• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

my favorite label for Christina is RCA
ibif838z4mrADf.gif

iKkU8Jap6KJMM.gif

royalan

I have been waiting 5 OTs for Beyhive vs. Little Monsters...

If it weren't for Gaga Beyonce would have no current hits!

It's not Beyonce's fault that Gaga idolizes her so much!

Let's GO!

iqw7P6nuM3PdN.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Basing only snippets vs. nothing, seems legit.

Call me when Kleptoncé isn't recycling 2003 or her younger sis.

I said I was almost certain. 4 and the shit we got from Beyonce this era are just out of this world. Not many people are going to match it in quality, let alone surpass it. Gaga has 1 great album and has only been around for like 4 years. ha stans are so cocky ch...

royalan

I would just like to point out that it has taken two years (and counting) of non-stop promotion for Bey to get 4's sales to that paltry two million. No matter how you slice it, that's embarrassing for an artist of her caliber.

But don't let me interrupt. Carry on.

irHdhhqOEgBgz.gif

Artemisia

Banned
Most artists would kill to move 2 million units of their flop album with no top 10 single. The power of a true music icon.

EDIT: Speaking of flop albums:

UK Charts:

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-30%20at%203.43.33%20AM.png

nnnnn she deserves better than this.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I would just like to point out that it has taken two years (and counting) of non-stop promotion for Bey to get 4's sales to that paltry two million. No matter how you slice it, that's embarrassing for an artist of her caliber.

But don't let me interrupt. Carry on.

irHdhhqOEgBgz.gif
If sales of 2 million is embarrassing for an artist of her calibre, what's less than 1 million total sales over two albums for the 'voice of the generation'?

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Most artists would kill to move 2 million units of their flop album with no top 10 single. The power of a true music icon.

EDIT: Speaking of flop albums:

UK Charts:

Screen%20Shot%202013-04-30%20at%203.43.33%20AM.png

nnnnn she deserves better than this.

Considering that the majority of material on the album was previously released I'm not surprised
Deluxe remix tracks were mostly shite too

Bladenic

If sales of 2 million is embarrassing for an artist of her calibre, what's less than 1 million total sales over two albums for the 'voice of the generation'?

Oh.

iXrQiJJxrbXI5.gif

I need to hear more before I decide which songs I like better, but thus far, nothing from Bey surpasses Stache for me. Again, I need full studio versions first.

DMeisterJ

Banned
1. RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 177.790 (+ 0.554)

#1 Song on Radio

Radio Queen
ibif838z4mrADf.gif

Isn't Diamonds Tour on pace to do better than The 4lop Experience Tour? Poor Beyhive.

i9MHzM2pKgVRy.gif

The 4 tour is actually clocking a ton of sold out shows (much like the Diamonds World Tour). It will be up to who plays more dates since their ticket prices are comparable. Rih has the slight advantage that she is playing 10 stadium dates this tour while Bey is playing 0 and a stadium can hold 3-4 times most arenas.

Bladenic

1. RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 177.790 (+ 0.554)

#1 Song on Radio

Radio Queen
ibif838z4mrADf.gif

The 4 tour is actually clocking a ton of sold out shows (much like the Diamonds World Tour). It will be up to who plays more dates since their ticket prices are comparable. Rih has the slight advantage that she is playing 10 stadium dates this tour while Bey is playing 0 and a stadium can hold 3-4 times most arenas.

Can't even book a stadium. The last time she had a #1 on radio was 2008. This complete lack of impact or demand.

i9MHzM2pKgVRy.gif

MarkusRJR

Tried to enter this thread 5 times on my phone causing the browser to crash each time before I just ended up turning off GIFs on mobile GAF. Dem GIFs be cray.

Pop-GAF, can you prove to me there is good pop out there? I tend to hate all the pop music on the radio, but some of my friends keep telling me there are all of these more obscure pop artists which are good. I'm more into mellow alternative and indie music, but can you guys guide me towards some quality pop music that might interest me?

Majmun

Tried to enter this thread 5 times on my phone causing the browser to crash each time before I just ended up turning off GIFs on mobile GAF. Dem GIFs be cray.

Pop-GAF, can you prove to me there is good pop out there? I tend to hate all the pop music on the radio, but some of my friends keep telling me there are all of these more obscure pop artists which are good. I'm more into mellow alternative and indie music, but can you guys guide me towards some quality pop music that might interest me?

Well, there's nothing to prove because there's alot of great pop music out there. This is a fact.

But if you like mellow obscure alternative/indie pop artist, I'd recommend

- Grimes
- Jessie Ware
- Lana del Rey
- Janelle Monaé
- Kimbra
- Katie B

All these artists have amazing discographies.

Trigger

Pop-GAF, can you prove to me there is good pop out there?

We can't validate a whole genre. If something doesn't appeal to you then it just doesn't appeal to you.

I tend to hate all the pop music on the radio, but some of my friends keep telling me there are all of these more obscure pop artists which are good. I'm more into mellow alternative and indie music, but can you guys guide me towards some quality pop music that might interest me?

What artists do you like? Mellow and indie are a bit vague.

Aguila

#ICONIC

Maybe you'll like AlunaGeorge:

Analyser
Just A Touch
Attracting Flies

how about Sky Ferreira:

Everything Is Embarrassing
Sad Dream

Solange?:

Losing You
Don't Let Me Down

Let the Queen of Alternative Pop enter your soul:

Summertime Sadness
Blue Jeans
Video Games

MarkusRJR

We can't validate a whole genre. If something doesn't appeal to you then it just doesn't appeal to you.
Well it's not that it doesn't appeal to me, it's just that mainstream pop doesn't... aka everything on the radio.

And there are already some artists I like that are sorta already pop like Lumineers, Of Monsters and Men, Fun, Phoenix, etc.

I dunno. It was really loud, but I DEFINITELY heard the chorus to that terrible song.

I'm sorry, I just don't get it.

I know people expect Beyonce shade from me, but I admitted to liking what we've heard of Standing in the Sun.

But Grown Woman just sounds fucking awful to me. It just has no point. Obvious lyrics are a staple of pop bangers, but even still the lyrics are too heavy-handed and not really catchy outside of repeating the same damn statement over and over. And if the studio version is anything like what she's peddling in her tour, the ending completely falls apart.

Based on what we've heard, if GW is the lead single I think it's the weakest single she's EVER led an era with. Yes, even weaker than that rancid Run The World (Girls) mess...

There's an obvious point to Grown Woman that was somewhat lost with Run The World, and it's through the lyrics that are, duh, esoteric, but it's quippy, direct, and bubbly. It's much more focused than Run The World's lyrics, which were obviously scattered on purpose but it was still kind of sloppy in its execution (especially when she counters her directness with "boy I'm just playin', come here baby...," which is just so schizo). Also, it's laced with hooks EVERYWHERE. It's a lot more anthemic than Run The World because it seems like a larger song, from the chants to the backup singers to the "I'm a grooooown woman" croons. It's just so damn feel-good. I just wanna strut it the fuck out to this song. And that breakdown: "If you got a cute face and yo booty so fat GO GURLLL *ass shake*"... I can't ;__;

Grown Woman has a similar spirit to Single Ladies in so far that it's much more of a call to action but does it without sacrificing focus or hook quality. Single Ladies is compact, direct, catchy and simple. Run The World was hardly simple or compact, and because of that it was less catchy of a song. Grown Woman is BIGGER than either song (which serves it well), but still retains its focus and practically doubles down on hooks.

Standing On The Sun so far sounds like a song Sia wrote for anyone and Bey just snatched it up; but I'm sure she'll make it better than it is with her amazing vocals.

EDIT: Monsters coming for Beyhive don't even get me started. Gaga and Beyonce are the Zeus and Hera of this town, and pitting them against each other is foolishness because they're practically partners in crime. They each own one half of the general pop scene and they will NOT be compared and contrasted.

Also it's better not to have me pick one over the other and end up collapsing into myself like a dying star.

Nemesis_

I am scared that Bey is starting to grow on me because I always find myself humming her beats and what not whenever I'm doing nothing.

But even if I were to become a stan I would have to be incredibly select as not all of her music appeals to me.

BASS

808s

JAY

DMeisterJ

Banned
I am scared that Bey is starting to grow on me because I always find myself humming her beats and what not whenever I'm doing nothing.

But even if I were to become a stan I would have to be incredibly select as not all of her music appeals to me.

BASS

808s

JAY

There is no problem with stanning Dangerously in Love/B'Day Bey. But stanning I Am... boring and 4lop is um....

yeah.

Majmun

I can somehow understand the I Am hate. But hating on 4 always baffles me.

- Love on Top
- Countdown
- Party
- End of Time
- I Miss You
- Schoolin' Life

..all shit on discographies.

Nemesis_

On a very quick skim (keep in mind I haven't sat down and properly listened to her disco)

Dangerously in Love:

1.) Crazy In Love (
Is this the strongest debut for a solo career or what?
)
2.) Naughty Girl
3.) Baby Boy​

B'Day

1.) Green Light
2.) Deja Vu
3.) Ring The Alarm​

I Am...

1.) Halo
2.) Broken Hearted Girl
3.) Diva​

1.) I Care
2.) I Miss You
3.) Countdown
4.) I Was Here​

So yeah. It's not a huge amount of songs so I wouldn't say it constitutes a stan. I feel like Bey's highs are really high tbh but there's not enough of them for her to impress me as much as she should.

iHdLZTBD4Og0t.gif

Dangerously In Love is dated as fuck, much like most of The Fame's non-singles.

There is no problem with stanning Dangerously in Love/B'Day Bey. But stanning I Am... boring and 4lop is um....

yeah.

4 >>>>>>> B'Day = Sasha Fierce >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Dangerously In Love
>> The Fame

I know what I'm talking about. I listen to these albums every day. Including DIL ;__;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom