• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Marius said:
yeah, Unapologetic is going to fall off the map next year
x

Unapologetic is still in the top 10 albums, and has sold 750k units so far

Drew said:
Which are..? I did not detect a single "smash" on that tragic album, let alone even a WHYB sized hit
x

"Stay" is #3 on the BB Hot 100 when WHYB only made it to #5.

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

Nemesis_

No Doubt have cancelled their tour
But it's not all bad news, I think >_>

Royalan, it's impact

Hi Everyone,

Greetings from the studio in Los Angeles...Yes, that's right, the studio!

While we were traveling the world last year promoting Push And Shove, Gwen mentioned she was inspired to write new music. In December, around the time of our hometown shows, we discussed the idea of starting 2013 by getting back into the studio together. We did so in January and the new music started flowing with unexpected ease. After spending three years recording the last album, this new pace feels incredibly exciting.

We have decided to follow our muse for the time being and focus on this new music that we don't want to stop. So, we will be postponing our tour plans briefly while we endeavor to create something special and inspired. Our goal as a band is to share this new music with you as quickly as possible - both recorded and live on tour.

As always, thank you all for your kind words, incredible support and patience. We promise to keep you updated with photos and videos from the studio, so be sure to follow us on Twitter and Instagram to get the latest updates. We will see you soon!

Love,
Gwen, Tony, Tom, Adrian
No Doubt

iAgt5ScjgIZjW.gif

Bladenic

Well, better postponed that outright cancelled (though I'm sure the weak performance of Push and Shove had some impact).

Now we need that "Lotus tour doesn't exist" announcement.

Mau ®

It's ok tho. No Doubt will soon unleash their Maroon 5-style era and the GP will bow and buy while POPGAF will despair.

royalan

Well, it makes sense.

I wish we WERE getting a Push and Shove Tour since that album is flawless, but it didn't perform well. It just served to remind people that they're still alive. They're recording a follow-up to be released this year, so it really wouldn't make sense to tour Push and Shove. Just wait until the new album is out and tour both.

I'm not mad.

The Bionic tour was "postponed" originally too.

ibuGHEr4Jck1e6.gif

Praying for them

I'm still waiting. The announcement should happen any day now.

#Slayonic

EDIT: Anyone else realizing that today's musical climate seems way harsher on established artists than it used to be? Big artist comebacks are not automatically guaranteed a certain level of success anymore. Justin Timberlake's doing adequately well (with a low-bar single but still), but if this was 2008 Suit & Tie would have smashed way harder due to Justin's name alone.

The only two people whose singles have elevated success because of their names are Rihanna and Taylor Swift, but they're both relatively recent mainstream staples. I think they're both as big as they are because there isn't a big competitor in their respective styles though. Rihanna rose to obscene superstardom as Beyonce's "I Am" era faded out, and she's taken the R&B reigns since then. I'm curious to see how the balance will shift with Beyonce's new release, assuming it actually aims for radio this time instead of staying off the radar like 4 did. If Beyonce decides to focus on her own fanbase again then I can see Rihanna staying at the forefront, because I don't see how the general audience would oust Beyonce for Rihanna if given an equal opportunity to choose. As for Taylor Swift, she's the only pop-country crossover artist and her sound is unique to her. As long as that sub-genre doesn't get crowded she should keep her capital.

As for Justin though, I think there's been enough big staples like Bruno Mars, Frank Ocean etc. to drown out his pizzazz a bit.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
^^^^ shush

Top 10 Digital Songs TOTAL SALES:
1. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis f/ Wanz, "Thrift Shop" 363,000 [3,876,000]
2. Baauer, "Harlem Shake" 297,000 [588,000]
3. Bruno Mars, "When I Was Your Man" 229,000 [1,042,000]
4. Rihanna f/ Mikky Ekko, "Stay" 211,000 [680,000]
5. Drake, "Started From The Bottom" 152,000 [378,000]
6. will.i.am f/ Britney Spears, "Scream & Shout" 140,000 [2,297,000]
7. Justin Timberlake f/ Jay-Z, "Suit & Tie" 135,000 [970,000]
8. One Direction, "One Way Or Another (Teenage Kicks)" 135,000 [242,000]
9. Taylor Swift, "I Knew You Were Trouble." 133,000 [3,641,000]
10. Alicia Keys f/ Nicki Minaj, "Girl On Fire" 109,000 [2,333,000]

Nemesis_

EDIT: Anyone else realizing that today's musical climate seems way harsher on established artists than it used to be?

Mmmhmm. Seems all people is here for is shitty novelty songs tied to awfully done-to-death memes.

ixCLhx56y1Oyu.gif

I am worried for all of our
talented
faves.

Imagine if we had a fave-icide.

iwF3esu5CRcgX.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned

Justine still not plat with S&T #icant

People are much more receptive to discovering new artists on radio, which is healthy in its own right but it comes at the cost of artists who've built up their laurels over the years. The fact that No Doubt's era came and went without much hooplah is evident enough of that. Two things that are working against Gaga's comeback this year are these:

- Overcrowded radio singles from scattered unknowns
- Emerging trends toward pop-folk and country-folk singles.

I was thinking that Bey and Gaga's comebacks will be guaranteed smashes but I'm realizing now that the quality of the lead single is much more critical than it was before.

botty

Banned
I hope Pitbull sends a Thank You letter to Xtina for helping Feel this Moment get so much traction. Only a legend could push that song as high as it currently is. There is a reason why the other single flopped in comparison to Feel this Moment.

DALE!

in2CBeHwDtgUo.gif

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Random things I just want to point out

• Feel This Moment is close to entering the Top 10 on iTunes before a video
  • Girl On Fire will end up outselling Diamonds
  • When I Was Your Man is Bruno's 12th platinum song
  • Demi is not going to able to hold the iTunes gap for long, but it is receiving good updates on radio before actually being sent
  • One Way Or Another is going top 10 on the Hot 100, good enough for a charity single
  • Harlem Shake will fade by the end of next week

tumblr_mea7nryuSD1qjxyeko1_500.jpg

royalan

I hope Pitbull sends a Thank You letter to Xtina for helping Feel this Moment get so much traction. Only a legend could push that song as high as it currently is. There is a reason why the other single flopped in comparison to Feel this Moment.

DALE!

in2CBeHwDtgUo.gif

Charitina Givinglera, her benevolence. *.*

icoKypeOF0b1q.gif
icoKypeOF0b1q.gif
icoKypeOF0b1q.gif

Artemisia

Banned
There is a reason why the other single flopped in comparison to Feel this Moment.

DALE!

in2CBeHwDtgUo.gif

Then what's the reason for every Xtina song flopping unless she's a featured artist? Wait, never mind. Looking through her history as a featured artist, MLJ is an anomaly.

Christina's name as a featured artist holds slightly more power than her as the lead because I think mainstream has discovered that her portfolio as a lead artist isn't very strong or memorable. Her voice is recognizable and iconic but I feel like people don't like it being center stage. Of course, the reason Feel This Moment is doing so well is because the song is catchy as hell, and that's the same case for MLJ. She's made some good choices with her features, but they evidently don't seem to translate into her actual work.

royalan

Christina's solo portfolio is iconic. The only thing wrong with her new material is that she puts absolutely zero effort into improving her situation with radio. There are several songs on Lotus (and even on Bionic) that could have smashed radio. But radio's not going to just play her music, sadly. ;___;

That said, if Feel This Moment smashes I think it'll demonstrate that she DOES have an audience, and it's not just a case of her leaching off another act's popularity. MLJ wasn't a fluke. I think the reason her features smash lately is because she partners with people who have much better relationships with radio. That gets her on a song that's actually on radio and in regular rotation, at which point casual audiences who remember Christina and her stanbase get out there and buy and request the song.

Christina's audience is still there, but fuck if she and her team will ever learn how to properly leverage them for a solo hit. ;____;

botty

Banned
Then what's the reason for every Xtina song flopping unless she's a featured artist? Wait, never mind. Looking through her history as a featured artist, MLJ is an anomaly.

Oh, but Xtina does have success on the charts. To say every Xtina song flops is definitely an exaggeration.

tumblr_madm8lgjwY1rqqk0ko1_100.gif

Oh, and you must have not done your researcH thoroughly...

Nobody Wants To Be Lonely, a song directed to a latino audience, peaked @ #13 on the hot 100, and dominated the Latino charts for weeks.

Tilt Ya Head Back still went gold after Nelly's record label decided not to give it promo.

And we all know how Moves Like Jagger did.

Christina doesn't even have a huge feature catalog, but what she does have isn't nearly as disastrous as you're trying to make it out to be.

DALE!

tumblr_madm8lgjwY1rqqk0ko1_100.gif

effe

Banned
Christina's audience is still there, but fuck if she and her team will ever learn how to properly leverage them for a solo hit. ;____;

Are they really though? The last time I remember Christina hype was when she sung james brown at the grammys forever ago.

lots of artists don't understand that one of the few ways to remain relevant is to constantly bombard everyone with albums and singles. Obviously the problem with this is that constant music making dilutes quality. Case in point, Rihanna and her 11 albums.

^^^^ shush

Seems like everything was down a bit this week.

I am nervous for Hot 100 Chart.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Not the Xtuna stans rising again because she's achieving middling success as a featured artist. She was on a #1 single last year and couldn't manage to move 300k of her own albums. Lets not start this train back up because the only place it's going is to flopville.

Not the Xtuna stans rising again because she's achieving middling success as a featured artist. She was on a #1 single last year and couldn't manage to move 300k of her own albums. Lets not start this train back up because the only place it's going is to flopville.

Lol, so brutal

royalan

Are they really though? The last time I remember Christina hype was when she sung james brown at the grammys forever ago.

lots of artists don't understand that one of the few ways to remain relevant is to constantly bombard everyone with albums and singles. Obviously the problem with this is that constant music making dilutes quality. Case in point, Rihanna and her 11 albums.

I believe they are. Hype is a different thing altogether (which is another thing her team doesn't seem to know how to manage).

I remember all the happened just when Xtina tweeted the single cover for Your Body, and when the track leaked. A lot of people were here for her at that point.

"Feel This Moment" is smashing so hard that Pitbull's team is quietly realigning it as the main single from this era over "Don't Stop The Party." It is the Power of Xtina at work and you will kindly deal.

Fey

Banned

xtina hasn't bombarded us with albums and singles and has still made albums of diluted quality tho

Unfortunately no lies in this post.

Xtina is a flop right now. This should just be accepted so we can move on and HOPE for better things in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom