• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Nicole has great vocals but she basically hinders it with the basic music she does and doesnt fully utilizes her quirks she has on the crappy music she releases.

I also like this bit of show off she did which I posted before. LINK

royalan

It's a testament that maybe her output should be managed more closely, as opposed to chasing that pop stardom. The only vocals I've enjoyed from her thus far have been mainly ballads from her non-solo albums and most of these side-project undertakings, like her stint in Rent.
I was just having this conversation with someone. I think Nicole's problem at this point is she keeps trying to get in the game through the "hot young starlet" door, but that ship been done sailed. She's never going to be the hip new thing that young girls want to be with music videos young boys jerk off to. She's old and worn and not fooling anyone.

It's time for her to stop wasting time with lukewarm Bubblegum drivel that not even actual "hot young starlets" would touch these days. She needs to start aiming a little older and little more highbrow. She's got the voice for it. I was surprised at how good she is vocally, and she's absolutely wasting it chasing after an audience that's not here for her...or at least wont be with this current sound.

Less RedOne, more Diane Warren/BloodOrange/Rick Rubin.

3phemeral

I was just having this conversation with someone. I think Nicole's problem at this point is she keeps trying to get in the game through the "hot young starlet" door, but that ship been done sailed. She's never going to be the hip new thing that young girls want to be with music videos young boys jerk off to. She's old and worn and not fooling anyone.

It's time for her to stop wasting time with lukewarm Bubblegum drivel that not even actual "hot young starlets" would touch these days. She needs to start aiming a little older and little more highbrow. She's got the voice for it. I was surprised at how good she is vocally, and she's absolutely wasting it chasing after an audience that's not here for her...or at least wont be with this current sound.

Less RedOne, more Diane Warren/BloodOrange/Rick Rubin.
Totally agreed. She's too old for that, even if Fergie got away with it.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
@MileyCyrus
#MikeWiLLMadeIT pic.twitter.com/2015F8llJR

BG4uD3cCYAApWXO.jpg

how long has she been recording, she needs to stop
09954248.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Miley Tweeted a pic of her in the studio with producer of the Top 20 Hit Pour it Up, Mike WILL Made iT.

MileyCyrus said:
#MikeWiLLMadeIT pic.twitter.com/2015F8llJR

x

This is the fourth girl that Rihanna has inspired to work with him after Kelly followed PIU with "Kisses Down Low", Ciara followed with "Body Party", Keri is following with her upcoming single, and now Miley.

Her impacT.

Edit:

I... C

PowderedToast

the fuck is going on here

thriller, bad and dangerous are three of the BEST pop albums ever made. their music and accompanying videos redefined popular music and contain some of the most sophisticated and resonant examples of the cinematic form.

thriller, beat it, bad (the full scorcese short film), liberian girl, the way you make me feel, smooth criminal, man in the mirror, jam, in the closet, black or white, remember the time - ALL fucking genius. you will NOT find better pop videos anywhere else. choreography, editing, imagery - brilliant, concise, meaningful, provocative.

my man armond white sums this up more eloquently than i

Michael Jackson made the best cinema of 1991 with the music video “Black or White,” which was easily superior to any short or feature-length film released to the public that year. To find a comparable example of visual montage, you have to go back to one of Alain Resnais’ time-shifting études, the marriage scherzo in Citizen Kane or the chase-trial fugue in D.W. Griffith’s Intolerance. I combine musical and filmic values because “Black or White” ’s visionary approach to egalitarianism—ending with a still-miraculous sequence of genetic morphing and counter-balanced by a solo dance of frustration and rage—was a singular feat: Its constant rhythm was accompanied by a stacking-up of thrilling, provocative ideas.

The night “Black or White” premiered on FOX was one of those memorable moments when Michael Jackson brought the world together through his art. That unification is, of course, MJ’s legacy. But not merely in a lovey-dovey sense. MJ’s command of popular attention was always unexpected and challenging. Each cultural/historical marker demonstrated his unique sensibility, mostly superb taste (pardon his penchant for horror-film tropes), his simple yet probing, agitating intellect and his seemingly boundless talents: a great singer, songwriter, dancer and, in movie terms, performer-as-auteur.

MJ had the audacity to believe that he could also create that communication on a larger scale in sincere anthems like “We Are the World,” “Earth Song” and “Man in the Mirror.” It’s a wonder of pop art when you can’t really separate the gravitas of an anthem from a love lyric. That flash of emotional truth in MJ’s art makes it possible to set aside scandal. What genuine artist has avoided it?

current 'pop artists' can't SNIFF the fucking FARTS of michael jackson. try as they might, their shit does not STICK or RESONATE. just watch telephone or mirrors to see how much contemporary pop music FAILS at long-form music videos

PowderedToast

we talk about IMPACT

tell me WHY all male artists are carbon copies of the same person

tell me WHY gaga even THINKS of creating videos longer than 3 minutes

tell me WHY everyone STRAINS to make memorable pop imagery and FAILS

tell me WHY pop music as we understand it IS the way it is today

three words

MICHAEL.

FUCKING.

JACKSON.

botty

Banned
we talk about IMPACT

three words

MICHAEL.

FUCKING.

JACKSON.

Calm your vagina. We all know Michael Jackson is the most iconic pop star of all time. Only Rob is crazy enough to complain about him. Don't pay it much attention. <3

Trigger

we talk about IMPACT

three words

MICHAEL.

FUCKING.

JACKSON.

Where are the lies?

0iqIh.gif

Bladenic

You're actually the one I RIHlate the most. IDK why. You and Bladenic. You both are so flawless and amazing.

Why is iT that the Fighters are the best peeps around?!?! Why can't the #Navy be this amazing?

I mean DMJ is angry (but if you picture him as Snow its cute!), and Im high all timE. Although Trigger is like a phucking Saint and Cory is so normal and well grounded. Which is why he was paid DUST at the nicest member noms ;___; But I love Cory I need him to know that!!!

Aw thanks bro. You're my fave too.

royalan

we talk about IMPACT

three words

MICHAEL.

FUCKING.

JACKSON.

You tell no lies, but you touched on a good question that I've been thinking about for a while now. Might even be thread worthy...

WHY is men's Pop so fucking pathetic right now.

Whereas the ladies are really pressured to differentiate themselves (and even punished by fan communities for veering too close to another act's lane), most male Pop acts these days end up being some sort of copy or mix of the same three principle artists: MJ, Prince or Elvis.

Personally, I think that at some point men allowed their sense of masculinity to inhibited them and keep them from embracing pop pageantry or avant garde. Men have gotten too uptight.

I think back to the 70s Funk movements with groups like Parliament and how fucking whacked they use to dress and perform. And what about The Villiage People? People imitate Prince's musicality and style, but NOBODY gets out on stage in flaming yellow assless chaps like he used to. Shit like that wouldn't fly these days (I mean, there's CeeLo, but...), whereas this is EXPECTED from the ladies. Nowadays, most male acts are content the shovel the same tired wannabe MJ/Prince/Elvis routine, and people seem to be ok with it.

What happened?

Hiding from the public still, bless

normal_2~20.jpg

01~273.jpg

normal_4~14.jpg

iblvkLo0gKrYYE.gif

we talk about IMPACT

three words

MICHAEL.

FUCKING.

JACKSON.
You seem upset sweetie.
ibf7ZD5AtNfs8w.gif

You just listed every reason why MJ and the current state of pop music is as flawed as it is. Note that nothing you listed had anything to do with music. It's all about the spectacle and the bright and shiny of everything. He and they use all that "pop imagery" and over the top videos to distract you from the fact that they are selling you a worthless bill of goods. If you are the shit, then your music should speak for itself, IMO.

You tell no lies, but you touched on a good question that I've been thinking about for a while now. Might even be thread worthy...

Whereas the ladies are really pressured to differentiate themselves (and even punished by fan communities for veering too close to another act's lane), most male Pop acts these days end up being some sort of copy or mix of the same three principle artists: MJ, Prince or Elvis.

Personally, I think that at some point men allowed their sense of masculinity to inhibited them and keep them from embracing pop pageantry or avant garde. Men have gotten too uptight.

I think back to the 70s Funk movements with groups like Parliament and how fucking whacked they use to dress and perform. And what about The Villiage People? People imitate Prince's musicality and style, but NOBODY gets out on stage in flaming yellow assless chaps like he used to. Shit like that wouldn't fly these days (I mean, there's CeeLo, but...), whereas this is EXPECTED from the ladies. Nowadays, most male acts are content the shovel the same tired wannabe MJ/Prince/Elvis routine, and people seem to be ok with it.

What happened?

Because teenage girls and butch queens are the only ones buying music en masse, and only buy the records of the latest 16-19 y/o 5 member boy band.
ibs08W15MRhuR6.gif

Trigger

What happened?

Well there are a few male pop singers who try to engage in the aforementioned pop pageantry, but the industry punishes them pretty harshly for stepping out of the MJ/Prince/Elvis mold. I think an argument could be made that male pop-stars are more pigeonholed than their female counterparts.

Nemesis_

You stan for Madonna.

I think it's pretty clear that you can make a spectacle of yourself and have your music speak for itself.

Rob created this bullshit tier system for himself to make sense of why he is hypocritical about stanning for Prince but in the same breath stanning for Madonna/Rihanna.

Rob truly living up to that Worse Gif Use award I see
ea2a4fdb.gif

These subtitled GIFs
ea2a4fdb.gif

Anyway girls come in

http://plug.dj/popgaf/

We're about to starT

You stan for Madonna.

I think it's pretty clear that you can make a spectacle of yourself and have your music speak for itself.

I think I've been pretty clear that I don't see it for MJ's music. Have I not? MJ's music from Thriller to Invincible was garbage. I didn't care for it. I don't like it. I think it sucks. Everything connected to it sucked. I'm sure he was a swell fella tho.

I like Madonna's music, for the most part. And we've already discussed the Rihanna stanning. I don't see the problem here.

thabiz

I think I've been pretty clear that I don't see it for MJ's music. Have I not? MJ's music from Thriller to Invincible was garbage. I didn't care for it. I don't like it. I think it sucks. Everything connected to it sucked. I'm sure he was a swell fella tho.

I like Madonna's music, for the most part. And we've already discussed the Rihanna stanning. I don't see the problem here.

I've never posted in here before, and I never will again.

Just popped in to say this is the stupidest fucking post i have ever read.

Carry on Pop-Gaf.

Nemesis_

ibo35TrT9RReNA.gif

Hello and welcome back to the PopGAF Community Awards. Tonight marks a special occasion where we get to celebrate the most decorated members of the community at large.

We'll get straight into it and present the next wave of awards.

itWEWkOMLySiC.gif

There are EIGHT awards remaining.

ibkMXEYBgxXQxI.gif

The Justin Timberlake Award for Biggest Bandwagon
Awarded to the "situation" that compelled the most people to change allegiances or switch sides TOWARDS something else​
The nominations were:

Rihanna and her Chart Performance
M.I.A. and her Matangi Mixtape
Rihanna following Unapologetic
Taylor Swift following RED​

ibnRTp7rIoNqtJ.gif

I honestly felt that none of these deserved a top nomination considering the other options available, but THAT'S JUST LIFE. So let's present the award to it's worthy(?) recipient:

PG-Bandwagoners.png

Congratulations to the #NAVY for being the recipients of bandwagoning. Like a whore in a brothel, everyone gravitates towards the Bajan queen.

infPlkgbsItnH.gif

Koodo

Banned
MIA should have won but her album is seemingly nowhere in sight despite the release date being imminent. Everyone is hopping off that wagon right quicK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom