• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis_

The absolutely immaculate pop music compendium LOUD remains unbothered and is percheD at the #1 position, however.

tumblr_lrvtqpuFGW1qewmu6o1_r2_500_large.gif

botty

Banned

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Lawd that video is from august last year

What voodoo did you do to dig that up

iw3S5blx7MKqd.gif

Partition

Banned
WuwSR.gif
That new St!nk song is jusT vile
WuwSR.gif

WuwSR.gif
I can't even with how she ripped the melody to one of my fave songs, Mad World
WuwSR.gif

WuwSR.gif
How does she get away with making the same album over and over idgi
WuwSR.gif

royalan

Ariana Grande is a pretty damn good singer, and has probably the best cover of one of Mariah's most impressive vocal showcases, Emotions.

That being said, she's no Mimi, so I'm gonna need her to find her own lane before I take her seriously.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Ariana Grande is a pretty damn good singer, and has probably the best cover of one of Mariah's most impressive vocal showcases, Emotions.

That being said, she's no Mimi, so I'm gonna need her to find her own lane before I take her seriously.

Lack of Identity and bad decisions. We've seen great voices go through those issues before.

Fey

Banned
Just saw the nominations. My competition is fiercÉ
iqXYJgb.gif

A bit pressed koodo's samus/britney avatar didn't make it in tho

iPbenAXHDw8in.gif

royalan

don't know why xtina gets so much poor shade from 'authentic artists.' like her voice isnt even generic or whatever they try to argue.

Because she's The Voice of Our Generation. So whenever some asshole wants to sound like they have a critical opinion without actually doing the work to have a critical opinion, they just slam her. Because she's Christina Aguilera - obviously everyone knows she sucks, right? See also: Avril Levigne.

But, luckily, this is Dave Grohl - and for merely being that person he needs to have several seats.

Partition

Banned
Did he lie though? Pop music in the last 2 or 3 years has all sounded very similar, the quality has gone so downhill (esp when Gaga isn't making music lbr)

How many songs with dance breakdowns have been on the radio in the Top 10 lately? It doesn't help that most of pop's leading ladies only want to make easily consumable & basic music. Even though they are different voices, it all tends to sound the same.

Did he lie though? Pop music in the last 2 or 3 years has all sounded very similar, the quality has gone so downhill (esp when Gaga isn't making music lbr)

How many songs with dance breakdowns have been on the radio in the Top 10 lately? It doesn't help that most of pop's leading ladies only want to make easily consumable & basic music. Even though they are different voices, it all tends to sound the same.

Nothing in this post is even true though.

5 years from now people will be talking about how bad music is compared to 5 years before, then in 10 years, then in 15.

It is the complaining that is getting redundant. Not the music.

Servbot24

Banned

Sure, if you only listen to the same 5 artists this thread is always going on about
And there's nothing unique about Gaga

Fey

Banned
Nothing in this post is even true though.

5 years from now people will be talking about how bad music is compared to 5 years before, then in 10 years, then in 15.

It is the complaining that is getting redundant. Not the music.

Yeah, I agree with this. We're complaining about music now, but in 10 years, we'll be praising the music of the early 2010s and complaining about how shit music has become in the 2020s.

Artemisia

Banned
i can understand the criticism but why does he randomly shade xtina

I agree with the part where he implies that these talent shows are very limited in the artists they produce. Very rarely do you get someone unique; from the start the judges are comparing them to other big names in the industry. Having the contestants singing covers on the show doesn't help much either in portraying them as something new.

But I don't think you need to be talented to spot talent. How many recording artists are found by execs that aren't artists or musicians?

Servbot24

Banned
Yeah, I agree with this. We're complaining about music now, but in 10 years, we'll be praising the music of the early 2010s and complaining about how shit music has become in the 2020s.

Honestly if you're complaining about music now you're being willfully ignorant.
There is SO MUCH music being made in nearly every genre, new genres sprout up on a daily basis. It is literally impossible to not have an exciting new CD to listen to.

Unless you're speaking only in terms of top 40. Then I would say it's basically always been this bad.

royalan

He's not wrong if we apply his words to the pathetic state of Top 40. But he's wrong in trying to tie Xtina into that. Heck, until Lotus, Xtina based her career on working with lesser-known producers specifically to avoid the very thing he's complaining about.

Then again, the Queen has a lot of imitators, so if that's what he means then he's absolutely right.

Sure, if you only listen to the same 5 artists this thread is always going on about
And there's nothing unique about Gaga

We've talked about a ton of non-mainstream pop acts in just that last few pages. Check ya self, son.

Artemisia

Banned
Music now 'sucks' because we are in the moment and have to hear about the artists we don't like on a daily basis. We don't have the luxury to look back and filter out all the shit we hated and focus on what we enjoyed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom