• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

I'm here for Crystal Kay gifs...*.*

iDJ7kpV98TzPa.gif

This unnecessary dig, choke on it

You drag Kelly on a regular basis. Don't try to deny it.

You completely change your tune when she is putting on a free concert for you though.

The dig was 100% necessary.

iz4mcbnzhRpV.gif

Zayn stans have it too easy anyways..... bout time you experienced the same pains as the rest of us.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Zayn stans have it too easy anyways..... bout time you experienced the same pains as the rest of us.

Bye, Zayn is the least liked from 1D and the tabloids are always making up stories about him,
his sensitivity already made him have a twitter breakdown

and if you would see all the racism directed at him on a daily basis, it aint right
iy7tjc1icCF4a.gif

Bye, Zayn is the least liked from 1D and the tabloids are always making up stories about him,
his sensitivity already made him have a twitter breakdown

and if you would see all the racism directed at him on a daily basis, it aint right

Well
OFWkigV.gif

jk

Yeah his twitter meltdown was pretty ugly, though I doubt he gets much more crap than Harry or Louis.

Supermanisdead presents:

yMTYrkd.png

This list took forever, but it is, without a doubt, the quintessential Beyoncé song list. Criteria for getting into this list are simple: must be good. Of course with that criteria, every single Beyoncé song
except Videophone
qualifies for this list, but these are the 20 BEST songs. These early picks are mostly fluid in their positioning since there are so many moods and styles presented it's hard to objectively class one as better than another. Anyways, enjoy it.

EieUnTV.jpg

#20: Ego
I Am... Sasha Fierce (2008)
WHY: Unapologetically sexual, playful and strong. Who needs subtly?
Listen

5RGl4iV.jpg

#19: End of Time
4 (2011)
WHY: Equal parts Destiny's Child and African drum beats with a pulse-pounding bridge to die for.
Listen

Xb6wdNV.jpg

#18: Radio
WHY: 1980's synthpop inspired jam that's wildly different from what you'd expect, yet somehow immediately recognizable as a Beyoncé song.
Listen

2FwLaBF.jpg

#17: Start Over
4 (2011)
WHY: Clean R&B ballad with a dramatic, lively chorus. It's a bit expected, but sometimes classic is best.
Listen

Oe3DVXU.jpg

#16: Deja Vu
B'Day (2006)
WHY: The spiritual sequel to Crazy in Love, this song ramps up the soul to 20 in the chorus and bridge and features some of the best hooks in a rap-sung collaboration.
Listen

Fey

Banned
lol @ the completely contrasting opinions of 20/20 between this thread and its OT

people thinking it will be album of the year material

ibss2aeu1K7HjY.gif

Interested in seeing the rest of the list Super, though I already disagree with most of it, lol.

End of Time is top 5 for me, and Ego/Radio wouldn't touch that top 20.

Koodo

Banned
Not even halfway through the album and I'm getting tired of The 20/06 Experience.

And I can't help but think most of these songs would sound much better with a stronger voice like Miguel's.

The album isn't as bad as I expected (listened to a chunk before I got bored....will listen to the rest tomorrow), but I still can't get into it.

yMTYrkd.png

Songs 15-11.

rHrAgeI.jpg

#15: Check On It
B'Day (2006)
WHY: Admittedly only here for the chorus, because fuck Slim Thug and Bun B.
Listen

Yuw3IQo.jpg

#14: Halo
WHY: A sweeping, soulful ballad that emphasizes Beyoncé's voice above all and it works perfectly.
Listen

GIre0aT.jpg

#13: I Miss You
4 (2011)
WHY: Sparse and haunting and reminiscent of the neo-soul popularity in the early 2000s. It's effortless production pairs well with Beyoncé's low-key and understated vocals.
Listen

bQ6LOxX.jpg

#12: Party
4 (2011)
WHY: Funky, smooth and young. Party takes everything that Beyoncé removed in I Miss You and doubles it. The rap verses, whether Andre 3000's or J.Cole's, are charismatic and the perfect accompaniment to the singing.
Listen

BXuWzU0.jpg

#11: Upgrade U
B'Day (2006)
WHY: One word: infectious. Tell me it's not stuck in your head right now.
Listen

Listening to JT right now. Pusher Love Girl is amazing! I can feel this will be a great album

Interested in seeing the rest of the list Super, though I already disagree with most of it, lol.

End of Time is top 5 for me, and Ego/Radio wouldn't touch that top 20.

I'd like to see your list. I kinda hated Ego at first, but it just clicked one day and now it's just so fun.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
Done, Mirrors remains the best song and the one I will use

on a side note, Yung Rapunxel is much more life giving after listening to this album
iMHi3ez0JSvOC.gif

Decided to do a full listen of 20/20 to get an initial mini review out. DAMN it's hard to get through.

Only on Don't Hold The Wall and it is already painful to continue listening.

Reading the OT thread was disturbing until I realized that general gaf's endorsement is probably a good sign that the general public will reject the sound.

Not even halfway through the album and I'm getting tired of The 20/06 Experience.

And I can't help but think most of these songs would sound much better with a stronger voice like Miguel's.
The hell?
i4MUflT9c0TQe.gif

Miguels voice is a distraction. All squeaky and whiny. No thanks, tbh.
Spaceship Coupe is cute.

Strawberry Bubblegum is almost terrible.

The outro to SB saved it for me, shame the outro to Mirrors couldn't do the same. Its the only song I actively dislike on the album, with Let The Groove Get In at a close second.

Well? How do you like it?
You shouldn't have to ask me that question.
Well?
Allllright
How do you like it?

(hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey)

How do you like it?
I love it. I love it.

(hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey hey)

Well? How do you like it?

I LIVE
ibfJ1kb0O4yk51.gif

EDIT: Wait, this next song is bad. Strawberry Bubblegum, I'm guessing.

Koodo

Banned
The outro to SB saved it for me, shame the outro to Mirrors couldn't do the same. Its the only song I actively dislike on the album, with Let The Groove Get In at a close second.
Yes, the outro to Strawberry Bubblegum is the only reason I didn't call it flat-out terrible.

Let The Groove Get In is tremendously generic and forgettable. What a sad display of uptempo from the same guy responsible for SexyBack.

I appreciate the retro-throwback with futuristic sprinklings the album had up until and including Spaceship Coupe. Everything after is a sad pastiche of Disgustin's previous efforts.

Trigger

I feel bad for JT. I feel like the album is great. So cohesive and tightly produced.........but there's not a song on there I feel would slay as a single. The outros and transitions are top quality shit tho. I need to relisteN.

Blue Ocean floor is positively dull. Up til those last 3 tracks, I thought I had another Voodoo, by D'angelo on my hands. Those tracks aside, I can see 20/20 in the rotation.

7/10

imHfc2B1uV4EE.gif

I don't think JT could have made this album LESS accessible to the GP if he tried...... I personally despise all into's and outro's to begin with so. Yeah.

(Same goes for music videos *glares*)

yMTYrkd.png

Songs 15-11.

rHrAgeI.jpg

#15: Check On It
B'Day (2006)
WHY: Admittedly only here for the chorus, because fuck Slim Thug and Bun B.
Listen

Yuw3IQo.jpg

#14: Halo
I Am... Sasha Fierce (2009)
WHY: A sweeping, soulful ballad that emphasizes Beyoncé's voice above all and it works perfectly.
Listen

GIre0aT.jpg

#13: I Miss You
4 (2011)
WHY: Sparse and haunting and reminiscent of the neo-soul popularity in the early 2000s. It's effortless production pairs well with Beyoncé's low-key and understated vocals.
Listen

bQ6LOxX.jpg

#12: Party
4 (2011)
WHY: Funky, smooth and young. Party takes everything that Beyoncé removed in I Miss You and doubles it. The rap verses, whether Andre 3000's or J.Cole's, are charismatic and the perfect accompaniment to the singing.
Listen

BXuWzU0.jpg

#11: Upgrade U
B'Day (2006)
WHY: One word: infectious. Tell me it's not stuck in your head right now.
Listen

Yessss I Miss You gettin' that spot. I'm gonna guess the top 5:

1) Crazy In Love
2) Naughty Girl
3) Freakum Dress
4) Love on Top
5) Countdown

Margin of error being +/- 450%. lol

Koodo

Banned
Blue Ocean Floor is a TRAGIC ENDING. I'm not sure why so many artists keep trying it with boring ass songs as album closers. It rarely works.

I can only think of Björk's All Is Full of Love for Homogenic as a good example.

The 20/06 Experience was there. The last portion of the album is terrible; the beginning and middle are cute. A rotund 6/10.

Koodo

Banned
Oh, and Suit & Tie sounds better sandwiched between Pusher Love Girl and Don't Hold The Wall. For a brief moment I thought Disgustin was going to pull a most unexpected slaying, but Strawberry Bubblegum quickly dashed those hopes.

I will use: Pusher Love Girl, Suit & Tie, Don't Hold The Wall, Spaceship Coupe. Maybe Tunnel Vision will be inducted into this list after some simmering.

NOW would be a good time for Bey to release her single and announce her album.

After listening to the embarrassment that is 20/20 I would probably give Bey 5/5 on every track.

I can't wait till radio pays him dust and he barely squeaks his way to platinum.

Just finishing up Tunnel Vision and this is a solid album so far. The only song I don't use is Strawberry Bubblegum so far. It's just... poor. No other word to explain that song.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
NOW would be a good time for Bey to release her single and announce her album.

After listening to the embarrassment that is 20/20 I would probably give Bey 5/5 on every track.

I can't wait till radio pays him dust and he barely squeaks his way to platinum.

.... check iTunes and the radio updates
ihmbtM9PQeuUF.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom