• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Q

ec20fb7f.gif

U

ec20fb7f.gif

E

ec20fb7f.gif

E

ec20fb7f.gif

N

ec20fb7f.gif

is coming.

ibmLgv1jpfUDTG.gif

It will slay lives and careers.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Billboard interviews Grimes:
Claire Boucher -- better known as Grimes -- is already in the thick of recording the follow-up to her 2012 breakout "Visions."

In an interview prior to her performance at the 2013 Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival last weekend, Boucher gave details on the upcoming album, which promises to push her musical project in an intriguing, hi-fi direction. 

"I'm probably like two-fifths done," says Boucher of the album's progress. "I know that's a weird number. I'm more than one-third but less than two-thirds, but I'm not one-half but I'm more than one-quarter."

Aside from rattling off fractions, Boucher said that she plans to take her latest endeavor to the next level production-wise: "I feel like it's a step up. I'm really trying to have it sound professional. As a producer, I'm trying to challenge myself to just make something that is of a professional quality – not necessarily pop music, but maybe in the sense that Nine Inch Nails is professional quality."

Grimes added that while prepping for the album, she's been listening to a variety of artists in order to seek out inspiration. She cited Paramore and Enya as being her current influences and explained that – as always – she's striving for a different sound on this next release. "The album is experimental in its own right," she says, "but in terms of fidelity and stuff, it's also very strong. So that's where I'm trying to go."

Boucher treated her weekend-one Coachella audience to a new level of onstage energy. The experimental songstress stepped away from her usual spot behind her keyboard/synthesizer stand and danced around -- with the help of a brand-new wireless mic.

Boucher tells us that Coachella marks her final show that is "100 percent in support of 'Visions.'" Following a few summer festivals, she plans to continue work on the album, which she would ideally like to release sometime this fall. Instead of heading into a studio, however, she plans to record at home.

"I work in my bedroom but I'm making a studio," says Boucher. "Honestly, it's cheaper for me to build a studio than to rent a studio so I'm in the process. I just got really nice monitors and I just got a really nice vocal mic a couple of days ago, so I'm just building that."

The Montreal native will be producing the record entirely herself, but will bring in an outsider for help with the mixing process. She shot down rumors of possible collaborations on the new Grimes disc, but added that she's extremely open to working with artists on their own projects. "When I'm making a song that's very Grimes, it just feels very insular and it feels weird to have someone else do something on it," she says.

She is coming.
883bd1bb.gif

botty

Banned
I didn't wanna say it lol.

I think Marius thinks I drags his favs too much.

Well, he has admitted, on occasion, that he doesn't have good taste. Maybe he doesn't mind too much.

----------

Oh... @royalan, you might be disappointed with this news :(

Christina Aguilera MIA at Rock Hall of Fame Show, But Donna Summer-Lover Jennifer Hudson Suffices

When this year's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction is broadcast on HBO May 18, you can "dim all the lights" on any hopes of seeing Christina Aguilera sing in tribute to Donna Summer. Though previously advertised as a musical guest who'd be saluting the late disco queen, Aguilera was an unexplained no-show at Thursday night's ceremony, leaving curious attendees to wonder whether she'd lost her voice on top of temporarily abandoning her "Voice" post.

That left it up to planned partner Jennifer Hudson to go it solo and work doubly hard for the money...at about half her former size, judging from the skintight bodysuit she wore while serenading the crowd with a medley of "Bad Girls" and "Last Dance." Hudson looked like she was on her way to the Bob Mackie Hall of Fame ceremony in this glittery outfit, but even the Rush fanatics who packed L.A.'s Nokia Theatre for the show weren't complaining, about either her sexy get-up or the high notes she expertly hit at the climax of "Dance."

itkverekmbrvT.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
So you'll be here for it?

883bd1bb.gif

perhaps I use some and some I dont depending on how catchy it is, just saying since Emblem 3's single sucks

and not even going to get into a taste debate since I think most of the elevator music that
is posted here is trash

ilRjlVCieFOQI.gif

botty

Banned
perhaps I use some and some I dont depending on how catchy it is, just saying since Emblem 3's single sucks

and not even going to get into a taste debate since I think most of the elevator music that
is posted here is trash

ilRjlVCieFOQI.gif

Well, Emblem 3 were destined to be shit. They aren't talented, and lacked a zayn (which is what every band needs to be successful). 5H at least has talent, and they seem to know what kind of music will fit them best—I am basing this on their covers, and that one Ellie performance during X factor.

As far as taste debates go... I think only Robido and godels are actually serious when judging people's taste; and there is some deep-seated irony to be found from that. I would just say, and this is just my observation, that you're taste lean more towards "fun" music, if that makes sense.

iWnGz3Ltgpg9L.gif

Bladenic

TBH lately every track any artist poops out seems to go #1 on the chart. Kelly has had 4 #1's on the chart in the last yeah as I recall.....even Dark Side went #1 I believe.

These are remixes right? I mean, Dark Side in a club? Fuck that. Although I assume that they play the song on top of a dance/house mix, in which case I can see it, I guess.

These are remixes right? I mean, Dark Side in a club? Fuck that. Although I assume that they play the song on top of a dance/house mix, in which case I can see it, I guess.

Yup remixes.

Just checked and I was right. Catch My Breath, Stronger, and Dark Side all went #1.

botty

Banned
I saw this earlier today and wept a little.

But then it was announced that she's performing at the TIME most influential people event in 4 days. *.*

Oh, yes. I heard about that. I don't know what she is going to sing, though. Probably Beautiful, or something else token.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
What is this Fifth Harmony nonsense? I'm on my third cover by them, and I'm still unimpressed.

I'm loving this Red video though. The cover is awful, but these girls.. You've got the two who are vying for attention, and I sort of want to smack both of them -- especially latino hat girl. There's the black chick on the front/right that I'm actually looking at, even though she's just sort of sitting there, not trying too hard, doing her thing; I could like her. There's the hair bow girl in the front/left who I feel like might be the Howie of the group (so-so voice, completely forgettable). And then there's the pretty black girl at the back/left who is doing a good job, and I want to like...if I remember to actually look at her and pay attention.

The last girl groups I really loved were the Spice Girls and TLC. I'd rather see some of our faves give us an epic Lady Marmalade-esque collab than see a few mediocre girls who can't make it on their own band together.

botty

Banned
Four of the girls are hispanic (Ally, Dinah, the other two), and only one of them is black (Normani). Dinah has the strongest vocal capability, Ally has the best falsetto, the one girl who tries a lot has a distinctly unique voice—I think that's Camilla— and Normani is probably the most well rounded of them vocally.

You should watch their "Anything Could Happen" X Factor performance for them doing something iconic. And to be fair to them, they have been covering mediocre songs (Stay, Red, a Frank Ocean song) which is why they aren't really moving people too far. They really should try to cover something that might be vocally challenging, like a Whitney, Mariah, or Legendtina song. Hell, there might even be a Kelly Clarkson song, that has some kind of vocal challenge out there, which they could attempt.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Four of the girls are hispanic (Ally, Dinah, the other two), and only one of them is black (Normani).
Ah, well, please pardon my ignorant whiteness then. It was the easiest way to differentiate them all from each other without wasting my time looking up their names.

Dinah has the strongest vocal capability, Ally has the best falsetto, the one girl who tries a lot has a distinctly unique voice—I think that's Camilla— and Normani is probably the most well rounded of them vocally.

You should watch their "Anything Could Happen" X Factor performance for them doing something iconic. And to be fair to them, they have been covering mediocre songs (Stay, Red, a Frank Ocean song) which is why they aren't really moving people too far. They really should try to cover something that might be vocally challenging, like a Whitney, Mariah, or Legendtina song. Hell, there might even be a Kelly Clarkson song, that has some kind of vocal challenge out there, which they could attempt.
Are these the girls that covered Stronger? I never watched the video, but I remember one of the groups doing it. Might have been X Factor UK or something though.

royalan

Oh, yes. I heard about that. I don't know what she is going to sing, though. Probably Beautiful, or something else token.

I'm hoping she sings some of this new music she's rumored to be recording, and formally announces Lotus: The Re-Up and the Surviving Under Harshest Conditions World Tour. *.*

Who am I kidding? She's going to go up there, sing Beautiful in her housecoat, and bounce. ;___; Still a legend, tho.

Four of the girls are hispanic (Ally, Dinah, the other two), and only one of them is black (Normani). Dinah has the strongest vocal capability, Ally has the best falsetto, the one girl who tries a lot has a distinctly unique voice—I think that's Camilla— and Normani is probably the most well rounded of them vocally.

Dinah is Tongan, sis.

botty

Banned
I'm hoping she sings some of this new music she's rumored to be recording, and formally announces Lotus: The Re-Up and the Surviving Under Harshest Conditions World Tour. *.*

Who am I kidding? She's going to go up there, sing Beautiful in her housecoat, and bounce. ;___; Still a legend, tho.

Yup. I am not even gonna hype myself up for that.

Dinah is Tongan, sis.

Oh, oop~

Not to sound racist or anything, but when she said she had a house full of siblings, I thought she was mexican.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom