• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PopGAF |OT5| We Are Bionic, So Damn Bionic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trigger

...ugh. I am actually really annoyed at the amount of promo Justin is getting right now.

On Fallon all this week. CW special next week. That damn Target commercial running 24/7. The Budweiser commercial. Ads EVERYWHERE. I don't think I've ever seen a promo blitz like this. It's eclipsing Taylor's RED promo at this point...

It gets to a point where it's just overkill. Like, there's no WAY the album is going to do less than 500k at this point. Quality has nothing to do with it. Hell, consumer demand almost has nothing to do with it (both singles have underperformed). RCA is practically spending every fucking dime they have to force JT onto the public.

I'd amend my prediction if it weren't too late. I wasn't anticipating this.

It makes you wonder why the Lotus/Warrior promo has been so half-assed. RCA is putting its full weight into promoting this album.

DMeisterJ

Banned
oop

I somehow doubt Justine will end up outselling P!nk in the long term though. You can't buy legs, or an incredible worldwide demand for a tour.

Apparently you can. Do you really think that hundreds of thousands of people really want to see Bey perform her 'hits' from her 'hit' album 4?

But you know...Honestly at this point it's like if a label put this kind of promo power behind ANY artist they would sell. It's almost not even about Justin. When was the last time an artist got this kind of label attention and flopped?

It's been a while, but I'm not sure if I've ever seen this kind of push. A weeklong stint on a late night show, grammy performance, tons of commercials, it's a huge push.

Mau ®

I'd like to take back my comments on The 20/20 Experience being "great"

It's amazing.

cage_bliss.gif

royalan

You can still adjust. For JT I am giving people till the actual release to change their predictions.

Ok, then I would like to change my JT prediction to 570k. Consumer interest seems to be middling at best, and the album's getting lukewarm reviews, so I agree with Koodo and doubt 20/20 will have legs. But the way RCA is bulldozing with his promo there's NO WAY he's not opening to big numbers.

Yeah, I'm PRESSED. Because he doesn't fucking deserve all this promo. 20/20 is the laziest fucking album I've listened to in a long-ass time and not only is it getting hyped, but you have idiots actually believing he's doing something new in the game. Talk about male privilege. If any Pop female attempted to release an album with 4 minute outros on 8 of the 10 tracks that were mostly mid-tempo love songs they would be read to hell and back in OT.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Hot 100 Top 10

1. Baauer - "Harlem Shake"
2. Macklemore & Ryan Lewis - "Thrift Shop"
3. Bruno Mars - "When I Was Your Man"
4. Rihanna - "Stay"
5. Justin Timberlake (feat. Jay-Z) - "Suit & Tie"
6. Taylor Swift - "I Knew You Were Trouble"
7. Drake - "Started From the Bottom"
8. will.i.am and Britney Spears - "Scream & Shout"
9. Lil Wayne (feat Drake and Future) - "Love Me"
10. Bruno Mars - "Locked Out of Heaven"

*"Stay" is Rihanna's 27th Platinum Single *.*

Bonus 20/20 Experience Era Update

HitsDailyDouble said:
ALL EYES ON JUSTIN: The TV blitz setting up next Tuesday’s release of Justin Timberlake’s RCA “comeback” album The 20/20 Experience culminates at 8 p.m. that night with a one-hour special on The CW, the network has announced. The performance-and-interview special will be taped at the El Rey Theatre during the Monday night release party and will include the premiere of J.T.’s latest video. The show’s title--Target Presents the iHeartRadio Album Release Party With Justin Timberlake—tells you all you need to know about the alliance formed by the label’s Peter Edge and Tom Corson to max out the album’s launch, which first-week estimates now ramped up to a hefty 600k.

This album is going to open hugE.

Trigger

ALL EYES ON JUSTIN: The TV blitz setting up next Tuesday’s release of Justin Timberlake’s RCA “comeback” album The 20/20 Experience culminates at 8 p.m. that night with a one-hour special on The CW, the network has announced. The performance-and-interview special will be taped at the El Rey Theatre during the Monday night release party and will include the premiere of J.T.’s latest video. The show’s title--Target Presents the iHeartRadio Album Release Party With Justin Timberlake—tells you all you need to know about the alliance formed by the label’s Peter Edge and Tom Corson to max out the album’s launch, which first-week estimates now ramped up to a hefty 600k. (3/13a)

Credit to TJ Hazuki for posting this in the 20/20 OT.

I'm actually starting to question my predictions too.
nULmZ.png

EDIT- Not me being beaten. nnnnnnn
r4CiE.png

Fey

Banned
You can still adjust. For JT I am giving people till the actual release to change their predictions.

;____;

lordt what a difference 3 months can make
i never would have thought, in december, that justin would release a new album in 3 months, and that i would absolutely hate it

yMTYrkd.png

20-16

15-11

Now for 10-4:

pc9GZ3N.jpg

#10: Get Me Bodied
B'Day (2006)
WHY: Full of bounce and undeniably youthful, with a beat and lyrics that make you want to go jump rope with the neighbourhood kids. BONUS: Michelle doesn't look like the most awkward one in the video; thanks Solange!
Listen

g9xqdKV.jpg

#9: Lay Up Under Me
4 (2011)
WHY: An uptempo, funky take on a pretty basic R&B song. Beyoncé covers the song with the best instrument: her voice. Also some horns, which are cool too. The smooth, funky production brings forward the best of the 70s.
Listen

8Txh7uS.jpg

#8: Why Don't You Love Me
I Am... Sasha Fierce (2009)
WHY: An energetic and groovy throwback jam with the greatest intro of ALL TIME. Sassy, suave and fresher than fresh.
Listen

GQaaQjS.jpg

#7: Freakum Dress
B'Day (2006)
WHY: The bridge is life-affirming. Loud and powerful, this song compels you to dance. Get freaky.
Listen

M5YFdw1.jpg

#6: Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)
I Am... Sasha Fierce (2008)
WHY: It's her most famous song for a reason. Everything about this is new, exciting and addictive. While so much of this list has been throwback funk and R&B inspired, Single Ladies stands out as the iconic pop song in Beyoncé's discography. And with one of the most stunning, yet simplistic videos ever.
Listen

xGOWt30.jpg

#5: Countdown
4 (2011)
WHY: An eclectic mishmash of... basically everything. But it works and more importantly, still manages to feel cohesive. This song encapsulates 4 moreso than all the others, and should have been the first single. All the vigor and movement that is displayed in this song are a perfect summary of 4.
Listen

Epk5ROm.jpg

#4: Sweet Dreams
I Am... Sasha Fierce (2008)
WHY: It's dark, it's glowing and it's got the best production on the album. The pounding synths and a low, electronic bassline work perfectly with Beyoncé's dreamy vocals. The standout track of I Am... Sasha Fierce.
Listen

Ok, then I would like to change my JT prediction to 570k. Consumer interest seems to be middling at best, and the album's getting lukewarm reviews, so I agree with Koodo and doubt 20/20 will have legs. But the way RCA is bulldozing with his promo there's NO WAY he's not opening to big numbers.

Yeah, I'm PRESSED. Because he doesn't fucking deserve all this promo. 20/20 is the laziest fucking album I've listened to in a long-ass time and not only is it getting hyped, but you have idiots actually believing he's doing something new in the game. Talk about male privilege. If any Pop female attempted to release an album with 4 minute outros on 8 of the 10 tracks that were mostly mid-tempo love songs they would be read to hell and back in OT.

Gotcha.

I am going to be leaving JT predictions open till Friday at midnight.

Here is how things stand right now.
Nr1kxMy.png

I adjusted my predictions as well. Though not by THAT much.... I refuse to predict a bigger OW for JT than for 1D.

Edit: Updated
;____;

lordt what a difference 3 months can make
i never would have thought, in december, that justin would release a new album in 3 months, and that i would absolutely hate it

522k for Justin Timberlake.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Bey has so many good tracks. Party, Sweet Dreams, Upgrade U (even in all of it's hypocritical glory), Deja vu, Ego, Crazy in Love, are all standout picks.

******.******

Fey

Banned
not super releasing the next batch during JT talk again x_x

am happy to see countdown and sweet dreams so high + above single ladies.

Koodo

Banned
Im loving all these marketing efforts from RCA. They know where the $$$ lies.
Not in their roster, apparently, if these forecasts end up true.

Gaga opening with a million (or 600k+ if you want to discount the Amazon sales), with a more polemic album and much less promotion shows Justine the name isn't bringing all that much hype. This type of campaign should be pushing a million, not half of that.

Didn't some female rapper open with 500k or 600k recently? I think it was Drake.

Gaga opening with a million (or 600k+ if you want to discount the Amazon sales), with a more polemic album and much less promotion shows Justine the name isn't bringing all that much hype. This type of campaign should be pushing a million, not half of that.

Didn't some female rapper open with 500k or 600k recently? I think it was Drake.

I wouldn't go that far. There are really only three artists who can pull a million OW right now. Taylor, Gaga, and probably Adele.

Anything over 500k nowadays is really massive. You only get a 3/4 of those a year nowadays.

Mau ®

GaGa had a pretty huge campaign sis. They even bought billboards in major cities.

The BTW lead up was not as big as the 20/20 lead up but you have to consider they're RE-INTRODUCING Justin after he's been gone for almost 7 years. GaGa didnt need any reintroduction as her previous single before BTW was less than 6 months before and she had been on a sold out tour since.

And yes, Drake opened to almost 700k with "Take Care" *.*

DMeisterJ

Banned

Drake did 630k his first week and is at 1.9 million currently. With none of the promo effort of Justine.

Koodo

Banned
I wouldn't go that far. There are really only three artists who can pull a million OW right now. Taylor, Gaga, and probably Adele.

Anything over 500k nowadays is really massive. You only get a 3/4 of those a year nowadays.
But none of the 500k openers have this kind of push. It really is borderline excessive.

Give almost *anyone* this campaign and they will likely open with similar numbers. Give Gaga, Taylor or ADELE this kind of campaign and they will push a million. Such is the difference between artists whose name alone have massive hype and artists that are at the mercy of paid exposure.

Mau ®

Drake did 630k his first week and is at 1.9 million currently. With none of the promo effort of Justine.

Well Drake had other more cost-effective methods that took years to pay off with Take Care. We're talking the usual rapper-DYI marketing like mixtapes, constant touring & gigs (as opposed to ceremonial touring pop stars do).

JT is not really a rapper and he only had less than 3 months to sell the album, not to mention that he has been off the airwaves for more than 5 years.

IMO, its two different situations.

Wasn't yesterday supposed to be the absolute latest date that we were supposed to hear something? Her tour starts in like FOUR WEEKS.

What a mess.

There is no time to use a single to properly promote the album at this point without MASSIVE radio payola. Not sure what she is thinking.

yMTYrkd.png

20-16

15-11
10-4

Now for 3 and 2.

flOn0De.jpg

#3: Schoolin Life
4 (2011)
WHY: Freaky, raw and infused with the spirit of Prince. An old-school funk and disco inspired single in the age of non-stop EDM, Schoolin Life is immediately timeless and will stand as a classic in Beyoncé's discography, long after her career ends.
Listen

0uwfDxm.jpg

#2: Crazy In Love
Dangerously in Love (2003)
WHY: Her first solo hit remains her greatest Jay-Z collaboration, as well as one of the best songs ever. With that iconic beat and the strut that captured the world, Crazy In Love is the perfect hit. While her vocals improved vastly over the next decade, there's something special in the voicework here and it hasn't been reproduced since.
Listen

Stay tuned for the #1 greatest Beyoncé song.

Koodo

Banned
I think we have to accept that Beyoka's album isn't coming out anytime soon, unless she doesn't mind releasing an album in the middle of a worldwide tour (and that's a ticket to exhaustion for any artist, even more so for a married mother).

I think we have to accept that Beyoka's album isn't coming out anytime soon, unless she doesn't mind releasing an album in the middle of a worldwide tour (and that's a ticket to exhaustion for any artist, even more so for a married mother).

bhuHH.gif

I am sure she can figure something out.

Anyways, Is there any precedent for release an album during a tour and having it end well?

Mau ®

Basically this.

I dont think its happening that soon. And with the tour lasting for most of 2013... I think we're looking at a late 2013 release.

Anyways, Is there any precedent for release an album during a tour and having it end well?

Talk That Talk was released amidst the LOUD tour. It sold over 3.3million WW.

royalan

.....God BLESS Portugal. HAMMERCY HEW IS THIS MAN???

Uhhh, anyway...I agree with Koodo. The amount of promo RCA is lumping on JT in a strange way shows their faith in him being a big act this year and their desperation for him to be a big act this year. This promo blitz surpasses anything I've seen coming out of the music industry since, perhaps, a Michael Jackson-in-his-prime album. But, for all this hooplah, you would expect more than a mere 600k.

I get the feeling that JT's getting this attention not necessarily because he deserves it, but because RCA realizes that he's probably their only hope to have an artist from their roster leading the pack this first half of 2013.

Did you post that because you have nothing better to do? Let me just say, real quick, Beyoncé coming back. Very soon. And She's not gonna ask you how many movies you saw or which celebrities you knew. She's gonna ask you what you did for her son, Jesus. He died on the cross, and He did that just for you, and that's what we preach.

Trigger

Basically this.

I dont think its happening that soon. And with the tour lasting for most of 2013... I think we're looking at a late 2013 release.

But I want it noooooooooow.
r4CiE.png

Did you post that because you have nothing better to do? Let me just say, real quick, Beyoncé coming back. Very soon. And She's not gonna ask you how many movies you saw or which celebrities you knew. She's gonna ask you what you did for her son, Jesus. He died on the cross, and He did that just for you, and that's what we preach.

sandsajsaklsh

I'm crying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom