• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icicle

"Body Party" by Ciara is now on iTunes.

Let me see if I have 129 coins to donate to this poor flop bitch.

I wonder how high it will peak on the iTunes top 100. Will it even chart on the Billboard Hot 100?

Sounds like posting a receipt of your 129 cent "donation" has a very real possibility of putting you below the poverty line.

Poor dat.

ibvDUOWxKbEnHN.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
Sounds like posting a receipt of your 129 cent "donation" has a very real possibility of putting you below the poverty line.

Poor dat.

ibvDUOWxKbEnHN.gif

Poverty and Ciara. Two topics that are closely related, since she's only sold 300k albums over the past 5 years.

Poor that.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Please clock those in the OT who are in love with the overindulgent intros and outros that Tim has unfortunately tacked on to each song. When someone does a album mix where all the intros and outros are clipped and it's just the songs, I'll probably like the album, and it'll be down to a reasonable amount of time for an album with 10 songs.
The songs seriously don't earn these huge lengths - Mirrors is 8 minutes!

botty

Banned
Don't Hold The Wall and Blue Ocean Floor are both great. I feel like Don't Hold The Wall is the only really long song that I don't mind the length of.

royalan

Pitbull just confirmed on his Facebook page that the Feel This Moment video is premiering sometime THIS WEEK.

The director of the video confirmed on Twitter that Xtina IS in the video.

I am READY for more Videotina ServingFISHlera!

ibh0DTxRCLrHQo.gif

cory64

A second listen did no favors for the 8/20 experience. Even the decent stuff is just that, decent. A truly excessive exercise of an album.

Koodo

Banned
A second listen did no favors for the 8/20 experience. Even the decent stuff is just that, decent. A truly excessive exercise of an album.
Yeah, my opinion of the album is plummeting at an astounding rate. I'm getting tired of the few songs that I liked.

royalan

Pusher Love Girl – Like the retro beat. Sounds like classic D’Angelo. Vocally, Justin cruises over the beat. Timbaland is clearly at his best here (love his vocalizations in the background). Minor quip, but the track starts to sound bigger than Justin’s verse around the bridge. Timbaland’s production seems to swell beyond a point where JT can keep up. I agree with Koodo: a stronger vocalist would have done this track more justice, and I find myself easily imagining other singers approaching this song because Justin’s own vocals don’t lend a very one-of-a-kind quality. You get the impression that any soul crooner could have done this track. Still enjoying the song, though……… A minute into this outro and I’m thinking the song could have ended already. The beat switch was nice, at first - but the beat itself is basic, and not really adding much to the song it quickly overstays its welcome. Justin’s lyrics here aren't really expounding more on the theme. We get it: you’re obsessed with the girl. We don’t need 500 more addiction metaphors.

Suit & Tie – Another mid-tempo groove. Strangely, just as alluring as it is plodding and hookless. Production itself reminds me of early 2000s R-Kelly, but lacking his presence. Really goes nowhere, and Jay Z’s over-the-hill verse adds nothing. Justin sounds so unnatural adopting the phrases of a 70s soul singer. I imagine a young boy trying on his grandfather’s old pimp suit he found in the attic.....Another unnecessary outro. Also, I don’t know if it’s the mixing or my speaker setup, but this is another track where I feel like Justin’s vocals are smaller than the production.

Don’t Hold The Wall – Ok…I think I like this. I’m getting STRONG 2006 Timbaland vibes from this, this psychedelic soul/hip-hop/pop sound…but it works this time. Justin’s vocals seem to swim in the track. An aside, I wish Timbaland would check his fucking ego in his production sometimes; we do not need your vocals on EVERY track you produce, Tim. His background vocals feel unnecessary here and seem to fight with JT’s already meager voice for dominance. We definitely didn't need him here. Still, this is my favorite track so far. And the first track on this album that I don’t immediately think would be done better by Robin Thicke…………Yet ANOTHER outro. At this point I’m thinking Justin needs to edit himself. Extended tracks that are 8+ minutes can be totally fine, if you use that extra time to really expand on the core theme of the song in a different way (best example I can think of for this is Jill Scott’s "Le Boom Vent Suite"). Justin’s not doing that here. You get the impression that he had these leftover beats that he couldn't flesh into complete ideas and so he just tacked them on to complete songs.

Strawberry Bubblegum – I LOVE the start of this (“Such a mellow mellow mellow day…”). But then I find myself getting lost. The song condenses into this “blah” mush, and nothing really stands out. First track I wanted to skip without giving it a complete listen. The production is fine (great even, love this urban take on bossa nova), but I think this is another case of me thinking the song would have been done more justice by a stronger vocalist who could have incorporated more dynamics into the lines. Justin’s delivery is just____________________________flat. I am surprisingly in LOVE with the production, though. It’s actually Justin’s vocal delivery killing this track. Congrats, Timbaland…………wait, another fucking outro? Are you fucking serious? Ok…this one is actually slaying me, unlike the others, but I still can’t shake the feeling that they’re more than a bit superfluous at this point. “Strawberry bubble gummmmmmmmm…”

Tunnel Vision - …Ok. I might owe Timbaland the slightest apology. I initially thought his stale-ass production would be the worst part of this album; but Timbaland seems to be in RARE form here. The production on Tunnel Vision is SLAYING me – this beat sounds like CLASSIC 90’s Timbaland, and this song is something I could easily imagine Aaliyah (RIP Baby Girl ;___;) singing. In fact, Justin’s vocals on this song kind of remind me of a male version of her (the light crooning mixed with staccato-like phrasing “I can’t deny it. And I won’t try it. And I stand by it.”), although not as effortless. Rather than getting lost in the production, like in the previous tracks, Justin’s soft voice seems to ground the production here. I am honestly loving this. Tim’s trademark beatboxing at the end is making me miss the good ol days when he rolled with Missy and Magoo (getting “Beep Me 911” vibes). This track might be the triumph of the album for me.

Spaceship Coupe – The first song where Justin’s voice annoyed me from the JUMP. He just doesn’t have the skill to pull off that raw soul he’s going for here. The beat is grooving me, though. Sounds like a Jamie Foxx/The Dream track. This is the kind of song you get drunk and fuck on the couch to. This would slay urban radio, but I can’t help but feel that this song doesn’t really fit what we’ve heard on the album so far. Especially when this guitar comes in………The outro does this song NO favors. Again, we get the point, Justin. Not even Marvin Gaye attempted this many extended tracks on a single album.

That Girl – ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. I really have no notes on this one other than that. Plodding. Pure filler. Justin’s vocals just don’t rise to the occasion.

Let The Groove Get In – This song is repetitive, and not in the good way. Starts off with an interesting tribal beat, but I think the heavy synths that come in around the chorus actually get in the way of the vibe. Justin’s vocals are completely uninspired, as per usual. For someone pleading for us to “let the groove get in,” he sounds completely bored. I can imagine Justin being a DJ on a local cruise ship working his 6th shift of the week and feigning enthusiasm as he tries to get the crowd on the floor to do the electric slide one last time before docking. THAT’S the kind of non-excitement I’m getting from this track…oh yay, another outro. Wait, I think I might like this one. The 80s Pop vibe kinda serves the track well here.

Mirrors – Cry Me a River 2.0 production-wise. Lyrically, it’s not treading any new ground from all the other love-struck tracks on this one-note album. Jessica Biel must be hitting them walls good and RIGHT with that strap-on. At this point the album is getting exhausting….the outro does this song no fucking favors. Edit, Justin. EDIT.

Blue Ocean Floor – Someone mentioned Bjork earlier in the thread, and I agree that this has an eerie Bjork sound to it. Justin’s vocals do nothing to elevate the track to that Bjork place, though. Seems like he’s given up on mimicking R. Kelly/D'Angelo/Robin Thicke here and is trying his hand at Coldplay with his vocals. I’m forgetting this track EVEN AS I’M LISTENING TO IT.

Final Verdict: The first half is a surprising triumph for Timbaland. The entire thing is an uninspired failure for JT, featuring the most uninspired vocal performance I've heard on a album since whatever the fuck Macy Gray released last. If this is what you came out of retirement to bring back to music, Justin, go back to B-rated movies.

INvEC3E.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
My blonde wig arrived today.

Garage Lady Gaga bubble suit commences this Saturday.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
It was posted in gaming, but it's relevant to here to

THE ENTERTAINMENT TOP 40 FOR UK : http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/call-...buster/0112263

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops II, Activision Blizzard –––– 2,672,364
2. FIFA 13, Electronic Arts –––– 2,601,877
3. The Dark Knight Rises, Warner Home Video –––– 1,694,434
4. The Twilight Saga – Breaking Dawn – Part 1, Entertainment One –––– 1,515,604
5. Our Version of Events (Emeli Sande), Universal Music –––– 1,446,844
6. Now That's What I Call Music 83 (Various Artists), EMI Music/Universal Music –––– 1,389,006
7. Avengers Assemble, Walt Disney Studios ––– 1,349,937
8. TED, Universal Pictures –––– 1,188,295
9. War Horse, Walt Disney Studios –––– 986,870
10. The Hunger Games, Elevation Sales –––– 946,592
11. Mrs Brown's Boys – Series One, Universal Pictures ––– 913,145
12. The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel, 20th Century Fox ––– 888,629
13. Assassin's Creed III, Ubisoft ––– 886,198
14. Now That's What I Call Music 82 (Various Artists), EMI Music/Universal Music ––– 866,031
15. Prometheus, 20th Century Fox ––– 853,079
16. Ice Age 4 – Continental Drift, 20th Century Fox ––– 819,009
17. 21 (Adele), XL Beggars ––– 816,317
18. Sherlock Holmes – A Game of Shadows, Warner Home Video ––– 816,126
19. + (Ed Sheeran), Warner Music ––– 811,038
20. Now That's What I Call Music 81 (Various Artists), EMI Music/Universal Music ––– 756,035

21. Halo 4, Microsoft ––– 753,489
22. Born To Die (Lana del Rey), Universal Music ––– 743,210
23. Brave, Walt Disney Studios ––– 743,021
24. Bridesmaids, Universal Pictures ––– 710,185
25. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, Elevation Sales ––– 707,875
26. Johnny English Reborn, Universal Pictures –––– 694,651
27. Mrs Brown's Boys – Series Two, Universal Pictures –––– 670,956
28. The Amazing Spider-Man, Sony Pictures –––– 656,620
29. The Woman In Black, Momentum Pictures –––– 654,589
30. Take Me Home One Direction, Sony Music ––– 643,433
31. Right Place Right Time, Olly Murs ––– Sony Music 597,370
32. The Adventures of TinTin – The Secrets Of, Paramount –––– 597,282
33. Babel Mumford & Sons, Universal Music –––– 592,173
34. Mrs Brown's Live Tour – Good Mourning, Universal Pictures ––– 585,925
35. Michael McIntyre Showtime, Universal Pictures –––– 579,011
36. Hitman Absolution, Square Enix –––– 571,248
37. Just Dance 4, Ubisoft –––– 562,453
38. Despicable Me, Universal Pictures –––– 549,111
39. Mission Impossible – Ghost Protocol, Paramount –––– 545,502
40. Far Cry 3, Ubisoft -––– 540,237

A quick look over the list, and frankly
iNptpRCaq30VP.gif

Never realised that my country stans for such boring uninspired music. Although queen Lana rightfully deserves a spot on that list
even if it should be higher

ibpgywN1cGR9eQ.gif

Dance music has virtually no presence, wonder what it means for the future of my faves

Trigger

I actually just bought Emeli Sande's album. Happy to see it so high on this list.

snip

Final Verdict: The first half is a surprising triumph for Timbaland. The entire thing is an uninspired failure for JT, featuring the most uninspired vocal performance I've heard on a album since whatever the fuck Macy Gray released last. If this is what you came out of retirement to bring back to music, Justin, go back to B-rated movies.

INvEC3E.png

I expected something far less reasonable. It's funny to see the divide on opinions of this album between POP-GAF and the OT thread.

Nemesis_

I guess it makes sense for the Bey stans to be so willing to accept trash into their lives considering all their fave can do [right now] is make love to her Instagram filters and grandparents' wardrobe.

Poor them.

nnnnn Trigger why did you have to post I was just coming for the BeyHIV

I can't wait until Bey adds "new album" to the list of "things I pretend to have".

EDIT: Don't forget to vote in the POPGAF Community Awards! oxoxooxox

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15mDxNjb08FlIuuADdQo-E_cXjaK-LRsB6zYBDrAUc-c/viewform

DMeisterJ

Banned
RIHANNA – Pour It Up: 83.560 (+0.512)
RIHANNA – Stay f/Mikky Ekko: 81.865 (+2.202)

And they said that PIU peaked. #icant at having two songs slay on multiple formats.

Who else?

ibnRDChYljBmqe.gif

I guess it makes sense for the Bey stans to be so willing to accept trash into their lives considering all their fave can do [right now] is make love to her Instagram filters and grandparents' wardrobe.

Poor them.

nnnnn Trigger why did you have to post I was just coming for the BeyHIV

I can't wait until Bey adds "new album" to the list of "things I pretend to have".

EDIT: Don't forget to vote in the POPGAF Community Awards! oxoxooxox

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/15mDxNjb08FlIuuADdQo-E_cXjaK-LRsB6zYBDrAUc-c/viewform

Coming for Bey stans for their musical taste? Have we lost all self-control? :p

Meanwhile you declare your newfound Rihanna stanning; someone with 3 good songs and a cavalcade of middling Kelly Rowland B-Sides that sound like Taco Bell-induced dry heaves set to music.

I know it's hard for most of you to appreciate an album for being a BODY OF WORK instead of a collection of three minute anal lubricant commercials, but I won't fault you for it. The 20/20 Experience slays, Beyonce's next album will most definitely slay, ARTPOP will slay, and #Navy can focus their attention on finding new ways to use their fave's music to grind on the hairless twinks at the local gay bar.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I see Soul is jealous that his fave is such a flop that her music would never be played at a club, and he can never grind to it.

Poor her.

Styles

International Superstar Pitbull, Featuring Christina Aguilera, and Global Pop Sensation Ke$ha to Perform Live at Nickelodeon's 26th Annual Kids' Choice Awards, Saturday, March 23, at 8 P.M. (ET/PT)
* Reuters is not responsible for the content in this press release.

Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:00am EDT

LOS ANGELES, March 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- In their first-ever live
performances at Nickelodeon's Kids' Choice Awards, multi-talented global
superstars Pitbull,featuring Grammy Award-winning superstar vocalist Christina
Aguilera, and Ke$ha will ignite the stage on Saturday, March 23, at 8 p.m.

(ET/tape delayed for West Coast). Pitbull remains unstoppable as he is set to
perform his explosive hit "Feel This Moment," featuring Aguilera, while Ke$ha
will captivate the kids with her Billboard Top 10 smash "C'Mon."
Live from
USC's Galen Center, both artists join previously announced host Josh Duhamel
at the 26th annual event where kids rule and honor their favorites from the
worlds of film, music, sports and television. Kids can cast their votes until
March 23 in 22 total categories across all of Nickelodeon's digital outlets,
including Nick.com, Nick Mobile app as well as Nickelodeon's Facebook page
and Twitter feed.

"Can't wait to play the Kids' Choice Awards for the first time," said Pitbull.
"Look forward for fans to also see the first performance of 'Feel This Moment'
with Christina Aguilera. It's gonna be fun, DALE!!!"

"Kids' Choice is always one of the most fun awards shows of the year," said
Ke$ha. "I can't wait to come out and party with all of my ANIMALS!!!
"

Global superstar Ke$ha has taken the world by storm since the release of her
debut album Animal in 2010, selling over 2.5 million units worldwide and
certified Gold, Platinum or multi-Platinum in 15 markets. She has had seven
consecutive Top 10 hits including four #1 singles in "TiK ToK," "Your Love Is My
Drug," "We R Who We R" and the latest, "Die Young." Ke$ha recently released the
track "C'Mon," the second single from her critically acclaimed second album,
Warrior.
Ke$ha recently announced that MTV will premiere the docu-series
"Kesha: My Crazy Beautiful Life" on April 23 at 11 p.m.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/12/ca-nick-kids-choice-idUSnPnNY75216+160+PRN20130312

Well, that's something at least. "And Ke$ha"

ib1NkYHZBmxOIC.gif

I see Soul is jealous that his fave is such a flop that her music would never be played at a club, and he can never grind to it.

Poor her.

Much like your fave, your shade is redundant, middling, and reeks of expired ointment cream. xoxo

And Beyonce gets played constantly downtown. I don't grind on sweaty Brazilian boys though, I'm up in DAT CAGE. #herimpact

Nemesis_

It's lucky that Rihanna has the ability to actually sell records and thus subsidises Beyonce's dress up parties and "artistic" output.

Awww, Rihanna has a top 5 on iTunes, good for you guys. You obviously chose your fave correctly since she's so obviously resonating with the same crowds of people that bought artistic masterpieces like Harlem Shake, I Gotta Feeling, and Low.

Meanwhile I've listened to 4 every day since it came out two years ago. Does #Navy ever talk about how their fave's music touches their lives or do they just prefer to refresh billboard.com all day to validate their shitty musical taste?

Nemesis_

Awww, Rihanna has a top 5 on iTunes, good for you guys. You obviously chose your fave correctly since she's so obviously resonating with the same crowds of people that bought artistic masterpieces like Harlem Shake, I Gotta Feeling, and Low.

Meanwhile I've listened to 4 every day since it came out two years ago. Does #Navy ever talk about how their fave's music touches their lives or do they just prefer to refresh billboard.com all day to validate their shitty musical taste?

Let me save this post and hope you never brag about Beyonce selling something again.

People like to bring up this "SAME CHART AS GANGNAM STYLE LOLZ" argument but it's amazing how often the metric becomes valid and invalid depending on the climate.

But you can keep arguing with me about how whether one of the eight people who wasn't Beyonce touched your life through music. I'm not here for Dr Phil-esque revelatory sessions, I'm here for bops.

Yes, Rih has her shit written for her too, but I'm not pretending that it changed my life

This session has ended. Goodbye.

DMeisterJ

Banned

You are so pressed. Sorry my fave is successful and yours isn't. Poor you.

People like to bring up this "SAME CHART AS GANGNAM STYLE LOLZ" argument but it's amazing how often the metric becomes valid and invalid depending on the climate.

#clockedT

Satch

Banned
why are literally 100% of you acting like every format doesnt gain or lose validity for you based on your personal preferences

this is popgaf

theres more spin in here than the flow of a toilet and theyre both filled to the brim with the exact same shit

DMeisterJ

Banned
why are literally 100% of you acting like every format doesnt gain or lose validity for you based on your personal preferences

this is popgaf

theres more spin in here than the flow of a toilet and theyre both filled to the brim with the exact same shit

Why do you only post when you're angry?

And the #NAVY doesn't change the formats that are valid based on preferences. Our fave is shitting on iTunes, the Hot 100, The Top 200 Albums, Radio, Digital, Streaming, etc. You must be referring to the Beyhive who are all of a sudden all about tour receipts after the 4 'era'. Poor you.

Satch

Banned
how come the guy that calls everyone that disagrees with him "pressed" is calling me angry

its the same shit over and over

just like your fave

edit: lmao you guys take stuff so seriously in here lately

DMeisterJ

Banned
how come the guy that calls everyone that disagrees with him "pressed" is calling me angry

its the same shit over and over

just like your fave

edit: lmao you guys take stuff so seriously in here lately

kiii at you thinking anyone is taking it (or you) seriouslY. I was just telling the truth, you don't really post to discuss here, you post when you're angry or drunk. Just spilling the tea. And yes, my fave is the same over and over, the same absolute unmitigated slayage over and over.

StayBeyonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom