• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

effe

Banned
I don't think so. I think we underestimate the level of ignorance that the general public has for pop culture. I doubt half my family knows who she is...... the other half love her and would think that her "slut" persona was a lie or rumor.

we aren't focusing on people who don't know who she is at all. we're focusing on average music consumers. the people who don't know who she is aren't going to buy her album anyway. taylor's consumer base is obvi getting tired of her shit.

Koodo

Banned
You don't actually believe this.
I'm sure her brief fling with the Misdirection boy that culminated in a studio session was just a coincidence.

It's patently obvious the Kennedy child didn't give her enough to write about, or maybe she's too afraid to write about a Kennedy; and thus why she flung herself to the nearest phallus immediately after breaking up in hopes of finding a song to write about. Such was her desperation that she didn't even aim for a particularly attractive man, or a man at all.

Deceitful, lying rat-faced monster.

we aren't focusing on people who don't know who she is at all. we're focusing on average music consumers. the people who don't know who she is aren't going to buy her album anyway. taylor's consumer base is obvi getting tired of her shit.

Until there is actual evidence of this phenomenon I won't acknowledge it.

Her tours are making more than ever.

Her singles are selling better than ever.

She is dominating radio harder than ever.

The album is selling faster than ever.

None of this sounds like her fans getting "tired of it" to me.

This whole defending Taylor thing is an odd experience lol.

aren't a good amount of these in the last year alone?

Only 2 official boyfriends in the last year. I THINK two of the others were rumored to be dating her during that time.

royalan

I'm sure her brief fling with the Misdirection boy that culminated in a studio session was just a coincidence.

It's patently obvious the Kennedy child didn't give her enough to write about, or maybe she's too afraid to write about a Kennedy; and thus why she flung herself to the nearest phallus immediately after breaking up in hopes of finding a song to write about. Such was her desperation that she didn't even aim for a particularly attractive man, or a man at all.

Deceitful, lying rat-faced monster.

Lord this TEA.

I wonder if what Taylor is doing can be considered the modern version of "Fucking for tracks"?

I mean, she's not actually fucking producers for hot beats, but she is dating high-profile men and having very public relationships with them for the express purpose of writing songs about them and selling them to a curious public. And that's kinda the same thing, ain't it?

Artemisia

Banned

You really believe that she went out with Harry Styles because she wanted to write about him, spent their time together writing a song, dumped him, then went to record it in the studio soon after?

Why would she be recording material not even 2 months after her latest album hit the market? Also, I believe she was recording with Zedd so perhaps he reached out to her for something.

Yeah, that's definitely it. Certainly not the fact that he was still in high school. And I'm fairly certain she has wrote about the Kennedys on the track Starlight.

iCYXOFINKI440.gif

A lower bar than RUN THE WORLD (GIRLS)?

A lyrical mess.

A recycled beat from a song that was STILL BEING PLAYED IN CLUBS at the time.

I think not.

Sorry I'm super late to respond to this.

Run The World is approximately 13 times better than Your Body, and that includes most criterion except stanhood bias: lyrics (Run The World is weak in general but it's still several times smarter and more fresh than Your Body's, the latter of which might as well be an instrumental and would still be subject-less), production (Yes Run The World uses Pon De Floor's sample, but at least it doesn't sound like a Stefani Germanotta Def Jam demo like Your Body), and pretty much any other varying criteria that you'd like to share. Run The World is a bad song coming from Beyonce. Your Body is a bad song coming from anyone.

You chose to call Run The World a lyrical mess but not Your Body?? At least the verses in Run The World had a semblance of commentary and referential reach in it, whereas Your Body bases its entire lyrical value on "can't get you out of my mind," a motif that came and went with Kylie Minogue and Britney Spears' earlier years.

Yes I loved Your Body when it came out because I had a thirst for new Christina and that's what came out. It's fun for what it is but as a comeback single it misses the mark pretty intensely. There's no call to action in the song; it adds nothing to the pop music "vernacular" and does nothing to separate itself from radio. More importantly it does nothing to elevate Christina Aguilera as someone who holds a special place in music or as someone who actually deserves to. Songs in the same vein as Your Body do well on radio because there's an element or two to the song that separate it from the pack. There are 0 of those elements in Your Body. It's a middling, go-by-the-archetype, on-rails pop song that holds as much value sitting in that Lotus CD as it does if it was never created in the first place.

I can't at this double standard sis. I'm trying to but I can't.

And you're making me defend RUN THE WORLD of all songs!! :p

cory64

Run The World doesn't use Pon De Floor as a sample, it's Pon De Floor with lyrics and a bridge.
Sample would imply actual thought went into how it was used and incorporated.

royalan

RTWG is a stain on the Pop world and it would be a sham of a song coming from anyone. It cannot compare to Your Body, or any other song released in the history of ever.

You chose to call Run The World a lyrical mess but not Your Body?? At least the verses in Run The World had a semblance of commentary and referential reach in it, whereas Your Body bases its entire lyrical value on "can't get you out of my mind," a motif that came and went with Kylie Minogue and Britney Spears' earlier years.

I don't think a song has to have a semblance of commentary to be good, especially when the commentary is as loose and "been there done that" as RTWG. What a song DOES have to have, in my opinion, is some semblance of flow, and that's where Beyonce throws herself off a cliff. Your Body may be nothing but a sex anthem, but the lyrics are straight-up and the song hits its grove early and doesn't lose it. RTWG, in comparison, is just Beyonce tripping over herself to fill a song to the brim with such socially minded gems as "This is how they made me, Houston Texas baby" and "I work my 9-5 better cut my check." There is no flow to be found. The song is frantic, noisy mess.

royalan

Is this Justin's tracklist?

Justin Timberlake - Pusher Love Girl 08:02
Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie/Sho' Nuff 05:28
Justin Timberlake - Don't Hold The Wall 07:11
Justin Timberlake - Strawberry Bubblegum 08:00
Justin Timberlake - Tunnel Vision 06:47
Justin Timberlake - Spaceship Coupe 07:17
Justin Timberlake - That Girl 04:48
Justin Timberlake - Let The Groove Get In 07:12
Justin Timberlake - Mirrors 08:04
Justin Timberlake - Blue Ocean Floor 07:19
Justin Timberlake - Dress On 04:39
Justin Timberlake - Body Count 04:42

Lord...ain't nobody got time for all these 7+ minute tracks.

The beat-switch thing is cute if used SPARINGLY. Not here for an entire album of that mess.

Mau ®

Until there is actual evidence of this phenomenon I won't acknowledge it.

Her tours are making more than ever.

Her singles are selling better than ever.

She is dominating radio harder than ever.

The album is selling faster than ever.

None of this sounds like her fans getting "tired of it" to me.

This basically.

Its surprising how haters are so oblivious of the hard facts.

Trigger

Is this Justin's tracklist?

Justin Timberlake - Pusher Love Girl 08:02
Justin Timberlake - Suit & Tie/Sho' Nuff 05:28
Justin Timberlake - Don't Hold The Wall 07:11
Justin Timberlake - Strawberry Bubblegum 08:00
Justin Timberlake - Tunnel Vision 06:47
Justin Timberlake - Spaceship Coupe 07:17
Justin Timberlake - That Girl 04:48
Justin Timberlake - Let The Groove Get In 07:12
Justin Timberlake - Mirrors 08:04
Justin Timberlake - Blue Ocean Floor 07:19
Justin Timberlake - Dress On 04:39
Justin Timberlake - Body Count 04:42

Lord...ain't nobody got time for all these 7+ minute tracks.

The beat-switch thing is cute if used SPARINGLY. Not here for an entire album of that mess.

I disagree. It's a great way to enhance a full album listen. If I'm going to listen to an album from beginning to end then smooth transitions is a smart idea. It's only a problem if the execution is messy.

royalan

I disagree. It's a great way to enhance a full album listen. If I'm going to listen to an album from beginning to end then smooth transitions is a smart idea. It's only a problem if the execution is messy.

I don't know...I don't mind longer tracks, but I think it's also important to keep an album digestible. I doubt that 8 of the tracks on the album had to be 7+ minutes long, and it makes me feel like we're going to have to sit through a ton of overlong intros and outros for most of these songs.

We'll see though. The flow is important and if it's smooth enough I guess it could work.

I don't know...I don't mind longer tracks, but I think it's also important to keep an album digestible. I doubt that 8 of the tracks on the album had to be 7+ minutes long, and it makes me feel like we're going to have to sit through a ton of overlong intros and outros for most of these songs.

We'll see though. The flow is important and if it's smooth enough I guess it could work.

Ugh.

If this is the case. Thats just.......terrible.

Never met an intro or "outro" that wasn't a huge waste of time. Having either automatically gets a song removed from my itunes.

Koodo

Banned
Justine's latest shit is already tragic enough in 4-minute intervals, I cannot and do not want to imagine the level of filth packed in 8 minutes.

Speaking of the tragedies of Justine, the Scream & Shout Remix video remains snatching higher views than the Suit & Tie video. Clocked.

Peru

Actual slut shaming in full effect.

When your lies about her supposed values fell through, you took it on yourself to be the sexist idiots yourself.

Comforting sight in a way, to confirm that Taylor haters are the pathetic losers we assumed them to be.

Fact is she's going to maintain a career her whole life because unlike most she's in control of every aspect of it, most importantly the creative side, and has shown no problem juggling the various appeals of her music, from the more defined radio hits of this campaign to the fact that RED is also one of the most singer/songwriter, back to the roots albums she's done.

Whether she sells a million copies the first week for all future albums or not isn't really important when what you've built a foundation for success on is your songwriting and artist persona, not fads. But it doesn't hurt that she's more popular globally now than ever before.

royalan

When your lies about her supposed values fell through, you took it on yourself to be the sexist idiots yourself.

Comforting sight in a way, to confirm that Taylor haters are the pathetic losers we assumed them to be.

Fact is she's going to maintain a career her whole life because unlike most she's in control of every aspect of it, most importantly the creative side, and has shown no problem juggling the various appeals of her music, from the more defined radio hits of this campaign to the fact that RED is also one of the most singer/songwriter, back to the roots albums she's done.

Whether she sells a million copies the first week for all future albums or not isn't really important when what you've built a foundation for success on is your songwriting and artist persona, not fads. But it doesn't hurt that she's more popular globally now than ever before.

Lol - who's being sexist tho?

Lol. You should post more.

Lol - who's being sexist tho?

Considering the things that are posted in this thread would a little sexism REALLY surprise you?

Nicki Minaj: I've never had surgery on my face

In equally entertaining news, Justin Bieber has stepped out looking like this:

Well thats embarrassing.

I actually defended him on ATRL today. I should be forced to do penance.

royalan

Considering the things that are posted in this thread would a little sexism REALLY surprise you?

Actually, I would. Most people who identity as Pop fans tend to be overwhelmingly pro-women in their general opinions. That's certainly the case in PopGAF. We IDOLIZE women, especially the unapologetically ratchet ones.

This isn't GAF-HOP

Kyon

Banned
Thats just mean.

I like it.

Speaking of Bieber.

What is he even doing now? BaaB has been declining on radio for a quite a while and it feels like he hasn't had a new video is ages. Does he have a new single coming?

His Acoustics debuted @ #1 safe to say he's recording atm and is over this era. Also he's still touring

Koodo

Banned
No one is being sexist. The fact that Squints is passing herself around the country like a free sample at Costco is not being used against her; nor are her male peers - in this thread, anyway - being let off scot-free for similar behaviour. How many times are we going to call Justin a cheating slut?

Rather, it's the fact that Squints cannot own up to her cock-starved ways, choosing to build a visage that is both a deceit and a terrible role-model for young women; and that she uses her sexcapades for extremely public publicity and lyrical inspiration, not only an insult to her laundry list of partners, but a hilarious and hypocritical tactic considering the aforementioned virginal visage she's trying to peddle to gullible consumers.

But we shouldn't expect more from the same trollop who defines feminism as "guys versus girls," a troubling mentality that is an accurate summation of the ideals driving this deceitful monster who is choosing to impart terrible messages on the young women of the nation at large; a horrendous lyrical output of terrible prose that can be distilled down to wanting/needing a boy to feel complete.

Squints is being called out for looking like a TERRIBLE PERSON, and an even more terrible musician, quite literally among the worst.

I'm NOT EVEN going to go in on the fact that, despite having dated half the adult male population of the United States, she has yet to claim a boyfriend whose skin tone falls outside #FFFFFF. Is she a racist jackass too? No wonder Arte chose to receipt stan this beast.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Justin Bieber is serving diaper realness in that pic. I'm not sure how that counts as 'fashion', but if it is, thank fuck it hasn't caught on. I don't know if I could contain myself from laughing directly in the face of anyone I saw wearing what appeared to be a giant diaper underneath their pants.

His song with Drake is inoffensive enough, which I guess is his next single.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I'm NOT EVEN going to go in on the fact that, despite having dated half the adult male population of the United States, she has yet to claim a boyfriend whose skin tone falls outside #FFFFFF. Is she a racist jackass too? No wonder Arte chose to receipt stan this beast.

omg

iBrpI15vMfpVU.gif

His Acoustics debuted @ #1 safe to say he's recording atm and is over this era. Also he's still touring

Hrm. Kinda expected another single.

Glad that he is moving on though.

Holy hell lol.

You should post more.

Trigger

No one is being sexist. The fact that Squints is passing herself around the country like a free sample at Costco is not being used against her; nor are her male peers - in this thread, anyway - being let off scot-free for similar behaviour. How many times are we going to call Justin a cheating slut?

Rather, it's the fact that Squints cannot own up to her cock-starved ways, choosing to build a visage that is both a deceit and a terrible role-model for young women; and that she uses her sexcapades for extremely public publicity and lyrical inspiration, not only an insult to her laundry list of partners, but a hilarious and hypocritical tactic considering the aforementioned virginal visage she's trying to peddle to gullible consumers.

But we shouldn't expect more from the same trollop who defines feminism as "guys versus girls," a troubling mentality that is an accurate summation of the ideals driving this deceitful monster who is choosing to impart terrible messages on the young women of the nation at large; a horrendous lyrical output of terrible prose that can be distilled down to wanting/needing a boy to feel complete.

Squints is being called out for looking like a TERRIBLE PERSON, and an even more terrible musician, quite literally among the worst.

I completely disagree with this post
but I am SCREAMING

Yes, tell them

That song is so basic and boring though (also finding someone whose voice is MORE basic than Taylor's is a feat).

I C this trying to trick Taylor into flopping.
itBwooHro0xti.gif

We're done here.

Although it'd be nice if Taylor's career could follow Vanessa's lead.
ipD8y9xtjEkKZ.jpg

lol @ top comment randomly clocking xtina

vanessa carleton is cute. *.* i never realized how much taylor sounds like her.

nnnnnn those comments are exactly what I hoped wouldn't be down there. D'oh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom