• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Post-Women's March: white women, working class, and people might need to reflect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Yeah. Probably.

BLM Protestors arrested in MN:

Every BLM rally I've been to has been full of white people. My beef with the bigotry from the majority of white America is not going to make me attack, counter-productively, the people who are fighting it right along side me. That's the trap actual racists want us to fall in to.
I'm curious if there are stats on this? Probably not. No idea where they would even come from.

Truth hurts. 53% of voting white women voted for Trump, how many white women didn't even care enough to vote thus passively allowing Trump in?

And how many marched across the US and across the world in support on Saturday?

Whilst I'd never be against looking at the actual analytics, no one should be seeking to cause divisions in the opposition against Trump.

A fractured opposition is no fucking use.

No use.

Agree with this so, so much. I think this pinpoints my frustrations with the left and infighting over the past election cycle, and the last time I remember having that same frustration was during OWS.

What pisses me off about the infighting is that as much as I disagreed with some of Bernie's positions, I was prepared to fight for him 100% if he had won the primaries, because of everything that was at stake.

I don't know what we do about the people who still haven't got over the fact Bernie wasn't the candidate. I don't know that we can convince them to overlook not getting 100% of what they want in order to push forwards a greater good.

I really think they're lost to us, and we have to just hope we can swing people from the middle back, and maybe drive more turnout.

Codeblue

we can and should.

When people ask me to apologize for terrorists, I tell them to piss off. I don't own that problem. My white female friend in DC that voted for Hillary doesn't own the problem of my white female co-workers that voted against their interests. If that's a conversation white women want to have with each other, that's great, but I'm not gonna ask them to introspect for people half way across the country that are just as alien to them as it is for anyone else.

Aselith

Those tweets are fairly gross. I don't understand trying to shame people that came out to support you based on assumptions about them?

Like I understand talking about white men as just being a stand in for the establishment but they appear to be trying to shame supporters directly?

Cipherr

#NotAllWhiteWomen

#ShitPost

Those tweets are fairly gross. I don't understand trying to shame people that came out to support you based on assumptions about them?

Like I understand talking about white men as just being a stand in for the establishment but they appear to be trying to shame supporters directly?

At this point Im just convinced these people are stupid, and looking for a simple reaction, nuance be damned.

As a current Pennsylvanian that knows white women that couldn't be bothered to vote but takes the time to post themselves protesting on social media, it kind of rubs me the wrong way. I realize that this is a minority of people but honestly if you don't give a damn, why pretend that you do? If you're in a swing state and can't be bothered to vote you obviously don't give a shit. And that's your right but your fake concern is unneeded. Again that's directed for the small segment that cares now that it's the cool but not a couple of months ago.

Only about 56% of eligibal voters actually voted in the GE. Maybe a lot of people just thought she had it in the bag and got lethargic.Though it was about consistent with total voters are usual, so, maybe 40% of the country just doesn't give a damn eitherway, not matter how bad of an ass the other side has running.

Truth hurts. 53% of voting white women voted for Trump, how many white women didn't even care enough to vote thus passively allowing Trump in?

How the fuck do blanket attacks on white women (or anyone aside from those who actually supported Trump) help anything or anyone?

I don't give a fuck if white people are "fragile". I only care if they vote blue. If you want to be indignant, then fuck off because you are probably not helping that objective. Attacks on any demographic do little except engender resentment among members of that demographic who would otherwise be on your side, because the ones who aren't on your side don't give a fuck anyway.

Enzom21

http://graphics.wsj.com/elections/2016/how-clinton-won/

Black people voted overwhelmingly for Clinton over Sanders in the Democratic primaries.
However during April & May, Sanders was polling much better over Trump than Clinton was:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_sanders-5565.html

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/us/general_election_trump_vs_clinton-5491.html
So black people (if we are going to generalize) helped ensure that it was Clinton vs Trump thus leading to Trump's victory (perhaps, Bernie could have still lost too).

Aren't you adorable. "I'm going to generalize black people to show them they shouldn't generalize white people." You're not clever.

Koodo

Banned
I feel like these articles love to target white liberals and are a real good way to drive away groups that actually genuinely wold want to help. I truly do not understand how calling out white liberal groups help a cause. Yes, there are clearly issues in that community, but pointing out a million things wrong with them is going to make them want to stop helping.
These groups were already not helping and did not want to help if pointing out a flaw in their worldview causes a short-circuit of sympathy towards anyone that doesn't look like them.

You are seemingly proposing minorities to coddle people who likely were not going to do anything for them – as perching atop a pillar of privilege is more comforting than the allyship of a minority could ever be – and consequently have minorities bury their own suffering with the hope that there will be some trickle-down sympathy from the white power they're supposed to caress.

Evidently, by the continued existence of institutional racism, that tactic hasn't worked. Evidently, looking at pivotal moments of progress, protesting and confronting the issues have worked.

Could you not even make it to the end of my post where I gave an example? Also, lol at thinking whiteness being the only descriptor. Not surprised.
You wanted me to address the predictable reach towards the image of black males being unsympathetic towards LGTBQIA? Of course not. Try a less problematic analogy next time.

Crocodile

The follow up comments from the person who sent that tweet, I believe remain a completely valid point. That the women at the march should (if they aren't already) confront their white family members about their support for Trump, because they have a much better chance of getting through to them, than any minority from outside the family does.

My wife, I'm proud to say, challenges some of our family on this stuff (and was at the march). But that's a key thing we need to think about.

And 'challenge' doesn't mean 'call them a racist' or whatever here.

Isn't that a valid thing for a minority to want a white woman to do? Something that they can't, but that could potentially make a positive difference?

Oh I agree. I just can't wrap my head around the fact so much energy in this thread is being wasted on that first tweet when all of it should be focused on the elephant in the room: more White Women for for Trump than against him - what do we do about that moving forward?

Irrelevant garbage

SMH

Posts like these in this context have me more worried about that Democratic party moving forward than anything else

patapuf

Ok, that's a good point, but it also shows the means justify the ends and any type of "morality" is thrown out the door in achieving it.

Absolutely. Which is why people who win power struggles will almost always be opportunists rather than idealists.

That's not to say democrats need to give up all morality to get into power. That would defeat the point.

But at the very least they should take advantage of good opportunities they get. Events like this march are fantastic recruiting grounds. They should be used as such.

Also, I don't give a fuck if you marched. If ya ass can vote and don't in 2018, you can march ya ass the fuck away.

So now we've gone from we're sure they all voted for Trump to "they probably didn't vote at all". Well, that's only logical assumption from seeing a picture of them at a march.

Also, I don't give a fuck if you marched. If ya ass can vote and don't in 2018, you can march ya ass the fuck away.

I personally saw the marches as a way for a lot of people to heal from the recent losses and gather strength for the long fight ahead. I hope they do lead to some more targeted activism, but I think even if they don't, they had some value by letting people who feel helpless and maybe even isolated, see that they are part of something much bigger.

That's the sort of thing that makes it easier to keep fighting.

Plum

You are seemingly proposing minorities to coddle people who likely were not going to do anything for them

This thread is about liberals going after those marching in protest for the cause as a whole during the cold, rainy winter

Though it was about consistent with total voters are usual, so, maybe 40% of the country just doesn't give a damn eitherway, not matter how bad of an ass the other side has running.

The US has a huge problem with people not wanting to perform civic duties.

See jury duty, for instance.

See, we talk about people not understanding each other, but I'm not sure the other side understands the issue either.

It's not that easy to basically turn against your family, community, and friends who all believe differently than you. It takes a lot of courage to stand in the face of a huge group of people and tell them that you think their beliefs are garbage and especially so when they're literally those closest to you. In some cases, it's asking someone to give up close relationships altogether, often with no possible replacement or total alienation from their community if they do so. Many people actually do do this and are now met with, "everything is your fault for not trying harder" like that isn't super insensitive or frustrating.

Like, someone might not be able to even talk with their mother and father anymore, but hey, it's just another sign of white fragility when they complain that it feels like people are pointing the finger of blame squarely on them.

LionPride

Banned
So now we've gone from we're sure they all voted for Trump to "they probably didn't vote at all". Well, that's only logical assumption from seeing a picture of them at a march.
That's what you took from that huh
I personally saw the marches as a way for a lot of people to heal from the recent losses and gather strength for the long fight ahead. I hope they do lead to some more targeted activism, but I think even if they don't, they had some value by letting people who feel helpless and maybe even isolated, see that they are part of something much bigger.

That's the sort of thing that makes it easier to keep fighting.
Okay. But if you marched because you needed to heal, why not do something in 2018? March all you want, don't mean a thing unless you vote in 2018.

Koodo

Banned
This thread is about liberals going after those marching in protest during the cold winter.
Yes, this thread is about minorities in a march telling you that even those same "liberals" have not done enough to help them.

I'm curious if there are stats on this? Probably not. No idea where they would even come from.
Probably not. I was a minority at the BLM events I've attended here in New Mexico, and the opposite back home in Chicago. I'm not sure stats would matter, though. My view is simple enough: The majority of white America is racist and has always been. You can't convince me Trump did not win almost entirely due to bigotry. On the other hand, the slow progress of civil rights in this country has, at every point, been shouldered by the alliance of white progressives and people of color. White or black, the people who fail to understand this are part of the problem.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Does under education and religious exempt a misogynist, sexual deviant man (by their standards) who has been married 3 times and has 5 children by 3 different women. I would assume somebody religious would scrutinize Trump even more... unless it was something else.
Religious people are not the most scrutinous folk - they normally go with what their pastor tells them. And under-education can exempt a shit-ton of stuff - never underestimate good old human ignorance. The something else part - surely there was racism/supremacy at work as well. But the majority of people just tend to fall for the populist angle - under-educated people tend to do that. How do I know that without being an American? Simple - it works this way in the rest of the world. Populism and nationalism are on the rise in EU. Those traditionally go with a siding of racism/supremacy/past-greatness-to-be-restored. Sounds familiar?

Plum

Yes, this thread is about minorities in a march telling you that even those same "liberals" have not done enough to help them.

Then what can they do to help?

If voting for Clinton and protesting isn't "enough" then what else can they do?

DarkKyo

That's what you took from that huh

Okay. But if you marched because you needed to heal, why not do something in 2018? March all you want, don't mean a thing unless you vote in 2018.
Why are you so willing to judge people when voting in 2018 hasn't happened yet? What makes you so sure every single person in that march won't vote?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Probably not. I was a minority at the BLM events I've attended here in New Mexico, and the opposite back home in Chicago. I'm not sure stats would matter, though. My view is simple enough: The majority of white America is racist and has always been. You can't convince me Trump did not win almost entirely due to bigotry. On the other hand, the slow progress of civil rights in this country has, at every point, been shouldered by the alliance of white progressives and people of color. White or black, the people who fail to understand this are part of the problem.

Oh totally, that's exactly how I feel.

I was just thinking about stuff I've read saying women are - in general - more likely to be politically active on a grassroots level and wondering aloud.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
State elections occur this November.

People need to vote every year.

Yep.

Hell, we can always use more volunteers as well - at all times. 90% of the policies that shape your day to day life are local policies set by local politicians. Fight locally.

Relevant to the "people need to vote in 2018" commentary - we need to work hard on young PoC turnout - it cost us this election.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...ayed-home-probably-cost-clinton-the-election/

More harmful for Clinton was which young voters stayed home: minorities. Among white voters, voters 18-29 years old made up 30 percent of voters who did not participate in the November election. Among young Hispanic voters, that climbs to 43 percent. Among young black voters, it was an even higher 46 percent. That generally matches the findings of the voter data released in some Southern states showing that young black voters were especially likely to stay home in this election. Younger black voters were far more likely to support Bernie Sanders in the primary, suggesting that there simply was not the enthusiasm for Clinton's candidacy as there was for Obama's in 2012. Clinton's favorable rating, for instance, was about 10 percentage points lower among the youngest black voters compared to the oldest black voters in the SurveyMonkey poll.

Perhaps most important is the group that voted in much larger numbers than in 2012: white voters without a college degree. (Trump won this bloc 63 percent to 32 percent.) Generally speaking, college graduates are more likely to vote than non-college graduates, even when controlling for race. According to the Current Population Survey, whites without a college degree made up 44 percent of voters who cast a ballot in 2012, and 58 percent of registered voters who didn't vote.

These may have been some of the ”missing" white voters that RealClearPolitics Sean Trende has written about, but in 2016, they weren't missing. In the SurveyMonkey data, white non-college graduates made up 48 percent of 2016 registered voters who didn't vote, substantially lower than 2012. They made up 47 percent of voters. It's pretty remarkable that a group of voters that is shrinking as a percentage of the population made up a larger share of the electorate in 2016 than in 2012. But Trump made a clear appeal to this group, and some voters who stayed at home in previous years may have felt they had a greater voice in 2016.

And maybe that's not the right approach, when there's a huge fucking wave of protest and anger against Trump that's still cresting. Right now.

But "Thanks but your show of support was pointless/irrelevant" surely helps to embolden that spirit!

I feel like I have to keep bouncing back and forth on this topic, because people keep taking it too far.

You're going to let some tweets and a few signs signal that, just a couple days after those enormous marches, the left is "in shambles"?

This is where it wraps back around and leads us right back to white fragility. Question whites, even if it's a bit unfair (plenty of whites in the 60's civil rights movement, plenty of whites with BLM today), you must be 100% broken.

Question any demo that brushes up against "average white person" and it's all hyperbole and how dare yous from then on out.

Mostly because generalizing groups in general whoever they are is probably really not the right call. You didn't see Obama hardly do it at all during elections (though a bit)

That's kind of the problem, the left is becoming truly obsessed with identity politics. The issue with that is often times lifting up one group it can be easy to start to paint another in a different light. Focus on improving the lives of people of color and you may find yourself broadly painting white people in a negative light. Focus on women's rights and you may find yourself painting large groups of men in a negative light. Etc.

Now that's not saying these issues aren't important they are. The problem, at least in terms of if you want to win people to your side is positivity. Obama straight won the election due to preaching a message of Hope. It was more inclusive than exclusive. The current atmosphere in the left is to focus on a certain identity politic at each given time and largely paint "others" as misogynist, racist, etc. It's just not going to work. You don't energize people by being negative to them.

As dumb and as full of shit as Trump was his slogan of "Make America Great Again" was brilliant because on a surface level to the general public it sounds like a positive message.

Again Dems need another Obama

These groups were already not helping and did not want to help if pointing out a flaw in their worldview causes a short-circuit of sympathy towards anyone that doesn't look like them.

You are seemingly proposing minorities to coddle people who likely were not going to do anything for them – as perching atop a pillar of privilege is more comforting than the allyship of a minority could ever be – and consequently have minorities bury their own suffering with the hope that there will be some trickle-down sympathy from the white power they're supposed to caress.

Evidently, by the continued existence of institutional racism, that tactic hasn't worked. Evidently, looking at pivotal moments of progress, protesting and confronting the issues have worked.

It's not so much sympathy as it is recognizing that white privilege has limits.

You know, there are political scientists who have made connections between the growing black middle class and a new disdain towards their own race who are members of a lower economic class. Like I said earlier, white privilege is real, to a varied extent, but the economic class struggle is something that affects communities of all colors and correcting these economic concerns can correct racial issues as well. My point is that it's not simply an issue of race 100% of the time.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The sooner people stop trying to paint everybody of a certain skin color and sex as some predetermined fucking stereotype the better. Not everyone that isn't your race/gender is out to get you. This damn fucking hate ouroboros gets old. I'm getting sick of seeing clearly hateful mentalities being flung both directions and people patting themselves on the back DID IT FOR THE TEAM FUCK THE REST and shit gets applauded like they said some positive world changing thing.

These "white fragility" post are a fucking toxic mentality.

Also, if you claim to be an ally but a sign calling out people of the same ethnicity as you for something they actually did is enough to stop you, then you were never an ally to begin with.
No a damn sign like promotes the mentally that white people are out to get them don't trust them it fuels the race hate loop

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This is how you get 8 years of Trump.

Individual agency means nothing, and I am personally responsible for the actions of members of my racial group that I have absolutely nothing in common with.

Believe me, I tried to convince my family of Trump voters not to do it. I got through to TWO of them out of the 20 or so I spoke with.

I'm also a card carrying member of the DNC, maxed out my donations to HRC and was at the March.

But I'm sure my wife and I are part of the problem.

Counter productive as fuck. I get that POC are mad, and they have every right to be, but blaming members of a group of people for the actions of other people of that group is not altogether useful and is frankly dismissive of the decades of work some of these women have done to advance the cause of feminism out of hand because they are white.

And don't call it "white fragility". I have every right to be mad for being lumped in with the action of people that I loath and vehemently have opposed my entire life.

Oh I agree. I just can't wrap my head around the fact so much energy in this thread is being wasted on that first tweet when all of it should be focused on the elephant in the room: more White Women for for Trump than against him - what do we do about that moving forward?
Hillary was the devil to concervatives. A ton of(not just white) women still hold concervative values. This country is incredibly concervative still. I know a ton of them and I am a Mexican living in southern California. People tend to cherry pick certain issues and ignore the rest even those that will hurt them in favor of concervative views. We also assume they do as much research about their candidate as the average person on the internet. They don't. They live on their echochamber Facebook feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom