• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-Women's March: white women, working class, and people might need to reflect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alienfan

Lol that's not how statistics work

One of the reasons gay right movements have been so successful recently is because we didn't antagonise all straight people (although there were a few nutjobs that did), we made them allies and achieved great results.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
The ol' circular firing squad tends to be magnified on the internet where a lot of people are more concerned about being holier than thou than they are in finding a way forward. It's particularly a problem on places like tumblr and twitter.

Also, the internet has a disproportionate amount of people who don't leave their house. You'll note not many people in this thread seem to have gone to any march for any cause, but we all have STRONG opinions about them.

junpei

Maybe I'm crazy but I'm pretty sure you thinking that every white woman is privileged and blinded to the realities of the world is something that might need to be applied to yourself.

To assume that all white people are better off, in my opinion, is a form of privilege in itself. Because it clearly is a privilege to be so ignorant to think that an entire group of people have such a better life based solely on their gender and skin color.
First off I never said every white woman.
Second I said that the white privilege May blind them to the realities of the world. woke people come in all shapes and sizes and have seen white feminist at BLM marches .
Are you trying to say there's a such thing as person of color privilege? White privilege doesn't just go away because there are white people who are worse off .

Plum

so you think this will push more white liberals to vote for Trump in 2020 than make white liberals become more politically aware/active?

I doubt it but what do I know.

The hard truth is is that few people are, by default, diehard about racial issues. Yes, it's literally about survival to some people but most, if not all, of the human race bases their decisions on selfish grounds. Most care more about image, and who they perceive to be able to work for them and their families, before voting for whoever is most altruistic. Therefore, if you treat your allies like they've done something wrong when they haven't and spread division like this then people won't vote for you.

It's happened here in Britain with the Labour party, the constant need to be "right" has made the left an in-fighting mess and allowed the consistently strong right to have full reign, if it continues it will happen exactly the same in America. Going after the people diehard enough to protest in the freezing cold just shows that you care more about playing the music teacher from Whiplash and trying to make those fighting for your cause into some 'perfect' ally than actually fighting for said cause.

fushi

I understand the point, and I'm not a delicate flower that takes everything personally. But something has to change.

White people, and I am generalizing, need to do better at acknowledging their inherent advantages in American society. You can't get offended or hurt when you're confronted with it.

I actually can believe that there are ' closeted ' Trump supporters. I live in Washington DC and you are hurting yourself socially and professionally to be on the right in a highly liberal town. Particularly now with the high level of polarization.

White and black people need to stop with the incessant virtue signaling. A lot of these threads end up looking like a competition for the most woke award. You're not going to change anyone with that, but you are guaranteed to alienate them and maybe make someone who was previously indifferent swing the opposite way. If you shout down, mock, and insult people who disagree with you they are just going to tune you out, or react negatively.

White people I think have real trouble comprehending the fear that Black people, particularly men feel everyday in this country. I was married to a black woman and my son is mixed race. We took a vacation to Myrtle Beach one summer. Some of the looks, and treatment we received there was disturbing. I realized how lucky I was to grow up in an area where there isn't that kind of racial divide, and overt racism. I'm also certain that as a white man what I experienced there was a drop in a big bucket every black person carries.

I believe that multiculturalism is the ideal to aspire to. Some are quick to embrace it, some have prejudice that makes it far more challenging . As humans, we have to generalize and make judgments on things we see in life to function, but you can't stop learning and changing.

White privilege and fragility are entirely real. Tim Wise is a good guy to check out to understand the meaning behind it. Almost all the women in my family participated in the protest, three generations of them. I think they are good, honest people. If it's bad that they demonstrated against Trump, I'm not sure where to go from there.
One of the absolute sanest posts I have read in poliGAF threads in a good long while. Kudos.

(Also, thanks for using the phrase "virtue signalling" -- I didn't know there was a term for this exact behavior that has ruined leftist politics for me for years now...)

Jenov

I mean, I highly doubt many of those Trump voting 53% were actually the ones marching, lol. Seems antagonizing for no reason to call out the people already on your side.

This is the kind of attitude that guarantees NO support from white people or at least discourages them into total inaction.

People should build up their allies, not tear them down.

The people who are being called out by that sign aren't allies.

Also, if you claim to be an ally but a sign calling out people of the same ethnicity as you for something they actually did is enough to stop you, then you were never an ally to begin with.

It's too bad that people who didn't vote for Trump and see this will feel attacked but if they actually want to change things and not just feel better, they will need to realize that people need to be called out for their bullshit and not get annoyed just because those people share the same skin color as them.

(And yes, i fell on this same trap many years ago when i was younger until some day it hit me and i realized "oh wait, they aren't talking about *ME*")

I'm sorry but this is pretty much the same shit that goes on, for example, in rape threads and male posters feel targeted personally and start posting dumb shit without realizing it's not about them.

LionPride

Banned
Would people accept this kind of generalization toward Muslim?

Not and rightfully so.
As someone living outside the us and being undefined ( people have thought I was from Latvia to Lebanon to Central Asia)
The will of Americans to put everyone is crazy.
Did over half of Muslims vote for a man who said spiteful and hateful things towards them?

Crocodile

Honestly, this shit is like the worst thing everyone could really do right now. Shit sucks, but is it really necessary to attack your fellow allies, instead of... you know, the Neo Nazis? Instead of blaming a very broad demographic or whatever, maybe... JUST MAYBE, there's something more important to do than wrongly attack your fellow marchers for what the women that don't have their own interests at heart did? Those women aren't going to be at the march.

This isn't the only example of this stupid shit either. I've seen people saying the Women's March sucked because it 'hurt the environment' from all the signs they created (they didn't personally cut down those trees), and attacks that it wasn't all-inclusive enough (? everyone was welcome), and at this point it's trying to divide what should be a unified front.

Should people reflect on all this? Yes, of course, the protest would be a failure if it didn't make people think. But people running around screaming IT'S ALL ____'S FAULT isn't going to help with shit, it's just going to make people angry and turn on each other.

FWIW the only people I've seen say the bolded are conservatives who are looking for ways to delegitimatize the event.

Can you back up for a minute and explain what purpose this tweet is supposed to serve?

Because to me, it's not just "calling out white people." It's calling out the specific white people who are already marching in solidarity with the cause.

If there's some kind of benefit to this smugness directed at those who are likely to already be your allies, then it certainly escapes me.

Barely anyone (is anyone?) in this thread is defending that tweet. Is there a reason you can just say LOL/*roll eyes*/SMH at the tweet and move on? That tweet doesn't negate the point that way too many White Women were ok voting for Trump and that is something we need to talk about/address moving forward/never forget.

We actually did attack a Nazi in a viral display by punching him in his stupid fucking face.

We were subsequently attacked by our allies for not giving a shit or even cheering on the fact that a Nazi was punched in his stupid fucking face.

Nazis are a problem. But that problem is made worse by the moral absolutist enablers who exist on our side too.

EDIT: You know what? I'll do you one better. Let's not even muddy the waters with an assault, because I feel the lawful goods coming. Remember the thread about the guy who screamed "No!" over a Nazi who was trying to promote minority genocide? Remember the people who were trying to make it out like the ally talking over him was as much of a problem?

Milquetoast, concern-trolling allies decrease our effectiveness to act and stick up for the downtrodden.

I ignored most of that mess, but I was extremely annoyed by a Sarah Silverman tweet where she implied Spencer was just a misguided youth.
I know she deleted it afterward and apologised, but everything about the assumptions behind that tweet pissed me off.

SURGEdude

This is part of the concern about using a broad brush in the way identitarians often do. As soon as things get complicated like in this instance with a nearly 50% split in women's support you tend see people driven by identity eat your allies. Once the individual is downplayed and group identity is all that matters it's simply inevitable.

Trump will see this soon enough as he his special brand of bigotry is perhaps the most successful implementation of (white) identity politics in American history. Once the mayhem he brings starts to shine through they will turn on eachother alone whatever dividing lines they can find.

cackhyena

White fragility thread 2: electric Boogaloo

So much to unpack in this thread and what it actually means to be an ally

The reaction to this thread demonstrates how white feminism is white supremacy. It seems y'all would rather WOC be silenced.

In activist circles, there's a lot of criticisms of cishet black men, and they're valid af. As a cishet black man, I don't dismiss them out of hand or defer to some reactionary "not all black men".

Do better.
Has nothing to do with fragility for me. I'm just frustrated at the place we are at. I only see stuff like this as dividing us. We aren't winning white voters who voted for Trump this way. We're keeping them on that side of the line.

I was surprised by an alarming number of white women in social media not only opposing the march over the weekend, but actually calling it a disgrace.

like I can't believe such stupidity

http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/how-clinton-won/
F4pL7P6.png
Black people voted overwhelmingly for Clinton over Sanders in the Democratic primaries.
However during April & May, Sanders was polling much better over Trump than Clinton was:
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-5565.html
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
So black people (if we are going to generalize) helped ensure that it was Clinton vs Trump thus leading to Trump's victory (perhaps, Bernie could have still lost too).

I really don't understand the impulse behind going after people who marched. I don't get it.

"I would have supported you having equal and full rights and not being murdered by the state, but you made a mean sign so fuck you."

- White liberals, 2017.

Why are people acting like petty shit like this doesn't legitimately sway votes when we saw one of the most irrational results in electoral history. Priority 1, 2, and 3 is to make sure we have enough votes to defeat Trump and his cronies.

Kreed

IMO OP, the next time you do a thread like this don't put tweets/images that take attention away from the rest of your post.

This sign exists precisely because the concept of "allies" is in question. Yes, they're marching side by side but under no circumstance is this assurance that white women will be lending their support to black and non-white women outside the march or to issues that do not affect the reality of being a white woman.

How many of these white women do you expect to see as "allies" in a BLM march?

How many of these white women do you expect will be speaking out when their black and non-white "allies" get paid even less in the workplace?

Unfortunately, the answer is usually nowhere as much as it should be – if it were, you wouldn't see a person of colour bringing to light the issue in the first place. This isn't a petty contest, this is simply a minority pleading with you to realize that something is WRONG.
How many people do you expect to see in the reverse? Yes, there's always better turnout to things that directly affect you. This isn't something that is a characteristic of specifically white women. Nor is it shocking at all that regardless of oppression that you worry about your needs over others. I don't see black males heavily being involved in LGBTQIA either, should I be mad at them for only thinking of themselves?

They voted for Trump because they saw the demographics of the country changing and Trump's racist rhetoric spoke directly to that fear.
Having to compete with other white people is one thing but having to compete with non-whites on an even playing field, that's too much.
They felt that any Democratic would continue to push for equality and that was unacceptable.
There is no fixing it. We have to focus on the people who didn't vote for a racist. We get them to vote next time and everyone who voted for Trump can fuck off.

Thank you for actually answering my question, I appreciate it and sadly is the only conclusion I've come to since the election.

rjinaz

hardly. There have been a lot of positive conversations and forward thinking due to debates such as these. Progress is slow but ongoing.

Actually yeah I would say this thread is a good example on how conversation can work. There isn't so much fighting, but there is discussion, people sharing their views. If more people did that in the real world then we wouldn't be in this mess.

Black people voted overwhelmingly for Clinton over Sanders in the Democratic primaries.
However during April & May, Sanders was polling much better over Trump than Clinton was:

So black people (if we are going to generalize) helped ensure that it was Clinton vs Trump thus leading to Trump's victory (perhaps, Bernie could have still lost too).

This is equally stupid thinking. The consensus at the time was that Clinton had the better chance against the Republican nominee. She also did much more than Bernie to earn those Black votes.

This is exactly what this election was about. Trump pulled in white people who felt threatened that globalisation was only lifting up people other than them. People who grew up with the expectation they could fuck up in high school and still walk into a job for life like their daddy did. Mix that in with years of Dems doing next to nothing economically progressive in favour of identity politics and you have a pretty potent combination of both class and racial resentment. Especially when these people's lives and economic status do not correlate with the story that came out of the incumbent party that the country is doing great (even if that is partially true!).

The unfortunate fact is that the majority of people are dumb and self-interested. If Democrats want to win elections their platform has to have enough appeal to the dumb and self-interested. That means flattering these idiots with bullshit national myths like "make america great again" while either trying to appeal to their better nature (good luck), or offering enough economic prosperity that they don't resort to dog-eat-dog attitudes that inevitably take on a racial component. Many of these states voted in Obama - the racism of these voters isn't some kind of sheet-wearing visceral hatred, but more along the lines of treating minority groups they barely interact with as competitors for jobs and a way of life they are losing.

Thinking that someone's economic/trade/foreign policies would benefit them more than the other person's is not the same as "voting based on their feelings being hurt"

That's a very good question, and a necessary step to finding the solution. Again, we can seek the roots in under-education and religious skew. What do you say?

Does under education and religious exempt a misogynist, sexual deviant man (by their standards) who has been married 3 times and has 5 children by 3 different women. I would assume somebody religious would scrutinize Trump even more... unless it was something else.

Did over half of Muslims vote for a man who said spiteful and hateful things towards them?

First Muslims don't mean anything, there is no common point between an Iranian, a Uighur in xinjiang , a Moroccan of third generation born in Brussels and a Pakistani doctor living in the us. ( except for Racist dickhead)

If you can use biased statistics to paint a whole group of people ( those 53% represent the expressed vote, not the real vote)
Why isn't it open bar to do it for another group of people in our post truth world?

If I had to say what is the cause of this, it would be the all-American sin of polarization. Identity politics have become so ingrained in some that they just can't comprehend when an event transcends it.

edit: the event I'm talking about is the Women's March

collige

Banned

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-5565.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html

Bernie has literally nothing to do with this thread, yo.

FWIW the only people I've seen say the bolded are conservatives who are looking for ways to delegitimatize the event.

Barely anyone (is anyone?) in this thread is defending that tweet. Is there a reason you can just say LOL/*roll eyes*/SMH at the tweet and move on? That tweet doesn't negate the point that way too many White Women were ok voting for Trump and that is something we need to talk about/address moving forward/never forget.

The follow up comments from the person who sent that tweet, I believe remain a completely valid point. That the women at the march should (if they aren't already) confront their white family members about their support for Trump, because they have a much better chance of getting through to them, than any minority from outside the family does.

My wife, I'm proud to say, challenges some of our family on this stuff (and was at the march). But that's a key thing we need to think about.

And 'challenge' doesn't mean 'call them a racist' or whatever here.

Isn't that a valid thing for a minority to want a white woman to do? Something that they can't, but that could potentially make a positive difference?

Yes, it is the fault of black people that the majority of white people voted for a racist.

Jesus Christ. With allies like this, who needs enemies?

This thread is super depressing when realize what it just boils down to.

It boils down to "if you are going to make a topic about an incredibly important and sensitive topic, then you shouldn't open with a garbage, offensive tweet".

what

rjinaz

This is why I don't vote. Not going to throw my hat in with the corrupt robber barons but its clear my support is not wanted by the Democratic party.

That's not true at all. I would be curios where you got that impression from. I didn't hear Clinton or any DNC members say these things. A random woman holding a sign? Some people posting on gaf? Your vote is appreciated and needed and Trump damn well proves that.

I was surprised by an alarming number of white women in social media not only opposing the march over the weekend, but actually calling it a disgrace.

Well, now you know. Republican women, especially the hardliners, will always confound me. The shit I personally heard, forget about online, in defense of Trump was real fucking stupid. It becomes doubly so when so many of them consider themselves "good Christians".

Trey

If I had to say what is the cause of this, it would be the all-American sin of polarization. Identity politics have become so ingrained in some that they just can't comprehend when an event transcends it.

this event (I'm assuming you're referring to the election) did not transcend it.

KingK

At the same time, how common are the people who actually put stuff like this on signs, obscure tweet or tumblr post, or random decision made by 3 members of an obscure college campus group?

Is the problem random pockets of people with fringe opinions, or is it the rest of us getting an ideological erection going when we see proof that there are people out there who lack the foresight and reasonable perspectives we do?

I kind of wonder who actually does more harm, the one woman who carries a sign somewhat unreasonably putting allies on blast for being in the same demographic as enemies... or the 100,000 people who angrily retweet it, who call into NPR shows about it, and unintentionally assist the right in creating the image that the left is nothing but a series of arbitrary purity tests and infighting.

That's how they took down Occupy (I bet many of you cringe at the very mention of that word; for a few weeks it was just as energizing as this women's march).

Some of that does indeed land on the protesters themselves; they knew how to organize but not how to leap towards the next step to gain real power the way the Tea Partiers did. But the other half of that was, the media and liberal allies joined conservatives in painting an incredibly false, intentional image that even though these protests had a primary purpose alluded to right in the name ("Occupy Wall Street", very obviously referring to deregulation and subsequent corporate welfare from the government), they were actually a meaningless hodgepodge of nothing, absolutely unlike the Great Baby Boomer Protests of the 70's (even when many were larger and more persistent than those).

I guess just think about where the real harm to having some kind of cohesive leftist movement actually comes from. Carrying fringe elements on our collective shoulders, pointing to them and saying, "look at these idiots! I'm better than this!" probably isn't doing much good.
Agree with this so, so much. I think this pinpoints my frustrations with the left and infighting over the past election cycle, and the last time I remember having that same frustration was during OWS.

patapuf

Does under education and religious exempt a misogynist, sexual deviant man (by their standards) who has been married 3 times and has 5 children by 3 different women. I would assume somebody religious would scrutinize Trump even more... unless it was something else.

The religious block knows how to get what they want.

They voted in an atheist adulterer. But they'll get the anti abortion laws they want along with a host of other shit.

Being principled would have meant they get nothing.

I like to try to give the benefit of the doubt to people but only take away I got from listening to women at work complain about it was that the message wasn't clear enough and that's "pointless". None of this stuff ever works and doesn't cause real change so why are people wasting their time over it. There seems to be a lot of disenfranchised people and most of them were under 30.

The follow up comments from the person who sent that tweet, I believe remain a completely valid point. That the women at the march should (if they aren't already) confront their white family members about their support for Trump, because they have a much better chance of getting through to them, than any minority from outside the family does.

My wife, I'm proud to say, challenges some of our family on this stuff (and was at the march). But that's a key thing we need to think about.

And 'challenge' doesn't mean 'call them a racist' or whatever here.

Isn't that a valid thing for a minority to want a white woman to do? Something that they can't, but that could potentially make a positive difference?

This is a good point. Talking about politics is often taboo amongst white families. I was surprised that every family member I talked to was anti-trump, including my 87 year old southern grandma. Which is one reason I was so shook by his victory.

LotusHD

Banned
Well, now you know. Republican women, especially the hardliners, will always confound me. The shit I personally heard, forget about online, in defense of Trump was real fucking stupid.

As soon as I saw people actually defending Trump saying he grabs women's pussies, I should've known how things would've turned out.

*blinks*

Koodo

Banned
How many people do you expect to see in the reverse? Yes, there's always better turnout to things that directly affect you. This isn't something that is a characteristic of specifically white women. Nor is it shocking at all that regardless of oppression that you worry about your needs over others. I don't see black males heavily being involved in LGBTQIA either, should I be mad at them for only thinking of themselves?
In what reverse? Black and non-white women marching for the oppression of whiteness?

Also, the internet has a disproportionate amount of people who don't leave their house. You'll note not many people in this thread seem to have gone to any march for any cause, but we all have STRONG opinions about them.

Cuz some of us had to work or had other important family obligations. It doesn't mean we don't care or are pretending to care.

LionPride

Banned
First Muslims don't mean anything, there is no common point between an Iranian, a Uighur in xinjiang , a Moroccan of third generation born in Brussels and a Pakistani doctor living in the us. ( except for Racist dickhead)

If you can use biased statistics to paint a whole group of people ( those 53% represent the expressed vote, not the real vote)
Why isn't it open bar to do it for another group of people in our post truth world?
Don't bring up a terrible hypothetical when we know that around more than half of white women voted for a vile person who said terrible things that extend to white women.

sn00zer

I feel like these articles love to target white liberals and are a real good way to drive away groups that actually genuinely wold want to help. I truly do not understand how calling out white liberal groups help a cause. Yes, there are clearly issues in that community, but pointing out a million things wrong with them is going to make them want to stop helping.

Blader

White fragility thread 2: electric Boogaloo

So much to unpack in this thread and what it actually means to be an ally

The reaction to this thread demonstrates how white feminism is white supremacy. It seems y'all would rather WOC be silenced.

In activist circles, there's a lot of criticisms of cishet black men, and they're valid af. As a cishet black man, I don't dismiss them out of hand or defer to some reactionary "not all black men".

Do better.

Get the hell out of here with this bullshit. Who in this thread is saying women of color should be silenced, particularly in regards to this march? There were countless signs and chants advocating for African-Americans (and specifically BLM), immigrants, and Muslims. And the march's organizers were women of color!

The religious block knows how to get what they want.

They voted in an atheist adulterer. But they'll get the anti abortion laws they want along with a host of other shit.

Being principled would have meant they get nothing.

Ok, that's a good point, but it also shows the means justify the ends and any type of "morality" is thrown out the door in achieving it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom