• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
DONT make me have a meltdown here as well

ibq8I1gmb6Hpy7.gif

Since you've renounced your Monster card does that mean I have a shot at the POPGAF Monsterhood Trinity?

Will probably have to kill Arte and Kyon first

Mau ®

Since you've renounced your Monster card does that mean I have a shot at the POPGAF Monsterhood Trinity?

Will probably have to kill Arte and Kyon first

When I think of GaGa stans the people that come to mind are: Koodo, Nem, Marius_ and You*.*

Arte and Kyon are on and off. You've been consistent in your stanning ❤

Kyon

Banned
Yeah it is. Unless you mean that I have to have bought all her albums/releases, which I have. I own like four copies of Born This Way, lol

No it's not. That's what being a fan is. Stanning goes beyond talking. And yes buying albums is just one part of it.

No it's not. That's what being a fan is. Stanning goes beyond talking. And yes buying albums is just one part of it.

Nah, stanning is having an irrational/unconditional admiration for someone. It's extreme favoritism. Yes it means you follow up on their releases and (if you have the funds) purchase them, but it's about being an extreme fan. That includes talking about them. By the definition I stan for three ladies:

- Lady Gaga
- Beyonce
- Christina

I'm a fan of Madonna, but I evaluate her and her work pretty level-headedly, and I don't really talk much about her unless she's brought up. So by that metric I'm not a Madonna stan. You could argue that I'm barely an Xtina stan coz I don't kiss her ass, but I'm also partial to her music especially when comparing it to others.

Don't be changin' goal posts on me, I GOT THIS

cory64

RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 54.407 (+ 3.401)

Biggest update yet again *.*

wow +3.4 is crazy

YUNG RAPUNXEL ‏@AZEALIABANKS

HA!!! Fuck!!! Label Just gave me a release date!!!!!! #YUNGRAPUNXEL goes to iTunes on MARCH 26th.
Let's see if that sticks, Azealia.

Single is over a month late, album coming in 2017

TAYLOR SWIFT – 22: 2.846 (+0.369)
22 is floundering because nobody likes you when you're 23

Oh, well let me post something messier.

D1y88Z4.png
Welcome to everyone else's 2010, Marius. Glad you finally got here.

Kyon

Banned
She should be the next Catwoman tbh

Does this now mean Nem will open his Flopwoman gif folder?

Nah, stanning is having an irrational/unconditional admiration for someone. It's extreme favoritism. Yes it means you follow up on their releases and (if you have the funds) purchase them, but it's about being an extreme fan. That includes talking about them. By the definition I stan for three ladies:

- Lady Gaga
- Beyonce
- Christina

I'm a fan of Madonna, but I evaluate her and her work pretty level-headedly, and I don't really talk much about her unless she's brought up. So by that metric I'm not a Madonna stan. You could argue that I'm barely an Xtina stan coz I don't kiss her ass, but I'm also partial to her music especially when comparing it to others.

Don't be changin' goal posts on me, I GOT THIS

Buying their albums, singles, requesting songs on the radio(I know 95% of you don't do this), keeping track of receipts, doesn't seem like a big deal but KNOWING YOUR FAVES BIRTHDAY FOR GODS SAKES (how the fuck do some of these idiot baboons who call themselves Stans don't know their "faves" fucking bday). Buying concert tickets is not a requirement it is however the ultimate pay off tbh. Praising your fave is but a low percentage because if it was a high percentage everyone would be a fake ass bitch. A 'Stan' that you perceive is not what a Stan really is about. There are so many things than just talking about them 24/7. Also a REAL Stan will not have bias opinions towards their faves. I have numerous lot had opinions about all my faves choices for their careers. Someone who calls someone a fake Stan because they say something negative they don't like is precisely why talking is not a metric for what a Stan is.

In short it's hard to explain in words really but talking about someone is nothing. Because people who pirate music all the time can say they are fans but they are never a Stan. Because a true Stan would know the basics. So of course they can download something illegally and say they are a fan that's fine. Just never a Stan.

EDIT: this was not me questioning you at all. Just trying to get the point across. A lot of people have the wrong idea of what it means to be a Stan.

Dragging, Reading and Praising are not it.

lol I guess I am not a stan. I just realized I have NO clue when any of my fav's birthdays are.

Though I don't know most of my families birthdays either....... so maybe I just have a problem remembering dates.

Though overall Kyon I think your definition is far too rigid. I would liken it more as a list of attributes. Maybe 10 or so including things like always buying music day one (aka not skipping debut singles because you are going to buy album), knowing their history/backstory/discography, requesting on radio, spam refreshing videos on youtube to drive up day 1 stats (guilty), etc........ and if you qualify for 7/10 of them then you are probably a stan.

Kyon

Banned
I've never spammed or refreshed YouTube videos. That's cheating lol Kpop fans do that.

Knowing their bday isn't a big deal its just I've ran into many idiots like when everyone is saying happy bday for their #1 fave and there is always 2 idiotas "oh it's her bday?!" That's when you give a big side eye like... Umm we been talking about it. Atleast pretend you know smh

Also you don't have to be a Stan since Day one. Not dont you have to buy ON release date. You don't have to buy everything. But if you have extra money to spare by all means. If you don't have the funds for $0.99 to spend on one single idk what to tell to the people who illegally download. Anyway VOTING is also very helpful. Please by all means if you see a poll or some kind of voting thing with your fave nominated PLEASE VOTE and LINK it here for everyone to help vote for your fave. I can teach you all how to do these things if you let me. I have spent thousands of hours alone requesting on radio. The #Navy are particularly the BEST when it comes to thaT. I won't link to the secret site but there are many sites used for radio requests. You all have so much potential *.* I can teach you my hermiT ways

Although Icicle does all of this and more. We have collaborated on many hours of requesting

royalan

Lord, there's reports that Christina is recording a Spanish album to be released this year.

...I'd be here for a follow-up to the multi-platinum selling Mi Reflejo.

Be ready to receive your Latin Queen. Christina Maria Aguilera is coming. *.*

Kyon

Banned
Lord, there's reports that Christina is recording a Spanish album to be released this year.

Imma need Burlesque 2 plz

Mau ®

Thats cute sis but the real LATIN QUEEN (who actually speaks spanish) is coming this year too.

tumblr_me3vsy24la1rj8a9zo1_500.gif

Kyon

Banned
By Kyon's definition I'm a Perfume and Godney stan.
I also share the same birth month with most of my faves.

ioAueIvz4Y6y1.gif

By the way...
Dido-Girl-Who-Got-Away-Album-Art-Front.jpg

LISTEN TO HA (big album sample)

178633282.gif

PTA/Army my first entry to Stanhood

Sis the $60+ maxi singles/albums we have ha to import for the Robo Kweens I can't.

ioAueIvz4Y6y1.gif

Also I haven't listened to Dido since White Flag/Life For Rent which I occasionally listen to. This album will be flawless

ioAueIvz4Y6y1.gif

I've never spammed or refreshed YouTube videos. That's cheating lol Kpop fans do that.

Knowing their bday isn't a big deal its just I've ran into many idiots like when everyone is saying happy bday for their #1 fave and there is always 2 idiotas "oh it's her bday?!" That's when you give a big side eye like... Umm we been talking about it. Atleast pretend you know smh

Also you don't have to be a Stan since Day one. Not dont you have to buy ON release date. You don't have to buy everything. But if you have extra money to spare by all means. If you don't have the funds for $0.99 to spend on one single idk what to tell to the people who illegally download. Anyway VOTING is also very helpful. Please by all means if you see a poll or some kind of voting thing with your fave nominated PLEASE VOTE and LINK it here for everyone to help vote for your fave. I can teach you all how to do these things if you let me. I have spent thousands of hours alone requesting on radio. The #Navy are particularly the BEST when it comes to thaT. I won't link to the secret site but there are many sites used for radio requests. You all have so much potential *.* I can teach you my hermiT ways

Although Icicle does all of this and more. We have collaborated on many hours of requesting

Well yeah. If you don't have the funds you get a pass. However, having the funds (and opportunity) and passing on new music on release day excludes you from standom imo.

As to the Youtube thing. I only did it once when 1D was trying to beat Biebers day 1 totals with Kiss You (missed by 200k......QQ). Though with the change to the way songs chart I can see myself buying the single on day one but actually LISTENING to the song using youtube and refreshing between listens.

I also do the whole radio requests thing..... but usually its in bursts. Not sure I have ever spent "hours" doing it.

Does this now mean Nem will open his Flopwoman gif folder?

Buying their albums, singles, requesting songs on the radio(I know 95% of you don't do this), keeping track of receipts, doesn't seem like a big deal but KNOWING YOUR FAVES BIRTHDAY FOR GODS SAKES (how the fuck do some of these idiot baboons who call themselves Stans don't know their "faves" fucking bday). Buying concert tickets is not a requirement it is however the ultimate pay off tbh. Praising your fave is but a low percentage because if it was a high percentage everyone would be a fake ass bitch. A 'Stan' that you perceive is not what a Stan really is about. There are so many things than just talking about them 24/7. Also a REAL Stan will not have bias opinions towards their faves. I have numerous lot had opinions about all my faves choices for their careers. Someone who calls someone a fake Stan because they say something negative they don't like is precisely why talking is not a metric for what a Stan is.

In short it's hard to explain in words really but talking about someone is nothing. Because people who pirate music all the time can say they are fans but they are never a Stan. Because a true Stan would know the basics. So of course they can download something illegally and say they are a fan that's fine. Just never a Stan.

EDIT: this was not me questioning you at all. Just trying to get the point across. A lot of people have the wrong idea of what it means to be a Stan.

Dragging, Reading and Praising are not it.

Well as long as we don't forget that the word "stan" is a made up Twitter meme and doesn't actually have any etymological value, then we're good. But by your definition nobody here would even qualify. I don't request songs on radio because I don't listen to radio, and I don't really care much about ensuring someone does well on radio. What matters most to me is the music, and that includes buying singles + albums day one for the sake of listening to it, not for helping to drive it up the iTunes charts. Of course I'm happy when one of my faves performs well, but I don't take it upon myself to facilitate that happening. I don't have that kind of time.

I do however feel like I can dissect the productions in Gaga's songs better than most, and that's because I listen to her songs more than anyone else in pop. Most of her discography has been played/listened to at least 500-1000 times on my iTunes so if that doesn't make you a stan then I don't care to be a stan.

I'll make up my own word. Like flerm.

Stan is not a made up twitter meme. Stans always existed there was just a name they were never given.

Yup.

Just because a word is "made up" doesn't mean it has no meaning. Its meaning is the definition attributed to it by those who use it. I don't agree 100% with the definition Kyon came up with but I think its definitely on the right track. I don't personally think you are a stan if you badmouth your fav to other non-stans
You know who you are.
but I don't think a firm definition has been settled on. Seems to vary from community to community.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Easy now, I said until further notice

I no longer want to be known as a goto Gaga stan when in reality there is nothing to stan for at the moment, I am not going to be like a Britney/Madonna apologist stanning for the past. I have no energy to defend her anymore nor to check up on her since this whole process of waiting for ARTPOP has been incredibly tired, once I get an official release date for the lead single then I will re-laminate my card till then she can stay seated on that wheelchair for all I care. There are other artist out there releasing music that are deserving of my time. I do not hate her, her discography is still miles better than anything out there, the BTWBall was the best thing ever, but I'm just pretending she died and moving on

I'm going to stan for people that release music not for a wheelchair
ibvW0PF8HwRlmW.gif

Kyon

Banned
Yup.

Just because a word is "made up" doesn't mean it has no meaning. Its meaning is the definition attributed to it by those who use it. I don't agree 100% with the definition Kyon came up with but I think its definitely on the right track. I don't personally think you are a stan if you badmouth your fav to other non-stans
You know who you are.
but I don't think a firm definition has been settled on. Seems to vary from community to community.

Just bottom line support your fave basically is what I'm saying. It makes me want to slap someone when they claim to be a Stan and only know their singles and can't name a damn song off an album that isn't a single -__- or when I see that they pirated a single and albums like really? There is nothin wrong with being a fan. Being a Stan or not being one isn't some membership card to be in a club. It's just a name given to a more devoted type of fan. (And we do hard fucking work too but in the end the public has to like the material rip otherwise you will see the inevitable drop in sales and popularity/AirPlay.)

royalan

I think "superfan" was the generally accepted term before "Stan" took over with the rise of social media and the renaissance of message boards.

Kyon

Banned
I think "superfan" was the generally accepted term before "Stan" took over with the rise of social media and the renaissance of message boards.

Yes. Super/BigFan were the terms. I remember my geocities/google days *.* the Internet has grown so much. Twitter when it release was a BLESSING. I can actually INTERACT with my faves and see what they're up to. It's so norm now being able to see what celebs are up to.

@Mari: Omg

Wafflecakes, I adore your new avatar. Put our Queen into the spotlight!

Easy now, I said until further notice

I no longer want to be known as a goto Gaga stan when in reality there is nothing to stan for at the moment, I am not going to be like a Britney/Madonna apologist stanning for the past. I have no energy to defend her anymore nor to check up on her since this whole process of waiting for ARTPOP has been incredibly tired, once I get an official release date for the lead single then I will re-laminate my card till then she can stay seated on that wheelchair for all I care. There are other artist out there releasing music that are deserving of my time. I do not hate her, her discography is still miles better than anything out there, the BTWBall was the best thing ever, but I'm just pretending she died and moving on

I'm going to stan for people that release music not for a wheelchair
Aww... :(

At least you've been stanning "People Like Us" lately. That makes me smile.

moulels

PTA/Army my first entry to Stanhood

Bless, my first album ever was Britneysus. I started to like the Robohoes around 2008 with Chocolate Disco and Electro World playing them endlessly on Youtube lol, but became PTA till the release of ⊿sus.

Sis the $60+ maxi singles/albums we have ha to import for the Robo Kweens I can't.

RIPPPPP I know. That plus the new iTunes expenses supporting their global domination.

ioAueIvz4Y6y1.gif

Kyon

Banned
Naming your wheelchair Emma tho..... C'mon Gaga.. I can c why Mari is taking a break

@mari why are you supporting Azealia tho

Kyon

Banned
My first CD wasn't Godney it was The Boy Is Mine
britt2.gif

Then my first CD with my first ever allowance money was BOMT
britt2.gif

To think I've been stanning since childhood. I cannot

Fey

Banned
i forgot that gaga would be in a wheelchair post surgery. definitely expecting a fall album release at this point. -___-

and my first album was oops i did it again. *___*

Kyon

Banned
i forgot that gaga would be in a wheelchair post surgery. definitely expecting a fall album release at this point. -___-

and my first album was oops i did it again. *___*

*.*

That was my first Christmas CD present (that I wanted lol) I got Oops along with Ocarina Of Time for my N64 BLESS I still remember

My first CD when I came to America was Stripped. I still own it too. It's battered and bruised but it sits on my shelf forever and always. <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom