• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artemisia

Banned
I have no idea if it's any good, but the new Little Boots album is streaming on Pitchfork Advance.

34KYIxx.png

ok, time to give this gerl another chance.

Mau ®

Obama's daughter attended a DIAMONDS WORLD TOUR date with her friends

The Obama Family might be supporting Beyoncé from the outside, but it's clear who their daughters actually check for once they drop all pretenses
883bd1bb.gif

royalan

It is actually really impressive how Christina's still fostered goodwill with pop fans and the mainstream even though her last two albums came and went without much attention. The conclusion seems to be that Bionic and Lotus fell on deaf ears but didn't hurt her legacy or status in any way; in the minds of the general population she's still on standby, sort of how Justin had been prior to releasing 20/20. That's the benefit of releasing unpopular material versus unliked material; Bionic and Lotus got average reviews but as far as most people's perspective is concerned they might as well have not existed. To most, her last album was Back To Basics.

I could easily see a future album of hers doing really well ala 20/20 but the question is WHAT kind of material she would have to work with. Unlike Justin, Beyonce or Britney, Christina doesn't have a niche sound. She's more like Madonna and Rihanna in the sense that her personality and image has been the engine behind her success rather than a certain sound that she's stuck to career-wide. All of her albums are dramatically different and because of that there isn't a certain flavor that she can fall back on and guarantee success because what worked for her then was heavily contextual and the timing was absolutely critical.

I would personally love to see her go the Adele route and pump out great mid to low tempo material, but I don't feel like that's serving her as well because I know that she loves esoteric lyrics and, well, being a flirty skank. I feel like I'm the only Christina stan who finds her weakest output to be ballads, but in the general scheme of things I think that would serve her best on today's charts. I hope she finds the right formula soon, as it's hard to gauge how she'll perform until the material itself is heard, and how it fits into the contemporary.

I agree with all of this.

I don't think Christina needs to go as torchy as Adele, but I do think she should go back to her mature Back To Basics sound. That sound was everything. Mature yet sexy. Bold and beautiful. Chunky yet funky. And, most importantly, uniquely her.

There's a lot said about her collaborations with Linda Perry and Sia, and those two women do get Xtina, but I think DJ Premier is the only producer who not only got Christina, but knew how to make her work. The loud, brassy production in Ain't No Other Man allowed Christina to open up and sing in the way she likes (in the way that only she can) without getting those pesky "oversinging" criticisms. And songs like Without You showcased her tender side. DJ Premier showed us many different sides of Xtina, while at the same time producing her most mature, most COHESIVE body of work to date. Saddens me that she hasn't worked with him since.

I think an evolution of disc 1 of BTB would really work for her. Not to mention that sound is currently trending.

Majmun

Obama's daughters won't even know who Rihanna is anymore once Mrs. Carter sets foot on American soil.
883bd1bb.gif

The president and his family are huge Bey fans. Wouldn't be suprising if even the president attends one of Bey's concerts.

royalan

Obama's daughters won't even know who Rihanna is anymore once Mrs. Carter sets foot on American soil.
883bd1bb.gif

The president and his family are huge Bey fans. Wouldn't be suprising if even the president attends one of Bey's concerts.

Wanting to commit adultery with Bey (if they haven't boinked already) isn't the same as being a fan.

Bladenic

I just heard the full Crazy In Love cover by Emeli Sande... Now I aint feeling it as much as I thought I would. The instrumentalization its amazing tho.

https://soundcloud.com/igamusic/emeli-sand-the-bryan-ferry

I had a feeling both songs being redone would suck. I was right about B2(being)B but I will wait to see about Crazy in Love.

At least the original songs all slay. Lana punched every pussy and dick out of the game.

ibeJmzJbI2RV0n.gif

Majmun

Lol at Emehli's rendition of CiL. Sounds like a circus track. Not digging it.

André and Beyoncé did a much better job with their cover. B2B remake is legit awesome. Still waiting for the untagged version.

Bladenic

Lol at Emehli's rendition of CiL. Sounds like a circus track. Not digging it.

André and Beyoncé did a much better job with their cover. B2B remake is awesome legit

Back To being Black is shit and you will deal. Amy is probably convulsing in her grave, the poor dear.

i9MHzM2pKgVRy.gif

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Wasn't it supposed to come out the day after the song released? What kind of Azealia missed opportunity schedule?

It was meant to be Monday from last week. I think the problem is not on Lana's side but probably WB wanting to hold it a bit closer to the release.

As for Emeli Sande cover she basically stays most of the time on the same tone making it uninteresting. Her highs are what you can consider weak in comparisons to the original and gives you the same problem B2B where the artist doing the cover doesnt reach the things the original artists does. By no means bad covers but they could have been more.

EDIT: IMO CIL>B2B anyways. (If you take out Andre 3000 its a tie basically)

Majmun

The issue with the CiL cover is that Emehli is copying Bey's style almost exactly, right to the pronunciation. And you can't win from Bey when it comes to that.

André and Bey have made a totally different song. And the production is more interesting too

IMO

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
This Little Boots album is really mediocre.

Mediocre its an understatement.

The issue with the CiL cover is that Emehli is copying Bey's style almost exactly, right to the pronunciation. And you can't win from Bey when it comes to that.

André and Bey have made a totally different song. And the production is more interesting too

IMO

I actually feel Emeli didnt copied Beyonce otherwise she would be going higher in a lot of areas and she was being even more playful while Beyonce was going more on the fierce I'm gonna claw my nails on the bitch near the guy that has me crazy in love kind of thing. Problem is that Emeli basically stays on the same place singing and when she sorta tries to go higher its a weak effort. As mentioned before Andre 3000 part on Back To Black dragged the song down and ruined what could have been a decent production despite Bey not giving her all on the song. Overall both covers are weak compared to the original songs from Siasus, Florencesus and Allahna Del Rey.

But where is her tribal face sticker?

Anthony Mandler is starting to re-use a lot of his imagery from past videos. I'm seeing similar concepts here from his work on "Only Girl" and "Diamonds".

It looks beautiful, nonetheless.

Oop. Is there anything about this campaign that will make me stop believing this was a rihjected Rihanna song?

Mau ®

Rihanna's texas tour dates for the DIAMONDS WORLD TOUR have been RIHscheduled. Dallas is now set for November 11th and Houston for November 14th.

The tea going around is that it coincides with her South America leg, so she'll probabbly go from Texas to Mexico and so on.

Crumpet get on it!!!

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Not feeling the Emeli Sande cover at all
Shame too as I loved the snippet

The only weak point in my opinion is Stranger. Shake is so amazing. Beat Beat is so awesome too. SO DISCO.

Haven't actually finished the album yet
Got hungry and went to go get some food, and now I'm having pitchfork struggles
5zvrU.png

Bladenic

Rihanna's texas tour dates for the DIAMONDS WORLD TOUR have been RIHscheduled. Dallas is now set for November 11th and Houston for November 14th.

The tea going around is that it coincides with her South America leg, so she'll probabbly go from Texas to Mexico and so on.

Crumpet get on it!!!

That is so far away. This tour is really going on for a while huh?

DMeisterJ

Banned

Crumpet get on it!!!

And they said Rih cancelled those shows!

Poor hive. The slayage is starting to wear thin on their brain.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
A britney/gaga collab?

ibck8rCRDYXQHl.gif

The impending mess that would be be the other girls careers...

iMzey0S4NQR5k.gif

I'm not too hopeful

Matt_

Could you imagine the hype if it was both their lead single into new eras?
I'm not sure I could handle it

Cynosure

Britney and Gaga are working at the same studio properly on their own albums but you never know
8f70c6ea.gif

for gaga's sake, I pray this ends up being a lie

Broken Spearit is will taint all acclaim Gaga has achieved and jeopardize Artpop's success

isngAyjsXczPR.gif

My fave has already done a collab with Britney. It went to #1
f58a8b71.gif

was it worth the consequence?

the strong momentum Loud era had going immediately died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom