• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

botty

Banned
wait, that jonas brothers song.

iH4g3XnzBQrZT.gif
iH4g3XnzBQrZT.gif
iH4g3XnzBQrZT.gif

Let me bookmark this post so that when people say you have bad taste there is evidence.

ea2a4fdb.gif
ea2a4fdb.gif
ea2a4fdb.gif

Beyoncé has nothing to prove. Even Xtina with her two gigatic flops has had more impact that Perra. And people still call Xtina a legend.

Bey has everything that a star needs. Her first flop album was highly acclaimed and sold millions of copies. Most acts would feel blessed with such a flop.

The difference with Bey and Katy is also legacy and talent. Sure, that's not an important factor in current charts, or for your stanning, waffle. But those things have to be taken into account as well when judging a star. And Bey absolutely trashed Katy when it comes to those two things.

Bey just needs a comeback single to score a hit and chart well. But she doesn't need to worry about her reputation anymore. She has made it and is considered to be one of the best pop female artists out there. Perra has no chance to touch that.
ibudeQokS8GQKH.gif

I completely agree with that. Bey is far more dynamic, talented, and interesting than Perry.

Whether she will put her advantages to good use this era is yet to be seen. All the ability in the world isn't worth much if you do not use it to make music that the public wants.

New Jonas Brothers video Pom Poms came out a couple of days ago. Click the pic for the link

One of them has shaved their head and looks vile, but the video is inoffensive
I hope that sex tape leaks asap so I can forget about these again

Sounds like one of those unknown songs that plays during the credits of a budget Disney tv movie
(i.e. most of Lady Gaga's back catalogue)

You're right about the vile.

Nemesis_

'No surprise that you would rather stick to topics where if proven wrong you can just cry "it's just my opinion" and no one can counter with facts.

So using your logic, songs from the album (for example) 4 are somewhat less significant sonically than the songs like HARLEM SHAKE, GANGNAM STYLE and THRIFT SHOP?

Goodbye. You can keep your metrics. I understand you probably have a natural fascination with numbers but don't pretend that these "metrics" are the only indicator of good music.

cory64

The current trinity on a monthly basis would be Rih, Taylor, and Gaga (who was giving her era a finale with a tour through February while Bey has yet to offfffficially start her next era).

So using your logic, songs from the album (for example) 4 are somewhat less significant sonically than the songs like HARLEM SHAKE, GANGNAM STYLE and THRIFT SHOP?

Goodbye. You can keep your metrics. I understand you probably have a natural fascination with numbers but don't pretend that these "metrics" are the only indicator of good music.

No I never said this.

We are discussing the Trinity right now, which has historically been tied very closely to commercial success. If we were discussing whether Gangnam Style of 4 was BIGGER, or which was more popular, receipts would be very relevant.

Discussing which is BETTER is a completely different issue. However, those discussions can never have a conclusion because no matter how many people agree that one > the other it is still just an opinion. Which makes debating it kind of circular and pointless.

KTHXBAI

Macklemore + Baauer Harlem Shake + PSY, of course
i5w4qyxaBKq5U.gif

Carly is on probation.
i5w4qyxaBKq5U.gif

edit-

What basically Nem said, lol

I see the nonsense train has left the station and isn't coming back.

Mau ®

I think people are greatly underestimating Perra. She's not my fave by a long shot but she's very likeable, more so than Bey. And radio and consumers agree.

I just think she's a wild card.

The nonsense train came yesterday with your Prince posts and is CONTINUING today with your Katy Perry nonsense.

What is nonsense about my Katy Perry argument? Put your money where your mouth is.

It is easy to say something is wrong because you don't like it. Can you back it up?

I will admit the Prince discussion went way overboard though.

botty

Banned
But can we really compare PSY,Macklemore, Bauur to Katy Perry when each of them have only had 1 hit song (all filth), mean while Katy is pulling multiple #1s?

She would have had another #1 with Wide Awake, if CRJ hadn't released Call Me Shitty.

But Katy's songs are just as disposable as Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake. It's about more than radio plays and 69c singles. Katy's just generic bubblegum pop and she does nothing special or interesting.

But Katy's songs are just as disposable as Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake. It's about more than radio plays and 69c singles.

What is it about then?

How can you consider her to be just as disposable as GS/HS when she scores #1 after #1 over multiple years while the others fail to?

When you discount ANY solid metric like sales or radio, you are essentially implying that nothing matters other than your own personal opinion. When discussing SUCCESS (or popularity) I think receipts are an integral metric.

botty

Banned
But Katy's songs are just as disposable as Gangnam Style and Harlem Shake. It's about more than radio plays and 69c singles. Katy's just generic bubblegum pop and she does nothing special or interesting.

This is BS. A lot of Katy's songs are bad, and age poorly, but she definitely has some good songs in her discography. Wide Awake, Teenage Dream, ET (not the remix version).

Katy and Dr. Luke had all the girls shook during the Teenage Dream era. bye

Mau ®

Katy MOST CERTAINLY did something interesting if she was able to make the Teenage Dream era go for as long as it did.

This is BS. A lot of Katy's songs are bad, and age poorly, but she definitely has some good songs in her discography. Wide Awake, Teenage Dream, ET (not the remix version).

TBH I still use Hot n Cold. I know it is disposable, but I love it.

Katy's strength lies in her anthems imo. None of the one hit wonders like CMM, GS, or HS are anthems by any stretch of the imagination. Whether people like it or not songs like Firework or Part of Me did have impact.

Partition

Banned
By what metric was BTW not a disappointment?

It was down in every metric from the album before. Not a "flop" per-se, but definitely not a success.

....and it is very easy to see that Katy could have more success in this coming era than Gaga. It wouldn't exactly be unprecedented.

It had a number one single and two other singles in the Top 10. The album did over a million the first week. The BTWB the 24th highest grossing tour of all time, and would of been a lot higher if none of the shows were cancelled. The BTWB grossed on average a lot more per show than the Monster Ball did.

That's sure a lot more than I can say about Bey and her 4 era.

royalan

Love/Hate the Beyonce commercial. It took me back to a time when I openly stanned her, so it was touching, I guess.

That said, what we could hear of the song sounded like hot, putrid garbage. And that's not my Bey hate talking. That genuinely sounded terrible, and I've ALWAYS hated when Bey does that talk-singing thing she does when she's bragging. More disjointed "Run The World" shit, here we come.

Also...Waffle's been flopping hard with his opinions lately, but I agree with him. In no way is Beyonce a part of any current trinity. All the excuses in the world can't discount the fact that she flopped with 4 and was bumped down a tier. If this era is a massive success maybe she can climb back up. But as of now? Nope. TOO MANY girls doing it bigger than her.

...I think she's got more going for her than Katy Perry, though.

It had a number one single and two other singles in the Top 10. The album did over a million the first week. The BTWB the 24th highest grossing tour of all time, and would of been a lot higher if none of the shows were cancelled. The BTWB grossed on average a lot more per show than the Monster Ball did.

That's sure a lot more than I can say about Bey and her 4 era.

Oh I completely agree. BTW crushed 4.

Still, I expected it's singles to perform better than they did.

Love/Hate the Beyonce commercial. It took me back to a time when I openly stanned her, so it was touching, I guess.

That said, what we could hear of the song sounded like hot, putrid garbage. And that's not my Bey hate talking. That genuinely sounded terrible, and I've ALWAYS hated when Bey does that talk-singing thing she does when she's bragging. More disjointed "Run The World" shit, here we come.

Also...Waffle's been flopping hard with his opinions lately, but I agree with him. In no way is Beyonce a part of any current trinity. All the excuses in the world can't discount the fact that she flopped with 4 and was bumped down a tier. If this era is a massive success maybe she can climb back up. But as of now? Nope. TOO MANY girls doing it bigger than her.

...I think she's got more going for her than Katy Perry, though.

lol. Been working a new job while also going to school full time.

I won't lie, sometimes I just need to drag something so I latch on to whatever is being discussed at the moment.

Forgive me :(

Mau ®

Call Me Maybe is pretty anthemic. When you get more than 8000 girls singing the song in the same room because its playing in the speakers, you know you got something. I can attest to this phenomenon.

Just because carly has failed to have another big hit (or a hit kii) does not mean CMM was disposable and had no impact. Plenty of one hit wonders deliver great songs that become pop music staples without necessarily turning the artist into a pop music staple. The 80's and 90's were full of these kind of people.

In fact, 80's one hit wonders are some of the best *.*

cory64

No album from a trinity-capable girl has produced 8 flop singles in a row, even if the album itself was pretty great.

Call Me Maybe is pretty anthemic. When you get more than 8000 girls singing the song in the same room because its playing in the speakers, you know you got something.

Just because carly has failed to have another big hit (or a hit kii) does not mean CMM was disposable and had no impact. Plenty of one hit wonders deliver great songs that become pop music staples without necessarily turning the artist into a pop music staple. The 80's and 90's were full of these kind of people.

Then again I think GS had impact as well.

I think the difference between Perry and Carly is that Perry's sound was diverse enough that people didn't mind hearing variations. With Carly once was enough.

Omg, I can't at Avril looking like one of the boys from Hanson.

Also, the Beyoncé song in that commercial was a tiny snippet and ended right before she was about go slay vocally. I need the full thing right now.

Trigger

Call Me Maybe is pretty anthemic. When you get more than 8000 girls singing the song in the same room because its playing in the speakers, you know you got something. I can attest to this phenomenon.

Preach ITZsus.

ibtRj1jNpP1pzD.gif

Majmun

Grown Woman sounds pretty fresh. She's one of the few faves out there who can sing something like that and tell no lies.

The same goes with Bow Down. Bow Down and I Been On are better, though. They have a better beat.

What were you saying about my poor tastes?

BaRnI7k.gif

royalan

Grown Woman sounds pretty fresh. She's one of the few faves out there who can sing something like that and tell no lies.

The same goes with Bow Down. Bow Down and I Been On are better, though. They have a better beat.

I had a dream about you last night. *.*

We were sitting on the floor eating rice and peas on paper plates and watching reruns of Daria. *.*

What were you saying about my poor tastes?

BaRnI7k.gif

Someone acknowledges that many of Katy's songs are bad or age poorly, but has a few good songs, and that means they have bad taste?

Most would probably call that being objective.

Even the artists I drag the most have some songs that I like/enjoy.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
But thats not to say that what I said was a lie

Katy Perry has no place in the trinity, it is Beyonce/Gaga/Rihanna
until Britney returns with #8, now take several seats I will not
be pouring more of this tea. end of
iRkUAlrTMVf9x.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom