• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

I don't get the Kelly dragging tbh.

V5p7V.gif

royalan

This is a lie. Or are you going to bury your head in the sand and pretend that selling 10 million albums today is as easy as it was in 2000?

Kelly selling 12 million albums in 2005 is easily as impressive as 17 million in 1999. Album sales TODAY are off 60% from their peak 99/00 and it was a fairly stead trend downwards.

Even if it was only off 30% in 2005 that would still put her virtually on par with Xtincta.

I'm not pretending that album sales weren't larger back then than they are now. YOU, however, are pretending like your fave debuted in 2005 when, really, she's been in the game ALMOST AS LONG as Xtina.

Well I can understand it. Since Kelly does everything Xtina doesn't nowadays.

Tours
Is vocally competent
Gets radio hits
Sells albums
Wins Grammy's
Sells Singles

I would be jealous too.

I don't see where the jealousy is, boo. I mean, I wouldn't be stanning Xtina if she put out music as boring and focus-grouped as Kelly does. Kelly won her prestige by being as safe as humanly possible. My fave won her grammys putting out standard setting albums that still get mentioned with the greats to this day. Will people remember stronger NEXT YEAR? Does ANYONE remember My December PERIOD?

cory64

EDIT: Also, 17 million albums sold is 17 million albums sold. That number isn't inflated just because YOUR fave has never, will never, and COULD NEVER do it. Besides, it's not like Christina was the top selling act at the time. There were several acts out there selling more, so how is it that the numbers are inflated just because it's her?
Christina's peak was during the biggest era for album sales. Still some damn impressive receipts but the eras aren't comparable.
That would be like saying Christina's s/t was as big as Adele's 21.

I'm not pretending that album sales were larger back then than they are now. YOU, however, are pretending like your fave debuted in 2005 when, really, she's been in the game ALMOST AS LONG as Xtina.

Already acknowledged that in my edit.

I hated Thankful so I don't mind giving Xtina that era. Not sure why i forgot about that album.....

I don't see where the jealousy is, boo. I mean, I wouldn't be stanning Xtina if she put out music as boring and focus-grouped as Kelly does. Kelly won her prestige by being as safe as humanly possible. My fave won her grammys putting out standard setting albums that still get mentioned with the greats to this day. Will people remember stronger NEXT YEAR? Does ANYONE remember My December PERIOD?
The delusion.

The Breakaway and My December era's were not safe by any means (and YES My December will be remembered as a fan favorite and because of all the controversy). People forget how "rock" Kelly was at that time compared to most pop music. She was a bridge between pop, rock, and alternative that have never existed before.

During the AIEW and Stronger era's her pop hits have been safe yes. However, her foray's into country certainly have not been with her high profile collabs when it is well known how antagonistic country radio is to pop crossovers. Even her latest country single Don't Rush was a huge risk and is NOTHING like what is on country radio today.

There are many ways to take risks.....Kelly just changes up HOW she takes risks. At the end of the day she continues to be successful as a result of the risks she takes.....unlike others.

OMFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

DANGER DANGER DANGER

Now I just need a M.I.A. and Azealia collab

Oh BTW I will need your JT 20/20 prediction in the next couple of days for the predictions contest. I already have your #'s for Bey, Brit, and Gaga (though you can change them if you desire).

royalan

The delusion.

The Breakaway and My December era's were not safe by any means (and YES My December will be remembered as a fan favorite and because of all the controversy). People forget how "rock" Kelly was at that time compared to most pop music. She was a bridge between pop, rock, and alternative that have never existed before.

During the AIEW and Stronger era's her pop hits have been safe yes. However, her foray's into country certainly have not been with her high profile collabs when it is well known how antagonistic country radio is to pop crossovers. Even her latest country single Don't Rush was a huge risk and is NOTHING like what is on country radio today.

There are many ways to take risks.....Kelly just changes up HOW she takes risks.

The delusion.

The Breakaway and My December era's were not safe by any means (and YES My December will be remembered as a fan favorite and because of all the controversy). People forget how "rock" Kelly was at that time compared to most pop music.

People forget how "rock" Kelly was at that time compared to most pop music.

People forget

ibrcuA7b4cruA3.gif

About as clever as your fav's "risks" in recent years.

ibrcuA7b4cruA3.gif

You should join the #NAVY. Your ability to know when losing and to try to redirect towards trivial details has increased drastically.

I noticed you didn't actually refute my pointing out your blatant lies about Kelly not taking risks though. I am glad you admit that I am correct.

Edit:
No one actually "forgets" how rock Kelly was. However, she was a massive trendsetter during that era and that type of guitar/rock driven pop tracks are now common place which is why Kelly blends in more now.

royalan

About as clever as your fav's "risks" in recent years.

ibrcuA7b4cruA3.gif

You should join the #NAVY. Your ability to know when losing and to try to redirect towards trivial details has increased drastically.

I noticed you didn't actually refute my pointing out your blatant lies about Kelly not taking risks though. I am glad you admit that I am correct.

I didn't address your point about Kelly taking risks with Country because I didn't agree. I don't think Kelly's transition to Country has been all that risky at all. In fact, I think it's the exact opposite.

I mean, not to play to demographics but...Kelly is a pretty white girl from Texas, and even in her POPPIEST moments her sound has always been strongly Soul-influenced with a helping of Rock and a tinge of Country. The potential for Country has ALWAYS been there with Kelly; you didn't hear it in songs like "Because of You" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes"? I mean, the former was even rerecorded as a duet with Reba McEntire for god sakes
don't come for me either because I love me some Reba and STANNED that version of the song
. It's not like Rihanna or even Jessica Simpon's attempts at getting some Country hits. Crossing over to Country was always inevitable for Kelly. I mean - HEW is really surprised by it. That's not a fucking risk. It's going even safer than she ALREADY was.

I didn't address your point about Kelly taking risks with Country because I didn't agree. I don't think Kelly's transition to Country has been all that risky at all.

I mean, not to play to demographics but...Kelly is a pretty white girl from Texas, and even in her POPPIEST moments her sound has always been strongly Soul-influenced with a helping of Rock and a tinge of Country. The potential for Country has ALWAYS been there with Kelly; you didn't hear it in songs like "Because of You" and "Behind These Hazel Eyes"? I mean, the former was even rerecorded as a duet with Reba McEntire for god sakes
don't come for me either because I love me some Reba and STANNED that version of the song
. It's not like Rihanna or even Jessica Simpon's attempts at getting some Country hits. Crossing over to Country was always inevitable for Kelly. I mean - HEW is really surprised by it. That's not a fucking risk. It's going even safer than she ALREADY was.

I agree with the overall sentiment. A transition into Country has seemed natural, but I don't think that makes it not risky. She has YET to break through with a solo single, yet she keeps trying with all kinds of different approaches...... that doesn't sound safe to me.

Don't Rush in particular was risky as hell.

y'all are doing the most. that new azealia song is a damn mess. did she alienate every good producer and now is working with 14 year olds with pirated copies of fruity loops?

royalan

Eh that was just AC bait. Wasn't sent to country.

...I thought it was sent to Country? Or maybe I'm just reading more into that Sugarland performance...

Anywho, my Jessica Simpson comparison still stands. There goes a girl who was ALL Pop thinking she could transition to Country after Pop gave her the boot.

NOPE

Country has always been in Kelly's ballpark, though.

...I thought it was sent to Country? Or maybe I'm just reading more into that Sugarland performance...

Anywho, my Jessica Simpson comparison still stands. There goes a girl who was ALL Pop thinking she could transition to Country after Pop gave her the boot.

NOPE

Country has always been in Kelly's ballpark, though.

It SHOULD be.

If her new single doesn't get play then its never going to happen.

But you KNOW it's going to.

But in the off-chance it doesn't she could always do a duet with Miguel and give me some ratchet R&B. THAT would be a risk.

Kelly is more than willing to take risks with collabs.

It just so happens that the cowards in the industry do not want to be outshone and usually reject her :(

Trigger

But in the off-chance it doesn't she could always do a duet with Miguel and give me some ratchet R&B. THAT would be a risk.

I was always curious if Kelly was serious about wanting to sing with him. I'd love to see Kelly put that versatility to use.

I was always curious if Kelly was serious about wanting to sing with him. I'd love to see Kelly put that versatility to use.

lol she is a total collaboration whore (not afraid to admit it).

She would do it in a second. It all depends on whether HE would be willing to go along as well.

True. We'll see if Stay does well on AC, if not she still has 30 other formats dedicated to her.

Thing about AC is that it is a VERY slow moving format. Songs often peak on it months after they peak on Top 40. Rihanna tends to not stick with singles that long, which takes the wind out of them before they can reach their full potential on the format.

cory64

Thing about AC is that it is a VERY slow moving format. Songs often peak on it months after they peak on Top 40. Rihanna tends to not stick with singles that long, which takes the wind out of them before they can reach their full potential on the format.

She's going a lot slower this era, probably won't work out for that though.
Urban also goes a little too fast, Pour It Up didn't reach its full potential because she didn't get a video out in time.

She's going a lot slower this era, probably won't work out for that though.
Urban also goes a little too fast, Pour It Up didn't reach its full potential because she didn't get a video out in time.

Yeah. That was another move that baffled me.

There is almost no point in even bothering to release one now.

(I also need your JT prediction. You made predictions for the other 3)

X

cory64

Yeah. That was another move that baffled me.

There is almost no point in even bothering to release one now.

(I also need your JT prediction. You made predictions for the other 3)

X

edit: PIU could probably go top 10 on the H100 for a week with the new rules if she put a video out.

Coolio <3

Also. Radio update FINALLY came in today..... Stay seems to be struggling with POP of all things right now. I really like the song so I am kinda rooting for it, but it needs pop to pick up if it is to have any chance to reach top 5 on radio.

16. RIHANNA &#8211; Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 79.663 (+1.351)

Not bad, but only a .200 from pop stations.

royalan

Coolio <3

Also. Radio update FINALLY came in today..... Stay seems to be struggling with POP of all things right now. I really like the song so I am kinda rooting for it, but it needs pop to pick up if it is to have any chance to reach top 5 on radio.

16. RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 79.663 (+1.351)

It seems like Pop spins are going down for a number of songs right now, strangely.

Feel This Moment also dipped on Pop the last two days.

Luckily for Feel This Moment the video hasn't dropped yet. *.*

Trigger

Coolio <3

16. RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 79.663 (+1.351)

Odd. It seems like one of Rih's more well received singles.

Koodo

Banned
EDIT: Also, 17 million albums sold is 17 million albums sold. That number isn't inflated just because YOUR fave has never, will never, and COULD NEVER do it. Besides, it's not like Christina was the top selling act at the time. There were several acts out there selling more, so how is it that the numbers are inflated just because it's her?
Why do the Fatters keep spreading this lie? It's reminiscent of the B2B Tour receipts of 90$ million (LOL) when it was just above half of that in reality.

The 17 million for Xtigmata's debut is actually the figure for records sold (singles + albums), a word that in their immense delusion and desperation to build a mountainous career out of a mole hill the Fatters have twisted to albums sold. In reality, the Debut album scanned in the vecinity of 11 million.

It seems like even Belly six years later outsold Xsphincta.

ibytNvGeJ4Ttpn.gif

Why do the Fatters keep spreading this lie? It's reminiscent of the B2B Tour receipts of 90$ million (LOL) when it was just above half of that in reality.

The 17 million for Xtigmata's debut is actually the figure for records sold (singles + albums), a word that in their immense delusion and desperation to build a mountainous career out of a mole hill the Fatters have twisted to albums sold. In reality, the Debut album scanned in the vecinity of 11 million.

It seems like even Belly six years later outsold Xsphincta.

Did not know this. Noted for future reference.

We already knew that Breakaway had more/bigger hits. Knowing it also sold more is icing.

Icicle

NEW PAGE, NEW NEWS:
Body Party goes up on iTunes tomorrow/midnight, for those who are interested.

Release date got moved up because people seem to actually care about this one. First good thing Ciara's management has done right.

Yesterday's AI:
CIARA &#8211; Body Party: 1.457 (+0.099)

iJn6Zzjl5aKoI.gif

Trigger

Lana is stunning. She's really grown into those lips. *.*

RE Ciara: I might actually purchase that Body Party song it's not half bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom