• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I heard "Suit & Tie" more than once, never cared for it. I took a listen to "Mirrors" today, though, and it's so flawless. Well, almost flawless, if it weren't for that mess at the end. It needs to be a single.

I imagine it will be as it is one in the UK and has been #1 for the last three weeks. Definitely a better song than Suit & Tie

Styles

Rihanna's tour looks so basic compared to Taylor's. Like, what was the budget? The transitions seem sloppy and the lighting effects looks so basic.

ibtjnaKwclZzFO.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Stefan™;50693073 said:
Rihanna's tour looks so basic compared to Taylor's. Like, what was the budget? The transitions seem sloppy and the lighting effects looks so basic.

ibtjnaKwclZzFO.gif

Not Rih having you so bothered to come post some random drive-by shade.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Rih doesn't need so much pomp and gaudiness anyway.

Really? Because she cant sing or dance very well, would have thought all the effects would at least provide a distraction

Nemesis_

From the shots posted here, the RED tour just looks like Taylor squinting and surrounding herself with copious amounts of men.

And she wonders where her IMAGE comes from.

The 20/20 Experience on all day today at work. About four people from my office are going to Target just to buy the CD, and a few more already bought it on iTunes and have it playing in their offices. I love big pop culture moments like this; especially when the material itself is so damn good.

I'm thinking of cooking up a review for this. So far here's how I rank the songs:

GOD TIER:

- Pusher Love Girl
- Suit & Tie (sans Jay-Z ;__;)
- Let The Groove Get In
- Mirrors
- Body Count

STILL BETTER THAN YOURS:

- Don't Hold The Wall
- Strawberry Bubblegum

INTRIGUING BUT SKIPPABLE:

- Spaceship Coupe
- Tunnel Vision

FUTURESKIP/LAMESOUNDS:

- Dress On
- That Girl
- Blue Ocean Floor

DMeisterJ

Banned
FUTURESKIP/LAMESOUNDS:

- Pusher Love Girl
- Suit & Tie (sans Jay-Z ;__;)
- Let The Groove Get In
- Mirrors
- Body Count

FUTURESKIP/LAMESOUNDS:

- Don't Hold The Wall
- Strawberry Bubblegum

FUTURESKIP/LAMESOUNDS:

- Spaceship Coupe
- Tunnel Vision

FUTURESKIP/LAMESOUNDS:

- Dress On
- That Girl
- Blue Ocean Floor

Trigger

Spaceship Coupe would rank higher for me if not for the sex moans in the back end of the song. lol, not a song I'll have playing in the car with family inside.

PowderedToast

bow down made me cringe on first listen but i keep returning to it...

i'd love to see bey push her musical boundaries more, so that part i like. jus hope that 5 isn't all trend hopping

This is the best example of Beyonce pushing her musical boundaries:
Beyoncé_-_B%27Day_%282006%29.jpg

I think I Am... Sasha Fierce is the biggest push of her music boundaries, since the first half is almost entirely folk-acoustic. It's the only album of hers where the the first half (which, by her definition, is its own album) could almost not even be considered R&B, which was the furthest she went from her archetype.

Artemisia

Banned
The 20/20 Experience on all day today at work. About four people from my office are going to Target just to buy the CD, and a few more already bought it on iTunes and have it playing in their offices. I love big pop culture moments like this; especially when the material itself is so damn good.

I have to agree. Even though don't quite like the 20/20 experience much, it's not even close to being terrible enough for me to curse the planet for their bad taste in music (Rihanna getting her first number 1 album would be a good example of when I did this).

I can't wait for the ARTPOP pre release hype ;_; I can't wait to be perched on iTunes waiting to buy the album. I hope it doesn't leak so the entire planet is baptized at the same moment and it all feels official.

I have to agree. Even though don't quite like the 20/20 experience much, it's not even close to being terrible enough for me to curse the planet for their bad taste in music (Rihanna getting her first number 1 album would be a good example of when I did this).

I can't wait for the ARTPOP pre release hype ;_; I can't wait to be perched on iTunes waiting to buy the album. I hope it doesn't leak so the entire planet is baptized at the same moment and it all feels official.

Sis the ARTPOP hype window will be so intense. Even friends who actively don't like her are excited for it. I hope she pulls off the era well; so many people I know thought she just dropped off the face of the earth after releasing the "Born This Way" single. RIP

Fey

Banned
I still remember waking up at like 3-4am to listen to born this way. i was in like 5 different chatrooms, every site with a large gaga fanbase was in and out of crashing.

i want that experience again, listening to a song/album with the rest of the world. except with a song that's actually worth it ;___;

botty

Banned
I think I Am... Sasha Fierce is the biggest push of her music boundaries, since the first half is almost entirely folk-acoustic. It's the only album of hers where the the first half (which, by her definition, is its own album) could almost not even be considered R&B, which was the furthest she went from her archetype.

I found b'Day to be Beyonce's most experimental sound. I mean, I had just listened to Back to Basics... which was a groundbreaking piece of work, but not necessarily my cup of tea. Then a few weeks later, Beyonce dropped B'day and I completely blown away by the sound. Funk, hip hop, and ratchetness all combined flawlessly. I think it really kind of comes down to personal taste with B'day vs I am.... I can see why I Am... would be a big push for her, as the music on there is very distinct, and pushes her in multiple directions. B'day on the other hand just pushes her in a narrower direction, but the sound is more focused.

I found b'Day to be Beyonce's most experimental sound. I mean, I had just listened to Back to Basics... which was a groundbreaking piece of work, but not necessarily my cup of tea. Then a few weeks later, Beyonce dropped B'day and I completely blown away by the sound. Funk, hip hop, and ratchetness all combined flawlessly. I think it really kind of comes down to personal taste with B'day vs I am.... I can see why I Am... would be a big push for her, as the music on there is very distinct, and pushes her in multiple directions. B'day on the other hand just pushes her in a narrower direction, but the sound is more focused.

I agree that B'Day is a lot more focused (I Am... Sasha Fierce's whole concept is literally about not being a focused sound) and I do think that as a body of work B'Day is much more concise, cohesive and appealing. I think B'Day is an album whose quality was exacerbated by context though. I think after Dangerously in Love came and left, B'Day was the perfect successor that elevated her artistry in a way that only made sense if Dangerously In Love came before it. In other words, if B'Day came out after I Am... or even 4 I don't think it would have nearly the same impact. Much like FutureSex/LoveSounds and The Fame Monster, I think B'Day is something that elevated the artist in a way that transcended the actual quality of the album. It's hard for me to say that B'Day, TFM or FS/LS are their respective artists' best albums because I don't believe that's the case, however I put a lot more credence in those albums because they single-handedly put the artist we recognize today on the map, and because of it that work will always define them. Before B'Day Beyonce was just an Ashanti alternate; before The Fame Monster Lady Gaga was just a shallow pop tart; and before Futuresex/Lovesounds Justin was just an annexed boy-bander. Hell, you can also throw Stripped into that equation too. Point is those albums were big moments in time and the fact that they were so critical in shaping our modern artists is the reason I think we so instantly gravitate toward them, regardless of how the albums actually stack up to their artists' superior albums.

I still remember waking up at like 3-4am to listen to born this way. i was in like 5 different chatrooms, every site with a large gaga fanbase was in and out of crashing.

i want that experience again, listening to a song/album with the rest of the world. except with a song that's actually worth it ;___;

That will always be the most epic musical moment for me. I wasn't even on the chatrooms, I was just giddy in my bed at 4 am with the lights off waiting to hear her voice, and when it finally happened I think it was one of my happiest moments honestly. It was one of the few times in my life where I had amassed all this hype for something so inconsequential in context but the material still managed to blow me away handily. I'll always have that soft spot for Born This Way because of that night. <3

Artemisia

Banned
http://pitchfork.com/news/49992-the...s-album-features-two-new-songs-and-aap-rocky/

Jessie Ware announced that she had signed a U.S. deal with Cherrytree Records last October, the first product of which was the 110% EP. The label has now announced that they will release Ware's debut, Devotion (released last August in the U.K. and Europe) on April 16 via Interscope. The release will feature two new songs: "Imagine it Was Us", and a remix of "Wildest Moments" featuring A$AP Rocky.

b7jrpixbuqc.jpg

royalan

I'm here for Latoya-GAF. It's time the Cammie Banner was removed from the OT anyway.

iboyJrJ8MEK8RS.gif

The OP will be updated sometime tonight or in the morning, depending on if I can get off work early enough to pick up my laptop. *.*

The next banner is Gaga themed. *.*

Pusher Love Girl
BQoZwB8.gif

Suit & Tie
BQoZwB8.gif

Don't Hold The Wall
BQoZwB8.gif

Strawberry Bubblegum
BQoZwB8.gif

Tunnel Vision
BQoZwB8.gif

Spaceship Coupe
BQoZwB8.gif

That Girl
BQoZwB8.gif

Let The Groove Get In
BQoZwB8.gif

Mirrors
BQoZwB8.gif

Blue Ocean Floor
BQoZwB8.gif

Dress On
BQoZwB8.gif

Body Count
BQoZwB8.gif

By the way, every time Femme Fatale is mentioned I can't help but remember that one time in the lead up to the release when Dr. Luke was hinting at Inside Out by tweeting this Beat Battle.

Inside Out comes at 4:30, but the beat I desperately wanted from this session is the one that starts at 1:15. LORDT, IT STILL SHITS SO HARD.

Oh yes, awesome that you dug that video up. I so vividly remember thinking "holy shit, these beats are gonna be on the next Britney album?!"

Like you say, the fact that the beat at 1.15 wasn't used is a crime against humanity. In the beginning it even sounds like Britney is saying something over it. But the beat from inside out remains legendary as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom