• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Preacher |OT| The Beginning Is Nigh - Sundays 10/9c on AMC

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Tulip hooking up with Cassidy?

What?

...what?

Fucking WHAT?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Tulip hooking up with Cassidy?

What?

...what?

Fucking WHAT?
Yeah that was bizarre. I mean...
it does happen in the comics, briefly, but in obviously completely different circumstances
, and right now it's just really hard to guess at Tulip's motivations for that...

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Shit.

I haven't finished the episode but I felt so fuckin sad during that scene with Eugene and his dad. Arseface was such a great character in the comics and they're really nailing it here. That boy deserves better, I hope they do right by him.

It's like they are just mashing up a bunch of characters and storylines from the later arcs for no other reason than to do it at this point.

No one will understand The Cowboy unless they have read the books so it seems a bit premature to introduce his backstory so early.

As usual with every episode there is so little payoff.

It is sad because the comic books constantly keep things interesting.

Sanjuro

Two episodes to answer a phone. Another cliffhanger cold open. What were they thinking?

They finally make some interesting strides with the Angels in the diner, the normal folk having a revelation that Preacher has a gift, Tulip hooking up with Cassidy, and Odin's meltdown, and ended all on cliffhangers.

It's like the writers assumed that this show was going to be dumped onto Netflix all at once. This is awful pacing for a weekly series. Edit: and I also liked this week's ep.

That's my primary problem with the program. This would work in a binge watching situation. Week to week? Just feels like an absolute waste of time.

This is the first episode that has felt like it actually has a purpose in the greater story. There's actual tension building now, with clearer threats and challenges. Now that someone knows what Jesse can do, things are about to get really interesting. The preview for next week also looked very promising.

What the hell are they doing with Tulip and Cassidy? Ugh

I had the same reaction, but thinking about it I guess she's trying to get under Jesse's skin and pull him out of his divine stupor by force (recall the komodo dragon story). It's a bit of a weird point in the story to do this though. At this stage, how could Jesse ever forgive Cassidy? They're not that good pals.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I had the same reaction, but thinking about it I guess she's trying to get under Jesse's skin and pull him out of his divine stupor by force (recall the komodo dragon story). It's a bit of a weird point in the story to do this though. At this stage, how could Jesse ever forgive Cassidy? They're not that good pals.
Well it's all uncharted territory right now. We never got this good of a look at Jesse actually being a preacher. For all we know this is absolutely Tulip using Cassidy to get back at Jesse for ignoring her and when Jesse flips out either we get Cassidy "banished" by the voice and we don't see him till later where we get him saving Jesse and Tulip in some action sequence or we see some comic book spoiler stuff
(Cassidy is in the church when Jesse destroys the town)
with Cassidy included in it.

I feel like I can't be too pressed about a lot of the stuff going on right now. Despite its languid pacing I think the show is doing a great job of subverting expectations and playing with storytelling strings to keep it fresh for book readers. If I wanted a beat by beat of the original story id just read the original comic run again. Let them play for the season and actually build the characters before they go crazy down the way. We're 4 episodes deep right now (or is that five?) that's not even the middle of the season yet (is it 13 episodes? Dunno).

iddqd

I'm trying my hardest to look at this without thinking of the comic but it still just leaves me confused.
At this point we should be in love with the main three people right?

Instead it focuses on so many characters that I have a hard time following any of them.
And then they even bring backstories.

Treading water, the show for me so far.

Good episode. Still enjoying this show a lot. It has a vibe similar to better call saul where it kind of moves at its own pace and breathes and it's just a good watch.

I used to read the comic and I'm loving the adaptation.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Man, I haven't read the comic and that tv show is so good. sad to read gaf's reaction to it.

I'm right with you there. It's definitely snail pacing but I'm still intrigued and watching. Can only imagine how good it will feel all in one sitting depending on the end payoffs.

This is the first episode that has felt like it actually has a purpose in the greater story. There's actual tension building now, with clearer threats and challenges. Now that someone knows what Jesse can do, things are about to get really interesting. The preview for next week also looked very promising.

I don't even get the sense that Jesse even likes Tulip or gives a shit what Cassidy does day to day; he thinks the former is irresponsible and that the latter is crazy. At best he treats her like a nuisance and him like a freeloader. Where would this rage come from? He's not introduced them at all. He seems to have a thing for his assistant (the diner girl).

Good episode. Still enjoying this show a lot. It has a vibe similar to better call saul where it kind of moves at its own pace and breathes and it's just a good watch.

I used to read the comic and I'm loving the adaptation.

BCS episodes were filled to the absolute brim with character revelations and new developments, relatively speaking.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
What did Odin Quincannon say after
shooting those people
? Rewinded a few times and couldn't make out what he said.

And yeah I guess I continued watching after all. :p This was a much better episode at least, stuff finally happened for once!

He said "We grow or we die Miles, we grow or we die"

I agree. I was really resenting the show last week because it felt like it was wasting my time. Now stuff is actually happening!

As someone who has never read the comic I have mixed feelings on the show. I love the feel of it all and I'm curious about where things are headed but I just have no idea what the fuck is going on, I agree with other people that this show seems like it would be so much better on Netflix.

He seems to have a thing for his assistant (the diner girl).

What makes you come to that conclusion? The show has gone out of its way to show us that he doesn't have a thing for his assistant, while she has a thing for him. Tulip seems to think there's something going on because she's seen her side of the equation, so she thinks Jesse must be the same. Obviously you've drawn the same conclusion, but I have no idea how you managed to do that.

Zekes!

my dad and I have been enjoying the show so far. It's been long enough since I read the comic that it doesn't really effect much for me. I recognize the issues the show has, but I'm willing to give it the full season to see if it really comes together.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.4 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49

Ratings:

Episode 1: 2.4 million viewers and 0.9 A18-49
Episode 2: 2.1 million viewers and 0.8 A18-49
Episode 3: 1.8 million viewers and 0.7 A18-49
Episode 4: 1.1 million viewers and 0.4 A18-49
Episode 5: 1.4 million viewers and 0.5 A18-49

If it goes the distance to be renewed, they should probably consider a move to mondays and out of the way of GoT for next season.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If it goes the distance to be renewed, they should probably consider a move to mondays and out of the way of GoT for next season.

Yeah I have no clue why they thought going against Game of Thrones was a good idea then again a lot of program scheduling often makes no sense to me.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
As someone who has never read the comic I have mixed feelings on the show. I love the feel of it all and I'm curious about where things are headed but I just have no idea what the fuck is going on, I agree with other people that this show seems like it would be so much better on Netflix.

As someone who has read the comic I have mixed feelings on the show. I love the feel of it all and I'm curious about where things are headed but I just have no idea what the fuck is going on with the directing of the show. I agree with other people that this show seems like it would be so much better on if the show would just get on with it. It's a bit too slow with the build ups and character introductions.

I do recognise a lot of the characters (assface needs more drool but is great) and the scenes faithfully created from the comics, but something is missing. I hope this gets better and I truly hope this does not get cancelled.

As someone who has read the comic I have mixed feelings on the show. I love the feel of it all and I'm curious about where things are headed but I just have no idea what the fuck is going on with the directing of the show. I agree with other people that this show seems like it would be so much better on if the show would just get on with it. It's a bit too slow with the build ups and character introductions.

I do recognise a lot of the characters (assface needs more drool but is great) and the scenes faithfully created from the comics, but something is missing. I hope this gets better and I truly hope this does not get cancelled.
I hope not too, but man, the shos is dragging it's heels so much it feels like it doesn't care.
They need to fuck off with all the actual 'preaching', I know it's the name of the show but in the comics he does like, half a mass then everyone explodes and it all kicks off.

Dunlop

That's my primary problem with the program. This would work in a binge watching situation. Week to week? Just feels like an absolute waste of time.
Agree, for the last 2 weeks I feel like it has been a supernatural version of Mad Men.

I hope it picks up as I'm trying to watch it "blind" as I have never read the comics.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

?????

Breads

Banned
After sitting on it a bit I realized that I do indeed like the show. It's not what I would have expected out of a Jesse, Tulip, or a Preacher storyline but I do like what it is attempting to do and although the pace is not great the issue I have with it the most is that I want this show to succeed - I want this storyline to finish on it's own terms - and I feel like there are certain really basic writing/ pacing decisions made that were needlessly risky that may potentially alienate both new and old Preacher audiences.

That said the feeling I have now is the same feeling that I had when I first started watching Breaking Bad. It didn't really click for me until the sixth episode of Season 1. Maybe we'll get that "shit just got real" moment that pulls it all together for Preacher.

HStallion

After sitting on it a bit I realized that I do indeed like the show. It's not what I would have expected out of a Jesse, Tulip, or a Preacher storyline but I do like what it is attempting to do and although the pace is not great the issue I have with it the most is that I want this show to succeed - I want this storyline to finish on it's own terms - and I feel like there are certain really basic writing/ pacing decisions made that were needlessly risky that may potentially alienate both new and old Preacher audiences.

That said the feeling I have now is the same feeling that I had when I first started watching Breaking Bad. It didn't really click for me until the sixth episode of Season 1. Maybe we'll get that "shit just got real" moment that pulls it all together for Preacher.

My worry is this is the pace the entire series will take or worse yet we are stuck in this town for large chunks of the series. Preacher is a show you could probably finish the entire story in 3 to 4 seasons but at the pace things are going now I could see this going on for a very long time and I'm not sure I want that myself.

Bebpo

Banned
Most likely the Saint of Killers parts as those seem to be the most "accurate" to what happens in his background chapters

Even that is totally changed.

Really disliked the change in the opening of ep5.
The whole goddamn point of the saint's backstory is that it was an act of GOD that caused him to be late.
Him making the decision himself to turn around and ride back to try to "save" the family from possible harm (again totally out of character), almost completely negates that since it was his own act that caused it.
Like, this was such a pointless change that has huge repercussions when the original story which was being followed fine until that point would have worked with him running across an attacked carriage.

The only thing I like about this adaptation is Cassidy, because he's Cassidy. Everything else is really bad at this point. Feels like the writers don't know what they're doing with the source material.

Breads

Banned
Preacher is a show you could probably finish the entire story in 3 to 4 seasons but at the pace things are going now I could see this going on for a very long time and I'm not sure I want that myself.

As much as
staying local
feels weird right now I feel like it still has potential to go places, figuratively and literally. If they want to condense the
questionable arc later on in Preacher's story along with some backstory
into a more TV friendly prequel arc that's fine.

I cannot support
the story staying local for very long though
because to do that would be to tell a completely different story.
We need a road trip. We need New York to tell Cassidy's story. We need Jesse's family estate and a Grail compound. We need the Alamo. New Orleans and Jesus De Sade would be nice too.
Without it... it's just not Preacher.

HStallion

Even that is totally changed.

Really disliked the change in the opening of ep5.
The whole goddamn point of the saint's backstory is that it was an act of GOD that caused him to be late.
Him making the decision himself to turn around and ride back to try to "save" the family from possible harm (again totally out of character), almost completely negates that since it was his own act that caused it.
Like, this was such a pointless change that has huge repercussions when the original story which was being followed fine until that point would have worked with him running across an attacked carriage.

The only thing I like about this adaptation is Cassidy, because he's Cassidy. Everything else is really bad at this point. Feels like the writers don't know what they're doing with the source material.

Yeah I just felt its the most accurate compared to the other totally changed parts of the story.

Or they could just wait and air it after GoT ends.
that's really the mistake here. I haven't watched a single preacher episode live because of GoT.

It's interesting to see people hating on the adaptation when critically the show seems to be doing very well on all the review sites.

HStallion

As much as
staying local
feels weird right now I feel like it still has potential to go places, figuratively and literally. If they want to condense the

I cannot support
We need a road trip. We need New York to tell Cassidy's story. We need Jesse's family estate and a Grail compound. We need the Alamo. New Orleans and Jesus De Sade would be nice too.

I just want to see a season finale episode for a later season end with the smoke clearing...
from the aftermath of the nuke blast and as the seconds pass by and the camera moves slowly through the smoke and fire and ash and a figure starts to appear. Blurry at first but as the camera gets close and closer it becomes the silhouette of a tall man in a Trench cloak and cowboy hate and the camera finds the grimacing face of the Saint of Killers totally unharmed and the gravely voice just says one thing as he glares into the camera,"Not enough gun" before a sudden cut to black

Breads

Banned
While we're at it
we need a throne scene for Saint of Killers and we need to watch God bite out Jesse's eye.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
*yawns*

I'm still bored. There were some good scenes sprinkled around, but we're now at the halfway mark and the momentum hasn't changed much.

It's time for another big episode, next week might be that.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
As much as
staying local

I cannot support
Good points, couldn't agree more. This isn't Preacher, just a pale copy.

I like slow shows (Rectify is my favourite TV series ever), but I honestly don't understand what the momentum/interest is supposed to be with this.

As a non comic reader am I supposed to understand what all the stuff at the start of the episode with the cowboy was about? Someone mentioned there was a scene with him earlier this season but I don't remember it

As a non comic reader am I supposed to understand what all the stuff at the start of the episode with the cowboy was about? Someone mentioned there was a scene with him earlier this season but I don't remember it

Yes there was a scene earlier this season that is key to understanding what happened in this one. It's continuing that story.

Top Bottom