• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bladenic

I watched the first two eps of TVD and it didn't slay me, I guess it takes a bit to get good?

Yes, the first 2 (especially the first) are Twilight level shit but it's already gotten better and I'm not even to where it supposedly gets that good. I hate teen dramas usually too.

ibd493zLQXLyTq.gif

Yass, expose ha.
8f70c6ea.gif

Soulscribe does too much to champion his #1 sometimes, even if that means blatantly lying about his #3

It's a known fact that ballads are Xtina's forte, even her most hardcore haters don't deny this. She has excelled in ever single ballad
pre-Lotus
, Bound to You is no exception

watch yourself, Soulscribe sis

iIm70mNlPaho2.gif

Now girls, let's not get it twisted.

If I said in the past that Christina serves ballads better than Beyonce then let me modify what I meant: Christina's vocal type is better suited for balladry than Beyonce's pure-R&B voice is, and Christina's top ballads are objectively better songs than Beyonce's top ballads. Nobody disputes this I don't think. What I was INFERRING is that while Christina's voice is technically made for ballads she still doesn't execute them as well as she should, while Beyonce gets the execution right with a weaker tool. I would honestly love to see Beyonce try her hand at Soar, Beautiful or The Voice Within so that we can properly compare.

Bound To You and Sing For Me are examples of what happens with Christina gets too into her own character on a ballad. Those songs are practically unlistenable because the first half is too half-hazardly restrained that it lacks all substance and emotion, and the second half is so over the top that it lacks any character or relatability. Seriously, the final chorus in Sing For Me is horrible because it comes off like she's belting out past her capability only because she can and wants to, and not because the song sets her up to do it. If you wanna have a real in-depth conversation about how to properly sell and emote a ballad then we can, but the cliffsnotes version of my argument is that when Christina does it right, it's fucking right on the money. When she does it wrong, it's so wrong that the whole song loses its pace because of it. She's too inconsistent of a vocalist for me to say that she's quintessentially better than Beyonce in any specific category, while Beyonce has a ridiculous consistently across all her songs that can sometimes (though rarely) hit Christina's highs, but never falls into the threshold of "hot mess tryhard." Because of that I think Beyonce has a better handle on balladry and vocal execution in general.

With all her talent, Christina still isn't quite sure how to fully take advantage of her instrument, while Beyonce can max hers out on command. And that's the difference.

Don't turn on me you two ;__;

royalan

I wouldn't say that all of Xtina's ballads are masterpieces, but what I love about her ballads is that she ALWAYS puts her all into them. She emotionally connects on command and when she gets it wrong it usually because she overshoots. But I think that energy she brings to her ballads is why she gets it right as often as she does.

On the other hand, when Bey's ballads are bad it's because they're stylistically and thematically boring, and she rarely has that palatable emotional connection to her material when she sings. She tries to make up for this with dramatic vibrato or that phony "I'm hood" intonation she pulls so often these days, but most of her ballads are soulless, and that's how they're received.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
When it comes to ballads, Xtina demolishes Beyonce. Hurt alone >>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Halo. Bye.

Xtina is like the epitome of totally tedious soulless ballads for self-ascribed 'true music lovers'. The pop equivalent of Travis or Keane. Boring boring boring boring boring.

royalan

Halo. Bye.

Xtina is like the epitome of totally tedious soulless ballads for self-ascribed 'true music lovers'. The pop equivalent of Travis or Keane. Boring boring boring boring boring.

1) Halo is not a ballad. It's a mid tempo.
2) automatically disqualified for having a better twin on the radio.

Hurt >>>>> Halo

I don't agree with the idea that Christina connects to her material more than Beyonce does though. I'd say they both do, but Beyonce expresses it less through overdone vocals and more through a tempered tone. With the exception of songs like Hurt and Beautiful, I can get to the core of what Beyonce is presenting with her ballads a bit more than Christina, but that's personal taste. Some people just don't connect with her, and some do.

Lucky for me I connect with both, so eat it up. And crown it.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Beautiful is such a naff awful song. If people start throwing that around as an example of a great ballad I'm leaving forever.

royalan

Hurt >>>>> Halo

I don't agree with the idea that Christina connects to her material more than Beyonce does though. I'd say they both do, but Beyonce expresses it less through overdone vocals and more through a tempered tone. With the exception of songs like Hurt and Beautiful, I can get to the core of what Beyonce is presenting with her ballads a bit more than Christina, but that's personal taste. Some people just don't connect with her, and some do.

Lucky for me I connect with both, so eat it up. And crown it.

FEED THE FANTASY

DMeisterJ

Banned
Rihanna connects with every song she sings (at least since GGGB), it's the main reason why she's successful imo.

mhm

It's why I love her music so much. Her vocal ability isn't as good as some of the others but the connection just makes everything she sings sound amazing.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
There's nothing blind about it. They're both tripe. Singing a song slowly and perhaps honking through it a bit is not 'soulful' and it does not demonstrate 'artistry'. It's the genre equivalent of the boring white man on Xfactor every year who plays the guitar and only sings 'soulful', 'stripped down' versions of good songs. They're boring, corny songs for wedding singers and pub singers.

If anything I would say you have my disgust backwards. I dislike Xtina because she sings those kinds of songs: when she doesn't (Red Hot Kinda Love, Let There Be Love) she's stomachable. I'd throw Gods Alouds ballads under the bus too. Their cover of I'll Stand By You is awful crappy trash.

Koodo

Banned
Hurt is an excellent ballad precisely because it fits the narcissistic, masturbatory persona of Xtincta. The magnificent kiki of realizing the root of the pain is not because someone else was hurt, but because she is feeling guilty; in other words, there wouldn't be a display of melancholy had she hurt someone else but felt no guilt about it. It works marvelously in this one instance, but the reeking desperation of self-indulgence contrively incorporated into the majority of her work is what makes her ouevre an overall piece of shit.

I'm pretty sure that odorous mic stand has oscillated in the dampest regions while her source of mental stimulation was a mirror.

ipFkPvOnszhI0.gif

Trigger

There's nothing blind about it. They're both tripe. Singing a song slowly and perhaps honking through it a bit is not 'soulful' and it does not demonstrate 'artistry'. It's the genre equivalent of the boring white man on Xfactor every year who plays the guitar and only sings 'soulful', 'stripped down' versions of good songs. They're boring, corny songs for wedding singers and pub singers.

Those are some of Xtina's best ballads

i1cwsiF7Mfhxe.gif

royalan

If anything I would say you have my disgust backwards. I dislike Xtina because she sings those kinds of songs: when she doesn't (Red Hot Kinda Love, Let There Be Love) she's stomachable. I'd throw Gods Alouds ballads under the bus too. Their cover of I'll Stand By You is awful crappy trash.

You ejected your right to an opinion when you admitted that you only listened to 2 Xtina songs and then proceeded to post paragraphs about her entire discography.

Sit.

Artemisia

Banned

That's ridiculous. It's not analogous to reality show WGWGs because Hurt and Beautiful are both very melodic songs, and Christina (at that time) had an excellent and expressive voice. It sounds to me that you are simply averse to down tempo/stripped down music. No wonder The Lord doesn't please you.

i7vB3F4ybEFzw.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
You ejected your right to an opinion when you admitted that you only listened to 2 Xtina songs and then proceeded to post paragraphs about her entire discography.

Sit.
Stop, I said I only really listened to two of her ballads (Hurt, Beautiful).

If those are considered her best ballads I'll pass on the rest. They're wedding singer trash.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
That's ridiculous. It's not analogous to reality show WGWGs because Hurt and Beautiful are both very melodic songs, and Christina (at that time) had an excellent and expressive voice. It sounds to me that you are simply averse to down tempo/stripped down music. No wonder The Lord doesn't please you.

i7vB3F4ybEFzw.gif
Radiohead are one of my favourite bands so I don't have an aversion to slow music, and James Blake is more stripped down than anything Xtina has created to date. They are simply boring soulless songs.

Artemisia

Banned
Radiohead are one of my favourite bands so I don't have an aversion to slow music, and James Blake is more stripped down than anything Xtina has created to date. They are simply boring soulless songs.

So much of James Blake's music is devoid of hooks and you want to throw around the 'boring' shade. I see.

Hurt is an excellent ballad precisely because it fits the narcissistic, masturbatory persona of Xtincta. The magnificent kiki of realizing the root of the pain is not because someone else was hurt, but because she is feeling guilty; in other words, there wouldn't be a display of melancholy had she hurt someone else but felt no guilt about it. It works marvelously in this one instance, but the reeking desperation of self-indulgence contrively incorporated into the majority of her work is what makes her ouevre an overall piece of shit.

I'm pretty sure that odorous mic stand has oscillated in the dampest regions while her source of mental stimulation was a mirror.

ipFkPvOnszhI0.gif

RIP

You should write for Muumuse.

Majmun

Turnt snippet has arrived:

LINK

"Beat it up 'till I black out"

Woooooow, ratchet Bey is ratchet

Seems to be a song from The Dream's next album called IV Play. Not Bey going after her favorite number again.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The BET Noms have been announced. not that they matter but

Best New Artist:
Azealia Banks
Joey Badass
Kendrick Lamar
Trinidad James
The Weeknd

Best Female Hip-Hop:
Azealia Banks
Eve
Nicki Minaj
Rasheeda
Rye Rye

I dont think I've seen Azealia attend any award shows, I hope she performs
and wins RIP

Cynosure

When it comes to Xtina, I dont know some of you even bother with godel. I first noticed her nonsensically ridiculous blind hatred for Legend X with this:
godelsmetric said:
Cynosure said:

Xtina has never looked good.

iMSIkiEDdZ6Zo.gif

As much as I pity and loathe Broken Spearit, there are some things I would never say purely out of spite.

Girl you betta don't! Just because I'm honest about my fave doesn't mean I love her any less. She's still my queen :(

I would never. you'll always be a valued Fighter <3

ibr1feO9LZzznZ.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
BET is so desperate for Beyoncé. It's sad. Nominating her for releasing a deluxe edition of an album. Absolutely disrespectful to all the other female R&B artists.

No wonder their awards are paid dust.

cory64

BET is so desperate for Beyoncé. It's sad. Nominating her for releasing a deluxe edition of an album. Absolutely disrespectful to all the other female R&B artists.

No wonder their awards are paid dust.
The deluxe was released when 4 came out tho, what a mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom