• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Little Monsters please go here and do your part http://time100.time.com/2013/04/11/face-off-whos-the-most-influential/

tumblrlz3bg5mqke1r8knfu.gif

Bladenic

Bless Bey for realizing that nobody was here for Run From the Flop 2.0. Good luck with getting another Single Ladies though, I think those times are far behind her. Anything is possible though. At least she realizes 2008 was the last time she had a massive hit.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~

I actually really liked the song until the shy ronnie bit
And was that dom from Mad men at the end?

How can she beat obama yet be loosing to Aan Sun Suu Kyi?
Aan is truly inspirational, why she doesn't get as much coverage as Nelson mandela baffles me

Bless Bey for realizing that nobody was here for Run From the Flop 2.0. Good luck with getting another Single Ladies though, I think those times are far behind her. Anything is possible though. At least she realizes 2008 was the last time she had a massive hit.

Do we really think that Beyonce can't churn out a number one hit now? Are we not seeing how she's been in the tabloids literally all year so far? Lol

Bladenic

Do we really think that Beyonce can't churn out a number one hit now? Are we not seeing how she's been in the tabloids literally all year so far? Lol

Tabloids are a good measure of someone's ability to get hit singles? Then I guess Lindsay Lohan better record another song before heading back to rehab.

Not that I don't think she can't get another #1 single. She probably can and will as long as the lead single doesn't suck. I meant more that I doubt she can get another Single Ladies.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Not you forgetting the 4 era ever existed. No single clocked top 10. It's not a foregone conclusion that she can clock a #1.

Tabloids are a good measure of someone's ability to get hit singles? Then I guess Lindsay Lohan better record another song before heading back to rehab.

Not that I don't think she can't get another #1 single. She probably can and will as long as the lead single doesn't suck. I meant more that I doubt she can get another Single Ladies.

No, it's a matter of pop culture capital; if you have great exposure in the mainstream context the chances of your new single getting attention and discussion goes up exponentially. It's why Mirrors is still latching on to top 10 even though the song itself doesn't necessarily fit well with radio or contemporary pop. A single headlined by a big name will more likely than not increase your chances of success. See Born This Way, or most Rihanna singles since Loud.

Single Ladies wasn't as unique a situation as we're making it seem. It was a catchy enough song that was paired with a SPECTACULAR video. The video's what sold it, not so much the song itself. Beyonce's eye for iconography in her music videos is probably top dog in the industry, so I'm sure she can sell another Single Ladies-calibre scenario if she really wants to. Hell, I'm sure if Grown Woman was paired with a music video featuring an infectious dance routine she'll have another major hit on her hands. For someone like her or Gaga, if the material is at least kinda there, then the rest will most likely follow. The reason 4 didn't smash charts was because the material wasn't really presented well. Like at all. If she at leasts gives her single breathing room and a good video to cap it off then she's set.

Not you forgetting the 4 era ever existed. No single clocked top 10. It's not a foregone conclusion that she can clock a #1.

As I've mentioned (endlessly), people won't buy new music if they aren't aware of its existence. A headlining single is what sells albums right now. She barely promoted Run The World and quickly moved on to 1+1, then Love On Top, then Countdown. Anyone who followed that scatter-brained promo plan would have sold as much as 4 did (if not less).

Bladenic

While I agree that the 4 promo plan was scattered (which makes me think Beyonce was getting too comfortable/cocky), Run the World did have a good amount of promo. It just flopped. The rest of the singles beside Best Thing were more flops because no promo, not necessarily that they just flopped.

Sai-kun

Banned
Why is Jessie Ware devotion show up in new releases on spotify? Was it just added today?

It's actually just out recently in the US. We never get UK/outside the US releases on Spotify. It's really annoying.

Now I can finally listen to Jessie Ware on my phone now, though! About time.

Also, that Halcyon Remixtape is fucking amazing. They managed to take so many shitty songs (like Dead in the Water and Explosions!) and actually make them really, really good. I wish I could get split tracks for this.

Mau ®

LOL Don't fool yourselves! The "4" era had major promo:

+ Headlining GLASTONBURY
+ Plenty of magazine covers
+ AMERICAN IDOL Finals
+ BILLBOARD performance (which slayed tbh!)
+ The year of 4 doc
+ VMA performance
+ Pregnancy annoucement (and subsequent drama)
+ She released like 8 singles ALL WITH VIDEOS

And LBR... All the promo she's done this year IS STILL IN SUPPORT of 4.

Bladenic

Just bought Yung Rapunxel before checking Spotify. Sure enough, it's already up on Spotify. That homophobe got my coins though.

Song is slaying though.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Just bought Yung Rapunxel before checking Spotify. Sure enough, it's already up on Spotify. That homophobe got my coins though.

Song is slaying though.

yes stan for the homophobe

also I cant believe you like Fall Down
only the chorus is semi good for me and thats basically because of Miley
e7c8e635.gif

While I agree that the 4 promo plan was scattered (which makes me think Beyonce was getting too comfortable/cocky), Run the World did have a good amount of promo. It just flopped. The rest of the singles beside Best Thing were more flops because no promo, not necessarily that they just flopped.

Run The World got promo well after it started its downward trajectory on the charts. There was also a great deal of confusion as to whether it was an official first single or just a promo single, considering that it didn't get any pre-release hype or a major performance to coincide with its release, which already set a low benchmark from the start. But I do think that Run The World is sort of a "Judas" situation where the song just wasn't right as a single. I think if she released End of Time or Countdown first with at least one promotional scheme to coincide with its release (and not well after) then she would have most likely scored a number 1 hit.

4 wasn't devoid of promo; its promo was just marketing 101 fail. She seemed to be promoting an unfocused record, given how she went from performing 1+1 on American Idol to releasing a video for Best Thing I Never Had to performing Run The World at the Billboard awards to releasing a video for 1+1 to performing Love On Top at the VMAs to releasing a video for Countdown. With every release she made it was like starting from scratch because she killed her own momentum every time.

I know that her goal was to sell the album itself and not just two or three singles, which was why she tried to get as many songs off the album out to the public as she can. The problem with that is that while many will end up buying the album, the era itself wasn't artist-defining in any way nor did it hold any impact in the grand scheme of things. Singles are meant to be vehicles to promoting an album, and she decided to skip the singles thing entirely and just go for selling an album. It's a daunting task, and it showed.

Bladenic

yes stan for the homophobe

also I cant believe you like Fall Down
only the chorus is semi good for me and thats basically because of Miley
e7c8e635.gif

I can't believe it either. Well the chorus is all I like about it, and the beat.

I'm excited for Miley's new shit though. I can't with me anticipating both Miley and Demi. Your impact.

ibp5YOXjswhNrC.gif

botty

Banned
LOL Don't fool yourselves! The "4" era had major promo:

+ Headlining GLASTONBURY
+ Plenty of magazine covers
+ AMERICAN IDOL Finals
+ BILLBOARD performance (which slayed tbh!)
+ The year of 4 doc
+ VMA performance
+ Pregnancy annoucement (and subsequent drama)
+ She released like 8 singles ALL WITH VIDEOS

And LBR... All the promo she's done this year IS STILL IN SUPPORT of 4.

When you put it that way, it makes it seem as if we might be getting a 4 re-release similar to The re-up. That way she can put out a few songs, package it with 4, and call it a new era...sorta.

ie4VDEHaOakDU.gif

CRS

Why is Jessie Ware devotion show up in new releases on spotify? Was it just added today?
It's technically a new release here in the US. It was actually on Spotify for a little while when it was released in the UK but because of the Big Pun sampling issues for 110%, it got taken down. Just now after re-doing the sample and re-naming the track, it got a "re-release" in the States with a new song a couple of remixes.
It's actually just out recently in the US. We never get UK/outside the US releases on Spotify. It's really annoying.

Now I can finally listen to Jessie Ware on my phone now, though! About time.

#aWare

I just need to buy the UK Gold edition from her site to have every version of the album.

DMeisterJ

Banned
When you put it that way, it makes it seem as if we might be getting a 4 re-release similar to The re-up. That way she can put out a few songs, package it with 4, and call it a new era...sorta.

ie4VDEHaOakDU.gif

The tea was already clocked that all that was ever happening was a 4 ReRelease. It's just surprising it hasn't happened before the tour started.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
dkgaskldgilasnvilusRNVIOUABVG

Load faster you shitty youtube

ITS FLAWLESS

iqHtk96ggcJYZ.gif

botty

Banned
The illuminati stuff was done tastefully, imo. Like Gaga's illuminati stuff at the VMAs. As long as you do it right, I don't care if you're injecting my brain with secret devil worshipping messages.

The parts with her eyes rapping, and the owls was nice too.

Matt_

Whole video seemed really well done
Seems like she's finally got a budget for her stuff, which is good

The part with her on the bull made me kiii too

Bladenic

The illuminati stuff was done tastefully, imo. Like Gaga's illuminati stuff at the VMAs. As long as you do it right, I don't care if you're injecting my brain with secret devil worshipping messages.

The parts with her eyes rapping, and the owls was nice too.

Agreed. The bull riding and parts with soldiers with her kind of but not really clocking them with bottles were meh though.

Matt_

Agreed. The bull riding and parts with soldiers with her kind of but not really clocking them with bottles were meh though.

Riot section would have worked if it was more than just her against them
Kind of like the run the world video but on a smaller scale

She needs to get some form of promo on itunes too
on the uk store she hasn't even got a little thumbnail, but glee has managed to get like 8 D:

SaintZ

The part of the "riot" was my least favorite part too, it just seemed... there. I liked the bull tho. She was serving some Sin City realness.

Matt_

This is probably the one time I'm hoping the new Hot 100 rules will have a positive impact
I can't see YP getting much in the way of radio play so its completely up to views, streaming and sales
Let's hope it gets her up the chart
or at least on it, kiii

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Brrrrrrrrrr-Brrrp-Brrrp-Brrrrp
Just let me pop my shit, let me hit that weed!
And sip that - aye niggas? what?!
What the fuck?
Dare you ta, dare you ta
Brrrrrrrrrr-Brrrp-Brrrp-Brrrrp
Let a bitch nigga drop, bet the bitch ain't barking like me
Well niggas? What the fuck
Dare you ta, dare you ta

ib00C18WbOJoGl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom