• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fey

Banned
'had have' tbh

is2Kdse6oG81a.gif

apart from that little blunder, the pic contains no flaws.

Majmun

But it didn't lie tho. When was the last culturally impacTful song that Bey had? "Single Ladies"? How very 2008 of her. Rihanna puts out WW smashes on a yearly basis, and Bey hasn't had a WW smash in 5 years.

Rih smashes, but she lacks any impact.

I don't think Rih ever had a culturally impactful song such as Crazy in Love, Irreplaceable or Single Ladies.

Umbrella comes close tho. That's one out of the 9894032 singles she has released.

Bladenic

Rih smashes, but she lacks any impact.

I don't think Rih ever had a culturally impactful song such as Crazy in Love, Irreplaceable or Single Ladies.

Umbrella comes close tho. That's one out of the 9894032 singles she has released.

Oh? Let's not pretend Beyonce hasn't released 5+ singles from every single album since B'Day.

And thanks for that link Cosmic. Bookmarked.

cory64

That's one single of the 9894032 she already released.

8 songs were given some promo off of 4. 9 from IA...SF.
I fail to see how Beyoncé hasn't saturated things as much as Rihanna. They're pretty close from B'Day/A Girl Like Me on, especially considering the disparity in album count and the average success level of each artist's songs.

I will admit that Carly Rae Jepsen did have impact on Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

"Don't call me maybe"
581.gif

But hew (other than the denizens of Kanto region) are checking for her? Summer came and went.

Majmun

I'm nowhere denying the huge amount of singles Bey has released. I'm just saying that Bey has more iconic and impactfull songs than Rih.

Rih has more smash hits, but most of those songs are totally forgettable. Forgettable as in Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars. Both artist score huge hits too, but their songs are just very forgettable.

Bladenic

I'm nowhere denying the huge amount of singles Bey has released. I'm just saying that Bey has more iconic and impactfull songs than Rih.

Rih has more smash hits, but most of those songs are totally forgettable. Forgettable as in Maroon 5 and Bruno Mars. Both artist score huge hits too, but their songs are just very forgettable.

That's objective.

cory64

Rihanna is at the point where she can omit multiple megahits from her tour setlist (Pon de Replay, SOS, Disturbia). The first two weren't on the Loud Tour either, so maybe she just doesn't like singing them anymore. The luxurY.

botty

Banned
She only went number 1 in the Canada, Scotland and the UK. A global act shouldn't be charting below 20 in a handful of countries.

Even Taylor prior to Max Martin was doing better. And she didn't even have a worldwide hit at that point.
Nicki is NOT global. That lie needs to stop.

Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded charted higher than Taylor's debut, and her second album, Fearless. #ican't @ you running to Taylor's third album to see that she was finally able to chart higher than a female rapper in Belgium, though.

Nicki also pulled a world wide, record breaking smash hit from PR:RR, so clearly people were here for her on a global scale. And she did it all without the need to have her vagina stabbed by multiple men for inspiration.

ibyrCo7SPupTa.gif

Nicki is barely local. Has she clocked a #1 hit yet? Has her album scanned platinum yet? Didn't her album + Re-release sell less in one year than Rihanna (the singles artist) did in 18 weeks? Hasn't her stint on AI resulted in the lowest ratings since ever?

Leave it to the navy to think going #1 in one country = being global.
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

Oh, and Rihanna is definitely a singles artist. Hence why Unapologetic has been literally crawling on its battered knees to reach platinum certification, while Beyoka's 4 managed to do it quicker, without the massive promo, and chart topping relevant singles.

Nicki has only released two albums, and is already breaking records with her music. Where as it took Rihanna 3 albums before she was a house hold name, and the only growth we have seen from her as an artist is through the people writing and producing her music. Maybe by Rihanna's 10th album, some shred of talent will be visible.
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

And should The Navy really be bringing up ratings, when Rihanna, "a global star,"had a reality show with horrid ratings...

by debuting at 95,000, followed by 79,000 for the second episode, and bumping up to 110,000 viewers for the third episode.

There were more people who purchased Lotus, than there were people who watched Rihanna for free.

iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

I guess it makes sense why she hasn't embarked on an extended WW tour. It's all about demand and I don't think anyone in management is seeing that for her?

Again, #ican't at you using "extended." She took a break to promote her fragrance, The-Re Up, and do Idol.

If people aren't going to spend $10 on your album, are they going to spend $40 to see you on tour?

Is that why it took Rihanna 4 albums, and 3 tours before she felt what it was like to have a sold out arena?

iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded charted higher than Taylor's debut, and her second album, Fearless. #ican't @ you running to Taylor's third album to see that she was finally able to chart higher than a female rapper in Belgium, though.

Fearless charted better overall than PFRR, and sold better than PFRR did WW, I have no idea what you're talking about.

And congrats for Nicki getting a smash WW hit. She can join the prestigious ranks that include acts such as Psy, Baauer, and Macklemore.

botty

Banned
Fearless charted better overall than PFRR, and sold better than PFRR did WW, I have no idea what you're talking about.

And congrats for Nicki getting a smash WW hit. She can join the prestigious ranks that include acts such as Psy, Baauer, and Macklemore.

Well, North America is apart of the world. And I guess you can stay pressed.

iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Oh, and Rihanna is definitely a singles artist. Hence why Unapologetic has been literally crawling on its battered knees to reach platinum certification, while Beyoka's 4 managed to do it quicker, without the massive promo, and chart topping relevant singles.

Lack of context. 4 has clocked 1.323M sales after two years, Unapologetic is at 860k (And still charting in the top 10) after 18 weeks. Unap will easily clock 4's US sales before it's first year of availability is up. Yes, Bey may have clocked plat faster, but her quick lil album fell flat quite quickly as well. And it isn't Rih's fault that she promo's an album and has hit singles. You make that sound like a bad thing.

Nicki has only released two albums, and is already breaking records with her music. Where as it took Rihanna 3 albums before she was a house hold name, and the only growth we have seen from her as an artist is through the people writing and producing her music. Maybe by Rihanna's 10th album, some shred of talent will be visible.
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

By Rihanna's second album, she had amassed a #1 hit, a #2 hit and a Top 10 hit (all without features) and her album sales were INCREASING not DECREASING between her first and second one.

That was the joke.

O

cory64

Debut:
4: 310,309
Unapologetic: 238,000

After 18 weeks:
4: 877,151
Unapologetic: 860,400

Just weeks 2-18:
4: 566,842
Unap: 622,400

Multiplier:
4: 2.83 (lifetime 4.2)
Unap: 3.62

botty

Banned
Lack of context. 4 has clocked 1.323M sales after two years, Unapologetic is at 860k (And still charting in the top 10) after 18 weeks. Unap will easily clock 4's US sales before it's first year of availability is up. Yes, Bey may have clocked plat faster, but her quick lil album fell flat quite quickly as well. And it isn't Rih's fault that she promo's an album and has hit singles. You make that sound like a bad thing.

#Death

I thought 4 had more sales than that. Though, I shouldn't be surprised.

By Rihanna's second album, she had amassed a #1 hit, a #2 hit and a Top 10 hit (all without features) and her album sales were INCREASING not DECREASING between her first and second one.

Even Ciara had a better start than this.
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif
iupCowi4vwpT7.gif

I suppose Rihanna is the perfect example of why you should never give up.

botty

Banned
Botty, her deflection of Nicki's struggles

51rlTSv.png

Bye. You're the one jumping from chart position, to sales, to grammy count. Coming for Nicki when she is literally the only female rapper able to chart, do world tours, and break records in these times.

51rlTSv.png

Mumei

anywhere. all her music sounds the same.

I like how the go-to Mariah shade - besides Mooriah - is "She always sounds the same!" when she's shown more versatility in individual albums than most of your faves do in their entire careers. Isn't shade supposed to have some basis in truth?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lol. I thought the conversation was about how local Nicki was and how she lacked #1's worldwide.

That conversation covered so many topics. US sales were brought up to show how Nicki wasn't even local.

I like how the go-to Mariah shade - besides Mooriah - is "She always sounds the same!" when she's shown more versatility in individual albums than most of your faves do in their entire careers. Isn't shade supposed to have some basis in truth?

nnnnnnn I see those fumes.

Artemisia

Banned
Lol. I thought the conversation was about how local Nicki was and how she lacked #1's worldwide.

She is one of the most local artists in the game (even more than Taylor) and yet she never seems to get flack for it, meanwhile girls that do well WW like Beyonce are consistently attacked for being 'local'.

botty

Banned
Get your Xtina fat jokes out now, cause the Legend is losing all the weight soon.

People published an article about Xtina's recent weight loss...

christina-aguilera-1300.jpg

Though simple hair and pretty makeup helped soften her look, Christina Aguilera is definitely showing off a harder body these days.

When it comes to how many pounds she's lost, The Voice star – who once declared, "I don't weigh myself" – hasn't said. But a source close to the singer confirms she is working out at home regularly and "exploring new methods of exercise" with different trainers, including weight training with fitness guru Tee Sorge.

She's also "getting into healthier, fresh eating," and that includes trading in her usual burger for seared tuna salad or sushi at her favorite L.A. restaurant, Hillstone.

But no matter what her dress size, "Christina is generally very comfortable with her body," says a second source, who recently observed her at a photo shoot. "She seemed to have a strong sense of what she could pull off that day."

As Aguilera herself has said, "I happen to be very confident in my own skin."

I guess "Xtuna" will make sense now?
iHNAUuXed1rEC.gif

idk tbh. i was just trying to summon you back to this thread. :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom