• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Platy

DAMN good cast for the Saint !

So thanks to my tattoo this just happened

506E3FE3-07C2-4253-BF79-CB714B9C9B36_zpshhwcfkar.jpg

Awesome !

....can you show us a better look of the tatoo ?

I see Preacher, Sandman and something on the left of Jesse...

Helmholtz

I read the comics a couple years ago, and I thought the pilot was pretty good. They got a lot right.
However I'm not sure this is something I'd recommend to people who aren't familiar with the source. I feel like the pilot was kind of all over the place.
The casting for Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip is spot on though, and I'll keep watching. It was better than I thought it would be.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Watching the directors commentary and the reveal above for SoK's casting made me realize something.

Jesse - English
Tulip - Irish
Cass - English

Emily (new secondary character) - English
Saint of Killers - Scottish

Garth Ennis, original creator - Irish.

UK representation is strong on the show about a Preacher from Texas.
Well, the book always seemed like a foreigner's fantasy of America, but it does help that British/Irish/Australian actors are eating American actors lunches lately. Think of how many shows and movies have foreigner's playing Americans with complete plausibility, the one that was funny to me recently was Matthew Rhys of The Americans. A welshman playing a Russian who fakes being American, ha.

fucks sake

Yeah, seems like a bonehead move to debut a new series then go on break right afterward the first episode. Great way to kill momentum. I get why they're going on break, but I feel like they either should've aired the first episode either sooner or later to avoid this situation.

I liked it, and hadn't read the comic in almost 6 years. However, it took a while to get going, and it'll probably confuse people new to the character. I'll stick with it.

I watched the Pilot again and... well, I am definitely not as down on it especially after reading that Garth Ennis interview, which sounds like they aren't really going to do any radical departures but as far as things that I think won't be in:

[*]Meatman fucking a gigantic woman idol made of meat in a slaughter house which he owns
[*]Without spoiling to much, Humperdido and the Pope
[*]Mount Rushmore being nuked, although that could make it in afterall after that Ennis interview
[*]Herr Star being castrated multiple times, and being fucked by the awesome gay Detective characters
[*]De Sade and his "Ice Cream" moment, and probably everything that happens in his pleasure mansion
[*]John Wayne will probably not make an appearence but I'd fucking love it

Honestly, I really like it, the characters feel like their comic book counterparts and... really most of the feel of the book is in the show.

Breads

Banned
I watched the Pilot again and... well, I am definitely not as down on it especially after reading that Garth Ennis interview, which sounds like they aren't really going to do any radical departures but as far as things that I think won't be in:

[*]Meatman fucking a gigantic woman idol made of meat in a slaughter house which he owns
[*]Without spoiling to much, Humperdido and the Pope
[*]Mount Rushmore being nuked, although that could make it in afterall after that Ennis interview
[*]Herr Star being castrated multiple times, and being fucked by the awesome gay Detective characters
[*]De Sade and his "Ice Cream" moment, and probably everything that happens in his pleasure mansion
[*]John Wayne will probably not make an appearence but I'd fucking love it

Honestly, I really like it, the characters feel like their comic book counterparts and... really most of the feel of the book is in the show.

Most of it you could kind of see coming but missing
Allfather D'arnique
is a god damn tragedy.

Most of it you could kind of see coming but missing
Allfather D'arnique
is a god damn tragedy.

Yeah, he was pretty fucking amazing, my jaw dropped when all that stuff with him happened in the comic book. Although, the moment with De Sade also really fucking got me, I was like, HOLY FUCK he just fisted a random gimp. In a comic book.

Also, I kinda hope the detectives from the comics show up, I really loved their banter in the comic book.

I was going to ban his ass, but it looks like spoiler tags don't work in conjunction with list ones.

Be mindful of that until it gets fixed, folks.

Jesus christ use spoiler tags, come on

Fuck me, I didn't even notice, I had to go watch The Witch with my mom.

I am so sorry to everyone that read that and got spoiled on like... 3/4s of the story. Fuck.

Goddamnit I feel horrible. :( Thanks for not banning me, but how do I redeem myself? I usually am very careful about posting spoilers. D:

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Fuck me, I didn't even notice, I had to go watch The Witch with my mom.

I am so sorry to everyone that read that and got spoiled on like... 3/4s of the story. Fuck.

Goddamnit I feel horrible. :( Thanks for not banning me, but how do I redeem myself? I usually am very careful about posting spoilers. D:
Manure occurs. Next time check if the spoiler tagged post came out alright before closing the tab. Bugs and botched tags/typos can mess up your posts if you are not careful.

Manure occurs. Next time check if the spoiler tagged post came out alright before closing the tab. Bugs and botched tags/typos can mess up your posts if you are not careful.

Thanks Funky, I will make sure to do so.

Some thoughts on where the show might be going(comic book spoilers!):
At the end of the episode, Jesse decides to stay in the town and keep preaching, essentially misunderstanding what happened when Genesis came down from the heavens/space, and possessed him, and misunderstanding his mission. From what I can tell, I think they are just trying to flesh out the characters a bit more, kind of like with Walking Dead. Part of me really hopes they don't meander too much, if they do this show will be dead in the water. I think what will happen is that Jesse will eventually probably become really fed up with the town, gets angry, and then KABOOM. The town of Annville goes up nuclear style, Cassidy, tulip, Arseface, and the Sheriff along with the two dudes from Grail Industries/Crusaders are the only survivors.

I mean the whole town part of the comic literally lasted for maybe 10 pages before it goes up like an atom bomb. Then its a breakneck pace from there for awhile before we start delving into Jesse's psyche, and Tulip and Jesse's relationship. Although I wonder if they will include the part where Jesse gets a bit... beat-y with Tulip(the reasons behind this is actually well explained... it's just hard to watch and kind of made Jesse a POS in my eyes). That shit would probably cause a riot on twitter.

I'm not sure if Herr Starr will actually be in this, but he might. Unless one of those dudes in the beginning is supposed to be him. In which case, it will be hard to identify him until he introduces himself, which sucks because his design was fairly unique in the comic.

I also have to wonder if the angels that got exiled to Earth and know the truth behind Genesis will be in the show. They were funny, and pretty great.

Allfather D'Arnique and Humperdido have got to be out for sure, there is no way that shit would fly.

I think the story will keep a lot of the story beats, but some of the events are definitely going to happen differently from the comic book.

Breads

Banned
Considering how
Odin Quincannon
already made it to the next episode's preview my take is that they are going to take a lot of character ideas and moments from the early and late parts of the comic and combine them for this first season as they stick around in this town and then combine aspects of
Jesus DeSade, New York, New Orleans
for the next possible season, peppering
God and The Grail
throughout.

Ashby

Watching the directors commentary and the reveal above for SoK's casting made me realize something.

Jesse - English
Tulip - Irish
Cass - English

Appropriate since the comic was written by a Brit.

I was so excited for a new episode last night, and so disappointed when it was a repeat. The show doesn't really capture the feel of the comic in my opinion (the American West through the imagination of an Irishman who watched a lot of old movies), but it does its own thing and what it does is very interesting. I especially liked the overall hopeless tone, all the early indicators that
God had abandoned his creation,
and the seething anger underneath it all. That makes a decent substitute for the grotesque depravity, often sexual depravity, of the book, which it seems like they'll shy away from if the different outcome of the first major use of Jesse's word is an indication.

jett

D-Member
Pretty weird overall. Over the years I've really started to dislike cryptic shit in general, so I'm not sure how long I'll last with this one.

Breads

Banned
Pretty weird overall. Over the years I've really started to dislike cryptic shit in general, so I'm not sure how long I'll last with this one.

The shame here is that the comic is the exact opposite.

It hits the ground running with the premise and story beats. Only time will tell how quickly the TV adaptation will get into it but being cryptic is definitely not the style of the comic.

Considering how
Odin Quincannon
already made it to the next episode's preview my take is that they are going to take a lot of character ideas and moments from the early and late parts of the comic and combine them for this first season as they stick around in this town and then combine aspects of
Jesus DeSade, New York, New Orleans
for the next possible season, peppering
God and The Grail
throughout.

Oh shit I had to rewatch the preview but you are totally right,
Odin Quincannon aka Meat Man, is indeed in the show. I thought it was going to be kinda pointless to have his slaughter house(which they showed the exterior of in the pilot) without him. I agree that DeSade and the other locales they end up visiting in the book are definitely going to be in the second season. That said, now I can't wait to see if they introduce Odin Quincannon the way they do in the comic... fucking a giant meat woman.

conman

Jesse - English
Tulip - Irish
Cass - English

Hiring actors from the UK and Ireland is a way to cast quality, English-speaking actors without having to pay a premium for higher-profile American talent. Not unusual these days, especially for lower budget TV and movies.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Didn't they debut it on a really busy night? Maybe it's their way of fixing that problem, unless they had this planned for a long time.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
AMC was caught in a really awkward position: they naturally wanted to use Fear the Walking Dead's mid season finale as the lead in for Preacher's premiere to ensure that a healthy dose of people had their eyes tuned to the channel to sample the new series, but then Memorial Day was the following week and it kind of put a damper on the series' momentum. But airing the second episode during a holiday weekend would also have done that and while delaying the premiere of the series until, say, next week would have allowed them to skip any breaks, then they wouldn't have been able to benefit from FtWD's lead in.

I'm really not sure what the best move would have been...perhaps they could have re-aired the first episode last Sunday along with episode 2, and then re-air episode 2 along with episode 3 next week, and then go back to one episode per night the following week?

EDIT: The repeat earned 643K and Talking Preacher did 538K. Which actually isn't too bad for a repeat on Memorial Day.

T.O.P

Banned
Just catched up with the pilot and i'm loving it so far, mc is great, nice music and it looks absolutely lovely as well...hope it keeps being so fast paced and fresh as this first episode

Got my 60 year old dad to watch this today, he seemed to really like it.

"It's different, I don't know," he says smirking.
Then he chuckled, asked "The Chaos Emeralds?"

:p Joking. He actually said he wanted to watch the new episode with me tonight at 7.

WHOOP WHOOP Dat fucking teaser man damn. Odin Quincannon looked like he jumped out of the fucking comic books with mah boy Rorschach doing the business. I noticed in the promo he used dialogue from the comic!!! SQUEEE.

I so fucking hope the first scene we see of Quincannon is
him fucking the meat woman effigy. EH EH UNH SAY MY NAME.

Looks like an odd runtime tonight---just the ticket to confound the DVR...but with the 11 something re-run I can at least transition decently in right after GoT and Penny Dreadful.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Just finished the first episode and... I'm mixed but waiting to see a few more episodes. I'm not a big fan of things being so mysterious and the pace being the opposite of the opening of the original comic. I'm waiting to see if the new material comes together but right now not feeling it entirely. Also its still weird seeing Cass without his glasses on.

Top Bottom