• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

I just stumbled upon this wonderful tea:

"Diamonds" hit #1 in the U.K. in October. It's Rihanna's sixth song to reach #1 in both the U.S. and the U.K., which puts her in a tie with Elvis Presley for the most transatlantic #1s by a solo artist. Rihanna previously topped the charts in both countries with "Umbrella" (featuring Jay-Z), "Take A Bow," "Only Girl In The World," "What's Your Name" (featuring Drake) and "We Found Love" (featuring Calvin Harris).

Rihanna, her nonexistent impact and meaningless brand power
f58a8b71.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I don't think there has been any artist who had 8+ years of career longevity, 12 #1 singles, and 6 platinum albums and still had their influence, impact, and iconography called into question.

Look at this, and notice how Rihanna is sitting alongside artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Elvis, and the Beatles in terms of her achievements.

It's getting ridiculous now. And it will be even more ridiculous once the Diamonds tour ends and she releases her 8th album

Fey

Banned
most successful artists
1. Madonna

artists with most weeks at no. 1
1. Madonna

artists with most tracks at no. 1
1. Madonna

artists with most tracks in the top 10
1. Madonna

igSEMQU8v0kOK.gif

though, i am impressed rihanna is in the top 10 in most successful artists when she's not even 10 years into her career. that is very impressive considering everyone else in the list is pretty much a legend. truly the black madonna.

I don't think there has been any artist who had 8+ years of career longevity, 12 #1 singles, and 6 platinum albums and still had their influence, impact, and iconography called into question.

Look at this, and notice how Rihanna is sitting alongside artists like Madonna, Michael Jackson, Elvis, and the Beatles in terms of her achievements.

It's getting ridiculous now. And it will be even more ridiculous once the Diamonds tour ends and she releases her 8th album

I would like nothing more than for chart success to = impact since it is well known how much I love charts and numbers.

We all know that is not the case though.

Amy Winehouse is a perfect example. She was a mess and really only had one hit single worlwide and one successful album, yet I still see her impact as being up there with any of the (current) major pop girls.

That is not to say that an artist cannot have both chart success and impact though.

Partition

Banned
I think a good way to look at "brand power" would be to compare our fave's perfume sales.

Let me come in with these receipts:

FAME sold 30 Million bottles, grossing 1.6 Billion dollars (as of Feb). It was the highest grossing single fragrance last year

Most successful pop gyal fragrance of all time.

I think a good way to look at "brand power" would be to compare our fave's perfume sales.

Let me come in with these receipts:

FAME sold 30 Million bottles, grossing 1.6 Billion dollars (as of Feb). It was the highest grossing single fragrance last year

Most successful pop gyal fragrance of all time.

lol

One could easily argue that brand power is a negative allowing artists to sell a bad products because of their name.

Mau ®

I still have yet to smell any of Rihanna's perfumes. Or GaGa's.

I came across a sample of Nicki's perfume tho. It was surprisingly good
;awk;.gif

I caught myself using PopGAF lingo this morning. Noticed that I forgot to clean my room a bit and said to myself "what kind of mess..."

PopGAF's impact~

Mau ®

I caught myself using PopGAF lingo this morning. Noticed that I forgot to clean my room a bit and said to myself "what kind of mess..."

PopGAF's impact~

I once said "show me the receipts!!!" to my older brother.

He's an accountant tho. Im sure he's used to hearing that.

lol at this drive-by. Whatever floats the #Navy boat; I've listened to enough pop albums to know when an artist is invested in every song on their projects, and I get that from my faves. That's why they're my faves. If you're gonna sit there and tell me that Talk That Talk and Unapologetic have as much filler as Born This Way or 4 then I, uh, will accept that you said that to me. lol
Having heard all 4, I will say that BTW has more filler than 4, TTT and Unapologetic combined.

royalan

Born This Way is a better and more fully realized album than 4, Talk That Talk, and Unapologetic combined. So let's noT.

Well it's like 60-40, but 4 clocks 38 of that 40. lol

Now sis, not even you can believe this. BTW is a mess of an album, conceptually.

Partition

Banned
Having heard all 4, I will say that BTW has more filler than 4, TTT and Unapologetic combined.

All these blatant LIES

Bad Kids is the only piece of filler on the entire album. Black Jesus & FOHL are bonus tracks for a reason though.

EDIT: The problem with 4 is that it's highs are wayyyy better than the highs of BTW, but it's lows are also pretty much the lowest Bey has ever gone.

Artemisia

Banned
All these blatant LIES

Bad Kids is the only piece of filler on the entire album. Black Jesus & FOHL are bonus tracks for a reason though.

Highway Unicorn and Electric Chapel are filler as well.

BTW's problem isn't only with filler, there are tracks that aren't filler that are pretty bad (Born This Way, Hair, You and I). That's 6 poor tracks out of 14.

Fey

Banned

BTW's problem isn't only with filler, there are tracks that aren't filler that are pretty bad (Born This Way, Hair, You and I).

ia

(one of) btw's problems isn't the amount of filler, it's the amount of bad.

Partition

Banned

BTW's problem isn't only with filler, there are tracks that aren't filler that are pretty bad (Born This Way, Hair, You and I). That's 6 poor tracks out of 14.

That's your awful opinion though. Electric Chapel is one of my fave tracks off the record, so again that is subjective. Highway Unicorn has one of the best and most powerful choruses on the record. The only song universally agreed on as being filler is Bad Kids, end of story.

Hair is only "bad" because of it's lyrics. It slayed me live and I actually genuinely think it's a good song. Born This Way can't be that bad considering the records it broke. You & I is way better than Speechless.

I'm getting really tired of people trying to use Gaga's visually messy era to somehow convince themselves that the album also sucked, when it reality it really didn't. TFM gets so much credit for everything but the music.

Artemisia

Banned
Highway Unicorn is hot garbage. Hair isn't bad because of its lyrics. The production isn't even good. It sounds like a rip off of some 80s rock anthem. Speechless is far better than Y&I. What kind of fucked up approach to country pop was that?

Partition

Banned
Highway Unicorn is hot garbage. Hair isn't bad because of its lyrics. The production isn't even good. It sounds like a rip off of some 80s rock anthem. Speechless is far better than Y&I. What kind of fucked up approach to country pop was that?

What? Do you not understand what the inspiration for the album was? Did you not see the album cover?

If you honestly tell me this isn't good production, I would like you to tell me what is

https://soundcloud.com/gagathiswayy/new-hair-instrumental

royalan

Being better than Speechless isn't exactly high praise.

I was really disappointed in how You and I turned out, because I LOVED the acoustic version she played on tour before BTW released.

Artemisia

Banned
What? Do you not understand what the inspiration for the album was? Did you not see the album cover?

If you honestly tell me this isn't good production, I would like you to tell me what is

https://soundcloud.com/gagathiswayy/new-hair-instrumental

Something being the inspiration of the album doesn't make it good. The title track of Born This Way is one of the worst on the record.

Good production? Scheiße, Bloody Mary, and Heavy Metal Lover are great examples.

Fey

Banned
Born This Way can't be that bad considering the records it broke. You & I is way better than Speechless.

I'm getting really tired of people trying to use Gaga's visually messy era to somehow convince themselves that the album also sucked, when it reality it really didn't. TFM gets so much credit for everything but the music.

what in the world

gaga could have released bad kids as the lead single and it would have smashed records. the hype is what made btw become so successful.

and bye everyone compliments TFM's music. don't you run a gaga fansite? doesn't everyone there ride DITD's dick? i would go as far as to say TFM is one of the greatest modern pop albums. it's her only album that sounds uniquely "gaga" if that makes any sense.

Being better than Speechless isn't exactly high praise.

I was really disappointed in how You and I turned out, because I LOVED the acoustic version she played on tour before BTW released.

I would be getting that Xtina avatar ready.

The Void ratings went UP this week. Unless it starts dropping it will pass its first equivalent episode of Idol in 2 weeks or so.

Partition

Banned
what in the world

gaga could have released bad kids as the lead single and it would have smashed records. the hype is what made btw become so successful.

and bye everyone compliments TFM's music. don't you run a gaga fansite? doesn't everyone there ride DITD's dick? i would go as far as to say TFM is one of the greatest modern pop albums. it's her only album that sounds uniquely "gaga" if that makes any sense.

Bad Kids was cute, it would of certainly charted higher than Judas or MTN.

Let's see, my main problem with TFM is that nothing on it is GREAT to me, the songs just range from okay - good (EDIT: SHICD is great). I can name plenty of tracks from BTW that I consider great and that I use still.

DITD gives me blue balls everytime I listen to it. The first 45 seconds of the track, in my opinion, is the best thing Gaga has ever released. But then it falls apart completely in the chorus. The bridge gets a lot of praise but I can't shake the Vogue feeling which makes it hard for me to appreciate.

cory64

Something being the inspiration of the album doesn't make it good. The title track of Born This Way is one of the worst on the record.

Good production? Scheiße, Bloody Mary, and Heavy Metal Lover are great examples.
Did I miss the part where you lied?

Artemisia

Banned
Let's see, my main problem with TFM is that nothing on it is GREAT to me, the songs just range from okay - good (EDIT: SHICD is great). I can name plenty of tracks from BTW that I consider great and that I use still.

Yes, but an album is a body of work, and you need to consider all of it, not just what you use.

To me, an album that contains all 'good' tracks with nothing great is better than an album with some great tracks interspersed with shit no one wants to listen to.

Partition

Banned
You & I is the only song I erased from iTunes.

I'll remain forever pressed that the best version was paid complete dust. What the hell was she thinking?

The rest of BTW is godly
f58a8b71.gif

She did the same to Speechless, which is actually v nice live

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hT8lp-U7hFk

o and I forgot to reply to this

Yes, but an album is a body of work, and you need to consider all of it, not just what you use.

Bullshit. When I open iTunes, I don't listen to a "body of work", I listen to a song on an album. It's like saying 20/20 Experience is the best album ever made because it all is cohesive and sounds the same, yet most of us can't even pick three songs we use off of it.

Partition

Banned
waiT, drew, you don't think bad romance/alejandro/monster are great?
YYW46uP.gif

Alejandro is probably my second fave from the record, but it still doesn't match HML, EoG, Scheiße, and Bloody Mary in my eyes. Monster is good but I'm not fond of basic pop so I don't really use. Bad Romance is catchy but can I say I ever listen to it? No. The video is what made that song.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Legend X loves Rihanna

Christina was in attendance at the SOLD-OUT concert by Rihanna in LA at the Staples Center last night, as were numerous other celebs such as Elle Fanning, Chloe Moretz, Colton Haynes, Ashley Benson, Ellen Pompeo, Riley Keough, Nicolas Hoult, Rosie Huntington Whiteley, Kirsten Dunst, Wilmer Valderrama, Sia Furler, Kendall Jenner, Kylie Jenner, Scott Disick, Naya Rivera, Big Sean, Kevin McHale, Jared Eng, Selena Gomez, Christina Aguilera, Matthew Rutler, Alessandra Torresani, Tyga, Blac Chyna, Kylie Minogue, Chris Brown, Perez Hilton, Evelyn Lozada, Lil Twist, Casey Veggies, Gerrick D. Kennedy, Trinidad James, Jessica Burciaga, Julissa Bermudez, Rochelle Aytes, Jenna Marbles, Jesse Metcalfe, Cara Santana, Jessica Szohr, Nicolas Hoult & Paul Nassif.

I see Kylie Minouge and Sia stanning as well as Xtina

#RihannasimpacT #RihannasBrandPower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom