• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ch...seeing as we're all stanning music acts and not actors I think it's more impressive that Xtina got a high quality soundtrack that pretty much features only her. Puts her squarely in the league of other soundtrack divas like Whitney (The Bodyguard) and Mariah (Fuck, I used Glitter and I'm not ashamed to admit it).

Lana Del Slay will be joining the club soon. *.*

I see you all clutching to these minor achievements, but:

Wikipedia said:
At one point in 1984, Prince simultaneously had the number one album, single, and film in the U.S.; it was the first time a singer had achieved this feat. Prince won the Academy Award for Best Original Song Score for Purple Rain, and the album is ranked 72nd Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time. The album is included on the list of Time magazine's All-Time 100 Albums.

the dictionary said:
si·mul·ta·ne·ous
adj.
1. Happening, existing, or done at the same time.

Lemme know when your faves write, produce, and record a diamond selling album on their own (not to mention complete albums for his costars in the movie Apollonia 6, Sheila E., and The Time) as well as star in the aforementioned number 1 movie they forced their record company to put in their contract.

I guess what y'all faves do is cute.

iTanJj94bn5Sa.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lemme know when your faves write, produce, and record a diamond selling album on their own (not to mention complete albums for his costars in the movie Apollonia 6, Sheila E., and The Time) as well as star in the aforementioned number 1 movie they forced their record company to put in their contract.

[ b o w d o w n ]

ixAtwwDHJniQH.gif

Koodo

Banned

iTanJj94bn5Sa.gif
Justin Timberlake must seethe at this daily.

cory64

Not that JT can ever match Purple Rain of course, but then again neither can Prince.

Because unlike JT, Prince actually tried to go new places as an artist (well at least for the first decade after PR), and he's avoided doing a pastiche of his most successful era.
Oof, why did I even bother with that comparison

royalan

Ellie's live EP was a surprisingly pleasant listen. You go girl.

There were some smart choices in the arrangements. Her synth-heavy songs were successfully transposed into acoustic numbers without losing any of the excitement.

Florence could learn a lesson from her. Her live album was SUCH letdown.

Still, in general, I wish more of our faves did live albums. Something special about a really well done live album. ;__;

I'll just say Michael Jackson, and bring an end to the delusion.

Isn't he dead tho?

Prince, IMO, is the last we'll ever see of a self contained artist that gains superstardom on their own merits rather relying on the latest/hottest/up-in-comingest producers/songwriters blah blah blah.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
When did we shift the topic to child abuse?

The Navy's lack of education could be considered a form of child abuse, but I guess thats a different kind of thing

Keep pretending that your ilk give a damn about 1D after they toss that crusty sock in the laundry if you want to.

ibxz6nVHkwzxhg.gif

What are you even talking about? What are you dragging? Of course 1D will be forgotten relatively quickly after they stop making music. Tis the nature of what they are. I have never denied that their careers are likely to be short.

Doesn't change the fact that Prince had second rate impact, and that Thriller is more memorable than his whole career.

i1TmVpy73hbcE.gif

royalan

What are you even talking about? What are you dragging? Of course 1D will be forgotten relatively quickly after they stop making music. Tis the nature of what they are. I have never denied that their careers are likely to be short.

Doesn't change the fact that Prince had second rate impact, and that Thriller is more memorable than his whole career.

i1TmVpy73hbcE.gif

Second-rate? That's just silly.

Both men reached a level that will be untouched for years. Comparison is just cRazy.

Second-rate? That's just silly.

Both men reached a level that will be untouched for years. Comparison is just cRazy.

So untouchable that no one knows him?

I could count the number of people I have met who know who Prince is today on one hand. I had never even heard of him before he was on idol a few years back (though TBH I didn't follow music at the time). Yet I doubt I could find five people who don't know who MJ is. Prince's music may be amazing, but his impact is fading away like water is a desert.

Essentially what will happen to Rih. They have similar strategies of producing as much damn music as humanly possible and releasing it at an absurd rate..... however, that is devastating long term.

ibye9kAVjAuclr.gif

Prince is well on his was to "hew" status.

Nor does it change the fact that Thriller is a shit album and MJ (post Thriller) was a shit artist. I don't deny he had more "impact" but I don't deny that creatively bankrupt always have more impact over genuinely talented people, because they are either willing to do whatever for a buck or they didn't have much by the way of artistry or talent to begin with. The fact that Prince had ANY impact at all, based on how he approached the music business, is a testament to him having the gumption to stick to what he believed was the best for him. Moreover, Prince turned down more record contracts than were ever offered to your faves. Thriller will be less memorable than child molestation charges and dying a drugged up shell of a human being. By-the-by, how many MJ albums of "new" material have come out since he died? Prince has a vault full of video/audio recordings of every concert he's ever done since the early 80's, fully produced video's for songs that have never been released, and album upon albums worth of material. We call that building a legacy. What's MJ's legacy? Dying a needless death and orphaning somebodies children? Alrighty then.

ik1OSELZdtfIr.gif

I could count the number of people I have met who know who Prince is today on one hand. I had never even heard of him before he was on idol a few years back (though TBH I didn't follow music at the time). Yet I doubt I could find five people who don't know who MJ is. Prince's music may be amazing, but his impact is fading away like water is a desert.

Essentially what will happen to Rih. They have similar strategies of producing as much damn music as humanly possible and releasing it at an absurd rate..... however, that is devastating long term.

ibye9kAVjAuclr.gif

So since no one in Bumblefuck, Utah knows him.... Gerl please.

So since no one in Bumblefuck, Utah knows him.... Gerl please.
I didn't grow up in Utah though.

SoCal.

Not sure why it matters though. People in Utah could name Whitney, MJ, Aretha, etc. Not Prince, but that is what happens when you have so little impact.

Hell, even on the global interwebs popgaf is the only place I ever see him discussed.
Oof. Waffles, that's a brutal post to have stuck at the top of a new page, 'cuz you kind of sound like a lunatic.

Just trying to get into character for the current discussion.

royalan

ibye9kAVjAuclr.gif

This whole post is just silly.

It's like saying Joni Mitchell is a second-rate HEW because nobody really "knows her" now, despite that fact that any folk artist who has picked up a guitar in the last 20 years (and then some) wouldn't hesitate to list her as an influence.

Some artists reach a level where their undeniable influence vastly outweighs their own current relevance. It's an enviable place to be. Prince is definitely one of those artists.

Majmun

Prince is a living legend. I'm not really a fan. Some of his stuff is amazing, though.

I always liked MJ more, but I just can't deny Prince's craftsmanship.

This whole post is just silly.

It's like saying Joni Mitchell is a second-rate HEW because nobody really "knows her" now, despite that fact that any folk artist who has picked up a guitar in the last 20 years (and then some) wouldn't hesitate to list her as an influence.

Some artists reach a level where their undeniable influence vastly outweighs their own current relevance. It's an enviable place to be. Prince is definitely one of those artists.

Yes it is. And yes he is.

Sis, you just tried to argue that PRINCE has no impact.

And I thought my Pitbull stanning would be OT5's low point.

Pitbull could get it though!

Partition

Banned
Saying Prince has no impact is like saying Madonna has no impact. Yeah, the newer generation may have no idea who they are, but that doesn't mean they are irrelevant.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Hew knew it would end up being the One Direction stan that would display a complete lack of music knowledge?

It was so logical that it seemed illogical but I got proven wrong and I see how basic 1D stans are. Up there with the #NVAY with the lack of knowledge.

JK

Saying Prince has no impact is like saying Madonna has no impact. Yeah, the newer generation may have no idea who they are, but that doesn't mean they are irrelevant.

Let's not pretend that Prince and Madonna are in the same boat.

Sis, you just tried to argue that PRINCE has no impact.

And I thought my Pitbull stanning would be OT5's low point.

Never said no impact. I said second rate impact. :eli:

Fey

Banned

Though I agree with the message you are trying to convey, Madonna and Prince are on different levels imo.

botty

Banned
I understand what waffles is talking about to an extent. Prince has like 40 albums out there, but odds are the general public wouldn't be able to name 4 of them without googling. But if you asked the same question about Michael Jackson most people can start naming a majority of his discography. Though, that is just what comes with being the most influential pop act to ever exist... so I can see why the comparison might be a bit unfair.

royalan

Prince, to me, makes up one of The Three Pillars of Male Pop: MJ, Prince and Elvis.

Pretty much every major male Pop act of the last few decades can have their styles traced back to one of these three men.

Kinda sad, really...

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
So i've just discovered something called vouguing. Or at least I think it's called that, not entirely sure.

I also don't really know what they're trying to do, whether it's a competition, how they're scored or what. What I do know however is I'm completely fascinated by it. Done nothing but watch videos of it for the past hour and a half.

Anyone know anything about it? Would quite like to look into it, seems like something that could be interesting to follow

tumblr_lrlwgbcaR41qa9cyyo1_500.gif

royalan

So i've just discovered something called vouguing. Or at least I think it's called that, not entirely sure.

I also don't really know what they're trying to do, whether it's a competition, how they're scored or what. What I do know however is I'm completely fascinated by it. Done nothing but watch videos of it for the past hour and a half.

Anyone know anything about it? Would quite like to look into it, seems like something that could be interesting to follow

...you just discovered Vogue?

Lawd...these precious babies.

botty

Banned

All I know is that Madonna stole it (as per) from gay men, and brought it to the general public.

Matt_

...you just discovered Vogue?

Lawd...these precious babies.

Obviously I know of Madonna's vogue but I had no idea where it came from. Seen a couple of gifs and vids here and there but never really knew what it was.

Feel free to educate

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom