• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

moulels

I'm crying so much

aW1gVai.png

Lord, y'all are so flawless.

ibsiaSG36NN9KU.gif

Aguila

#ICONIC
I said hey
Is it the sign of the times?
Can we go find something money can't buy?

I said hey
Is it the sign of the times?
Is it to late to find something money can't buy?

ibj4ahQBrfKGFx.gif

Okay I got this-

I'm thankful for my hands
'cause it's a good thrower
I'm thankful for my body
'cause it's a fucking banger
I'm thankful for my moouth
'cause it's a real screamaa

But most of all I'm thankful for......

MY POWER!

igvFfhblgHmuF.gif

Icicle

ch will I ever be worthy enough for a the full icicle reading treatment?

No, because you live for #mess moments, even if you're the one being dragged. My essays are reserved for those who DESERVE them, they are not prizes to be won.

On the contrary, you are being put on warning that any deliberate attempts to get me to come back at you (or someone else) in a major way will result in you being the first person on my ignore list.

igggQjGIcD8PT.gif

Icicle's Jasmine Trias stanning in the Idol thread is giving me life.

Hew knew?

Thanks for checking it out, I hope you are on my team. Thinking back on it, it's very likely that being a fan of Jasmine's, a Jazmaniac, as it were, has had a huge impact on how I approach stanning. Because she was hated on by a great deal of the fans whose favorites went before her, we were constantly defending her while also exposing the flaws of the faves of those who were out to shit. The opposition she faced, and her fans by extension, just became an expected duty. In my 3 years of peak participation among her fans, I must have gotten pretty good at it, because my essays, of which I'd guess there have been maybe a dozen full-length essays in total, have attained a Pop-GAF wide awareness, with most not wanting to find themselves on the receiving end of an thesis as brilliant as it is devastating.

ibj9qNS1nh0jld.gif

Icicle

Icicle's Jasmine Trias stanning in the Idol thread is giving me life.

icicle's idol thread reading.

today is truly a blessed day.

Don't know if you guys are interested, and this happened a while ago, but after a "controversy" occurred which involved my avatargoddess, Sasha Grey. A thread popped up in the OT to discuss the controversy, and the media's reaction to it, and after a few pages of most posters saying degrading things to her, I thought I would speak up.

I had completely forgotten that I ever wrote this stuff until today when someone in the AI thread said I /was/ Jasmine Trias. I'll let you read my posts for yourselves and the few interesting responses it got.

Anyway, here's the link to the pages where I posted. Although if you're not familiar with the story, you might want to read the story in the OP.

Post 1

In between these two are other posters' reactions to my post. They make some interesting claims about me and Sasha, which I address in the next post. Nobody responds after this one though.

Post 2

ibs0K07uXwKHBk.gif

You know what? I had forgotten how basic and forgettable Miley used to look.

These gifs make me question whether or not her recent style changes are as bad as I originally thought.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
The lame attempts at a comeback, chile go back to stanning Rihanna
and leave the praising of this spokesperson to those who have no one to stan for atm but
still feel incline to post in this thread

i46jKFCv5J9qM.gif

effe

Banned
[my whole fucking uni café raised their prices]. NHFT.

And the government wants people to actually [p u r c h a s e] music.

botty

Banned
Cease Fire, girls.

Anyway... How important is it for you guys that an album be cohesive, or as Beyonce put it, have a "concept?"

Just to let people understand what that means... It's an album where the majority of the songs have similar themes, sounds, or tell a story.

One of the best examples of this—that instantly pops into my head at least—is The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

The album is very autobiographical, and has a distinct pop/soul/R&B sound that shared between all of the songs. I know that a lot of girls here stan for ha quietly
TRIGGER
, and will know exactly what I am talking about. I have to wonder if there is any correlation between having a lot of influence/writing credits on your album, and the album being cohesive. I don't want to make such a claim, considering there are some girls who "claim" to have a lot of influence on their albums, but the results have been a cluster of randomness...

4_album_-_Beyonce.jpg

This album is supposed to be the one where Beyonce had the mosT influence, control, and concept. Though, I find that hard to believe when each song has like twelve writers on it. Contrast this with the fact that the Lauryn Hill album I previously mentioned only has about 4 writers on the entire album, with Lauryn being the sole writer on nearly every track. This isn't to shade Beyonce or 4, though she put herself in the cross hairs, but she shouldn't come for people's lack of making concept albums after putting 4 out. 4 was clearly an attempt at getting some of that Adele market: Half the album is about Jay-Z, in the same way Adele's album was about some guy. Then the album has songs like Party, Run The World, and I Was Here. Figures that Satch, a beyonce stan, only uses the bonus songs on the Deluxe album (Schoolin' Life;Lay Up Under Me). But it isn't as if Beyonce doesn't know how to make a great concept album...

Beyoncé_-_B%27Day_%282006%29.jpg

B'day still remains Beyonce's magnum opus. Everything from the production to the band to the lyrics in this album were fueled with funk and soul. Beyonce's delivery on every song was sexy, and powerful. Bey's portrayal of herself as a woman was also less subservient compared to 4: Just listen to songs like Upgrade U, Freakem Dress, Irreplaceable, Green Light, or Ring The Alarm. Black Beyonce was serving some powerful woman teas back in the day.

As for other pop artist who do concept albums, I think the last interesting one I can recall is The Fame

Album_Cover-The_Fame.jpg

I always look at this album as some kind of thesis on what Fame is. It's a very smart, and self aware album... even if the little monsters are ashamed of it. Sure it has its flaws, but I think that has less to do with the concept of it, and more to do with the songs just being terrible.

Well, the reason I even began thinking about this stuff is due to me listening to Lotus today. I tried to find the concept, and synthesis between the songs, and aside from 3-4 songs, I think there is a story to be told from most of the tracks. But maybe that is just my imagination running rampant. Songs like Shut Up, Circles, Make The World Move just don't make sense on the album. I feel like they were added, not as filler, but as things she thought would be cute to include. Unfortunately, the songs detract from the concept and the integrity of the album... but that is just my opinion.

So what do you guys think about conceptual albums, or just the cohesiveness of an album? Is it important to you? Or is it only important if your fave's album/the album has songs you can bop to?

ilnZR5KSqARAd.gif

Sai-kun

Banned
I can enjoy an album without it having any specific idea that ALL the songs float around or contain, but I find them infinitely more interesting when they do, like Electra Heart! Even The Family Jewels has some core 'points' and those just make it so much more listenable.

In other news, Little Boot's second album, Nocturnes is coming out May 5th and HOLY SHIT I'M EXCITED. Like seriously, holy fuck, I am super hyped.

And she just announced that she's playing in Chicago a couple days after the album drops! I am so fucking excited to finally see her live :D

effe

Banned
VERY important, which is a reason why Born This Way failed. Absolutely no thematic connection inbetween songs other than a faint rebellious attitude.

I've stanned them several times before in this thread, but Goldfrapp's albums are ALL built on an idea, and Alison often gives and explanation for what they were based on. It helps that they ISOLATE themselves when they record a record. So many artists just write randomly and record whenever which often leads to a shitty, diluted product.

Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain is based on some kind of James Bond/sexual subversion idea. It's lyrics are often unintelligible yet the SOUNDSCAPE it creates is unlike many things in this music industry. Ambient noises, distorted guitars, alison's high pitched voice emulating animals, and the list just goes on. The album is a work of art.

felt+mount.jpg

Other albums with defined soundscapes:

botty

Banned
VERY important, which is a reason why Born This Way failed. Absolutely no thematic connection inbetween songs other than a faint rebellious attitude.

I've stanned them several times before in this thread, but Goldfrapp's albums are ALL built on an idea, and Alison often gives and explanation for what they were based on. It helps that they ISOLATE themselves when they record a record. So many artists just write randomly and record whenever which often leads to a shitty, diluted product.

Goldfrapp's Felt Mountain is based on some kind of James Bond/sexual subversion idea. It's lyrics are often unintelligible yet the SOUNDSCAPE it creates is unlike many things in this music industry. Ambient noises, distorted guitars, alison's high pitched voice emulating animals, and the list just goes on. The album is a work of art.

felt+mount.jpg

Other albums with defined soundscapes:

I remember a few of us talked about whether or not Born This Way was conceptual, and we were kind of split on the decision. I believe Marius was the one who said the album was about various things, like her past relationships, self acceptance, and... drugs, I believe. I can hear that in some songs, specifically in Born This Way (the song), but I don't think the album is very unified in its core ideas. Only recently have I accepted that the album isn't complete shit... I enjoy songs like Highway Unicorn, and Edge of Glory. However, in comparison to The Fame, the album definitely lacks cohesion.

I'll have to check out that goldfrapp album. I am quite ignorant to most of her music, tbh.

Cease Fire, girls.

Anyway... How important is it for you guys that an album be cohesive, or as Beyonce put it, have a "concept?"
back-to-basics.jpg

Listening to it in full is still a religious experience for me. Though I understand that in this unfortunate age of singles sales being given more importance than album sales, it's not worth it to create a cohesive piece of work anymore.

effe

Banned
I remember a few of us talked about whether or not Born This Way was conceptual, and we were kind of split on the decision. I believe Marius was the one who said the album was about various things, like her past relationships, self acceptance, and... drugs, I believe. I can hear that in some songs, specifically in Born This Way (the song), but I don't think the album is very unified in its core ideas. Only recently have I accepted that the album isn't complete shit... I enjoy songs like Highway Unicorn, and Edge of Glory. However, in comparison to The Fame, the album definitely lacks cohesion.

I'll have to check out that goldfrapp album. I am quite ignorant to most of her music, tbh.

I guess my aversion to gaga kind of distorted my views a bit. There's definitely a tiny bit of cohesion there.

And YASSS to Goldfrapp. Her music spans across so many genres that you're bound to find something you like. Felt Mountain, Seventh Tree, and Supernature are my faves.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
I havent been stanning for Nicki in a while so let me do it with this post

She has been serving lately, see this FAME/Poker Face Gaga is the one she should have copied from the start and not the Fame Monster turned barbie

I hope it sticks for her new era

Trigger

Just to let people understand what that means... It's an album where the majority of the songs have similar themes, sounds, or tell a story.

One of the best examples of this—that instantly pops into my head at least—is The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill

LaurynHillTheMiseducationofLaurynHillalbumcover.jpg

The album is very autobiographical, and has a distinct pop/soul/R&B sound that shared between all of the songs. I know that a lot of girls here stan for ha quietly
TRIGGER
, and will know exactly what I am talking about. I have to wonder if there is any correlation between having a lot of influence/writing credits on your album, and the album being cohesive. I don't want to make such a claim, considering there are some girls who "claim" to have a lot of influence on their albums, but the results have been a cluster of randomness...

iwb07CTRghPHz.gif

You better stan. *.*

RE The actual question:

It's not overwhelmingly important for an album to be cohesive thematically IMO. I've listened to plenty of mixtapes and albums that jumped from topic to topic. It's about the music. Albums like Back to Basics, Miseducation, and Kaleidoscope Dream succeed because of how well individual tracks flow together. I think it's a lot more impressive to actually craft an album with a cohesive flow.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
gaga stains are petitioning the fact that madonna will be the one presenting that gay alliance award?

ibtQedLJcfsqv5.gif

now listen up trick, if you are willing to be trolled by madonna stans then so be it
but I am not going to let you come here and spread misinformation

What you are talking about is Madonna stans pretending to be Little Monsters to embarrass the stanbase even further

this is the blog they run http://littlemonsterartpop.blogspot.co.uk/
it gets deleted every time they post a stupid blog post such as Kelly Osbourne should kill herself or that Madonna is the cause of the AIDS crisis due to the level of reporting it gets

but before they take down the blog, they make sure to spread it to news media and celebrities, Steven Klein and Sharon O being two of them who have been trolled

this the troll that runs the blog: https://twitter.com/Cedavi

ibgEQCC5raTCGq.gif

Trigger

now listen up trick, if you are willing to be trolled by madonna stans then so be it

What you are talking about is Madonna stans pretending to be Little Monsters to embarrass the stanbase even further

it gets deleted every time they post a stupid blog post such as Kelly Osbourne should kill herself or that Madonna is the cause of the AIDS crisis due to the level of reporting it gets

but before they take down the blog, they make sure to spread it to news media and celebrities, Steven Klein and Sharon O being two of them who have been trolled

The Crone's stans are just tew much.
wQZoHRz.gif

Fey

Banned

ibgEQCC5raTCGq.gif
noooooo they did not

ibrchoP9avmIlb.gif

i had no idea madonna stans were this vicious

honestly shocked though
seems like a crazy monster thing to do

ibgEQCC5raTCGq.gif
ibdTw3ZGETVstv.jpg

ibgEQCC5raTCGq.gif

I am actually impressed. That's some dedication.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom