• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, didn't RCA payola the hell out of Your Body? I distinctly remember it being played at the top of every hour at the Top 40 stations the weekend it was first released with the requisite "this is provided by RCA" message attached.

royalan

Hm, didn't RCA payola the hell out of Your Body? I distinctly remember it being played at the top of every hour at the Top 40 stations the weekend it was first released with the requisite "this is provided by RCA" message attached.

At the most it got one-day payola is the speculation.

I see. It seems like those payola promotions do more harm than good: You Da One, Gimme All Your Luvin', Your Body, Suit and Tie (is this flopping? I honestly don't know). Are there any examples of songs that have benefited from it?

edit: Oh, looks like Suit and Tie is still holding on. Bleh

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I didnt know Cascada still made music

Glorious sounds like Euphoria and apparently there are allegations that its a copy RIP

but I'm in a dance mood so I use
iH4g3XnzBQrZT.gif

I see. It seems like those payola promotions do more harm than good: You Da One, Gimme All Your Luvin', Your Body, Suit and Tie (is this flopping? I honestly don't know). Are there any examples of songs that have benefited from it?

Its not flopping, but its not setting the world on fire either. Took it weeks to regain the AI it had during its first week payola. Though it has had reasonably strong updates the last couple of days. It received a distinct bump from the Grammy's.

As to Your Body payola. I went back and checked the songs updates for the first week of release and I highly doubt she had any sort of significant radio deal. The updates she had were all between 1.5-2.5 million which is very typical for early updates of an established artist. When Justin had his payola he had several updates around 20 million.

Though I also agree that Payola has virtually no impact on the long term success or failure of a song. I think Justin just did it to try for a debut week #1.

Reading that thread is quite humorous. The Fighters were so convinced that she would smash.

royalan

Reading that thread is quite humorous. The Fighters were so convinced that she would smash.

How could we not? The key components were all there. Some of the National Anthem hate was starting to blow over. She'd been on a top-rated show for several seasons (although I had been wary since, outside of Moves Like Jagger, Christina was the only judge to not use The Voice to sell music until Lotus launched, which I thought was a mistake). She was more visible than she had ever been and had a lead single with MAJOR smash potential (and don't you hoes try to deny it now. I have the RECEIPTS for how many of you stanned Your Body until it started flopping).

Lotus could have been a moderate success at LEAST. I just don't think ANYBODY was expecting LESS effort to be put into Lotus than Bionic. Not the stans and certainly not the haters.

I didnt know Cascada still made music

Glorious sounds like Euphoria and apparently there are allegations that its a copy RIP

but I'm in a dance mood so I use
iH4g3XnzBQrZT.gif
Dead, it really is kind of a shameless ripoff. And she's entering it in Eurovision?

R.I.P. to the girl you used to see
Her days are over, baby she's over

Oh, oop. Maybe my local stations just stanned for Your Body, bless their hearts.

Naw, its likely that she did have some sort of radio deal. However, it was probably with one of the smaller station groups rather than Clear Channel (which is where you put your money if you want 100 million AI your first week).

That thread....ugh. Live While Were Young also came out that week. Had a 7+ million update with no payola and still managed to flop :(

royalan

^^ That reminds me. The fact that RCA let "Your Body" leak a full MONTH before they sent it to radio is another thing to add to the pile of label fuck-ups this era. That should have been the first sign of trouble. Maybe 2 years ago people used to think that EVERYTHING leaked eventually, but I think last year demonstrated that if a label has enough of an interest in a single and doesn't want it to leak, it won't.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Deals aren't always bad. "Diamonds" had a one-day deal and went on to the top of the Hot 100. A lot of it has to do with the artist, and the rest really is gravy. Promotion does t denote success or failure of any single.

^^ That reminds me. The fact that RCA let "Your Body" leak a full MONTH before they sent it to radio is another thing to add to the pile of label fuck-ups this era. That should have been the first sign of trouble. Maybe 2 years ago people used to think that EVERYTHING leaked eventually, but I think last year demonstrated that if a label has enough of an interest in a single and doesn't want it to leak, it won't.

Which artist didn't have a leak this year though? (only counting artists who people care about and people KNEW had music coming soon)

All my fav's leaked.

What is this from?

I need to get into plug more..... I am missing all the fun apparently.

I thinks its a radio site as well, I am just using it to keep track of the things I listen to

I have it scrobbling my Spotify and phone plays for an accurate reading

Ah. Hopefully you are right and it does radio lol. I need to listen to top 40 more........ I find that oftentimes I have never heard half the songs in the top 10.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kanye West going on a rant
like always

Team Kanye Daily ‏@TeamKanyeDaily
During Kanye's rant in London he said, "I got love for Hov, but I aint ****ing with that suit & tie."

"I don't give a **** what the president got to say" - Kanye, during his rant.

Clara Amfo ‏@claraamfo
According the Kanye, Grammy's promised him he could open the show 4 years ago, then Gaga got hot and he was bumped. The rant goes on LOL

"I've never won a Grammy against a White person" - Kanye

i65HOzbEdAq9Q.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kanye is seething at Justin because JT and JZ are the new rap 'it' couple while he's stuck with Kim Kardashian and his 'baby'.

Majmun

That's one of the funniest shit I've seen here. I woke my dog with my chuckle lol

But I see some truth in royalan's post. The rca promo was disgusting. Lotus deserved much better. It definitely had the potential to smash.

Its flopping could also be Xtina's lack of dedication, though. I personally think it's a mixture of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom