• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
Hmm I wonder what that could be
z63MU.gif

6fa8bf9c.gif

hey remember robyn

i forgot how nuclear her hooks were

they are like rockets to ur heart

Robyn is the Queen of this universe.

My system's in mint condition
The power's up on my transistors
Working fine, no glitches
Plug me in and flip some switches

Pull up in docking position
Pop the hatch and hit ignition
B-b-burn out, baby
Ready for demolition

Bladenic

I need to give Robyn a fair chance. Outside of a remix or two nothing played in the DJ room of hers did anything for me. Hopefully this is a case of her best material being hidden in the albums.

cory64

ii7i9OoKMoJtn.png

New series, in which we visit albums with hectic releases and messy tracklists (anyone may contribute an installment).

In the past 10 years, because of label conflicts, bonus track deals with stores, and digital releases, the pop album has become more insecure. In the old days, you pretty much just put all of your best that could fit on a vinyl record (~40-45 minutes) and left everything else for b-sides. That doesn't happen much anymore, and we come across many albums that are either just not quite there or, for lack of a better term, bloated.

PuICV.jpg

Today we will go through Annie's 2009 sophmore album, Don't Stop. Originally signed with Island for a 2008 release, she left them and took the recordings with her to an independent label. A year later, it was released along with a bonus disc, All Night.

"I actually have enough for two albums, so I don't know if I'm going to put out the one as it is, and one right after, or just some songs as ['Don't Stop'] with a couple that no one's heard. But I want to release a lot [this] year."

So what were we left with?
A 12-track main album, which doesn't seem that bloated until you see that the 5-track bonus disc is also quite nice. Plus a semi-official single, a cover of Stacy Q's "Two of Hearts" that was slated for the original album.

YSFEQ.jpg

From that original list, we're only missing "Perfectly Honest"

adding in the songs that were subsequently released from that era:
All Night
Anthonio
Bad Times
The Breakfast Song
Don't Stop
Heaven & Hell
Hey Annie
I Can't Let Go
I Don't Like Your Band
I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me
Loco
Marie Cherie
My Love Is Better
Songs Remind Me Of You
Sweet
Take You Home
Two of Hearts
When The Night

18 songs, not quite enough for 2 albums, but too much for 1.

Pitchfork said:
Even if CD releases and official track listings are formal considerations that are not entirely significant to Annie's context as a star in a largely theoretical Internet pop universe, it's almost impossible to engage with any version of Don't Stop without thinking about what is "missing."

My favorites of these are probably Anthonio, I Know Ur Girlfriend Hates Me, Hey Annie, Two of Hearts, I Don't Like Your Band, and Bad Times. Admittedly she doesn't have the strongest voice, her discography is just begging to be covered. I'd say her stuff is pretty reminscent of early Madonna (whom she sampled for her first single) but even softer, and her Xenomania productionmates Girls Aloud (who sung backup vocals on My Love Is Better).

First let's isolate the singles:
I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me
Two of Hearts
Anthonio
Songs Remind Me of You
My Love Is Better

That's about a little less than half of what we're aiming for.
Now, just to add in some of the original structure around it, with some of my personal selections:

1. Hey Annie
2. I Know UR Girlfriend Hates Me
3. Don't Stop
4. Two Of Hearts
5. Anthonio
6. I Don't Like Your Band
7. My Love Is Better
8. The Breakfast Song
9. Take You Home
10. Bad Times
11. Songs Remind Me Of You
12. All Night

And there, a more concise version of the Don't Stop sessions in album form. Not that the other songs aren't worth listening to :)

Also this year we should expect 3 EPs from her, creating this whole situation again.

Next time... 4? IV? Four?

royalan

Man, if I had a dollar for every time that kind of guy says, ‘you’ll only get the cover if you take off your pants’, I’d be a rich woman. When they make those kinds of demands, I leave. Goodbye.

“I want to be respected and remembered for my talent in the first place, not for my booty.”

gT5zL.gif

“Some women show some nudity in all their pics. But I am known for being prudish”
iQwCjCJSgp7hz.gif
i6F0FaNcHq2qF.gif

“I don’t have a problem with sexy clothes. Any really hot fashion thing I’ll wear. And I’ll put on a bikini if the scene is on the beach. But vulgar for no reason? Never.”
GlzQ5.png

Simply desperate, lowbrow, unoriginal, non-iconic and classLESS. And I think it's...somewhat comical...that she thinks she's gotten one over on everyone when, in fact, her true, attention-starved colors are becoming more and more visible by the day. What a hypocrite.
ibqEDKkgG5dWcY.gif

zankara

Beyonce and Pepsi thank you for the promo

1. The quotes are 10 years old, I'm sure we have all said things that could be seen as hypocritical 10 years later.
2. She isn't suddenly bearing skin for attention. The photo is no worse than any of her bikini photoshoots throughout her career.
3. She still shows less skin than your fav has. And we all know if Xtina hadn't eaten so many burgers she would still be flopping her bits out left, right and centre.
4. "Simply desperate, lowbrow, unoriginal, non-iconic and classLESS" - Your Body in a nutshell.
5. I don't think Beyonce of all people is attention-starved. She could fart in a movie theatre and still get an article written about her.

Majmun

“Oh, the newcomer?” Aguilera told reporters when asked about Gaga. “This person was just brought to my attention not too long ago. I’m not quite sure who this person is, to be honest. I don’t know if it is a man or a woman.”

One year later...

--------------------------------

After Lucca performed Jay-Z’s “99 Problems”, Aguilera claimed that the song was “derogatory towards women:

"the lyrical connotation was a little derogatory towards women..."

...but all in all I thought it was fun.
ibyuIZ8sbXdVcK.gif

--------------------------

------------------

royalancé makes more posts about Bey than I do.
Thanks for the promo <3
iGA858wFGg6b3.gif

Majmun

Now I see why royalan's meltdown mode has been engaged...

New Bey song coming tomorrow? Featuring Jay Z and Justin Timeberlake?!!?

I'm ready for it
ibbZaHC2zPKZWx.gif

Majmun

Lol at Xtina's speech when she won that lousy and irrelevant People's award

It was like a two minute speech about nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom