She must constantly be in pain.

Artemisia

Banned
A serious question though - were the Grammys ever a prestigious award?

Have they slowly drifted away from actual merit-based awards to more of a contractual cash cow between the record companies and the committees?

I'm genuinely interested to hear what people have to say.

I think they have some legit nominations, but often have to nominate popular acts to prevent the impression of them being 'hipster' and to rail in viewers.

Majmun

Just finished Katy B's Danger EP

Thanks for posting, cosmic bus and godels *.*

The EP is really good. I'm loving all the tracks. This is going to get some heavy rotation this year.

Nemesis_

I guess another question that must be asked, is it actually considered to be true with the whole Beyonce / her father thing at the Grammys?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom