• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see Rih has everyone pressed as a waffle.

Let's not focus on the fact that they're obviously doing it out of boredom. While the newest addition to my fave front is out touring with new music, there's is twiddling their thumbs releasing tumblr photos that she's forced her Starbucks slave to take.

Literally playing dress ups. Poor her. At least my other fave has a reason for being down and out.

ibfoGRRlXNI5D5.gif

andfklajhdflajdfljasdf

And who's to say I'm not bored either? Coz I'm am. I've been youtubing all morning. :(

I can totally see you stanning Nicki Minaj and One Direction in the next few months. The transition has already begun. ;_;

Nemesis_

I can totally see you stanning Nicki Minaj and One Direction in the next few months. The transition has already begun. ;_;

Now sis, there are some things that some people perceive as lows.

Then there are some things that almost everyone universally can perceive as a low.

Guess which one I won't be doing any time soon?

iimYhzO2EDkQA.gif

Now sis, there are some things that some people perceive as lows.

Then there are some things that almost everyone universally can perceive as a low.

Guess which one I won't be doing any time soon?

iimYhzO2EDkQA.gif

Isn't that what they all say though?

(with the exception of Marius_)

iimYhzO2EDkQA.gif

Nemesis_

Isn't that what they all say though?

(with the exception of Marius_)

iimYhzO2EDkQA.gif

As another member has pointed out to me in private, I possess the intellect to discern between the two things I mentioned previously.

ibqGdUxZFW6T0y.gif

(Also, Target is being super shady - from the 20/20 Experience album page)

AvwYiUQ.png

Nemesis_

Dead @ "temporary price cut" AND a one star

From one person too.

Kyon, her impact.

EDIT:

20/20 Review
PopOverdose

Timberlake previously debuted ‘Pusher Love Girl’ at his New Orleans comeback gig and at the Grammys in February. The track, complete with his as-good-as-ever-sounding trademark falsetto, sees the former 'N Sync star sing: “I’m a junkie for your love” as he channels his inner mid-’80s Prince.

It’s nothing like anything that's been on the radio in a long, long time and you’re instantly transported back to the heady days of when Timberlake dominated the charts. Have there really been six years in between? I’m also reminded of the stepping songs from R. Kelly's fifth album ‘Chocolate Factory’, which you can’t help but move to.

Switching from orchestral to heavily-produced and back again, the song seamlessly moves into UK number three comeback single ‘Suit & Tie’ featuring Jay-Z.

Co-produced by Timberlake's longtime maestro Timbaland, it’s as expertly tailored as its title suggests. The suave track begins with down-tempo synths, before segueing into a swinging groove.

After listening to the whole album, it becomes clear why JT chose to release this song first - it’s the most unique track on the record, even if it is hard to distinguish whether you like it at first.

With no pause, the record moves onto another track helped by Timbaland, ‘Don’t Hold The Wall’ - a dance motivator. It's one of the strongest songs on the album and sees Timberlake pursue a girl in a club, something he’s undoubtedly had little trouble doing over the years. It’s ‘The Chop Me Up’ of ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ and the ‘Rock Your Body’ of ‘Justified’ funked up for ‘The 20/20 Experience’.

The Hollywood star drops his seductive whispering into the mix on this one and, by the end, the song has somewhat changed shape.

The techno sound JT sampled in ‘FutureSex/LoveSounds’ has gone but he’s still into his reprises and interludes that leave you wondering where one song ends and another one begins.

Next up is ‘Strawberry Bubblegum’, a song as seductive as its title, although I fear if you had too much of it you might end up feeling a little sick. Timberlake claims he has the “recipe for a good time” and for this one its best to just relax and let him woo you with lines like “little girl I want you to be my strawberry bubblegum”.

Another of my favourites from the record is ‘Tunnel Vision’. Its beat resembles 50 Cent's Grammy-nominated ‘Ayo Technology’ on which Timberlake joined in. This is JT in love, and on the infectious track he croons “I look around and everything I see is beautiful, because all I see is you.”

Here we have Timberlake in a much happier place than ‘Cry Me A River’ and ‘What Goes Around... /... Comes Around’.

The dubiously titled, metaphor-laden ‘Spaceship Coupe’ is the sixth track. The soaring number depicts JT’s fantasy of flying away to “make love on the moon” but isn’t particularly interesting.

Next, ‘That Girl’ opens with the line “all the way from Memphis Tennessee” and my ears instantly prick up as I hope it’s the new ‘Senorita’.

Unfortunately it lacks the pizzazz of the Spanish jazz number produced by the Neptunes that is still played in bars today.

A Samba beat was used for ‘Let The Groove Get In’, perhaps ‘The 20/20 Experience’ answer to the funky ‘Like I Love You’. It’s one of the songs on the album that most clearly transports you back to the feel good R&B JT was famed for and is a clear contrast to the melancholy songs coming out of the genre’s cool new top boys like Frank Ocean and The Weekend.

Then it’s on to the self-reflective ‘Mirrors’, Timberlake’s second single from the album and my personal favourite (which might just be because it has the crunch beats and heavy-build up reminiscent of ‘Cry Me A River’). It's a typical Timbaland production but also the deepest song on the album and the only one where you really want to listen to the lyrics.

The final song on JT’s third studio album, ‘Blue Ocean Floor’, shows off his vocals with a forlorn melody but hardly sees the record go out with a bang.

Nemesis_

^ YAS I am glad someone agrees.

I think I prefer the beat more than her vocals though.

Another 20/20 review:

1) Pusher Love Girl: A titillating tease when premiered live recently, the studio incarnation of the cut makes for an equally lush listen. From its orchestral intro, to its rousing chorus, this falsetto-heavy number makes for a stellar album opener. Is it the LP’s best track? We’d say close, but no cigar. It does, however, sonically set the tone for the rest of the listening experience.

2) Suit & Tie (ft. Jay-Z): Still as polarizing a track today as it was upon release, for us this makes for a markedly better listen when played at dizzyingly loud decibels. Take from that what you will.

3) Don’t Hold The Wall: With its prominent “knock” and heavy use of vocal layering, this moody mid-tempo is – like much of the album- trademark Timbaland. Convoluted in places (to the point where it’s sometimes hard to decipher what is being sung), the track still “works” on the strength of its production value. Indeed, like each song on the album, it boasts an outro that teeters on being a different song altogether – yet is the best of example of how such a concept can work. Initially a mellow groove, the track builds into a Reggae-esque climax that will have you doing the “bogle” and “butterfly” ‘til your joints hurt.

4) Strawberry Bubblegum: With lyrics such as “She’s my little strawberry bubblegum”, this is as empty as its title suggests. Filler.

5) Tunnel Vision: Another classic Timbaland offering, the track is a mid-tempo that manages to be busy in the best of ways. For, it serves up heavily stacked vocals, tribal sprinklings, and of course, ample use of “that” falsetto. The track’s only Achilles’ Heel is its length, which may leave many wondering where the end of the tunnel is.

6) Spaceship Coupe: Standout alert! Musically, there’s little else that delights more than a track that lives up to the quirky demands of its title. As such, we were elated at how astronomically stellar ‘Spaceship Coupe’ is. From its radio-ready melody to its epic guitar solo, this has embedded within it the makings of a monster single. Timberlake sings “Welcome to my spaceship coupe, there’s only room for two”. In many ways we wish he was singing it to us, that way this gem of track could be our selfish little secret. Incredible.

7) That Girl: Motown-like and melody driven, ‘Girl’ is very much a sing-a-long-song affair. Timberlake belts “I’m in love with that girl, so don’t be mad at me” and after listening to this, we’d have no reason to be. Solid album track.

8.) Let The Groove Get In: With its pulsating tribal intro, it’s clear from the start that the song’s title is more a command than it is a question. A hot pot of sounds, the track tackles “world music” with a contemporary flare – and will easily garner play in the club, on radio, and even at your local Salsa class! Infectious horns and cowbells leave the song ringing in one’s ear, while the catchy hook seals the deal. Timberlake chants “Are you comfortable (right there, right there). Let the groove get in!” One listen to this and you quite literally don’t have a choice. The best track on the album. Hands down.

9) Mirrors: Having just hit #1 on the UK charts without a video, it’s clear what the masses think of ‘Mirrors’. Does it innovate or titillate in the way other tracks on the album do? No. Yet, in tapping into the lyrical richness and sound that made ‘FutureSex’ such a hit, the mid-tempo serves as a safe, yet solid cut that has appeased the singer’s fiercest followers in a way ‘Suit & Tie’ couldn’t.

10) Blue Ocean Floor: While the schizophrenic production sparkles at points, it doesn’t pack enough to elevate this beyond filler status. What’s more, its “last track” placing somewhat mars the solid sequencing of the album. Random positioning for a random track.

Conclusive:

With ‘The 20/20 Experience’, Justin Timberlake serves up a sonically cohesive set that potently sells the vision of who he is (or, at least, wants to be) artistically at this point of his career.

Is the album without fault? Of course not. Exhausting runtimes and pretentious intro’s and outro’s suggest the LP thinks it’s better than it actually is. While radio programmers may struggle to pin-point songs that are single worthy. Indeed, the cuts screaming for “single treatment” here aren’t doing so because they meet a popular sound quota; it’s because they’re simply so good that they demand it. As such, when the hype has subsided, it’ll be interesting to see if radio keep spinning or tire of the song’s unstructured structure.

Two tracks being filler on an album of ten tracks? Mess.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
For the ablums
Beyonce 5 - 420k
Artpop - 710k
Britney 8 - 290k
20/20 - 430k

And just as a guess

Broke with expensive taste - 65k
Praying shes not another kreayshawn

People attack songs for not being "single-friendly" as if that's a bad thing. Those are usually the best songs on the album, lol.

Really looking forward to this album. And after reading those two reviews I'm even more hyped.

Aguila

#ICONIC
The Yung Rapunxel video is going to be craaazzy. I can't wait. *.*

but wtf at her putting it out so soon when it won't be officially released until the 26.

Nemesis_

but wtf at her putting it out so soon when it won't be officially released until the 26.

Probably trying to get it out there on the internet before someone sues her for breach of copyright law.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_

mhmm,

now I like the cover since it fits the ratchet crazy mess going on the song
Gaga better have kept Azealia on ARTPOP
ibll3hrehuCtUd.gif

NewNowNext skinning Christina Aguilera for "Feel This Moment." Sadly, all the tea in this article is accurate.
Pitbull and Christina Aguilera: This Song Is Depressing

You guys, I give up. I just can’t handle Christina Aguilera’s music anymore. She hasn’t released a truly great song since “Candyman,” and with each new release, she just keeps getting more and more boring. And formulaic. And forgettable. And she shouldn’t be any of those things! She has one of pop music’s most amazing voices! But her inexplicable song choices waste her talents on “Not Myself Tonight” and that stupid Blake Shelton duet is and that one song that was basically just her screaming “touch your body” over the sound of a Prius smashing into a pile of aluminum siding.

And yes: She did record a killer duet with Tony Bennett a few months ago, but that’s not enough. It’s almost hateful, actually, for her to make a throwaway record that highlights her skill in a way her mediocre electro-pop has stubbornly refused to do. (I’ll also give a pass to “Moves Like Jagger,” which is a great record. But she’s barely on it, so it hardly counts in her win column.)

I’ve been minding Christina’s altar for far too long, vainly hoping she’ll deliver another “Ain’t No Other Man” or “Dirrty” or “Beautiful.” But enough! I can’t burn another offering at her shrine! Not after she went and recorded a song with Pitbull. Pitbull!!!! Can you think of any artist who is more devoid of artistic vision than Pitbull? As I’ve said before, he doesn’t even try to disguise his superficial greed.. He listlessly growls over generic beats and uninspired samples, mentions Kodak, then waits for his check. And sure, sometimes his corporate music is enjoyable, but it ought to be beneath someone as talented as Christina Aguilera.

But nooooooooo. She’s right there on “Feel this Moment,” singing the hook and getting swallowed by the sample of a-ha’s “Take on Me.” This song is worse than bad. It’s boring. It’s not even trying to be interesting It’s just coloring by numbers with the most predictable colors.

God, this song. I’m forgetting it as soon as I hear it. This is what Xtina has become. Inessential. Vapid. Unoriginal. I’m not saying pop music isn’t a business and that pop stars don’t have to make money-minded decisions. I’m not that naive. But when artists like Bruno Mars and Pink and Adele and even freaking One Direction can make commercially accessible music that also has a bit of flair, then you’d think Christina could pull it off.

I’d say I could escape my disappointment by hiding out in the remote wilderness of Alaska, but Pitbull’s ass will just show up there, too.

Link: http://www.newnownext.com/pitbull-and-christina-aguilera-this-song-is-depressing/02/2013/

Nemesis_

Depends on what you're into I suppose. I only like Your Body and Let There Be Love.

The rest is boring too me, even that heavy handed reductive Enya track

Half is too generous, Lotus had like 3-4 decently usable songs at best.

Lotus is one of the few albums I own where there's an obvious difference in plays between one half of the album and the other. I have like 300 plays on Let There Be Love, Army Of Me and Just A Fool, and like 4 plays on the duds (I think I have just 1 play for Light Up The Sky, lol)

Nemesis_

Lotus is one of the few albums I own where there's an obvious difference in plays between one half of the album and the other. I have like 300 plays on Let There Be Love, Army Of Me and Just A Fool, and like 4 plays on the duds (I think I have just 1 play for Light Up The Sky, lol)

Lay Down The Fries was one of my least favourite songs too. I don't think I even made it past the first half >_>

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Where were the lies though? Except I suppose for understating Just A Fool's quality (or half the songs on Lotus rather).

First of all, the song is not depressing or boring at all, its typical Flo Rida/Pitbull club tracks. Xtina's chorus is probably one of her best in recent years aside from a very few track in Lotus. And to say its beneath her when she already did the same with Maroon 5 a year ago and several artist have worked with Pitbull/Flo Rida like Shakira, Sia, Marc Anthony, etc. She is a popstar looking for a hit at the end of the day no matter how much talent she has

Nemesis_

First of all, the song is not depressing or boring at all, its typical Flo Rida/Pitbull club tracks. Xtina's chorus is probably one of her best in recent years aside from a very few track in Lotus. And to say its beneath her when she already did the same with Maroon 5 a year ago and several artist have worked with Pitbull/Flo Rida like Shakira, Sia, Marc Anthony, etc. She is a popstar looking for a hit at the end of the day no matter how much talent she has

tbh I don't think the term depressing was used in a literal term sis

"Feel This Moment" IS really boring. I feel like I've heard this song about 30,000 times on the radio already, and it follows an archetype that's plagued radio for the past two years (rap verse, chorus by a guest, dance break with possible sample, rinse and repeat), and it's not even one of the better ones.

Moves Like Jagger was a unique case because Maroon 5 is hardly in the same ballpark as Pitbull or Flo Rida. They're actual musicians with some real creative direction (unforunately they directed that creativity up their own rectums after that single but that's another story) and Christina was an obvious choice for that song because she's Adam's mistress. It's only unfortunate that her most recent hits were mild features on songs that were probably going to do well without her anyway. She needs to start focusing on her legacy more because lazy features like "Smell This Stench" aren't doing her any favors.

botty

Banned
I don't use Feel This Moment, but Xtina makes the song worth listening to. Those girls better keep seething, cause she's gonna keep thriving.

ibxXsQnEGJSeW5.gif

Oh, that Azealia song.

iVAEepdAhG4rT.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Kii at the Xtuna stans acting like Lotus didn't exist. She was a part of MLJ, it went #1, and then her album failed to clock Nickel certification, and now that FTM is doing okay, they act like Lotus didn't happen.

Sorry, the public is NOT here for her, as demonstrated with her (lack of) album sales.

Kii at the Xtuna stans acting like Lotus didn't exist. She was a part of MLJ, it went #1, and then her album failed to clock Nickel certification, and now that FTM is doing okay, they act like Lotus didn't happen.

Sorry, the public is NOT here for her, as demonstrated with her (lack of) album sales.

The public isn't here for her until she releases an actual hit. Just like people weren't giving a shit about Jennifer Lopez until she smashed with "On The Floor." B-grade artists rely much more heavily on the quality of their releases than A-grade people like Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce, etc.

As far as I see the more accurate description is that most people didn't know that Lotus happened, and those that did weren't drawn to the album because there were no visible hits on display. It's a domino effect that can bury someone if they don't strategize correctly. In Xtina's case there was no strategy PERIOD.

botty

Banned
nnnnnnnn @ the seething.

Lotus definitely happeneD. Your Body went #1
on the dance charts
and sold decently despite having no promo.

Just a Fool was doinG well in North America, which should be expected from the Legend of The United States. That's the only two singles she put out, and despite her being incredibly lazy with this era they still found an audience.

And not you girls trying to pull a MLJ argument, and acting as if Xtina isn't the reason that Pitbull song is doing well. Did Shakira's pitbull collab smash? #oop

ibXAvGpZj5HTe.gif

royalan

I don't use Feel This Moment, but Xtina makes the song worth listening to. Those girls better keep seething, cause she's gonna keep thriving.

ibxXsQnEGJSeW5.gif

Oh, that Azealia song.

iVAEepdAhG4rT.gif

I agree. I don't use Feel This Moment, but Xtina gives the song it's only interesting moment. And when you hear it played in the club it's CLEAR which part of the song resonates with people.

And hey - at the end of the day it's a better song than scream and shout.

The public isn't here for her until she releases an actual hit. Just like people weren't giving a shit about Jennifer Lopez until she smashed with "On The Floor." B-grade artists rely much more heavily on the quality of their releases than A-grade people like Rihanna, Gaga, Beyonce, etc.

As far as I see the more accurate description is that most people didn't know that Lotus happened, and those that did weren't drawn to the album because there were no visible hits on display. It's a domino effect that can bury someone if they don't strategize correctly. In Xtina's case there was no strategy PERIOD.

The unfortunate truth.

Lotus was the most blundered album of 2012 for me. It didn't have to flop like it did, but at the same time, considering the little thought put into its promotion I have to say I'm surprised it sold as much as it did.

cory64

The unfortunate truth.

Lotus was the most blundered album of 2012 for me. It didn't have to flop like it did, but at the same time, considering the little thought put into its promotion I have to say I'm surprised it sold as much as it did.

Lotus promo was just...
Not every artist has to hold journalists hostage for a week while hotboxing a jumbo jet, but they could have at least give ha [s o m e] decent promo.

Majmun

Xtina re-flopping with Lotus is depressing. I hoped her to mass clock POPGAF with her new success.

Maybe next time.

royalan

Setting the bar awfully low there.

True, but it does highlight the fact that there has always been a lot of expectations when Christina records. I mean, Brit could feature in that shitty ass song and nobody really bats an eye because nobody expects much out of her at this point. But since Christina's DEBUT she's had to deal with dual expectations. She's got this big, soulful voice so whenever she does pure Pop she gets hit with the "wasting her voice" criticisms. But whenever she does big ballads or mid-tempos she slammed with being a wannabe Whitney/Mariah.

The only thing I agree with that awful New Now Next review is the praise he lumped on Candyman. Really is one of her best songs, and falls into this place between Pop and Soul that is so uniquely her. Only Christina could have made that song. Only Xtina could have made that ALBUM, actually.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Lotus promo was just...
Not every artist has to hold journalists hostage for a week while hotboxing a jumbo jet, but they could have at least give ha [s o m e] decent promo.

That 777 tour was some amazing promo.

Your faves wish they could captivate hundreds of websites editors hostage for a whole week willingly.

#RihannasimpacT

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
So I thought Kelly's next single, "People Like Us," was supposed to come out soon. Just looked it up and saw this:

http://www.kelly-clarkson.net/us/kelly-clarkson-show-on-the-microsoft-store-opening-in-san-antonio/
The first is that the new single “People Like Us” will be launched with a live performance on American Idol. She can not sing this song live before that day.

I don't watch Idol, but hopefully that performance is soon. I love the song, and I'm sort of interested to see how it fares. I'm mostly interested, though, in seeing her sing it live.

botty

Banned
That 777 tour was some amazing promo.

Your faves wish they could captivate hundreds of websites editors hostage for a whole week willingly.

#Rihannaspower*

To be honest, Rihanna's ability to penetrate the media with relentless promo is very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom