• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
It really wasn't THAT popular. It'll probably be her last platinum album ever though.

ibbWIAs8RvfVUt.gif

ruthless lol

She will rise again tho

she's ready

iPtXWuNAhtpRv.gif

I blame the fact that people can't say or spell her Latina last name right so it doesn't show up in search hits.

there is no denying her impact and influence in the real world
TBH you might have a point there. I actually misspelled it the first time I did the search.

I doubt it would make a massive difference though.

royalan

I love how you haters are also ignoring the fact that Beyonce was polling JUST AS LOW during her B'Day era. Just a refresher: B'Day sold more than both "I Am..." and "4" (almost 3 times the sales of 4), AND had twice the number of singles as Back to Basics.

All that effort, and Bey was just as "irrelevant" as Christina during her "era for old people."

I wonder how Rihanna's search results would look if Chris Brown was never in the picture at all. I'm pretty sure every major story with her is related to him in some capacity.

I love how you haters are also ignoring the fact that Beyonce was polling JUST AS LOW during her B'Day era. Just a refresher: B'Day sold more than both "I Am..." and "4" (almost 3 times the sales of 4), AND had twice the number of singles as Back to Basics.

All that effort, and Bey was just as "irrelevant" as Christina during her "era for old people."

God I remember 2006 so well. Alternating between B'Day and Back to Basics during my Christmas break. Good times. <3

Hope to be doing that with ARTPOP and 5 this Christmas. If they come out.

royalan

Your frantic damage control bears as much relation to reality as your fave does to relevance

How is it frantic tho when the tea is right there?

Y'all can hate on B'Day all you want, but it was undeniably one of Bey's BIGGEST eras. She had 438743433 singles out, was still capable of scoring #1s on her own, was touring, getting sued for plagiarism left and right, and basically EVERYWHERE. And if she was polling just as low as Christina back then there's clearly something wrong with Google's formula.

Kyon

Banned
How is it frantic tho when the tea is right there?

Y'all can hate on B'Day all you want, but it was undeniably one of Bey's BIGGEST eras. She had 438743433 singles out, was still capable of scoring #1s on her own, was touring, and basically EVERYWHERE. And if she was polling just as low as Christina back then there's clearly something wrong with Google's formula.

And im right yet AGAIN BDay remains her best album and era. You Beyst stans keep trying it with 4getable

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Oh sorry you're right yeah, I should be taking the words of people who hate 4 over the aggregated opinions of people who review albums for a living.

ihl89wzgUwbjJ.gif

The struggle is real for people who have a chip on their shoulder over Beysus.

botty

Banned
godels, I would rather you explain why 4 was better than the other albums yourself then to use Metacritic. Your opinion is a lot more valuable than an aggregated score from the reviews of accredited album reviewers mixed with random blogs sites.

royalan

Not to mention, those scores are so close (70 to 73?) it's really just one or two reviews with conflicting opinions that account for the difference.

Gosh, there's just SO MANY THINGS wrong with using metacritic for this kind of "clocking." It's best to just not.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Not to mention, those scores are so close (70 to 73?) it's really just one or two reviews with conflicting opinions that account for the difference.

Gosh, there's just SO MANY THINGS wrong with using metacritic for this kind of "clocking." It's best to just not.

Isn't it weird though that you invariably get clocked by Metacritic and you also have an army of reasons not to use it?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I don't see how any of this invalidates the arguments against metacritic, tho...

I don't see how any of your arguments, from the delusional&#8212;#higherstandard&#8212;to the mundane&#8212;their proprietary weighting system&#8212;is supposed to be a knockdown argument against using it as a rough guide to critical acclaim though. I'm not seriously going to debate a 3 point difference on Metacritic, but the fact that it is at least up there with B'Day should be used as a rough indicator of its quality.

4 is not the musical trainwreck that the h4ters paint it to be. End of. Case closed. It is law. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

iP1Vt36okBdw8.gif

Is he considered the leader of the band? I've always pictured Zayn as the leader, but maybe that's just fanboy bias.

Meh. If there is a leader it would be Harry.

I really don't believe that there is one though. I think that they know that even the concept of a leader is essentially a death sentence for groups.

royalan

Metacritic is a flawed metric, but it is still a valid one imo.

Never understood the hate that reviews and meta sites received.

We've been over this. I don't think it's completely invalid. But I definitely do think it's invalid as a means to compare artists to each other, especially over time. Too many variables that just don't sync up for that to work.

I don't see how any of your arguments, from the delusional&#8212;#higherstandard&#8212;to the mundane&#8212;their proprietary weighting system&#8212;is supposed to be a knockdown argument against using it as a rough guide to critical acclaim though. I'm not seriously going to debate a 3 point difference on Metacritic, but the fact that it is at least up there with B'Day should be used as a rough indicator of its quality.

4 is not the musical trainwreck that the h4ters paint it to be. End of. Case closed. It is law. If you don't like it, that's your problem.

iP1Vt36okBdw8.gif

...who's arguing 4 here right now? I'm just talking about metacritic. You mad about something, Godel?

And those arguments are pretty valid criticisms of review aggregates. Don't pretend as if I'm the only person who has ever questioned them. There's just so much that isn't fairly weighted. If you want to judge an artist's quality against your own perception, sure. But to use metacritic as even a rough guide to compare artists and say, "so-and-so got a higher ranking on metacritic, that makes them better" is just silly. There's just too much up in the air--which sites are counted, who did the reviews at those sites, their specific rubric, social context, etc...

I said, I've heard it before.

If that's the best shade you can do, better go back in that hole you crawled from.

iIuBxMm0BkqEm.gif

It wasn't shade, I am genuinely baffled at your lack of knowledge. Ignorance of someone so iconic as Kylie and extolling Justin Bieber's acoustic album on the same page?

You sound like someone trying to jump on a bandwagon after watching Paris is Burning for the first time, nagl.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Kelly Rowland has been confirmed as a judge
&#8207;@themidland 2h
Due to X-Factor related sched. conflicts, the Kelly Rowland & The-Dream tour has been cancelled. All tix will be refunded at pt of purchase.

one seat left open now
ibf1K8zZd7GZHx.gif

When you say it'll leak "soon" how "soon" do you mean? Like this week? This month? Today?

I dont have any inside knowledge. The songs have audio signatures so if anyone does leak it they'd probably lose their jobs. I just asked someone I Twitter-know and they sent me an email with the songs and they begged me to not share lol. So other than that ... I know nothing.

We've been over this. I don't think it's completely invalid. But I definitely do think it's invalid as a means to compare artists to each other, especially over time. Too many variables that just don't sync up for that to work.

I am 95% sure I have seen you compare Xtina's album sales from 2000 to Kelly's 2005-today.
jamming.gif

Reviews vary over time, but not nearly as much as album sales have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom