• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I am 95% sure I have seen you compare Xtina's album sales from 2000 to Kelly's 2005-today.
jamming.gif

Reviews vary over time, but not nearly as much as album sales have.

That's album sales, not reviews.

Kelly Rowland has been confirmed as a judge

My guess is they bring over one of the past UK judges for the last seat.

That's album sales, not reviews.
These deceptions. Album sales are FAR LESS relevant when comparing artists from different eras than reviews. Far less reliable as well.

Your lack of integrity is showing.

8f70c6ea.gif

You cannot reasonably argue that you CAN compare album sales from different eras while also arguing that you CANNOT do so with reviews.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
...who's arguing 4 here right now? I'm just talking about metacritic. You mad about something, Godel?
Someone else mentioning 4 was the context for my bringing it up in the first place though.

And those arguments are pretty valid criticisms of review aggregates. Don't pretend as if I'm the only person who has ever questioned them. There's just so much that isn't fairly weighted. If you want to judge an artist's quality against your own perception, sure. But to use metacritic as even a rough guide to compare artists and say, "so-and-so got a higher ranking on metacritic, that makes them better" is just silly.
I'm not saying you're the only person who has ever questioned them. I'm saying you get continuously clocked by them and you hate them. I'm sure it's just a coincidence though, and you'd still hate Metacritic even in the parallel world where your fave does have a 60%+ career average.

There's just too much up in the air--which sites are counted, who did the reviews at those sites, their specific rubric, social context, etc...
I get that this can happen sometimes. But if Artist A consistently clocks lower averages than Artist B over albums released years apart, I think there comes a point where you can no longer lean back on the excuses of reviewers that hate your fave or their being held to a higher standard or whatever. Ditto if Artist C has clocked consistently 50%-60% averages across all their reviews. They're just not a top-tier musician. That's okay, not everyone is a Robyn. And, especially in pop music, individual tracks can be more important than albums. Gods Aloud would be iconic for their string of incredible singles even if their albums weren't all that great. Ditto for Rihanna. I agree completely with PopJustice's point that for most of our faves, their Greatest Hits will be the best album they ever release.

I dont have any inside knowledge. The songs have audio signatures so if anyone does leak it they'd probably lose their jobs. I just asked someone I Twitter-know and they sent me an email with the songs and they begged me to not share lol. So other than that ... I know nothing.

Don't all songs pre-leak have audio signatures though? I assumed that the process was to try and delete the audio signatures before uploading them publicly so that the source can't be traced, meaning all songs go through that process.

Anything else you're willing to tell us about the songs?

Bladenic

Oh so Simon, Kelly, and Demi. So last seat will be either Paulina Rubio (this is a huge "what" to me) or Hilary Duff?

Also wasn't Kelly a big hit on the UK version but quit because Tulisa was a bitch? I may watch for ha.

Edit: nvm, Godel confirmed her being great.

Cynosure

Billboard Music Awards Score Highest Ratings in 12 Years

mBnR1t3.jpg

The Billboard Music Awards had a viewing audience of 9.47 million, a 28 percent spike over 2012's audience of 7.4 million viewers, Nielsen reported. The show was No. 1 Sunday night in the advertiser-coveted 18-49 demographic, pulling in 4.6 million viewers in the age group.

It's the highest ratings for the BBMAs in 12 years. Combined with the season finale of "America's Funniest Home Videos," ABC won the night with an overall rating of 3.1 in the 18-49 demo. All other networks were below 1.8. All numbers are part of Nielsen's "fast national ratings"; final numbers will be released later today.

In terms of the demo, the same number of people between the ages of 18 and 49 watched the Billboard Music Awards as last week's finale of "American Idol."

The night's other music program, "ACM Presents: Tim McGraw’ Superstar Summer Night" on CBS, was watched by 6.2 million viewers, with an audience of 1.53 million in the 18-49 group.

The demographic numbers for programs in May are important as they are used to establish advertising rates in the coming season.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/e...usic-awards-score-highest-ratings-in-12-years

iPtXWuNAhtpRv.gif

Oh so Simon, Kelly, and Demi. So last seat will be either Paulina Rubio (this is a huge "what" to me) or Hilary Duff?

Also wasn't Kelly a big hit on the UK version but quit because Tulisa was a bitch? I may watch for ha.

Forgot about Hilary.

She will certainly be the last judge assuming she doesn't ask for too much $$$.

Koodo

Banned
1. Can we talk about the #SELFCLOCK of the Fatters' jubilation over Xtincta's weight returning to levels below the morbidly obese? I've never seen the little periods express this level of joy over her own music. I always had suspicions that the cornerstone of their stanning was devoid of audio stimuli and entirely in the field of visual stimulation, but I never expected them to provide evidence of this behaviour point-blank.

ioTsymKU6lMxS.gif

Speaking of audio stimuli, what a peculiarly loud backing track, though I can see why it was very necessary whenever a chilling-croaking noise would blast through the speakers during an ad-lib that had gone unfiltered by the studio-corrected backing track. NO TEA NO SHADE in the following sentence, but how is her voice worsening so precipitously?

2. Squint's worth to society has finally been revealed:

tumblr_mn2urw2am51qfoj4do1_400.gif

GOD BLESS HER.

3. La Niña need only look as far as the parasite clinging to Pitbull's wrinkly balls to witness what will become of his career if he keeps being a PUBLIC CUNT. He has less than a year left of the word teen being appended to his age and thus a quickly expiring youth card as an excuse for his obscenities.

4. TEARING UP MY LARYNX SCREAMING AT MIGUEL. #DEATH #LITERALLY?

5. Matthew Weiner seems to have foreseen the ensuing #MESS of these awards and scheduled a fittingly messy episode for the same night. BREATH-LESS.

Is there anything else that I've missed?
iboeDqDg0gL1oj.gif

royalan

Someone else mentioning 4 was the context for my bringing it up in the first place though.

I'm not saying you're the only person who has ever questioned them. I'm saying you get continuously clocked by them and you hate them. I'm sure it's just a coincidence though, and you'd still hate Metacritic even in the parallel world where your fave does have a 60%+ career average.

I get that this can happen sometimes. But if Artist A consistently clocks lower averages than Artist B over albums released years apart, I think there comes a point where you can no longer lean back on the excuses of reviewers that hate your fave or their being held to a higher standard or whatever. Ditto if Artist C has clocked consistently 50%-60% averages across all their reviews. They're just not a top-tier musician. That's okay, not everyone is a Robyn. And, especially in pop music, individual tracks can be more important than albums. Gods Aloud would be iconic for their string of incredible singles even if their albums weren't all that great. Ditto for Rihanna. I agree completely with PopJustice's point that for most of our faves, their Greatest Hits will be the best album they ever release.

...???

You keep bringing this back to Christina as if my dislike of metacritic is derived from their dislike of Christina. This isn't the case at all.

A) I have other faves that have beter metacritic scores.
B) None of my arguments against metacritic originated with me or were based on their assessment of Christina Aguilera. Christina could cease to exist tomorrow
Hush, Koodo
and my point would still stand. Likewise, Christina could start clocking 90+ metacritic scores tomorrow
hush, Mumei
and my point would still stand.
C) NONE of my arguments have anything to do with any one particular artist.

In fact, now that I think about it, the only reason Christina keeps coming up here is because I criticize your general use of metacritic and YOU constantly bring her into the discussion.

Partition

Banned
seriously thats what explains that spike in 2013

EDIT: Death @ Gagita being irrelevant in the end. The public just doesnt care for her anymore.

FAME is the most successful popstar fragrance of all time

ibdI45f08pvs7Z.gif

Really tho, this Google tea means nothing. Why would people be searching Gaga when she has been literally making an effort to fall off the face of the Earth for the past 4 months?

Really tho, this Google tea means nothing. Why would people be searching Gaga when she has been literally making an effort to fall off the face of the Earth for the past 4 months?

No one is using Google to shade Gaga. Of course she would be down between albums.

It is those who are ALWAYS on the bottom that should feel shame.

Mumei

hush, Mumei

... But I'm on your side?

Right.

The issue for me comes more when trying to determine quality; it counts equally the most insightful and the most vapid reviews. I am sure we have all read reviews at some point or another where the reviewer just did not appear to understand what they were talking about, repeatedly got basic information wrong, and ended up giving a negative review to something on a ridiculous basis. That negative review and the well-thought positive review both count for the same thing. And you could obviously switch that - a positive review for something that is actually basic.

And then Metacritic themselves actually take it upon themselves to give scores for reviews that do not have an explicit score of some sort. I don't see how anyone can take it seriously. Even when you are trying to determine critical acclaim it is problematic because it can count Random Ass Place You've Never Heard Of the same as Prestigious Magazine #6.

iFx0o0wYWkOL4.gif

I haven't got anything more constructive to add because you pretty much nail it. If I were having a serious discussion about which of two artists has a higher quality output I wouldn't rely on Metacritic.

oUFcdlk.gif

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
...???

You keep bringing this back to Christina as if my dislike of metacritic is derived from their dislike of Christina. This isn't the case at all.

A) I have other faves that have beter metacritic scores.
B) None of my arguments against metacritic originated with me or were based on their assessment of Christina Aguilera. Christina could cease to exist tomorrow
Hush, Koodo
and my point would still stand. Likewise, Christina could start clocking 90+ metacritic scores tomorrow
hush, Mumei
and my point would still stand.
C) NONE of my arguments have anything to do with any one particular artist.

In fact, now that I think about it, the only reason Christina keeps coming up here is because I criticize your general use of metacritic and YOU constantly bring her into the discussion.

Addressing the jabs at your fave and not the content of your post.

Lets back up a second.

I brought up 4 because it was accused of being a worse album than B'Day. I posted the Metacritic tea to demonstrate that it clearly is not, because its Metacritic score is in the same neighbourhood (higher actually).

Your attacks on Metacritic in the past have tended to revolve around two poles. Firstly you have general critiques of the system itself (okay, maybe Dub Salsa wasn't a big deal when Album A dropped, or maybe the EW review of Album B was skewed by it being reviewed by a known hater). But the whole point of Metacritic is that it aggregates so that those kinds of errors are smoothed over in general. Yes, there are blips here and there. But if Artist A registers 80 career average and Artist B registers 50 career average, I don't think it's unreasonable at all to conclude that probably, Artist A's output is simply of a higher quality.

The second have tended to be defences of your fave in particular wrt reviewers: that she is held to a higher standard (she is not), that the media in general hates her (they don't), etc.

Now, as I see it you have two plausible responses. The first is to become a kind of artistic value relativist: there really is no such thing as good or bad music, only opinions, so it's really actually kind of meaningless for A to post higher scores than B—that just means more people preferred A's music, but that doesn't mean anything about its quality. The second is to accept that Metacritic actually is a decent barometer of quality. Flawed, yes. Fallible, yes. There's lots of things it can't tell you (see below). But as a general indicator, it's adequate. After all, what else are you going to use?

I wouldn't rely on Metacritic to tell me who is better out of, say, Britney or Xtina (partly because I already know: Britney, obviously), but I do think that as a general guide you could do worse.

Metacritic is impotent to tell you about Rihanna's quality, for instance. Rihanna is probably the best singles artist in the game: I wouldn't tell people to go and listen to her albums if I wanted to convince them of her quality. I'd get them to listen to her singles. Metacritic can't tell you that, for one. It also can't tell you that Bey is the best live artist in pop music.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Thank Fuck Koo exposed the fatters. I find it so odd that they're so happy their fave is no longer plus sized and is only averagely sized. I guess they're thankful for small miracles. And the complete lack of commentary on the voice of this generation needing a backing track that puts most pop stars to shame.

But I guess they felt that moment, at least for a bit.

royalan

Apologies. I'm just so used to shade from you...;___;

Thank Fuck Koo exposed the fatters. I find it so odd that they're so happy their fave is no longer plus sized and is only averagely sized. I guess they're thankful for small miracles. And the complete lack of commentary on the voice of this generation needing a backing track that puts most pop stars to shame.

Oh please.

Am I happy Christina is losing weight? Yes. Just as the Army was happy when their fave lost weight.

But there's PA-LEN-TY of tea of me stanning Christina in general. Peep the tag.

Fighters are clearly praising because she's accomplishing something she wants (and looks HAWT, to boot).

Yeah, that backing track put even Rihanna to shame.

I wonder why she okay'd that. Must be a confidence thing?

I think getting a solid performance out on the stage was the #1 priority. I imagine you are correct in that it was about building her confidence.

Not going to complain about it unless it is the start of a trend for her.

DMeisterJ

Banned

Funny but Rihanna isn't even someone who egregiously overuses backing tracks. Much to our chagrin, she chooses to sing LIVE.

Nice try tho. It would bother me if my fave had the title of "the voice of the generation" tho. Yours does. And she needs to use a backing track. Goodbye.

botty

Banned

It's convenient that people will suddenly accept that Feel This Moment is Legendtina's song instead of Pitbull's to fit their argument. But hey, the back track was loud, and people were still getting their life.

Another win for the Legend.

iYPweVt3Heo3y.gif

Funny but Rihanna isn't even someone who egregiously overuses backing tracks. Much to our chagrin, she chooses to sing LIVE.

Nice try tho. It would bother me if my fave had the title of "the voice of the generation" tho. Yours does. And she needs to use a backing track. Goodbye.

Give me a break. I have watched multiple youtube concert videos where you could see her stop singing for a moment and you could barely tell the difference.

She has improved lately with Diamonds and Stay, but she has a LONG track record of abusing backing tracks.

Huh?

I think you took my talking about TOUR REVIEWS that Beyst Stans keep posting for Tour Gross receipts. I never said anything agains that. Just reviews. :)

I wasn't singling out you specifically. There's an overarching theme here in regards to the number of people who see you on tour vs the number of people who buy your records.

Koodo

Banned

Looking at iTunes, it seems the viewing public only felt the other Pitbull song that night.

xtinctbyeyfubv.gif

I wasn't singling out you specifically. There's an overarching theme here in regards to the number of people who see you on tour vs the number of people who buy your records.

Tour grosses are perfectly legit receipts imo.

The only time (most) people speak out against them is when stans use them simply because their fav has no recent album/single/chart receipts to speak of. Ideally an artist will have both.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
In news that isn't me dragging Xtina, I really wish Robyn would hurry the fuck up and release new music. What is taking her so long?

royalan

It WAS strange.

I feel like Christina was either not aware of it, or wasn't aware it would be as prominent as it was. I say that because she spent so much of the performance singing ad libs while the track was going and purposely being out-of-sync with it. There were even several points where it seemed like she was attempting to harmonize with it. You don't do that if you're trying to hide behind a backing track, and Xtina knows that. She's lipped before.

She was treating the back track like it was a backup singer.

botty

Banned
Yeah, I found it interesting how Pitbull even let her come out that way. It's his song, but she gets all the most attention.

The same thing happened with her Moves Like Jagger performances. They know the Legend deserves the grandest entrances.

Looking at iTunes, it seems the viewing public only felt the other Pitbull song that night.

xtinctbyeyfubv.gif

It actually went up about 8 spots after last night's performance.

iPtXWuNAhtpRv.gif

I can't at you reversing every xtina gif x_x

In news that isn't me dragging Xtina, I really wish Robyn would hurry the fuck up and release new music. What is taking her so long?

So shady.

On another note. As our resident Girls Aloud stan would you mind posting a short list of their "must have" songs? I have been considering getting into that, but I have no idea where to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom