• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT4| asdfjkl;asdfjkl;

Status
Not open for further replies.
No they didn't.

No one ever called Bieber or Taylor disposable one hit wonders?

Maybe not in popgaf because it didn't exist back then, but I don't recall ANYONE 3 years ago predicting that Taylor and Bieber would be huge mainstream powerhouses like they are today. On the other hand I distinctly remember people claiming that Bieber would never have a real radio hit after "Baby". Lots of people thought Taylor would follow the Carrie Underwood path of having one big mainstream hit then retire back into country music.

Keep saying #Artemess type lies though.

After discovering how Justine clings to the tits of Britney every time he needs to promote a new project, and his disgusting hypocritical misogynistic behavior, I've stopped wanting him to clock La Niña Canadiense out of the game.

I hope La Niña Canadiense ajaxes that rancid-looking Lou Pearlman-cum-stained bitch from the face of the Earth.

Translate? Is this JT shade?

If so, keep hating.
n3gDzia.png

Artemisia

Banned
No one ever called Bieber or Taylor disposable one hit wonders?

Maybe not in popgaf because it didn't exist back then, but don't recall ANYONE 3 years ago predicting that Taylor and Bieber would be huge mainstream powerhouses like they are today.

Keep saying #Artemess type lies though.

Taylor never had a real billboard hit until now. She was a significant force in the country scene from her first album. No one predicted Red would happen, but no one was saying she'd drop off the face of the earth like they do with other pop acts like Carly Rae Jepsen.

Are you purposely forgetting that 1D is a boy band? That's what people typically refer to when they talk about artists having expiry dates. They peak early, continue to put out the same type of music and fail to evolve. Bieber would have faced the same problem were it not for his early and continued associations with many big names in R&B and hip hop that allowed him to make a seamless transition into the mainstream as an accepted pop act. I don't see that for 1D.

Taylor never had a real billboard hit until now. She was a significant force in the country scene from her first album. No one predicted Red would happen, but no one was saying she'd drop off the face of the earth like they do with other pop acts like Carly Rae Jepsen.

Are you purposely forgetting that 1D is a boy band? That's what people typically refer to when they talk about artists having expiry dates. They peak early, continue to put out the same type of music and fail to evolve. Bieber would have faced the same problem were it not for his early and continued associations with many big names in R&B and hip hop that allowed him to make a seamless transition into the mainstream as an accepted pop act. I don't see that for 1D.

Yes, read. There is no outcome in which 1D is anything more than another boyband fad. I thought their stans knew this?
BaRnI7k.gif

I don't disagree with this wholly. Particularly about boybands failing to evolve.

Boybands in general do tend to have limited reigns of about 3-6 years. However, if you look at pop acts in general the failure rate is significant. Where is Miley Cyrus? Hilary Duff? Jesse McCartney? They were not in bands yet flamed out.

I would argue its more of a "teen idol" failure rate than a "boyband" failure rate when we talk about bands not lasting. The teen idol type stars in general (which would include Bieber and to a lessor extent Taylor) tend to flame out very quickly, but there are always exceptions.

Either way. 1D is under contract for 3 more albums and I enjoy their music (TBH I like Taylor's just as much) so I don't feel I have anything to worry about.

Fey

Banned
1D are undoubtedly on a fixed schedule. they're a boy band (or teen idols, as you say, waffle!), and not a single boy band in the past has proven that they can stick around in the mainstream even when they get old.

taylor will also, imo, fizz out soon enough, unless she changes her styles and themes. by the end of this decade, she will be in her 30s, and i
hope
don't think people want to hear a woman in her late 20s sing songs that have lyrics that sound like they come out of a 13 year old's diary, like she has been since like 2007.

1D are undoubtedly on a fixed schedule. they're a boy band (or teen idols, as you say, waffle!), and not a single boy band in the past has proven that they can stick around in the mainstream even when they get old.

taylor will also, imo, fizz out soon enough, unless she changes her styles and themes. by the end of this decade, she will be in her 30s, and i
hope
don't think people want to hear a woman in her late 20s sing songs that have lyrics that sound like they come out of a 13 year old's diary, like she has been since like 2007.

Well said.

I love Taylor and while she has achieved huge success it will probably also hinder her long term prospects. When pop is done with you they are DONE. Whereas country will play your songs well into your 40's if you keep releasing them..... but country is a rather closed club and they no longer see Taylor as one of their own. They also don't give second chances (See The Dixie Chicks) Its notoriously hard to cross over from pop to country.

Still. I doubt she would have it any other way. She is a worldwide megastar.

WaaaaaaaiT it was OUT?

RIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

I only watched the first hour SNEEK peek from iTunes weeks ago. I thought it wasn't out for another week. Mess. I haven't seen any commercials either

The ratings are disappointing (I missed it as well).

I enjoy the show and it is far superior to Glee. There is no way it gets a third season, but it should benefit somewhat from The Voice when it returns.

I doubt people will come for 1D about their future if they actually made music worth listening to.

No one is falling for your bait hun.

Lets not pretend that Biebers early work wasn't trash.

SaintZ

Boybands in general do tend to have limited reigns of about 3-6 years. However, if you look at pop acts in general the failure rate is significant. Where is Miley Cyrus? Hilary Duff? Jesse McCartney? They were not in bands yet flamed out.

I would argue its more of a "teen idol" failure rate than a "boyband" failure rate when we talk about bands not lasting. The teen idol type stars in general (which would include Bieber and to a lessor extent Taylor) tend to flame out very quickly, but there are always exceptions.
I'm not sure if I agree with the comparison. Miley, Hilary and Jesse are actors turned singers. I always felt that these type of "teen idols" were never really taken seriously as singers because they were having success thanks to their TV projects (although I thought Hilary decided to retire in order to form a family because her success as singer lasted beyond Lizzie McGuire). Taylor and Justin's main focus have always been music and they have had time to experiment and try new things giving them a chance to evolve IMO (well at least I feel Justin has grown as an artist... Taylor not so much).

I'm not sure if I agree with the comparison. Miley, Hilary and Jesse are actors turned singers. I always felt that these type of "teen idols" were never really taken seriously as singers because they were having success thanks to their TV projects (although I thought Hilary decided to retire in order to form a family because her success as singer lasted beyond Lizzie McGuire). Taylor and Justin's main focus have always been music and they have had time to experiment and try new things giving them a chance to evolve IMO (well at least I feel Justin has grown as an artist... Taylor not so much).

My one argument is that no one knew this back when they were new. Bieber was incredibly "produced" and one dimensional in the early days ....... at least give 1D some time to try to evolve imo. They have only been big for maybe 3-5 months now and people are already complaining about how they only do the same sound/style.

I am not saying they will take the opportunity, but its not impossible either.

When they flop feel free to drop "I told you so" on me, but lets not pretend you can ever really predict what will happen with music. People who make predictions in general usually end up looking like fools I have found. Which is why I am not predicting 1D's long term success either.

Artemisia

Banned
1D's career trajectory doesn't seem to give time for evolving. What was that statement saying that they were going to release an album a year for the next three years? Yeah, no 1D's management has no interest in evolving the music. They have this shit planned. They just want to cash in as much as they can as fast as they can.

The struggles of stanning for label slaves
image.php

1D's career trajectory doesn't seem to give time for evolving. What was that statement saying that they were going to release an album a year for the next three years? Yeah, no 1D's management has no interest in evolving the music. They have this shit planned. They just want to cash in as much as they can as fast as they can.

The struggles of stanning for label slaves
image.php

Probably true.

However, as long as they remain successful through those 3 album there is always the possibility of solo careers for Harry and Zayn. Who knows what will happen in 4 years?

(Not predicting either will be successful. I would be shocked if they don't try though.)

I am there for the ride.

Koodo

Banned
Not the source of that cover being a tumblr. GOD DAMN have some decency.

But what a shame, I actually like it kiiiiii.

Kelly's People Magazine cover:

24tPwlY.jpg

Apparently she is working on two albums currently. Essentially confirming that she will be releasing an Xmas album AND a studio album in the next year (maybe year and a half). RCA going to milk her for what she is worth while she is still under contract.

Also confirms Grammy's performance but right now it seems that the majority of rumors are saying it will be a cover or tribute.

Speaking of covers. This one is flawless:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9BcXuF3bVI&list=PLPV_NJfznE-k0WtpR5qLVHuxsr53qA4wE&index=90
Yes! I love that she is currently working on two albums. That means that she will be out of that No1CurRCA contract in no time. I'm thrilled about getting an Xmas album.

A tribute/cover for the Grammy's is quite lame, though. Oh well, I'll take what we are given.

"I was dating skinny jeans and needed Wranglers"

I AM SCREAMING
I love that. xD

Majmun

Kylie is now part of the CARTERTAX?

Who cares how you haters feel. Call Jay up and close the deal *.*

Money well spent, Jay. Guess it's time to ante up my Kylie stanning.

jbug617

Banned
Justin Timberlake album cover.

Tracklist

Pusher Love Girl
Suit & Tie
Don't Hold the Wall
Strawberry Bubblegum
Tunnel Vision
Spaceship Coupe
That Girl
Let the Groove Get In
Mirrors
Blue Ocean Floor

Nemesis_

Hideous. And given the quality of two tracks we've heard so far it's disappointing to see such a short album. The other tracks better make up for it, tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom