• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
lol unless i'm looking at outdated predictions, did no one predict 500k flat?

thank god i updated mine to 550k from 250k.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Left my prediction at 430000, definitely seems to low atm
Also waffles, I think last time you posted the chart you had my artpop ad 71k, can you add another zero on please?

Trigger

Supermanisdead
Would let dj otzi it
(Today, 04:51 PM)
tzi24njat.png

Please make it happen mods!

I made an adjustment to the rules regarding which sales tallies we will use (Billboard gets final say), and putting in place a tiebreaker clause.

Rules/Procedures:
1. Make your predictions before the first single of the album is released (excluding JT or other surprise releases). I choose the cutoff dates and may be flexible depending on the circumstances at my discretion.
2. You may change your predictions by posting in popgaf or by PM. If banned you can use Plug/ATRL/Last.fm
3. I will include NO MORE than 8 albums total in the predictions contest. I choose which albums are included.
4. Your two worst predictions (or two albums that you fail to provide predictions for) will be dropped.
5. Winners will be determined by what percentage off of the actual sales the predictions are. (A prediction of 150k where the actual sales are 200k would be off by 25%)
6. We will be going off the official Billboard/HDD tallies. Billboard will get priority.
7. In the case of a tie on an individual round the win will go to whoever is closest on the next album release.
8. I reserve the right to adjust rules as needed.

Prizes:
1st Place: $20 Amazon/Itunes Gift Card
2nd Place: $10 Amazon/Itunes Gift Card
Winner of each round: $5 Amazon Gift Card

+ bragging rights of course.

Here is the link to the most current predictions!

Left my prediction at 430000, definitely seems to low atm
Also waffles, I think last time you posted the chart you had my artpop ad 71k, can you add another zero on please?

Oops. Fixed.

Here are how the predictions stand now.

I still could see JT opening anywhere from 400k-650k. So it is still wide open imo.

0CODN1q.png

royalan

The 24/7 Experience is truly disgusting.

I don't have a problem with the length 'cause I can listen to Pink Floydsus 20+ minutes tracks all day long.

It's just so damn boring.

ioQMgpPIZcRG4.gif

Precisely this.

I don't think anybody in here is criticizing the length of the 20/20 tracks because "LOL PopGAF only has a short attention span and if it's not a 2 minute dance song they don't get it LOL!"

The criticism is always that, if you're going to have extended tracks, especially 8 of them on a single damn album, then there needs to be a damn good reason for It. How does it enhance or expound upon the theme of the song? What does the beat switch add? Believe it or not, a lot of Pop enthusiasts give a shit about that.

Said it before, but Jill Scott's "Le Boom Vent Suite" is a good example of an extended track done right. It starts off as a bouncy hip-hop/jazz track with Jill rap-singing about an unrequited love. The tone is resentful, almost angry, as she goes over all the ways she's perfect for him and he just doesn't notice. Then,midway through, Jill shifts into her signature spoken word and the production slows down. Before you realize it, we've gone from bouncy urban to sultry jazz, with Jill seductively cooing her love to her would-be man. Resentment has become a plea. Complete tonal and thematic shift, and the production moves seamlessly from the studio to the jazz hall.

Another example of the extended track done right is, and don't hurt me Botty, Frank Ocean's "Pyramids". A perfect bait-and-switch thematically, and the only track of his worth listening to.

In comparison, JTs tracks are just overlong testaments to shallow overindulgence and an ego that cannot be contained. Outros that are nothing but incomplete thoughts - uninteresting in their own right and doing nothing to service the songs they're tacked on to. I mean, with Pusher Love Girl - a song that's ALREADY nothing but a mashup of tired "my lover is kinda like a drug" metaphors (because THAT theme hasn't been done in Pop 17473628374728266 times before in the last 3 years), did we REALLY need another 4 minutes of a 10 second beat loop with Justin stuffing even MORE addiction metaphors down our throats?

And did we really need those extra minutes of JT repeating how much he 'loves his lover' on Mirrors, a song that's already overwrought with love proclamations aimed at his wife? "You are the love of my life You are the love of my life You are the live of my life..." We get it, JT.

At the end of the day, a lot of these JT tracks are long for no damn reason, and that's why they get slammed. I mean, the best thing I can say about SOME of them is "eh, I guess the beat switch is kinda hot." But that's not enough - especially if were discussing potential AOTY like everyone on the OT thread is. Too much of 20/20 is simply unnecessary.

But I'm not surprised it's getting praised. And it's telling that most of the people who love 20/20 in OT thread are people who generally hate on Pop music. Their contempt of the genre has bred ignorance of it, which means they'll swallow any Pop trinket that comes wrapped in a dudebro package they can relate to.

For most of PopGAF, the standards are simply higheR.

But I'm not surprised it's getting praised. And it's telling that most of the people who love 20/20 in OT thread are people who generally hate on Pop music. Their contempt of the genre has bred ignorance of it, which means they'll swallow any Pop trinket that comes wrapped in a dudebro package they can relate to.

imQxTEcc2yVs6.GIF

tumblr_mbd81mEs4A1rghpyfo1_250.gif

Tell them sis

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This thread just went over a cliff. That's some next level foolishness.

20/20 : Dudebro pop

Take 100 seats.

The dudebro bit may have been overkill, but the overall point is very legit.

It's absurd that people who don't even like pop music feel the need to make claims about what a good POP album 20/20 is.....

MThanded

The dudebro bit may have been overkill, but the overall point is very legit.

It's absurd that people who don't even like pop music feel the need to make claims about what a good POP album 20/20 is.....
JT has always been a successful crossover artist though. This is nothing new. Ridiculous amount of love from the urban stations even back in the day.

This thread just went over a cliff. That's some next level foolishness.

20/20 : Dudebro pop

Take 100 seats.
If you actually read what she saidT, you'd realize the "dudebro" characterization described the hilariously self-conscious audience, not the music itself. I'd bet you my left vagina that the majority of the people in that thread wouldn't give the album the time of day if it came from Beyonce or one of the main pop girls.

They're lured in by the GQ wannabe persona and the fact that he's plonking OT-enshrined Jessica Biel on a daily basis, not the music. And I know this because my bullshit detector is flaw-free.

Trigger

JT's ability to sell his album to people who have written off pop is a strength, not a weakness.

waiT

If you actually read what she saidT, you'd realize the characterization described the hilariously self-conscious audience, not the music itself. I'd bet you my left vagina that the majority of the people in that thread wouldn't give the album the time of day if it came from Beyonce or one of the main pop girls.

They're lured in by the GQ wannabe persona, not the music. And I know this because my bullshit detector is flaw-free.

nnnnn

sek2ldf.gif

MThanded

If you actually read what she saidT, you'd realize the "dudebro" characterization described the hilariously self-conscious audience, not the music itself. I'd bet you my left vagina that the majority of the people in that thread wouldn't give the album the time of day if it came from Beyonce or one of the main pop girls.

They're lured in by the GQ wannabe persona and the fact that he's plonking OT-enshrined Jessica Biel on a daily basis, not the music. And I know this because my bullshit detector is flaw-free.

I listen to a ridiculous amount of pop. Stop putting me in a box. Pretty sure I own almost all of the big pop albums from last year. You popgaf fools better chill.

JT's ability to sell his album to people who have written off pop is a strength, not a weakness.

I personally never said it was a weakness.

It is the misguided claims of it's quality as a POP album that I take issue with. As a pop record it is giant turd of a release.

Maybe it's a good R&B album? I don't know, but it certainly is not both.

Fey

Banned

But pop SHOULDN'T be written off. The people who write off pop music likely don't even listen to pop music, and now they're acting like it's been revitalized. But if 20/20 was made by anyone else (particularly a female), it likely would be added to the pile of quality (or ... at least acceptable) pop music they already ignore.

MThanded

The self persecution complex in here is strong. Why are people mad that other people like an album? lol

MThanded

Same nonsense when frank ocean album was highly lauded.

I'm not here to say its better than anyone elses album. It's a good album. I'm also not here to put it in a genre box.

I like a lot of music. Love the LDR album, love me some mariah(emancipation is my favorite of hers),i enjoy some beyonce, fan of early gaga. Jessie Ware is quality too. Not down with recent wacktina though.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you does not make them misinformed. When music reviewing becomes objective ride your high horse over here and hit me up.

Trigger

But pop SHOULDN'T be written off. The people who write off pop music likely don't even listen to pop music, and now they're acting like it's been revitalized. But if 20/20 was made by anyone else (particularly a female), it likely would be added to the pile of quality (or ... at least acceptable) pop music they already ignore.

This is true.

Artemisia

Banned
I like a lot of music. Love the LDR album, love me some mariah and i enjoy some beyonce. Jessie Ware is quality too. Not down with recent wacktina though.

That's perfectly ok.

what point is being driven at is this

Fey said:
But if 20/20 was made by anyone else (particularly a female), it likely would be added to the pile of quality (or ... at least acceptable) pop music they already ignore.

MThanded

That's perfectly ok.

what point is being driven at is this
Yes that is a fact. A lot of pop artists have no crossover appeal. None of my buddies are listening to LDR. JT will sell a crapload because of this.

Has nothing to do with him being male and everything to do with him being Justin Timberlake.

Yes that is a fact. A lot of pop artists have no crossover appeal. None of my buddies are listening to LDR. JT will sell a crapload because of this.

Having people reject them BECAUSE they are pop is not the same thing as not having cross genre appeal.

There are actually only a handful of active pop artists today that don't have at least one other genre that they have a significant impact in.

MThanded

Having people reject them BECAUSE they are pop is not the same thing as not having cross genre appeal.

There are actually only a handful of active pop artists today that don't have at least one other genre that they have a significant impact in.
Who is going to the store saying" oh this is in the pop genre I am not buying this" . People buy what they want to hear or from artists they like.

I have never heard of this pop rejection theory before. I must be misinformed. I don't but music by genre. Personally I buy what I like to here. Pop, Classical, R and B, Folk etc. I don't care what box it's in. If I like the way it sounds I'll buy it.

Who is going to the store saying" oh this is in the pop genre I am not buying this" . People buy what they want to hear or from artists they like.

Srs tho? People use "pop" as a pejorative all the time.

Yup.

If I thought they ever gave the pop genre a chance I could be nicer to them, however, my impression is that they write it off before even REALLY listening to it to decide whether it is for them or not. They just label it "pop" and walk away regardless of quality.

What they do is that they listen to a pop artist and *gasp* actually like it? That's not pop, that's R&B. That's not pop, that's electronic. That's not pop, that's folk. Etc.

MThanded

Srs tho? People use "pop" as a pejorative all the time.
I only hear that from rap heads mostly. People put drake in the pop box and he sells a bunch. It's usually used for people who sell a lot more than the people in that genre usually do. It's the new sellout and it's tired.

Personally I think pop transcends any one genre. That's just me. By definition this seems to make the most sense in my mind.

People who write off music because it's pop have their own personal issues. However, I am not one of those people and I still think 20/20 is a great album. So just dont put me in that box because I know some of yall are quick to do that. Lets not get it twisted.

I only hear that from rap heads mostly. People put drake in the pop box and he sells a bunch. It's usually used for people who sell a lot more than the people in that genre usually do. It's the new sellout and it's tired.

Personally I think pop transcends any one genre. That's just me. By definition this seems to make the most sense in my mind.

People who write off music because it's pop have their own personal issues. However, I am not one of those people and I still think 20/20 is a great album. So just dont put me in that box because I know some of yall are quick to do that.
I agree, and these lashings aren't directed at yew. I just have a lot of feelings okay

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Let's not act as if some of us don't use the OT's dislike of pop to shade other artist aka Beyonce and Xtina

And sometimes Britney

royalan

I just got hit with a funny thought.

Considering her work with Elijah Blake, one of R&B's buzzingest up-and-comers, there's a real chance that BRITNEY JEAN SPEARS will have a fresher, more forward-thinking Pop/R&B album than Justin!

Ha! That's rich.

I just got hit with a funny thought.

Considering her work with Elijah Blake, one of R&B's buzzingest up-and-comers, there's a real chance that BRITNEY JEAN SPEARS will have a fresher, more forward-thinking Pop/R&B album than Justin!

Ha! That's rich.
You mean to say it'll be just like 2006/07 all over again?
ibfYqg6fbwldCH.gif

Let's not act as if some of us don't use the OT's dislike of pop to shade other artist aka Beyonce and Xtina

And sometimes Britney

Eh, I don't think we use their dislike of "pop" as much as their dislike of celebrities in general.

Everyone likes to see the mighty fall.

Clear Channel stations are playing 20/20 album tracks on the air throughout the day today. My station here in Dallas played Strawberry Bubblegum and the DJ sounded so annoyed that he had to play it and then he complained about JT being an hour late for an interview.
ibjdpSpFV24GkF.gif

At least we know where RCA is spending their ever dwindling pile of coins
ibjdpSpFV24GkF.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Payola for ALBUM tracks!?

What is this? Why even bother. Unless they are just searching for what tests well as the next single, which is just ridiculous

On an unrelated note.... If any of you do economics and feel like doing the coursework I have thats due tomorrow, I will be accepting submissions all night.

i9MuHgeVOKW3r.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom