• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've talked about a ton of non-mainstream pop acts in just that last few pages. Check ya self, son.

ClockeD

Serv has been such a flop lately. When he talks about popgaf it seems he is talking to the hypothetical popgaf he has invented in his head rather than the real one.

Servbot24

Banned
We've talked about a ton of non-mainstream pop acts in just that last few pages. Check ya self, son.

Yeah m8, I've been right there.

Obviously I'm poking fun at the thread, I'll have to step up my boarding game and include the appropriate gif next time.

tumblr_inline_mjq3x5ywze1qz4rgp.gif

royalan

ClockeD

Serv has been such a flop lately. When he talks about popgaf it seems he is talking to the hypothetical popgaf he has invented in his head rather than the real one.

That's pretty much what everyone does.

None of the "opinionated" haters actually READ the thread. They take their preconceived notions about the "manufactured shallowness" of Pop music in general, apply it to PopGAF, and call it a day.

It's lazy, but on a forum composed of mostly straight male gamers with more complexes than an Olympic village, it's incredibly effective.

Servbot24

Banned
media.tumblr = never appropriate. get it together, servbot!

i'm just a bumbling failure today :(

that said it makes plenty of sense. this thread does tend to spend most its time stanning/shading the same few artists, which is what i was lightheartedly commenting on. cuz i sometimes do that too.

Fey

Banned
Honestly if you're complaining about music now you're being willfully ignorant.
There is SO MUCH music being made in nearly every genre, new genres sprout up on a daily basis. It is literally impossible to not have an exciting new CD to listen to.

Unless you're speaking only in terms of top 40. Then I would say it's basically always been this bad.

I don't think top 40 has really changed, either, in terms of quality. The dance breakdown stuff is just what's popular/the fad these days. It'll go out soon enough.

We're already moving away from it, too. Look at the three biggest hits in 2012 - not a single one of them encompasses the dance trend.

I don't think top 40 has really changed, either, in terms of quality. The dance breakdown stuff is just what's popular/the fad these days. It'll go out soon enough.

We're already moving away from it, too. Look at the three biggest hits on 2012 - not a single one of them encompasses the dance trend.

Mhm.

I am actually excited to see where it goes next. Could we see a resurgence of urban like in 2004 (lets not), or a turn back to pop rock/alternative?

Artemisia

Banned
That's pretty much what everyone does.

None of the "opinionated" haters actually READ the thread. They take their preconceived notions about the "manufactured shallowness" of Pop music in general, apply it to PopGAF, and call it a day.

It's lazy, but on a forum composed of mostly straight male gamers with more complexes than an Olympic village, it's incredibly effective.

gurl

23tihjm3dezs.gif

don't hold back

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Despite the new banner being a disgusting and unjust shade of my fave, I actually quite like it

cory64

Maybe a little. 2004 was hella boring though. 52/52 of the #1's that year were urban. Probably the most boring and least diverse era in mainstream music history.

half of those #1s are real classics tho
I can't stand the type of pop-rock/alt that radio likes.

Fey

Banned
whoa The Way moved up fast. O_O

listening to the song now, have no idea who ariana grande is though ...

lol got major triumphant teas in the beginning ... what a bland song, pass.

royalan

i'm just a bumbling failure today :(

that said it makes plenty of sense. this thread does tend to spend most its time stanning/shading the same few artists, which is what i was lightheartedly commenting on. cuz i sometimes do that too.

You know, as much as we pile on people who claim we only talk about the same handful of artists in here, you're really NOT wrong.

I think you guys just miss the important context when you make that claim.

The fact is there are a lot of BIG names in Pop music - acts that sell millions upon millions of records. Heck, even our flop artists sell more than some popular artists in other genres. And when BIG pop acts aren't doing anything music-related, they are ALWAYS in the media promoting something or causing some scandal. It's the nature of the Pop game. Here in PopGAF we spend a fair enough time talking about interesting indie or smaller acts, but sometimes it IS going to seem like we spend a lot of time talking about the same handful of people, the BIG names, because its those people who are giving us the most to talk about.

I mean, the boys over at GAFHOP have an impressive level of discussion when I comes to smaller Hip Hop acts. But let Jay-Z, Nas, or Kanye do something (or whoever the big up-and-comer of the moment is) an the discussion increases. It's the same thing. Pop just has bigger names.

Mhm.

I am actually excited to see where it goes next. Could we see a resurgence of urban like in 2004 (lets not), or a turn back to pop rock/alternative?

I DO want a stronger urban resurgence on Top 40. But not 2004 urban. Give me mid-90s urban influences. Back before the European influences settled in and R&B and Pop were almost the same thing.

cory64

I DO want a stronger urban resurgence on Top 40. But not 2004 urban. Give me mid-90s urban influences. Back before the European influences settled in and R&B and Pop were almost the same thing.

That could work too. Hell, that's becoming the predominant genre of indie-pop right now (mashed up with weird shit).

half of those #1s are real classics tho
I can't stand the type of pop-rock/alt that radio likes.

Well I assume it won't be the same as it was when it was huge last decade. Same goes for urban.... so maybe it will be good.

I prefer just plain old pop myself.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Yas at Ariana punchinG!

The song shits. It's a new song by a relatively unknown artist. Bless her for clocking some success on iTunes

whoa The Way moved up fast. O_O

listening to the song now, have no idea who ariana grande is though ...

lol got major triumphant teas in the beginning ... what a bland song, pass.

Yeah, it is fairly generic.

She is young though. I will give her a chance.

Fey

Banned
ohh it's that girl? she's the only thing i remember from the one time i watched victorious apart from victoria justice.

Off topic, but I thought I would post this since I know there are fans here.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-good-wife-20130313,0,7997685.story

CBS' acclaimed legal drama "The Good Wife" will have multiple partners in syndication.

Reruns of the Sunday night program, which stars Julianna Margulies, have been sold by CBS to Amazon's Prime Instant Video platform as well as the Hallmark Channel and local TV stations. Hulu Plus, the subscription arm of the online video service, will also get episodes as part of a previous deal with CBS.

The unique agreement could mean an even longer life on CBS for "The Good Wife," which wraps up its fourth season next month.

"The Good Wife" is serialized and typically a procedural is worth more in syndication.

But serialized dramas such as "The Good Wife" have proved to be popular among users of online subscription services such as Netflix and Amazon, both of which have shown a big appetite for them. Netflix, for example, paid about $800,000 per episode for rights to AMC's "Mad Men."

Prime Instant will get first crack at the show, with episodes from the first three seasons being made available this week.

The rerun sale of "The Good Wife" will likely guarantee that the show will return for a fifth season this fall, and it could even lead to additional seasons beyond that.

royalan

This is her first time going to Japan. If she ends up loving it, I wonder if she will try to live out there. ;___;

I feel like she's doing this for Matt. Just like she only went to that Samsung event to get Matt a free Galaxy S. Something about Matt screams "Otaku" to me.

His dick better be on some next level shit, because he's completely useless otherwise.

PowderedToast

as the only known 80s stan on popgaf, i stumbled on some erasure remixes that are so revelatory that right is now left and left is right the rules have completely changed having become victim of such slayage

------ i am floating through a sonically orgasmic heaven comprised of my greatest dreams and desires of my childhood past and a future that has yet to exist

i see the face of our existence, and it stares back. i am humbled

~fin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom