• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Satch

Banned
but im not angry or drunk, just commenting on the discussion and... what i said was the truth

thats the bread and butter of posting in here. spinning everything about your fave or another to make your fave look good and their fave look bad

unlike my fave, did i lie? wonder woman, her impact

DMeisterJ

Banned
What you said was based in truth, but not 100% truth, as I already argued.

Congrats to not being angry or drunk though. Is this a first for either?

Let me save this post and hope you never brag about Beyonce selling something again.

People like to bring up this "SAME CHART AS GANGNAM STYLE LOLZ" argument but it's amazing how often the metric becomes valid and invalid depending on the climate.

But you can keep arguing with me about how whether one of the eight people who wasn't Beyonce touched your life through music. I'm not here for Dr Phil-esque revelatory sessions, I'm here for bops.

Yes, Rih has her shit written for her too, but I'm not pretending that it changed my life

This session has ended. Goodbye.

I hope you do hold on to it actually. If Beyonce or Gaga have number 1 hits all over town you'll never see me making incessant posts about random radio performance coz that shit doesn't affect me. What I get from the music I'm listening to is something more substantial because I don't find value in music through what other people are buying. That's what I constantly see from #Navy and yet I barely see posts actually discussing the music itself other than "it slays" and "when will your faves?" It's boring. Maybe if someone made an interesting case for why Rihanna's music is on a level playing field with most other pop acts then I can actually empathize and reconsider. Gaga and Beyonce could have the biggest hits of their careers or they could flop like Bionic and it won't make a difference to me. The only thing I give a shit about is how the music affects me, and at the end of the day that's what should matter to all of you.

DMeisterJ said:
You are so pressed. Sorry my fave is successful and yours isn't. Poor you.

"You're pressed" is the most boring retaliation in this thread. Should be bannable tbh. lol

And Beyonce isn't successful? ok.

Satch said:
how come the guy that calls everyone that disagrees with him "pressed" is calling me angry

its the same shit over and over

just like your fave

edit: lmao you guys take stuff so seriously in here lately

Agreed.

DMeisterJ

Banned
I hope you do hold on to it actually. If Beyonce or Gaga have number 1 hits all over town you'll never see me making incessant posts about random radio performance coz that shit doesn't affect me. What I get from the music I'm listening to is something more substantial because I don't find value in music through what other people are buying. That's what I constantly see from #Navy and yet I barely see posts actually discussing the music itself other than "it slays" and "when will your faves?" It's boring. Maybe if someone made an interesting case for why Rihanna's music is on a level playing field with most other pop acts then I can actually empathize and reconsider. Gaga and Beyonce could have the biggest hits of their careers or they could flop like Bionic and it won't make a difference to me. The only thing I give a shit about is how the music affects me, and at the end of the day that's what should matter to all of you.

Good BYE. I'm so sick of this whole 'All #NAVY cares for is sales numbers' when that's constantly not been the case. The fact is if someone here says they like Rihanna's music they are shaded and dragged to hell and back. The reason we constantly go to sales is because she is doing amazingly on the charts, and it's easy to shut people up who constantly come for her music (i.e.: fucking YOU). I enjoy tons of her music, and Unapologetic is constantly being played on my iPhone but I don't need to explain to you why I like her or why I find value in her music. You don't find value in her music, and I do. I could give a shit whether YOU like her or not since there are literally MILLIONS of people who do find value in her music.

tl;dr why do I give a shit what you think about Rih when I give multiple shits as do other people?

Artemisia

Banned
can we stop fucking arguing about rihanna and beyonce every fucking GODDAMN DAY

and these fucking radio and itunes updates

!!!kfaksdfa

WHO CARES

RZXAhSAn_original.gif

Good BYE. I'm so sick of this whole 'All #NAVY cares for is sales numbers' when that's constantly not been the case. The fact is if someone here says they like Rihanna's music they are shaded and dragged to hell and back. The reason we constantly go to sales is because she is doing amazingly on the charts, and it's easy to shut people up who constantly come for her music (i.e.: fucking YOU). I enjoy tons of her music, and Unapologetic is constantly being played on my iPhone but I don't need to explain to you why I like her or why I find value in her music. You don't find value in her music, and I do. I could give a shit whether YOU like her or not since there are literally MILLIONS of people who do find value in her music.

tl;dr why do I give a shit what you think about Rih when I give multiple shits as do other people?

You're probably being shaded to hell and back because the justifications are hilarious. I've never seen a Rihanna fan say that they love her music without invoking her radio success as backup. You give as much of a shit about my opinions as I do about yours, but I only ever scalp Rih because #Navy seems incessant on coming for Beyonce first, someone that I've seen myself and others in here discuss articulately about why we love her music. And yet I don't see that happen here with Rihanna's music. I see it with Taylor's music, and Gaga's music, and even Britney's music, but never with Rih. There seems to be a lack of confidence about #Navy when it comes to talking about her music within just the context of quality, and I pick up on it because it makes me laugh. Maybe I just need to read your review of a Rihanna album so that I can get an idea of what it is you actually enjoy about her music other than the fact that a bunch of strangers out there are buying it. And you kind of give a shit about whether I like her because you respond to my posts, just like I give a shit about what you think because you're one of the most fabulous people in here.

I'm just trying to make you a better stan. :p

Slept on it.

Cant remember a single track. A SINGLE one.

Kinda want to lower my grade.

I don't remember any particular songs either, the structure of that stream really didn't help in differentiating the tracks themselves, lol. I just remember it being awweeeesooooome.

Artemisia said:

!!!kfaksdfa

WHO CARES

I'm here for this, lol. Ever since #Navy divorced the Beyhive ya'll have been trouble. It might be time to come back home soon.

DMeisterJ

Banned

!!!kfaksdfa

WHO CARES

RZXAhSAn_original.gif

idky but I lost iT reading that post

You're probably being shaded to hell and back because the justifications are hilarious. I've never seen a Rihanna fan say that they love her music without invoking her radio success as backup. You give as much of a shit about my opinions as I do about yours, but I only ever scalp Rih because #Navy seems incessant on coming for Beyonce first, someone that I've seen myself and others in here discuss articulately about why we love her music. And yet I don't see that happen here with Rihanna's music. I see it with Taylor's music, and Gaga's music, and even Britney's music, but never with Rih. There seems to be a lack of confidence about #Navy when it comes to talking about her music within just the context of quality, and I pick up on it because it makes me laugh. Maybe I just need to read your review of a Rihanna album so that I can get an idea of what it is you actually enjoy about her music other than the fact that a bunch of strangers out there are buying it. And you kind of give a shit about whether I like her because you respond to my posts, just like I give a shit about what you think because you're one of the most fabulous people in here.

I'm just trying to make you a better stan. :p

Bye again. We've discussed Rih's music and why it was liked in the past, but it's an exercise in futility. People come for her because she can't sing, or doesn't write, or all her music is dance stuff (all untrue), but it's the same shade, so there's no point in discussing what the stans see as positive in her music. And I'm pretty sure the Hive come for the #NAVY more than the opposite, but who really cares either, everyone comes for the #NAVY.

And I guess you're an okay poster, aside from your vile stanning of The 20/06 experience.

botty

Banned
Take it to the light
It's dark in the back
You started moving
You put an arch in your back

Closer to me
Closer to me
You're sipping your drink
and you're getting closer to me

Dance in the light
Starting to see
You started moving
And getting closer to me

And now you won't even let me go.

doGRzG2.gif

Bye again. We've discussed Rih's music and why it was liked in the past, but it's an exercise in futility. People come for her because she can't sing, or doesn't write, or all her music is dance stuff (all untrue), but it's the same shade, so there's no point in discussing what the stans see as positive in her music. And I'm pretty sure the Hive come for the #NAVY more than the opposite, but who really cares either, everyone comes for the #NAVY.

And I guess you're an okay poster, aside from your vile stanning of The 20/06 experience.

Bullshizz. The Bey stans in here don't really come for Rih unless it's retaliation; I suppose I do more than they do but I don't name drop ha in every post like #Navy does with Bey. The last twenty posts by you seem to have invoked Beyonce in some way, which is cute, but.. it's quite TRANSPARENT wouldn't you say. It's good promo though

Arte's right though. #Navy and the Beyhive need to come together again. We have our differences but we're still bred from the same line of weave. We'll need to have a counsel with us, ITZ, Second and Super.

@Nem: Halo is great but I hate that damn second verse. She sang it completely with runs. :mad:

Fey

Banned
Slept on it.

Cant remember a single track. A SINGLE one.

Kinda want to lower my grade.

yuuup can't remember how a single track goes

but i'm increasing my estimate for 20/20 to 450k. the album is being received better than i thought it would be.

SaintZ

Taylor Swift Doesn’t Sell Magazines–Is She Overexposed?

You may have noticed, it’s been a very Taylor Swift year around here. If all the pert, bland pretty pretty princess-ing about was starting to bore you, good news: you’re not alone. Apparently Taylor Swift is real bad at moving copies of the magazines she covers.

WWD filed a new report today that breaks down sales of issues covered by Swift and… it’s surprisingly abysmal! Strangely, the artist who wins every award for which she’s nominated and seems to sell a million records when she sneezes… doesn’t find success on newsstands.

Or her maybe her fans hate reading?

For one, Swift’s Vogue cover sold about half of Gaga’s:

For Vogue, Swift sold 329,371 copies, digital sales included, which was a little above the six-month average that ended in June 2012, but no match for Lady Gaga, the magazine’s top seller last year, with about 602,000 copies. Or for that matter, Adele, the second-best seller with 410,343. All numbers come from the publisher’s statements to the Alliance for Audited Media, which may change slightly after they’re audited.

In all fairness, Gaga covered the September issue, an issue that’s picked up by even casual fashionistas.

However, over at Glamour, she fell short of… Lauren Conrad:

Swift did OK for Glamour in November — but with a little over 443,000 copies, she couldn’t beat reality TV star Lauren Conrad in May who was the year’s runaway best-seller (a little over 500,000), or designer and former Spice Girl Victoria Beckham in September (about 482,000).

Ditto for Bazaar — Swift sold 138,412 copies, a little above the average for the period, but far below Gwen Stefani’s September (166,365).

She had already been booked for Cosmo’s December cover when Joanna Coles came on as editor in chief of the sex-and-makeup monthly. Swift flopped, with the issue the weakest in a year that underperformed overall — she sold a little over a million copies, or 20 percent below the six-month average that ended in December 2012. Swift was even outsold by actress Zooey Deschanel, who took the dubious honor of having the year’s second-worst seller.

Glamour EIC Cindi Leive hypothesizes that Swift fell out of favor right around her relationship with One Direction’s Harry Styles: “There may have been a little hiccup for her right around the 1-D relationship,” but then adds “But it’s nothing a pro can’t come back from. I’d put money on her for the long run.”

HuffPo posits that the disappointing numbers come from good old fashioned overexposure–a problem for which Swift herself is largely to blame. After all, she’s on seemingly every magazine cover all the time and, in the accompanying interviews, keeps saying stuff like this and this and especially this.

And–although we were joking–there might be some credence to our theory that Swift’s fans just aren’t big readers (insofar as she’s challenging to tolerate if you’ve ever so much as glanced at her lyrics).

Then again, all this will probably just result in an album about how hard it is to sell magazines.
Sauce via ontd

oop

ihmbtM9PQeuUF.gif

Artemisia

Banned
I don't think she's overexposed (or that even if she was, that would decrease magazine sales. I mean look at Gaga).

Her demographic clearly doesn't overlap with the people buying magazines.

Nemesis_

I don't think she's overexposed (or that even if she was, that would decrease magazine sales. I mean look at Gaga).

Her demographic clearly doesn't overlap with the people buying magazines.

Didn't Gaga's vogue issue come at a time where she was awkwardly in between eras (but still only active via touring) though?

Styles

Taylor's vogue issue was released in Feb of 2012, she was hardly 'overexposed' back then Also, take into consideration that Adele's issue was released in March, a lucrative month for magazines due to a seasonal shift in clothing line.

That aside, yes she's not a huge magazine seller, at least she still makes the BB Top Music Earners list.

ib1NkYHZBmxOIC.gif

Bladenic

Ya'll can drag me all you want, I like JT's new album. It's not amazing though. It's definitely flawed and strange, but it's hardly some disaster imo. I need more time and re-listens to form a concrete long lasting opinion.

Also can the rest of us Kelly stans drag Crumpet for being ready to denounce her a few pages ago? Shameful sis.

Ch, I'll be back on the Kelly train when she delivers something interesting again. And it's a matter of when, not if because I know she will at some point.

ibj5qBcBkuj4n1.gif

BTW Bladenic sis, I was [S C R E A M I N G] at that episode of Girls. Marnie's singing...I LIVE

royalan

Ya'll can drag me all you want, I like JT's new album. It's not amazing though. It's definitely flawed and strange, but it's hardly some disaster imo. I need more time and re-listens to form a concrete long lasting opinion.

Also can the rest of us Kelly stans drag Crumpet for being ready to denounce her a few pages ago? Shameful sis.

You also like this season of Girls. Taste abandoned you long ago. :-/

Bladenic

You also like this season of Girls. Taste abandoned you long ago. :-/

WHY DO YOU KEEP COMING FOR ME WITH BLATANT LIES ABOUT MY TV VIEWING? Where are you even getting this shit from? I said plenty of times in the Girls OT this season is way worse than season 1. First you tried coming for me for Homeland even though I haven't seen S2, now this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom