• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

The Voice this season became the highest watched broadcast in the latino demographic. Your tea is as expired as your interest in the Blackberry platform.

tumblr_mi4e2rEHKa1qzr9qko1_400.gif

You got some sauce for this tea?

botty

Banned
Was listening to some Madonna on spotify and still don't understand why she was ever popular. Can't think of any Madonna song I ever liked. Madonna sucks.

I know exactly why Madonna was famous in the 80s, and I can understand how that fame would last till now. However, I don't understand why people consider her music so great.

royalan

Um the producers. They'd rather have a global star versus a local star.

No they don't. Being a global star doesn't mean jack shit when creating a show geared for the audience of a specific country. Especially since lately Shakira's global relevance hasn't helped her in the US. Her last undeniable hit here was Hips Don't Lie and a duet with Beyonce. Seeing The Voice's declining numbers, it's clear having Shakira on the show hasn't done much except help them maintain status quo, and even that is debatable.

Christina may not be in her prime right now either, or as global, but she has a legacy in the US. This is her home. She's a legend here.

Koodo

Banned
Can you imagine if these fallacies were made when the Madonosaur stans still roamed this thread?

These two albums are undeniable:

9IJMGyo.jpg
pLtG2VJ.jpg

cory64

Madonna's 90s output is truly great:
Erotica
Bedtime Stories
Something To Remember compilation
Ray of Light

As is Confessions on a Dancefloor

botty

Banned
Madonna won't be remembered for her music at all but please divulge on how she got popular.

Oh, I was hoping you wouldn't ask me.

Madonna appeared near the end of a financial crisis in America, where the populous at large had suddenly stopped saving money in fear of being poor. Now people were flocking to malls across the country to spend and buy everything they wanted—after all, the 80s is mostly where America developed its entitlement complex; in terms of materialistic things anyway. And so you have Madonna who is becoming a symbol for the superficial, and this resonated with people. Mostly with with the "cool" young girls who were spending the most time in malls, and spreading her image through imitation. Not to mention she had the praise and promotion of big time names like MTV, Andy Warhol, etc generating a buzz we haven't until Lady Gaga. So, in short, Madonna became popular become she became the poster girl for what America found ideal at the time of her debut.

royalan

That's cute.

Well she is.

People may not be buying her records en masse right now, but EVERYONE in the US knows who Christina Aguilera is. She was a cornerstone of one of the biggest cultural/musical movements the US had seen in decades. She's a part of the cultural fabric of the US. Deal.

Soulscribe brought this up a while back and I agreed with him: For all the dragging she gets among pop enthusiasts and forum mongers, to the average person Christina's capital as an artists hasn't really diminished. You could go up to the average person on the street and ask them about Christina, and they'll likely say something like "She's kind of a diva, but she can sang tho!" They won't say anything about Bionic or even Lotus, because they likely won't even know about them.

She's a name with a history and a legacy here. Shakira is not. Deal.

Koodo

Banned
Hmmmm...wonder why the ratings are down overall, then.
Viewership remains above or at the same levels. I am not surprised the demo-rating has lowered since April, when Spring started and young adults want to be freed from the clutches of indoor confinement.

I also imagine Shakira's svelte visage has made many a gurl run to the nearest gym rather than incite further phone calls to the nearest Pizza Hut.

ibr5VpYCZ2AeJW.gif

royalan

This is terrible.

Madonna's music and influence spans decades has crossed genres and movements many times over.

We all have our favorites, but the truth is it's hard to pin her down to any one album and sound.

Tell me what kind of music you listen to, and I'll tell you which Madonna album you'll like.

botty

Banned
I wish I could understand the appeal of Ray of Light :(

Oh well.

Get into the Groove
Like a Prayer
Gang Bang

Remain unbothered.

Koodo

Banned
I listen to all kinds of music. Don't really discriminate. Last night I listened to Ella Fitzgerald, Daft Punk, David Bowie, The Knife and today I listened to the new Bibio (sucked), Charli XCX. But if we're talking pop, right now my favorite current pop singer is Janelle Monae with Lady Gaga on occasions.
Oh, I like you.

ibe7TDwktARWZS.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Oh you like Lady Gaga? She IS the new Madonna, so I don't see why you'd bother with the old one
Still recommend Confessions though

botty

Banned
Oh you like Lady Gaga? She IS the new Madonna, so I don't see why you'd bother with the old one
Still recommend Confessions though

She is the new Madonna, except she is more consistent with good music. Out with the old and in with the new.

ibe7TDwktARWZS.gif

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
She is the new Madonna, except she is more consistent with good music. Out with the old and in with the new.

Gaga50dSL.gif

Well, I like Gaga's lyricism, her song themes, her singing is leagues beyond Madonna, as well as dancing. Not to mention, my biggest problem with Madonna is probably her production. It is terrible generic trance of the times more often than not. But Gaga's production, even at its most electronic, has something to like about it. And given the artists I listed above, I obvious have appreciation and love for electronic. So when I listen to Madonna, I just want to kill myself.

Oh I see.
Gaga certainly is the stronger vocalist of the two, and her hole themeing during the Fame/Fame Monster era was just devoid of flaws. As was the production on BTW
I'm not really familiar enough with Madonna's discography but I can kinda see the generic complaint, however I don't think it's too fair. Madonna and her producers were pioneers of the sound, so if it sounds generic now it's more than likely because it's been copied by anyone and everyone rather than a lack of talent on her end

royalan

Music>>>>Ray of Light>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>American Life

Girls can wear jeans
And cut their hair short
Wear shirts and boots
it's OK to be a boy
But for a boy to look like a girl is degrading
'Cause you think that being a girl is degrading
But secretly you'd love to know what it's like
Wouldn't you
What it feels like for a girl

N2Pa8J2.gif

botty

Banned
Well, I like Gaga's lyricism, her song themes, her singing is leagues beyond Madonna, as well as dancing. Not to mention, my biggest problem with Madonna is probably her production. It is terrible generic trance of the times more often than not. But Gaga's production, even at its most electronic, has something to like about it. And given the artists I listed above, I obvious have appreciation and love for electronic. So when I listen to Madonna, I just want to kill myself.

Even at 100 years old, I think the hag is still a superior dancer. But you're right about everything else.

Koodo

Banned
Bloody Mary is the apex of Gaga's productionography. The icing on the cake: Gaga was one of the main producers.

The distorted croaking vocal-sounds in the background are sheer genius.

Trigger

I adore Gaga, but she's never been a better dancer.

EDIT- I see that I've been beaten on that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom