• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
K so i never visited Nem's minus before.. was looking and screaming at all the descriptions and after all the flawless i just randomly clicked this last one and

iHeM0fYOi7Zac.gif

SCREAMING

3phemeral

I wonder if her supposed distaste for that song is just a myth.

I mean, she did sing it on tour, so she has to dig it on some level.

I think I read a while back that she had some sort of fight with the co-writer of the song and vowed to never sing/use it again so that she wouldn't get any royalties from it.

I don't wanna cry
I don't wanna cry
Nothing in the world could take us back
To where we used to be
Boy I've given you my heart and soul
(Given you my heart and soul)
Now I must find a way of letting go
Cuz Baby
I don't wanna cry...

Classic Mimi just shits on so many of your faves...

As much as I love I Don't Wanna Cry, I find it to be more of a solid lyrical effort compared to songs like Underneath the Stars:

One summer night
We ran away for awhile
Laughing
We hurried beneath the sky
To an obscure place to hide
That no one could find

And we drifted to another state of mind
And imagined I was yours and you were mine
As we lay upon the grass there in the dark
Underneath the Stars

Weak in the knees
Wrapped in a warm, gentle breeze (and I was)
So shy. A bundle of butterflies
Flushed with the heat of desire
On a natural high

As we drifted to another place in time
And the feeling was so heady and sublime
As I lost my heart to you
There in the dark
Underneath the stars
(Young love) ohhhhhh

Ohh, Beautiful and bittersweetly
(You were fading into me)
And I
(And I was gently fading into you)
Baby, baby, babe, babe
(But the time went sailing by)
Oooh, Ooh, yeah
(Reluctantly we said goodbye)
Oh yeah
(And left our secret place so far behind)
And I lay in bed all night
And I was drifting
Drifting
Drifting
Drifting

Which "4th of July" is a spiritual sister of with lines like:

So starry eyed
On the flowery hillside
Breathless
And fervid
Amid the dandelions

As it swept over me
Like the wind through the trees
I felt you
Sigh with a
Sweet intensity (and baby)

Then you put your hand in mine
And we
Floated away (floated away)

The way she sings the second "floated away" is ethereally magical.

Pure poetry. Much like The Roof.

I'm here for Mariah's first album. I still sing A Vision of Love from beginning to end at shower time. Tehe! It's probably my favourite song of hers.

1. TAYLOR SWIFT – I Knew You Were Trouble: 195.133 (-0.297)
2. BRUNO MARS – Locked Out Of Heaven: 164.644 (-0.517)
3. MACKLEMORE & RYAN LEWIS – Thrift Shop f/Wanz: 164.556 (+2.264)
4. SWEDISH HOUSE MAFIA – Don’t You Worry Child: 161.307 (-0.101)
5. WILL.I.AM & BRITNEY SPEARS – Scream And Shout: 143.027 (+0.545)
6. LUMINEERS – Ho Hey: 133.327 (-0.860)
7. MAROON 5 – Daylight: 127.472 (+2.133)
8. PINK – Try: 112.519 (-1.125)
9. JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE – Suit & Tie f/JAY Z: 108.381 (+2.001)
10. CALVIN HARRIS – Sweet Nothing f/Florence Welch: 102.873 (+0.629)

11. KELLY CLARKSON – Catch My Breath: 96.628 (+0.506)
12. JUSTIN BIEBER – Beauty And A Beat f/N. Minaj: 91.948 (-1.732)
13. BRUNO MARS – When I Was Your Man: 87.277 (+2.975)
14. IMAGINE DRAGONS – It’s Time: 82.122 (+1.928) ▲
15. ALICIA KEYS – Girl On Fire: 80.638 (-2.202) ▼
16. MAROON 5 – One More Night: 76.265 (-1.196)
17. RIHANNA – Pour It Up: 76.222 (+0.595)
18. A$AP ROCKY – F**kin Problems f/Drake: 75.752 (+0.540)
19. MUMFORD & SONS – I Will Wait: 71.206 (+0.468)
20. PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Home: 69.520 (+0.211)

KE$HA – C’mon: 67.461 (-0.536)
TIM MCGRAW – One Of Those Nights: 66.671 (-0.045)
THE BAND PERRY – Better Dig Two: 63.289 4.155 (-1.000)
OF MONSTERS AND MEN – Little Talks: 62.631 (-0.055)
CARRIE UNDERWOOD – Two Black Cadillacs: 54.345 (+0.405)
BLAKE SHELTON – Sure Be Cool If You Did: 49.369 (+0.505)
PITBULL – Feel This Moment f/C. Aguilera: 48.788 (+1.343)
RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 40.344 (+1.640)
FUN. – Carry On: 39.686 (+1.028)
OLLY MURS – Troublemaker f/Flo Rida: 37.484 (+0.108)
LADY ANTEBELLUM – Downtown: 37.457 (+0.600)
DRAKE – Started From The Bottom: 35.144 (+1.005)
MUSE – Madness: 29.882 (+0.089)
ONE DIRECTION – Kiss You: 23.211 (+0.453)

KREWELLA – Alive: 22.168 (+1.282)
FALL OUT BOY – My Songs Know What You Did…: 16.178 (+0.612)
KELLY ROWLAND – Kisses Down Low: 9.774
LUMINEERS – Stubborn Love: 8.959 (+0.028)
PINK – Just Give Me A Reason: 7.626 (+0.939)
CHER LLOYD – With Ur Love f/Juicy J: 5.696 (+0.144)
BAAUER – Harlem Shake: 5.151
PHILLIP PHILLIPS – Gone, Gone, Gone: 4.102 (+0.256)
MARIAH CAREY – Almost Home: 0.226 (+0.002)
CALVIN HARRIS – I Need Your Love: 0.049

Pink needs to start falling faster so Kelly can go top 10.

(Most likely Bruno will pass her and her peak will be #11)

Our boys need something new now :/

Eh. I am not going to give up on Kiss You till its over. Its not looking good, but with the change to the hot 100 formula it could REALLY help them on the chart.

They were never very strong on radio. Despite the fact that WMYB was a a significant cultural hit, yet it only peaked at #9 on top 40 radio simply because, unlike Rih/Gaga/Katy, they have no cross format appeal. Its pop and thats it.... they can't count on urban, rhythmic, country, dance, club, etc to inflate their #'s.

With the change though they are are virtually guaranteed to go top 10 every time they release a music video. Using Cory's formula One Way Or Another is almost certainly going to be top 10 this week......maybe even as high as #3 on Hot 100.

Only way they miss top 10 is if very, very few of the views for their music video are coming from the US. If you assume 40% come from the US they have top 10 on lock.

Delio

Eh. I am not going to give up on Kiss You till its over. Its not looking good, but with the change to the hot 100 formula it could REALLY help them on the chart.

They were never very strong on radio. Despite the fact that WMYB was a a significant cultural hit, yet it only peaked at #9 on top 40 radio simply because, unlike Rih/Gaga/Katy, they have no cross format appeal. Its pop and thats it.... they can't count on urban, rhythmic, country, dance, club, etc to inflate their #'s.

With the change though their are virtually guaranteed to go top 10 every time they release a music video. Using Cory's formula One Way Or Another is almost certainly going to be top 10 this week......maybe even as high as #3 on Hot 100.

Only way they miss top 10 is if very, very few of the views for their music video are coming from the US. If you assume 40% come from the US they have top 10 on lock.

I hope your right. I want Kiss you to do better ( i really love it)

Nemesis_

Random and off topic but DMJ, I've started 90210. Why is everyone in this show so beautiful and attractive? This is such an unrealistic representation of high school.

It's so trashy and messy but I lahv it. *.*

The main chick is a flop tho.

In music news.

You can view the music videos for Carly Rae's Tonight I'm Getting Over You as well as Nelly Furtado's Bucket List now.

EDIT: lordT Shannen Doherty's teeth has she been eating shrapnel since Charmed ;_;

DMeisterJ

Banned
Random and off topic but DMJ, I've started 90210. Why is everyone in this show so beautiful and attractive? This is such an unrealistic representation of high school.

It's so trashy and messy but I lahv it. *.*

The main chick is a flop tho.

EDIT: lordT Shannen Doherty's teeth has she been eating shrapnel since Charmed ;_;

Wait, you're telling me your school wasnt full of ridiculously good looking people who all had tons of money? Poor you.

And yes, Shannon's teeth :/. Guess dental insurance is not part of the SAG benefit package.

Nemesis_

Wait, you're telling me your school wasnt full of ridiculously good looking people who all had tons of money? Poor you.

And yes, Shannon's teeth :/. Guess dental insurance is not part of the SAG benefit package.

Bitch there were still losers who were fugly lbr.

Anyway, MORE NEWS.

One producer may not be on ARTPOP
Or ARTPOP is going to be much longer than expected

Swedish news site aftonbladet recently interview RedOne and asked him about Lady Gagas upcoming album "ARTPOP" and this is what he answered:

Nothing is done. We have talked about working in March and see what happens. We'll have to see if the chemistry and magic between us still exist. If they do, then it will be like old times. But if not, then we won't do it. We both want to try.

http://www.aftonbladet.se/nojesbladet/musik/article16257961.ab

For reference, RedOne worked on: -

"Boys Boys Boys"
"Just Dance"
"LoveGame"
"Money Honey"
"Paper Gangsta"
"Poker Face"
"Alejandro"
"Bad Romance"
"Monster"
"So Happy I Could Die"
"Hair"
"Judas"
"Scheiße"​

Nemesis_

RedOne and Gaga are such a good combination. I hope she can get at least one track with him for ARTPOP.

If he has just said that they were talking in March about working together (and this is almost a year ago) then what are the chances? ;_:

JCX

Is Artpop coming anytime soon? If it isn't as big as The Fame/Monster, she'll be relegated to pop-niche status.

Delio

I dedicate this song to you
The one who never sees the truth
That i can take away you hurt, Heartbreak girl

Why the hell am I liking this song. I don't need another band full of boys. Waffle help.

tumblr_mioc7bgkOs1rzwcrvo2_500.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
^^ Just stay listening to OWOA

One way or another I’m gonna see ya (I wanna hold you, wanna hold you tight)
I’m gonna meetcha meetcha meetcha meetcha (I wanna hold you, wanna hold you tight)
(I wanna hold you, wanna hold you tight) One way or another I’m gonna win ya
I’m gonna getcha getcha getcha getcha (I wanna hold you, wanna hold you tight)

ieT32HvJ8aZPi.gif

Delio

I am but these boys are opening for 1D and now im exposed to their music and i'm kinda feeling it.

You call me up,
Its like a broken record
Saying that your heart hurts
Thought you never get over him getting over you,

And you end up crying
And i end up lying,
Cause im just a sucker for anything that you do,

And when then phone call finally ends,
You say thanks for being a friend
And im going in circles again and again.

tumblr_mio6f9LuiP1rjtmkyo1_500.gif

JCX

BTW sold (or at least shipped) 8 million copies. I doubt she'll be relegated to niche status anytime soon.

It's not as big of a deal when you sell your album at launch for 99 cents. Plus that's coming off the hype of TFM, arguably the height of her popularity so far.

royalan

It's not as big of a deal when you sell your album at launch for 99 cents. Plus that's coming off the hype of TFM, arguably the height of her popularity so far.

Yep.

I'll be surprised if Lady Wii U sells half that with her next album.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Lady 30MillionPerfumesBottlesSoldGa's Amazon deal only sold 440,000 out of the 7 Million but yall can keep trying it with the 99 cent deal. And I'm sure the TFM hype was the thing that gave her another tour that would have grossed $200 M, Lady FadingButStillDoingBetterThanAnyoneNotCalledAdeleGa isn't going to fade girls, if you call it fading than everyone else is non existent

ieT32HvJ8aZPi.gif

Kyon

Banned
BTW sold (or at least shipped) 8 million copies. I doubt she'll be relegated to niche status anytime soon.

That number was told to her in the beginning and it was a lie. Now I'm not sure what the real number is probably nowadays it probably surpassed it . But that 8 million that was reported was fake. It was like 6mill

Bladenic

Lady 30MillionPerfumesBottlesSoldGa's Amazon deal only sold 440,000 out of the 7 Million but yall can keep trying it with the 99 cent deal. And I'm sure the TFM hype was the thing that gave her another tour that would have grossed $200 M, Lady FadingButStillDoingBetterThanAnyoneNotCalledAdeleGa isn't going to fade girls, if you call it fading than everyone else is non existent

ieT32HvJ8aZPi.gif

They really are trying it. Even if Artpop sells less than BTW (say like 4-5 mil) it would still be a big success in today's musical climate.

royalan

Half was too weak a word.

I'll be really surprised if Gaga's next album goes double platinum.

I mean, you really can't discount the insane amount of hype that surrounded Gaga TFM-BTW eras and the effect it had. That hype is pretty much gone now. The GP might still be interested on some level, but they've long since moved on from being OBSESSED with every move Gaga made. And, unless you're the new current iT thing (Adele/T.Swift/One Direction), you're just not putting up numbers like that these days.

I think BTW was her fall from grace, and once you get to that point it's hard to climb back. I witnessed it with my fave. She went from a 5x platinum album and top grossing world tour with an album that was a huge turn-off to her traditional pop audience, to...well, Bionic...

izkX6vQKckOwr.gif

I'm interested in the sound of the Gaga's ARTPOP. But I'm honestly not expecting impressive numbers from Lady Wii U this time around.

icoKypeOF0b1q.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Well she will never see The Fame/Monster level of sales again but if the singles are on point which weren't with BTW, then 2x platinum will be an easy task especially since its being released in the Fall

and she likes to promote wherever she can unlike Xtina
untitled3_1.gif

cory64

Amazon's discount accounted for 440,000 out of 2.2 million in the US, or 1/5 of the total. That's not an insignificant amount.

cory64

No, but at least it's had steady sales and will get there without a problem. It's embarrassing that BTW barely squeaked out double platinum after that opening.

cory64

Loud got close so I don't see why not. Stay + AC audience support = album sales.
And 3 singles in 5 months, how is that too many?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Two singles between September and February. I see Marius trying it. And Rih will have a sixth platinum album before the end of summer. That's six in a row. Her sales are not comparable to Gaga's but that doesn't mean they're bad.

3phemeral

I think BTW was her fall from grace, and once you get to that point it's hard to climb back. I witnessed it with my fave. She went from a 5x platinum album and top grossing world tour with an album that was a huge turn-off to her traditional pop audience, to...well, Bionic...

The difference is that Gaga relentlessly promotes. Xtina lost her appeal because she became complacent and let it happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom