• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

They're praising 20/20 for being above mindless hits, but that's a pretty shitty point when it's still coming from that DNA, only "letting it breathe" for 7 minutes instead of finding something interesting to do. The interludes on FS/LS actually evolved and added to the content of their main songs, the majority of the tracks on here rely on the interludey parts to carry the album with not much given to build off of. And if you're going for a "timeless" sound, go all the fucking way in both directions lest you come off as lazy (not really talking about Tim on this, JT was the one who failed to turn the music into something substantial). Stability can create art that doesn't have to compromise emotion (see: Countdown), JT just didn't do that.

What I want to know is why Metacritic has not one, but TWO reviews from Sputnikmusic.com counting towards 20/20's overall score (with both reviews awarding him a 100 and 94 score)?

Servbot24

Banned
They're praising 20/20 for being above mindless hits, but that's a pretty shitty point when it's still coming from that DNA, only "letting it breathe" for 7 minutes instead of finding something interesting to do. The interludes on FS/LS actually evolved and added to the content of their main songs, the majority of the tracks on here rely on the interludey parts to carry the album with not much given to build off of. And if you're going for a "timeless" sound, go all the fucking way in both directions lest you come off as lazy (not really talking about Tim on this, JT was the one who failed to turn the music into something substantial). Stability can create art that doesn't have to compromise emotion (see: Countdown), JT just didn't do that.

First off who cares what DNA it comes from, judge it as a singular work.

Second the interludes are just as developed as they were on FS in that they're practically their own songs that play on former themes. Let the Groove In is certainly unnecessary, but that's why the album is an 8 rather than a 9.

Not sure what you mean by going all the way, or why you assume JT was going for a timeless sound. Production here is undeniably fresh imo.

cory64

Still...I detect fuckery.
We're just pressed because we can't handle how challenging this album is.

I was talking about the music within the album, not Justin's past work.

Second the interludes are just as developed as they were on FS in that they're practically their own songs that play on former themes. Let the Groove In is certainly unnecessary, but that's why the album is an 8 rather than a 9.
not much given to build off of.
Not sure what you mean by going all the way, or why you assume JT was going for a timeless sound. Production here is undeniably fresh imo.
I said that I wasn't really coming for the production, it's Justin that sounds woefully out of sync with a lot of the directions the production is pushing.

Nemesis_

ijd2aXqx7R5W.gif

So I started this thing where if I'm bored I just send my friend the one same photo of Rihfund over and over again
xSSlQLS.png

Also, is The Barbara Walters Experience worth it? My whole Twitter timeline was erupting over it.

royalan

Here's where I checked out of Pitchfork's review:

Pitchfork, and several other publications, have attempted to defend JT's extended tracks by pointing out that it's a classic move back from "the day" when the album was a sacred art. They then point to people like Micheal Jackson and Marvin Gaye as examples of people who have done this.

I get that. I think everyone gets that.

However, I am hard pressed to think of a Pop/R&B/Soul track where 80% of the tracks all clocked in at over 7 minutes.

It gets to a point where you have to stop praising the novelty and "ballsiness" of extended tracks, and start questioning whether or not it adds anything to the music or the experience of the album.

For most of the tracks, I just think the answer is no.

But JT set out to make a "mature Pop album," and his profile is big enough for people to pay attention. Add to that the fact that people don't like to take Pop music seriously in the first place, and it becomes easy to see how one of the biggest male names in Pop subtly dissing the entire genre will attract a lot of praise from highbrow "music enthusiasts."

If I have to read one more fucking review about how JT is proving that Pop music is capable of something "real" and showing that the "pop album isn't dead" I'm going to puke.

Pop music doesn't need JT's help.

Servbot24

Banned

I was talking about the music within the album, not Justin's past work.

I said that I wasn't really coming for the production, it's Justin that sounds woefully out of sync with a lot of the directions the production is pushing.

Not really a challenging album in the least, just fun to listen to. I for one can't stop.

At any rate, yes it's built from with pop in mind, but that's not necessarily its mission. Record may as well be called Timberlake & Timberland because it's an equal opportunity disc, both play off each other to equal degrees and it's so much more fresh than simply writing a hook and backing it up (a method I have absolutely no problem with).

Not sure what to tell you about JT being out of sync unless you give a specific example.

Regarding track lengths, it just seems an irrelevant and arbitrary thing to complain about. It's a couple extra minutes here and there, for the most part they sound cool.

And of course the reviews are going to claw about at imaginary "culturally relevant" scraps. Anything to get them out of describing the actual music and make them feel important. JT isn't out to save pop, he's under no delusion that pop needs saving. He just did what he wanted, and pop happens to be a big influence for him. Btw, I'm not giving him credit for making the music he wanted as if that's some grand artistic achievement; it's the bare minimum I hold every artist to.

Don't know why people are so pressed about JT, it's the same old but it's probably the best pop album since, well, MDNA.

tumblr_mhs40mnfCz1ryltlyo3_250.gif

Because they songs are too long and they mess up my playlist!!

Seriously POPGAF, you`re not doing yourselves any favors by hating on the album of the year. The album is rock solid. They only thing missing is dance tracks and that`s what PART DOS is for.

Justin+Timberlake+Making+New+Music!!.gif

cory64

The Weeknd was able to put out 3 albums with:
•multiple long songs with interludes that went somewhere and didn't outstay their welcome
•a strong concept
•a strong sense of pop
•respect payed to various classic sources
•vocal style experimentation
•fresh production
•a total "experience" from start to finish

Honestly, I'm kind of suspecting Justin wanted to do something like what The Weeknd did, but with GQ replacing codeine.

royalan

Seriously POPGAF, you`re not doing yourselves any favors by hating on the album of the year. The album is rock solid. They only thing missing is dance tracks and that`s what PART DOS is for.

You claim the album is "rock solid," THEN imply that it's missing something in the very next sentence.

Just proving my point.

Quality isn't what's selling this album. Justin's bravado is.

+1 for Hyoyeon gif

+1 for knowing.

Hopefully the MDNA comparison leads to other similarities in trajectory.

Another iconic tour? Has JT even had one of those? Does the Xtina Agorilla tour count?

Justin+Timberlake+Making+New+Music!!.gif

iHw403gIRhgJE.gif

Xtina Agorilla
iWkaQ45Nwf4br.gif

I've tried to like 20/20. Really. I spent my entire 6 hour roadtrip listening to it. And then my engine died and I had to get it towed into town, but that's beside the point.

Point is that I can only use Strawberry Bubblegum and Tunnel Vision regularly because the rest sounds like stuff that Justin himself has done before, but worse. A 4/20 experience for me.

You claim the album is "rock solid," THEN imply that it's missing something in the very next sentence.

Just proving my point.

Quality isn't what's selling this album. Justin's bravado is.

I mentioned the dance tracks for POPGAF's benefit. Since Suit & Tie was unveiled the criticisms were that it was no SexyBack Part Deux or some hip current dancey tune.

The album knows what it is and what it does it does extremely well. I don't see anything wrong with it save for the fact that it probably won't be a singles chart topper. I personally don't see this as a negative.

Another iconic tour? Has JT even had one of those? Does the Xtina Agorilla tour count?

I think that is very likely actually. JT is reaching the twilight of his career, and just like other artists in a similar position the tour receipts will skyrocket as a result of nostalgia.

While radio gives pays it "meh" (outside of singles with PAID radio play) and the album sales open huge then disappear.

royalan

I mentioned the dance tracks for POPGAF's benefit. Since Suit and Tie was unveiled the criticisms were that it was no SexyBack Part Deux or some hip dancey tune.

The album is what it is and what it does it does extremely well. I don't see anything wrong with it save for the fact that it probably won't be a singles chart topper. I personally don't see this as a negative.

Yeah, because PopGAF only stans artists who produce club bangers.

So all those posts devoted to how Jessie Ware, Lana Del Rey, Florence Welch, Sia, Fiona Apple, and even MICHAEL BUBLE shit on lives with their music must mean nothing?

GTFO with all this pretending like you pay attention to PopGAF (until it's convenient for you).

It's really not that hard. Believe it or not some people actually enjoy different stuff once in a while. I like to be reminded of the greats from yesteryear. JT distilles the best from proven music icons. I suppose a valid criticism would be that we're listening to a white boy clearly emulating Prince amd MJ when we could actually be listening to the real Prince and King. But when the music is this well made it's hard to complain.

Btw, I didn't realize I had to check in daily to establish POPGAF creed. Please don't let me get in the way of your superior musical opinions.

OAx59.gif

Servbot24

Banned
I suppose a valid criticism would be that we're listening to a white boy clearly emulating Prince amd MJ when we could actually be listening to the real Prince and King. But when the music is this well made it's hard to complain.

That's not a valid criticism. If we weren't allowed to listen to artists that riff off of other artists we'd be pretty fucking limited in our options.

Please don't let me get in the way of your superior musical opinions.

The irony of this line is lost on no one I hope?

Yeah, because PopGAF only stans artists who produce club bangers.

So all those posts devoted to how Jessie Ware, Lana Del Rey, Florence Welch, Sia, Fiona Apple, and even MICHAEL BUBLE shit on lives with their music must mean nothing?

GTFO with all this pretending like you pay attention to PopGAF (until it's convenient for you).

Much truth in this post. Personally, I hate almost all "club" singles. The rare exception is Sia and maybe one Ke$ha song.

99% of the time when I hear EDM music that I like I think it would have been better without the EDM spin.

I expressed my opinion like everyone else. Should I shut up and GTFO just because I like an album. Srsly Gurls.

.... because those who DO like 20/20 are being so fair and giving to those who don't huh?

I have seen 10x more elitist and dismissive comments directed at those who don't like it than have been directed at those who do overall.

Maybe not in the popgaf thread itself, but that is because the popgaffers who do like it generally stay in the 20/20 OT.

cory64

There's a lot of stuff worth liking on 20/20, I just don't believe there's much worth praising, and that it's getting a misguided critical reception.

Servbot24

Banned
There's a lot of stuff worth liking on 20/20, I just don't believe there's much worth praising.

Ambition, which I'm always a sucker for.

When does the next pop album come out. I don't even know what to look forward to this year. No trust in B, and I'm already dreading R's next yearly installment.

Nadia Oh is back in the studio, now there is a pop savior. Space Cowboy just play that track.

tumblr_m55vivanxx1qjhjyxo1_500.gif

royalan

From the Black Culture Thread's podcast...

"Yo, Taylor Swift is Brandy, except she ain't killed nobody yet."

Ok...maybe they're a little funny...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet.
Still don't know how the English demo went from "Shiner on U" to "OMG I HAVE A BOY~!!"

Korean gender roles ftl. I hope someone fixes Sunny's hair before they slay the colonies.

Omg also, Soo and Hyo are my faves too. WHY ARE YOU STILL A JUNIOR? This is ridiculous.

Korean gender roles ftl. I hope someone fixes Sunny's hair before they slay the colonies.

Omg also, Soo and Hyo are my faves too. WHY ARE YOU STILL A JUNIOR? This is ridiculous.

Sunny's "boy" hair after The Boys got tired like Bjork's vocal chords.
And those blue curls, ooh sis please.

I heard "Suit & Tie" more than once, never cared for it. I took a listen to "Mirrors" today, though, and it's so flawless. Well, almost flawless, if it weren't for that mess at the end. It needs to be a single.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom