• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Grown Woman sounds like absolute shit.

And I can already tell that I'm going to have the same problem with it that I have with all of Bey's bangers since 4.

Think of all the great pop bangers. Heck, think of all of Bey's biggest hits. Bangers like Crazy In Love, Baby Boy and Single Ladies. As genius as the composition of those songs were, they were all relatively simple in structure.

Strong verse, strong chorus, strong bridge, tied together with a great hook. Bam. You're done.

But Beyonce seems to have forgotten this. Starting with Run The World, all of Bey's latest attempts at a banger have been positively schizophrenic. It's like she doesn't know what she wants the tone of the song to be or where she wants it to go, so she just does EVERYTHING, and the songs end up being a three-and-a-half minute hodgepodge of key changes, tempos, vocalizations, beat switches, and disjointed themes.

Just a damn MESS.

I'm reminded something the legendary Coco Chanel said about fashion: before you leave the house, take one thing off.

Beyonce would do well to apply this to her music.

While I disagree with the first statement, I agree with your assessment on her singles post-I Am...

She does the absolute most in production for some reason, and doesn't use the mantra 'less is more' enough.

And I can already tell that I'm going to have the same problem with it that I have with all of Bey's bangers since 4.

Think of all the great pop bangers. Heck, think of all of Bey's biggest hits. Bangers like Crazy In Love, Baby Boy and Single Ladies. As genius as the composition of those songs were, they were all relatively simple in structure.

Strong verse, strong chorus, strong bridge, tied together with a great hook. Bam. You're done.

But Beyonce seems to have forgotten this. Starting with Run The World, all of Bey's latest attempts at a banger have been positively schizophrenic. It's like she doesn't know what she wants the tone of the song to be or where she wants it to go, so she just does EVERYTHING, and the songs end up being a three-and-a-half minute hodgepodge of key changes, tempos, vocalizations, beat switches, and disjointed themes.

Just a damn MESS.

I'm reminded something the legendary Coco Chanel said about fashion: before you leave the house, take one thing off.

I see what you are saying, but it is not nearly that bad.

So far I am not in love with the track, but I am going to wait for its full release before I take a firm stance.

Just a damn MESS.

What on earth are you going on about? What little we've heard of "Grown Woman" sounds stylistically and tonally consistent. It's a BOP

"Run This World" and "End of Time" are total messes, though. Like ten songs in one, and ten bad ones.

Trigger

Is that Janeane Garofalo?

nnnnn

Give her six or so more years and they'll be twins.

Just a damn MESS.

This is a bit premature. The full song isn't out yet.

Bye. Weren't you just saying you hate Countdown? It's the WORST offender.

Countdown is just plain shitty on a level seen only by the likes of Lardy Gaga. As far as uptempo singles go RTW, shits. End of Time, shits.

"Run This World" and "End of Time" are total messes, though. Like ten songs in one, and ten bad ones.

ibi6ImlTuAgFbk.gif

royalan

You hoes can remain pressed by my truth.

From the two snippets I've heard I hear Beyonce singing, Beyonce rap-singing, harmony layers, and Beyonce hooting, and you can't really tell how all of these different vocalizations fit into the song, just that they're all there. Grown Woman sounds busy as fuck, and not in a good way.

Bladenic

I admit I am prematurely saying Grown Man is like Run The World based on lyrics. But then again, it's hard to judge based on a commercial. If the full version is a bop, then good, I will bop. But if it's another Run The World absolute levels of MESS, then I hope the Beyhive can admit it. I'm sure they will declare it some other wordly creation though.

I love Countdown and End of Time both. Countdown is ridiculously schizo, but I think it works.

Having never listened to a Ne-Yo song on purpose, I fully expected to hate that song purely for his small hat and general butch queeniness. Imagine my surprise, when up til he started singing, my head was bopping. Then that singing started and it was a wrap.

I do believe I was ensconced in Maxwell in 2010. It's nice when dudes sing like dudes sometimes.
Agreed, I'm bopping in spite of the flop.

His voice is like a female Miley Cyrus.

botty

Banned
Azealia Banks is being insensitive to homosexuals again.

cdtgIKT.png

Doesn't she know what happens when you try to shame/force people out of the closet?

ikgEDMxkCcMJF.gif

Mau ®

I appreciate Leona's Ne-yo link because it promoted J.Cole's new video for the awesome "Power Trip". Bare, uncensored tits and Miguel crooning! I approve!!!

I CAN'T STAND MIRRORS MAKE IT GO AWAY

Especially his voice on it, just awful.
m220125211.gif

THANK YOU.

I thought I was the only one who hated his voice on the song. It ruins it - too nasally and weak. I haven't seen any life performances of it, but it probably sounds much better in fuller voice with a band.

Thank lawd he didn't go full pre-pube on "Tunnel Vision" or "Don't Hold The Wall" (my faves from the album).

Wait, I am confused.

I thought people loved Mirrors because of its 2006ness? It was the only track I remember hearing positive things about back in the early days of 20/20 hype building.

I really don't care one way or another about the track.

Oh. These are actually good ratings. for once.

iYcxh7eXw9cFP.gif

Well if you like them, they must be wrong.

ibvu7WLfsT2gP2.gif

Wait, I am confused.

I thought people loved Mirrors because of its 2006ness? It was the only track I remember hearing positive things about back in the early days of 20/20 hype building.

I really don't care one way or another about the track.

IDK if it was anyone here. But the OT seemed to love it.

Not here for that "Grown Woman" clip. It's just as crap as Jordin Sparks' "I Am Woman".

JT's "Mirrors" is the only song from 20/20 that I remember and still like.

Not here for that "Grown Woman" clip. It's just as crap as Jordin Sparks' "I Am Woman".

JT's "Mirrors" is the only song from 20/20 that I remember and still like.

She performed that on Idol once right?

As I recall it was pretty awful.

Isn't she releasing a new album this year?

I love seeing Jordin on stage though. She is so massive, built like a football player. Ryan Seacrest always looked comical next to her.

She performed that on Idol once right?

As I recall it was pretty awful.

Isn't she releasing a new album this year?

I love seeing Jordin on stage though. She is so massive, built like a football player. Ryan Seacrest always looked comical next to her.
I believe she did.

It is an awful song, which sucks because I love Jordin. Both of her albums are bops.

I don't know when she is releasing a new album. Hopefully, she does release an album this year, and nothing on it is like "I Am Woman".

I believe she did.

It is an awful song, which sucks because I love Jordin. Both of her albums are bops.

I don't know when she is releasing a new album. Hopefully, she does release an album this year, and nothing on it is like "I Am Woman".

Yeah. I am kind of here for her though (assuming what she releases is decent). I have been listening to Tattoo again lately, and I still enjoy it.

Yeah. I am kind of here for her though (assuming what she releases is decent). I have been listening to Tattoo again lately, and I still enjoy it.
Oh man, "Tattoo" is such a jam. I could go on and on and list the songs I like from her, but I don't want to bore you, lol.

By the way, great avatar! Kelly avatars are always the best. :)

Oh man, "Tattoo" is such a jam. I could go on and on and list the songs I like from her, but I don't want to bore you, lol.

By the way, great avatar! Kelly avatars are always the best. :)

Trying to come up with a PLU themed one lol, but it is too hard to get Kelly AND the text to fit on the ghetto 120/100 still avatars this site uses.
b80efe23.gif

As to Jordin. I never did buy her album, maybe I will pick it up. All I really know is Tattoo and No Air (which I do not use for obvious reasons).

Bladenic

Trying to come up with a PLU themed one lol, but it is too hard to get Kelly AND the text to fit on the ghetto 120/100 still avatars this site uses.
b80efe23.gif

As to Jordin. I never did buy her album, maybe I will pick it up. All I really know is Tattoo and No Air (which I do not use for obvious reasons).

No Air was so good. I still jam if I hear it on the radio because that's old Chris Brown (unless I'm remembering wrong?).

Just a damn MESS.

All her bangers since 4............ so, Run The World.

Run The World is disjointed yes, but that's unique to that one song. Again, if you're going after her "bangers" in general then there's only one real banger on 4 and that's the only thing on that album that's disjointed. It doesn't mean she just doesn't know how to make a cohesive song anymore, lol.

It sounds like you're using your hatred for Run The World (the last uptempo single she's released) as a general consensus on her as an uptempo singer. Don't let that happen.

Grown Woman doesn't sound disjointed, it sounds dynamic. That's the difference between what I hear of Grown Woman so far and my assessment of Run The World.

Also, Run The World's crazy changes mid-song make for some maaaaad awesome moments in the club. That song is ridiculously fun to dance to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom