• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

In honor of Pitbull and The Queen's entrance into the Top 10 this week, I have a confession to make.

I STAN PITBULL

Well, not quite. I USED to stan Pitbull.

The comparisons to Flo-Rida's vapid catalog and lack of integrity may be accurate now, but this wasn't always the case. Whereas Flo-Rida's quality took a nosedive pretty much right after his first taste of success with "Get Low," Pitbull spent a sizeable chunk of his early career as a provider of legitimate Latin-spiced Urban B O P S that would set your pussy to UNCONTROLLABLE POP. Back then he was considered the Latin Uncle Luke, in that if you were in a club when one of his songs came on, there was NO WAY you weren't about to break into a sweat putting in that WORK.

So, with that said, a TRIBUTE to Old (and BEST) Pitbull. CULO!!!

OHPbClc.jpg

Roy...

This post....!!

iQ9LxsNk2L1hD.gif

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Oh, so y'all gonna pretend like y'all didn't use any of Pitbull's early singles?

IC
right thru you all
The only song I ever liked with him was that admittedly bad song he did with Janet Jackson. And that's mostly because I love her.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh that was whoever this Daddy Yankee character is.

Let me stan, that shit is a bop even though I can barely understand the song.

And if that isn't PitBull's song then he's worthless.

royalan

Y'all are surprising me, sistren. ;___;

Nobody I know IRL takes Pitbull seriously now...but EVERYONE I know used him back in 04-06ish. Some of his bops from back then still make it onto my dance/exercise playlists.

The man had some hot club beats. ;___;

Songs About Jane was flawfree. Harder to Breath, Sunday Morning, Must Get Out, This Love...

When will they ever again. That album is still on heavy rotation.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
"Moves like Jagger" would have been a great song if the person they featured on the track didn't suck.
I don't think that song would have gotten to #1 without her tbh.

And if I remember correctly, your beloved RihRih couldn't help them get a #1 a few years earlier...

DMeisterJ

Banned
I don't think that song would have gotten to #1 without her tbh.

And if I remember correctly, your beloved RihRih couldn't help them get a #1 a few years earlier...

Well there's only so much power Rihanna has. She's too busy clocking her own #1 singles tbh.

All 3 of them that she had at the time. LEGEND.

Drag her all you want for other things, but Christina wasn't bad on "Moves Like Jagger."

Lol honestly. I didn't even realize that there WAS a collaboration to that song until I joined popgaf. (Though I will admit I hated the song so I rarely listened) I don't think Xtina had much, if anything, to do with its success.

On the other hand she is damn flawless in Feel This Moment and the song would have been horrid without her.

Koodo

Banned
I'm pretty sure even Jessie J could have done the chorus in Feel This Moment.

The song would probably be in the TOP 5 by now, too.

#oops

Everyone has their thing I suppose. There are worse acts to stan for than Maroon 5
I think....

Their music has just been really bad the last few years imo.

I haven't heard a single track from Overexposed since it dropped, nor have I heard anything good from people I know. Doesn't seem like a good sign...

EDIT: "Moves Like Jagger" was sickeningly catchy and I always felt embarrassed to tap my toes to it.

I'm pretty sure even Jessie J could have done the chorus in Feel This Moment.

The song would probably be in the TOP 5 by now, too.

I like Jessie J, but I don't think so.

Xtina's tone works really well in that song.

I haven't heard a single track from Overexposed sicne it dropped, nor have I heard anything good from people I know. Doesn't seem like a good sign...

Which explains how you still stan them lol.

Icicle

The only song I ever liked with him was that admittedly bad song he did with Janet Jackson. And that's mostly because I love her.

Was it actually bad? It wasn't a home run, I know that. I think if the intro (Pitbull's part) was shorter or placed later in the song, it would have done a lot to improve the song. That said, I think if the song had actually been released, it could have actually done something for her; Pitbull was probably at his peak in early 2010 when the song surfaced. Vocally, lyrically, thematically, the song is nothing to write home about, but the Soca sound is something new for Janet and mainstream music in general.

P.S. Were you serious about reviewing all of Janet's albums? I would totally be interested in doing that with you, if you're interested.

DWhNK5n.jpg

They used to be so good.

iv8zKJmWi45nY.gif

One of my favorite albums of all time. So cohesive. Listened to this nearly every day on the way to school for several months in high school.

On their next album, "It Won't Be Soon Before Long" I used the singles and a couple other tracks, skipping the others.

From "Hands All Over", I could only get into "Misery", "Give a Little More", and "Moves Like Jagger".

Their most recent album/songs have been so unappealing to me, such that I will change the station when their songs come on now.

It's tragic when a musician/band that used to slay me now just makes me cringe (P!nk is another example of this). That said, as much as I may dislike their current output, I am still able to enjoy their old stuff.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Was it actually bad? It wasn't a home run, I know that. I think if the intro (Pitbull's part) was shorter or placed later in the song, it would have done a lot to improve the song. That said, I think if the song had actually been released, it could have actually done something for her; Pitbull was probably at his peak in early 2010 when the song surfaced. Vocally, lyrically, thematically, the song is nothing to write home about, but the Soca sound is something new for Janet and mainstream music in general.
First lesson about me: I exaggerate a lot. ;)

I think parts of it were very interesting. I also think some of it was too repetitive. And yeah...that intro. Meh. The sound certainly worked for her though. There were parts of that track that I absolutely love. There are also parts that I could have done without or wanted more from.

I do agree that I think it could have done something for her.

P.S. Were you serious about reviewing all of Janet's albums? I would totally be interested in doing that with you, if you're interested.
Yes and no.

Yes in that 1.) I think it would be fun and 2.) I think that there is a serious lack of Janet appreciation in PopGAF. A history lesson with review elements could be great. It would be awesome to do 10 synopsis/reviews (one per album per week) if others would actually be interested in reading them and maybe listening to each album along with us.

No in that I have this week off from work, so I could get started on it. Once I go back though, I know it's all going to fall by the wayside. I actually put together a general format and started a review for Janet Jackson earlier, but I didn't finish.

PM me with your thoughts maybe.

PowderedToast

waiting is the hardest thing
i tell myself that if i believe in you
in the dream of you
with all my heart and all my soul
that by sheer force of will
i will raise you from the ground
and without a sound you'll appear
and surrender to me
to love

tumblr_mdea0wZ5dR1r4fafeo1_250.gif