• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

When Arte's right, she's right. The indies (and kpop) are why I loved pop so much for the last couple of years. Kind of bummed that even most of the fringe-dwellers are flatlining this year. There's always one shining bastion of hope, though:

Sweden-240-animated-flag-gifs.gif

Yep, all hail the best country for pop. Do you like Loreen?

cory64

Rihanna said:
It's only March people... #2013isalreadyowned #staytuned #MoneyOvaBitchez instagram.com/p/XdFqifhMyX/

http://www.4music.com/galleries/710/The-Pop-Powerlist-Top-50-in-pictures/13340

Rihanna has not yet amassed the net worth of some of the longer established superstars of the music industry such as Madonna, but with her fan value riding high, this good girl gone bad looks set to be scaling the heights of The Pop Powerlist for many years to come.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
I was waiting for someone to post that vile list.
I apologise on behalf of my countrymen.

Icicle

you'll find that most of the time, the irrelevants actually deliver and the big girls don't

51rlTSv.png

Disagree. This has everything to do with confirmation bias. When an irrelevant delivers, she gets attention and people take notice. When she doesn't, she continues to linger in her irrelevancy.

When a "big" girls fails to deliver, she gets clockedt by reviews, opinionated forum-goers, and social media. When she succeeds, she's merely performing to expectations.

Ties

Banned
I was waiting for someone to post that vile list.
I apologise on behalf of my countrymen.
Rihanna is currently dominating with a ballad driven by a minimalistic piano centric production on the radio and on iTunes. That is unheard of in this day and age unless you're Adele, so her star power cannot be denied any longer. It's like I found a time machine and went back in time to when Diamonds was first released and everyone thought it would flop because it wasn't a dance track.

Ya'll pressed hoes will continue to fume at Rihallah's power.

#WeBadYouMad

51rlTSv.png

cory64

It's a pretty weird list, one that has Olly Murs 11 places ahead of Lady Gaga. They do seem to have something of a methodology to it, so idk.

moulels

Disagree. This has everything to do with confirmation bias. When an irrelevant delivers, she gets attention and people take notice. When she doesn't, she just continues to linger in her irrelevancy.

When a "big" girls fails to deliver, she gets clockedt by reviews, opinionated forum-goers, and social media. When she succeeds, she's merely just performing to expectations.

Clock ha back to ubuntu.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Rihanna is currently dominating with a ballad driven by a minimalistic piano centric production on the radio and on iTunes. That is unheard of in this day and age unless you're Adele, so her star power cannot be denied any longer. It's like I found a time machine and went back in time to when Diamonds was first released and everyone thought it would flop because it wasn't a dance track.

Ya'll pressed hoes will continue to fume at Rihallah's power.

#WeBadYouMad

Now wait a minuTe

I did not say I had a problem with Rihnna being on top, in fact at the moment she is. Only big pop girl with an album recently out and just starting at tour among other things earns her that spot.

My problem is with the ones below.
Katy Perry at 4 despite the fact she hasnt released anything in ages.
Justin Biebre at 5 despite the fact the Canadian Fetus is clearly loosing his popularity fast due to hi obnoxious demeanor.
Jay Z at 9 because he had a kid and endorsed something called a powermat (wtf)
And hews, lessers and hasbeens like Olly Murs, Robbie Williams, Jessie J, Will I Am and PLAN B of all people being above the likes of Gaga and Madonna?

No. That list is fucking vile.

iMHi3ez0JSvOC.gif

SaintZ

Epic updated Avril's FB with a cover confirming the release date of "Here's To Never Growing Up". It also says it's gonna be premiering with Ryan Seacrest *.* They also updated a new promo pic.

I C she's trying to take over China with the panda make up teas. Only the Canadian Queen of Pop.

cory64

My Pop Powerlist (for right now):

10. Bruno Mars
9. Justin Bieber
8. Kanye
7. Katy Perry
6. Beyoncé
5. Drake
4. Justin Timberlake
3. Lady Gaga
=. Taylor Swift
1. Rihanna

royalan

Disagree. This has everything to do with confirmation bias. When an irrelevant delivers, she gets attention and people take notice. When she doesn't, she continues to linger in her irrelevancy.

When a "big" girls fails to deliver, she gets clockedt by reviews, opinionated forum-goers, and social media. When she succeeds, she's merely performing to expectations.

True tea.

Fey

Banned

10. Adele
9. Justin Bieber
8. Kanye
7. Katy Perry
6. Beyoncé
5. Drake
4. Justin Timberlake
3. Lady Gaga
=. Taylor Swift
1. Rihanna

i don't want to, but i think this is accurate.

not sure about drake, though. have never really followed him or his music so idk how popular he really is.

Matt_

10. Bruno Mars
9. Justin Bieber
8. Kanye
7. Katy Perry
6. Beyoncé
5. Drake
4. Justin Timberlake
3. Lady Gaga
=. Taylor Swift
1. Rihanna

Why Drake though? I didn't know he'd been that active recently

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Who are your favorites? Perhaps you know some I don't.

I don't have a lot of specific faves -- and it should probably be expanded to Scandinavia as a whole instead of just Sweden -- but mostly the bigger name acts like Robyn, Annie, the Knife/Fever Ray, Sally Shapiro, Johan Agebjorn, Nicolas Makelberge, Karl x Johan, Todd Terje, and so on.

There's a steady stream of fun, often nostalgic pop music coming out of that part of Europe that resonates with me moreso than what other parts of the world produce. Do you read Swede and Sour?

Eh, if a nobody pop girl releases music in the forest and no one is around to hear it... it's still probably a bop and I'll enjoy it regardless of her (lack of) chart status. They tend to try a heck of a lot harder than the big girls, for sure.

botty

Banned
Moving onto global acts...

BGi9IshCMAA8fNW.jpg

Nicki Minaj's next video, High School, will premier on MTV on tuesday...

Nicki Minaj is going back to school. The "American Idol" judge and Young Money first lady will sit down for an interview with MTV on Tuesday (April 2) when she debuts her new collaboration with Lil Wayne, "High School."

The video will premiere at 10:53 a.m. ET, and afterwards Minaj will sit down for an exclusive interview with MTV News during "MTV First: Nicki Minaj" on MTV.com. The single from her Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded - The Re-Up album will also roll out across MTV's 300-plus digital properties across the globe.

"roll out across MTV's 300-plus digital properties across the globe"

iy6WwRMUNgIHn.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Death at you cropping out the places it went #1, and separating the TRU from PFRR.

51rlTSv.png

She only went number 1 in the Canada, Scotland and the UK. A global act shouldn't be charting below 20 in a handful of countries.

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

Even Taylor prior to Max Martin was doing better. And she didn't even have a worldwide hit at that point.

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

Nicki is NOT global. That lie needs to stop.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Nicki is barely local. Has she clocked a #1 hit yet? Has her album scanned platinum yet? Didn't her album + Re-release sell less in one year than Rihanna (the singles artist) did in 18 weeks? Hasn't her stint on AI resulted in the lowest ratings since ever?

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Nicki is barely local. Has she clocked a #1 hit yet? Has her album scanned platinum yet? Didn't her album + Re-release sell less in one year than Rihanna (the singles artist) did in 18 weeks? Hasn't her stint on AI resulted in the lowest ratings since ever?

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

I guess it makes sense why she hasn't embarked on an extended WW tour. It's all about demand and I don't think anyone in management is seeing that for her.

iNNM5i6A33dvi.gif

nnnnnn this tumblr tea

tumblr_mev3kuAA431rsjrs1o1_500.jpg

There's a member here named Call Me Maybe.

When will Bernard?

Icicle

After being encouraged by botty and Arte to check out Elle Varner, I am here to report that I have done my homewerQ.

Listened to her 4 singles from "Perfectly Imperfect". I actually remember "Only Want to Give It To You" and "Refill', which both got played a decent amount on my go-to radio stations. (I love my urban/black stations!)

"Only Want To Give It To You" is a great song with a super catchy chorus, and the video is great too. (I had never seen J. Cole before, didn't know he was ugly.)

"Refill" is good tew, but the violin (?) in the background is kind of grating, imo. I like the idea of it, however, pretty unusual/innovative for an R&B sound.

"I Don't Care" is neck-and-neck with OWTGITY for my favorite song I've heard from her. Beautiful song.

"Oh What A Night" is pretty disposable. The lyrics belie the classy vibe I was getting from her other songs, and the pop sound makes it sound more generic/uninspired.

Thanks for the recommendation, sistren. I like ha and will probably check out more of the album at a later time. That saiD, I stand by my comment about how she hasn't done anything to separate herself from the many talented black female singers out there, as far as getting a mainstream audience to notice her.

Artemisia

Banned
"Refill" is good tew, but the violin (?) in the background is kind of grating, imo. I like the idea of it, however, pretty unusual/innovative for an R&B sound.

I LIVE for the violin/fiddle thing going on in the background. I guess I'm the only one here for it =(

DMeisterJ

Banned
But it didn't lie tho. When was the last culturally impacTful song that Bey had? "Single Ladies"? How very 2008 of her. Rihanna puts out WW smashes on a yearly basis, and Bey hasn't had a WW smash in 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom