• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

POPGAF |OT3| Geo Da Silva > nails on chalkboard > Taylor Swift

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

ibyEYg9VhmwP6q.gif

FAKE B**CH

I'm not sure how to feel about this, but I feel inclined to like it (and post it here) if only for the title.

THAT BASS IN THE TRACK IS A LOW & DIRTY GRIND, THOUGH.

Everything about this creeped me the fuck out.

But I think I was bopping.

not paying any attention to those trollops on the last page dissing my future baby daddy tho

Nemesis_

I'm sure this will interest some of you.

Britney Spears Edges Out Taylor Swift As Top-Earning Female Musician Of 2012

Britney Spears was the most profitable female musician of the year, according to Forbes. Thanks to the success of her latest album Femme Fatale, the tour and her fragrance, the 31-year-old pop star raked in $58 million in 2012. Taylor Swift came in second on the list, just a million bucks short of Spears’ number. Just how close is $1M? Taylor was reportedly making that each night of her tour, meaning if she had just scrounged together a couple more shows (so lazy, right!?) the Red star would’ve been the most successful woman in music this year.

But there’s always next year: the numbers come from earnings between May 2011 and May 2012, so Swift’s mammoth returns don’t even include her record-breaking Red sales. The top 5 is rounded out with Rihanna ($53M), Lady Gaga ($52M) and Katy Perry ($45). Read on for the full list.

One other interesting bit of trivia: only eight of the women here made enough to crack the list of 25 highest-paid musicians of 2012.

FORBES TOP TEN

1. Britney Spears ($58 million)
2. Taylor Swift ($57 million)
3. Rihanna ($53 million)
4. Lady Gaga ($52 million)
5. Katy Perry ($45 million)
6. Beyonce ($40 million)
7. Adele ($35 million)
8. Sade ($33 million)
9. Madonna ($30 million)
10. Shakira ($20 million)

From Idolator

Someone should weight it by years active kiiiiiii

iGbrctk0TGFKc.gif

Was your fave missing?

ibfuv4fUKpxksR.gif

Koodo

Banned
That's the same list that was posted a while back (tracking goes from May 2011 to May 2012).

I'm not sure why it's been re-surfacing again lately since it's not even a calendar year tally.

My faves are well represented though.
gurl2.gif

Bladenic

I think that list puts to rest any arguments one could have about who's local or global tbh. I suppose you could say some of those gurls are SUPER locals in that they completely dominate one area, but it's better than being a flop local. Even if the list is old.
soaf69_th.gif

Mumei

Oh, this reminds me.

I was at the library yesterday and when I was walking through the music / music biography sections, I saw one of those new cash-in-on-Whitney's death books that came out recently. I flipped through it, and it mentioned that in 1987, Whitney came in second to Madonna for earnings, with $44 million to her $47 million. They both beat Michael's $43 million.

Adjusted for inflation, that would be $95.703 million, $89.594 million, and $87.558 million in 2012 dollars.

I wonder how much it would be if we adjusted for tour ticket prices

Oh, this reminds me.

I was at the library yesterday and when I was walking through the music / music biography sections, I saw one of those new cash-in-on-Whitney's death books that came out recently. I flipped through it, and it mentioned that in 1987, Whitney came in second to Madonna for earnings, with $44 million to her $47 million. They both beat Michael's $43 million.

Adjusted for inflation, that would be $95.703 million, $89.594 million, and $87.558 million in 2012 dollars.

I wonder how much it would be if we adjusted for tour ticket prices

Have ticket prices risen significantly faster than inflation? I don't go to a lot of concerts so I have no perspective on that.....

royalan

Some of our girls are contenders for Oscar nominations this year, Y'all.

Of course, we have the totally expected and totally over-hyped ADELE with Skybore Skyfall.

With this year's "cheating" song is KATY PERRY, who might be nominated for Wide Awake due to it being used in her flopumentary.

FLORENCE could also be nominated for her beautiful (if somewhat typical of her) song Breath of Life from the 'Snow White and the Huntsman' soundtrack.

And last but certainly not least we have CHRISTINA AGUILERA, who could be nominated for her absolutely stirring theme song for 'Casa de Mi Padre.' Positively received by audiences and critics alike, it features Christina Aguilera singing in Spanish for the first time since her Latin masterpiece Mi Reflejo, and she EASILY out-Bonds Adele in what might be the best song she's recorded in years. The standout here, girls. I think we have a winner.

The Academy Knows What To Do

Some of our girls are contenders for Oscar nominations this year, Y'all.

Of course, we have the totally expected and totally over-hyped ADELE with Skybore Skyfall.

With this year's "cheating" song is KATY PERRY, who might be nominated for Wide Awake due to it being used in her flopumentary.

FLORENCE could also be nominated for her beautiful (if someone typical of her) song Breath of Life from the 'Snow White and the Huntsman' soundtrack.

And last but certainly not least we have CHRISTINA AGUILERA, who could be nominated for her absolutely stirring theme song for 'Casa de Mi Padre.' Positively received by audiences and critics alike, it feature Christina Aguilera singing in Spanish for the first time since her Latin masterpiece Mi Reflejo, and she EASILY out-Bonds Adele in what might be the best song she's recorded in years. The standout here, girls. I think we have a winner.

The Academy Knows What To Do

I am all for Florence winning. That track was typical maybe, but flawlessly executed. Listening to that song on my high end audio system was one of the best musical experiences I had this year.

Bladenic

Started listening to that Xtina song, 10 seconds in she's already screaming, I stop and resume bopping to Keep it Goin' Louder.

Adele has nothing to worry about.
soaf69_th.gif

royalan

Started listening to that Xtina song, 10 seconds in she's already screaming, I stop and resume bopping to Keep it Goin' Louder.

Adele has nothing to worry about.
soaf69_th.gif

There is no screaming in that song. It's actually some of the most technically "correct" belting she's ever done (;___;), and certainly better than any of your faves.

EDIT: BTW how you so damn LATE on Keep it Goin' Louder? I don't know about you sometimes...:(

Trigger

There is no screaming in that song. It's actually some of the most technically "correct" belting she's every done (;___;), and certainly better than any of your faves.

EDIT: BTW how you so damn LATE on Keep it Goin' Louder? I don't know about you sometimes...:(

Despite his great work, Diplo isn't the household name that people like Calvin Harris and Guetta are. I'm not surprised tbh.

Mumei

Have ticket prices risen significantly faster than inflation? I don't go to a lot of concerts so I have no perspective on that.....

In 1987 - 88, she did her Moment of Truth tour with over 151 shows. She played to over half a million fans in Europe, and did almost three times as many shows in North America - and her North American leg grossed a mere $24 million.

By comparison, taking a more recent tour of a popular singer, Lady Gaga's Monster Ball Tour grossed $227.4 off of an audience of 2.5 million for 200 shows.

And perhaps more significantly, Whitney grossed $36 million in 1999 for a concert tour with 62 shows (compared to doing $24 million / 90 shows in 1987).

For illustration:

averageticketprices.jpg

Bladenic

LORDT, that last minute of Keep It Goin' Louder when the beat picks up like crazy then slows down near the finish. What kind of LATE SLAYAGE is this, I need to be studying but I am BOPPING
dance21.gif

royalan

LORDT, that last minute of Keep It Goin' Louder when the beat picks up like crazy then slows down near the finish. What kind of LATE SLAYAGE is this, I need to be studying but I am BOPPING
dance21.gif

You need to listen to that entire album, tbh. Major Lazer is flawless. Beyonce was certainly a fan.

Bladenic

You need to listen to that entire album, tbh. Major Lazer is flawless. Beyonce was certainly a fan.

I am on it.

Edit: Now wait... did Bey add ANYTHING of her own to Run the World, the beat sounds EXACTLY the same. Also Pon De Floor > Flop the World (Bey).

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So this weekend after hours my friend and I went to this new gay bar called Posh, that's so new that all it is is a giant empty dance floor with a bar in the back. The DJ saw us come in and immediately started playing music for us, and through the night he realized that I responded the best (i.e. loudest) to Gaga, Beyonce and Christina - about an hour into us being there he was literally alternating between the three just to get me to act a fool (or to exhaust me to the point of leaving, I don't know). Either way I was wor.king. IT.

The best moment was when he played Americano, and right at the breakdown I went into a half split with my arms waving like a lunatic mouthing the words. Something about the energy in all of her songs that make you wanna lose your mind. It was fabulous.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll give it a spin when I Marry The Night~
iQXnlwAoPeBUB.gif

Also One Direction has slayed Google this year

ee79481f980b2083fcfcee315b15a056.jpg

d0c8c6a5efb32675d7072e2f2bd92e58.jpg

4730bf465fe6893102ab5a84bbf50ee3.jpg

955106142f567ed51a26dddbb9cfadfa.jpg

royalan

I see.
brush.gif

I can't blame her tho, that beat is on another level. Guetta could never.

But that's kind of why Flop The World (Beyonce) didn't work. That beat wasn't made with vocals in mind (other than the the guy talking in the bridge). The beat was complete. Slapping Beyonce's schizophrenic vocals on top just turned that track into a busy, confused, shameful mess.

EDIT: Here's an example of a song that is obviously inspired by Pon De Floor, but instead of ripping it off wholesale like the hash-for-brains Beyonce, Swizz Beats and Dirty Money create their own beautiful thing out of it.

Bladenic

But that's kind of why Flop The World (Beyonce) didn't work. That beat wasn't made with vocals in mind (other than the the guy talking in the bridge). The beat was complete. Slapping Beyonce's schizophrenic vocals on top just turned that track into a busy, confused, shameful mess.

The song was so overrated by critics too, mess.

Luckily I love the rest of 4 :)

Galang

Banned

Santigold actually was the one that showed Beyonce the Major Lazer song. The debut album was definitely flawless, but I don't have as much faith without Switch for the follow up.

I am on it.

Edit: Now wait... did Bey add ANYTHING of her own to Run the World, the beat sounds EXACTLY the same. Also Pon De Floor > Flop the World (Bey).

The facebook page for Major Lazer was hilarious for this when they previewed the song. There was so much hatemail. It's quite lazy. A lot could of been done to better suit Beyonce, but luckily the original is already so perfect I guess it worked in a sense...

royalan

This song is bop. Who knew anything attached to Diddy could still be good?

The entire album was a BOP. Last Train To Paris was the biggest surprise of 2010-2011 for me. Best thing to come out of Bad Boy in YEARS.

Only consistently bad thing about it was Diddy himself.

Galang

Banned
That Diddy Dirty Money song is my favourite from that LP. It's good... and is that really ASAP Rocky with the top comment on that video lol.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I am on it.

It's called a sample, sis.

[edit]I still can't believe you all trying to drag Bey for using a SAMPLE.

RIP hiphop 1970s-2012.

Trigger

The entire album was a BOP. Last Train To Paris was the biggest surprise of 2010-2011 for me. Best thing to come out of Bad Boy in YEARS.

Only consistently bad thing about it was Diddy himself.

mlGtp.gif

Maybe I'll go listen to it then. Diddy's reality shows didn't give me much hope and he is always such a try hard so I wrote it off.

That Diddy Dirty Money song is my favourite from that LP. It's good... and is that really ASAP Rocky with the top comment on that video lol.

lol, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Galang, sis, what happened to that rumour(?) about Azealia and MIA working together at the beginning of the year? Any clue if it'll turn up on Matangi or Broke With Expensive Taste?

royalan

LMAO - Just noticed that.

And yeah, "Ass on the Floor" is one of the standouts from that album. But I think all the singles the released from Last Train to Paris were flawless.
Loving You No More ft. Drake
I Hate That You Love Me <---My favorite. This song SHITS.
Hello Goodmorning
Angels
Your Love "We in the mutherfuckin' buildin! 100 fuckin bottles!"

Man, this album was a BOP...

Bladenic

It's called a sample, sis.

[edit]I still can't believe you all trying to drag Bey for using a SAMPLE.

RIP hiphop 1970s-2012.

The facebook page for Major Lazer was hilarious for this when they previewed the song. There was so much hatemail. It's quite lazy. A lot could of been done to better suit Beyonce, but luckily the original is already so perfect I guess it worked in a sense...

Roy already clocked Bey on this though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom