• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Prey (2017) |OT| Trust no one. Not even your shelf

7 hours in and i give up. im trapped in a room with no ammo, no materials to recycle/build, and no psi

the risk to reward in this game is totally fucked. i can clear a room full of enemies wasting all of my ammo and psi, and end up with a banana peel and a broken hard drive

must have died 500 times and just not having fun any more. started on hard, reduced difficulty to medium about 2 - 3 hours in. not sure if i messed up the allocation of my neuromods but this is literally impossible

psychotron

7 hours in and i give up. im trapped in a room with no ammo, no materials to recycle/build, and no psi

the risk to reward in this game is totally fucked. i can clear a room full of enemies wasting all of my ammo and psi, and end up with a banana peel and a broken hard drive

must have died 500 times and just not having fun any more. started on hard, reduced difficulty to medium about 2 - 3 hours in. not sure if i messed up the allocation of my neuromods but this is literally impossible

I've never once been in a hopeless situation in this game. I also survey areas and plan accordingly. Are you playing on the hardest difficulty?

munroe

Man, the latest patch seems to be really unstable. Started a new game and within about a few hours, I've hard 1 hard crash, one point I couldn't pick up certain items (a reload fixed that), one time when it just booted me back to the home screen and a message popped up saying do you own this game or app.

Compare that to pre-patch, didn't encounter a single crash or major issues

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member

This was me during my first run through which is why I gave it 4/10, I hated it, but then I read up more on the game and I had missed so much, I rushed through it which is why I was so low on resources. On my second run I did everything, and used the tips and tricks I had learned to turn 45 minute frustrating fights into 5 minute breezes. Not even half way through my second run I was considerably more progressed than by the end of my first run, at least double the mods, double the weapon upgrades and I was swimming in resources. I will say this is the most I have ever felt punished for not playing a game how it wants to be played but overall I'd give it 7/10 after my second run.

Finally finished the game (~25 hours). Explored a lot and did most of the side quests, I think. Game started very strong, but the last 25% were a big let down. Instead of fighting/sneaking my way through the endgame I honestly ran past most enemies, because they were able to sock too much damage and their re-spawning nature was annoying. Ruined the game for me a bit, to be honest.
Still one of the best 'dungeon crawlers' I've played in a long time, with some nice twists, but a bit too long with a bit too much running around back and forth if you want to do side quests and an annoying last part (visually cool though). A strong 8/10 for me.

Few tips to deal with
military operators in the future:
- Use the Stun Gun. You should upgrade it so it can damage them more
- If you have Hacking 4, stun them with a stun gun or electrostatic burst then hack them to make them your ally
- If you have Leverage 3, use big objects to block operator dispensers. If not, stack a bunch of objects to block the dispensers
- You should deal first with Kaspar

I feel like this game rewards careful planning, meticulous searching and slower play. All things I do naturally, so I find myself ridiculously overpowered and laden with resources and ammo at all times. It's definitely a blast, but I think I will use a harder difficulty on my next play through (on Normal right now).

d00d3n

So traveling to
the crew quarters
means an obligatory encounter with the Nightmare? He is standing right at the entrance, so seems impossible to avoid under normal circumstances. I did manage to avoid the fight by spending all my hoarded neuromods in the previous area, thereby triggering the nightmare hunt there, and despawning him in
the crew quarters
, but it still means that the nightmare hunt respawn timer is active I guess ...

Anyone who managed to get into crew quarters without starting the timer that counts down to new nightmare attacks? The Prey wikia page on the Nightmare enemy states that it will start hunting you after going to
deep storage
, but I don't see how it would be possible to go through
the crew quarters
without starting the nightmare hunt.

Finished the game last night. Enjoyed it immensely,
particularly the free reign you have over the entire station. I'm also glad that
every quest matters, particularly if and how you complete them
and how it plays out in the end.

I need more games like this. Gave me such System Shock 2 feels.

An-Det

Is
Aaron Ingram
located in the station at all if you saved him? (mild endgame spoiler)
He's the only survivor on the shuttle at the end, so If I can kill him and get the achievement for leaving alone with Dahl that'd be cool.
I couldn't find him in the security tracking directory, but it's possible I overlooked his name.

munroe

Is
Aaron Ingram
located in the station at all if you saved him? (mild endgame spoiler)
He's the only survivor on the shuttle at the end, so If I can kill him and get the achievement for leaving alone with Dahl that'd be cool.
I couldn't find him in the security tracking directory, but it's possible I overlooked his name.

He's the guy trapped in
psychotronics, and you have to decide to either release him or let the Typhon kill him. If you release him, he'll stick around psychotronics unless he inadvertently gets killed by a wandering Typhon

An-Det

Finished it up today and had a blast. I was skeptical after the demo didn't really grab me, but at some point it clicked (probably once I put some points into hacking and improved maneuverability stuff). The combat is fine, but the atmosphere and feel of the world is great. Sneaking around the station, scanning for mimics, stealth shotgunning phantoms, exploring every nook and cranny. It definitely satisfied the right itch. Very glad I kept with the game.

He's the guy trapped in
psychotronics, and you have to decide to either release him or let the Typhon kill him. If you release him, he'll stick around psychotronics unless he inadvertently gets killed by a wandering Typhon

Thanks!

I've never once been in a hopeless situation in this game. I also survey areas and plan accordingly. Are you playing on the hardest difficulty?

I'm on normal. i started on hard, but switched it a couple hours in. I think i am so screwed at this point that even lowering it to easy wouldnt help

This was me during my first run through which is why I gave it 4/10, I hated it, but then I read up more on the game and I had missed so much, I rushed through it which is why I was so low on resources. On my second run I did everything, and used the tips and tricks I had learned to turn 45 minute frustrating fights into 5 minute breezes. Not even half way through my second run I was considerably more progressed than by the end of my first run, at least double the mods, double the weapon upgrades and I was swimming in resources. I will say this is the most I have ever felt punished for not playing a game how it wants to be played but overall I'd give it 7/10 after my second run.

exactly. the thing is, i've been doing side quests. i have a ton of weapons and am not particularly far in for the amount of time i've been playing (7 hours, im at the
cold storage after just finding the voice clips needed to open the door outside of the arboretum
)

my item drops are completely useless. i can do a side quest and start with 10 pistol rounds, 5 shotgun rounds, 2 psi recharge and 80 health. by the time i'm done, i've depleted my ammo, have 30 health, and i'm richer a couple of banana peels, lemons, foam bullets for the huntress boltcaster and burned out hard drives - aka not even enough to scrap and make a health kit, let alone replace the ammo i just used

i feel like they could learn a thing or two from the dead space games in this aspect. right now i'm trapped in a room 3 - 4 enemies, no psi and no recharges, 2 shotgun rounds, 0 grenades and a full stocked stun gun that does no damage. but i take 1 hit and im dead

maybe i didnt spent my neuromods properly

roytheone

Between the health regen power, food and healing operators, I haven't used a single heath kit in 10 hours. Have a stockpile of 50 + of the things :)

Majora

I don't want to sound like one of those people but I genuinely don't understand how people could find themselves in an impossible position in this game. I'm at the arboretum, playing on normal, and I'm overflowing with ammo, health kits and psi. I have plans for ammo, neuromods and health kits and have at least 20 of each type of material left.

I'd be absolutely fascinated to see a playthrough of someone who gets themselves in an impossible position. My intent isn't to brag, I just feel like some people must be playing the game completely wrong, I just can't figure out how. Not scavenging enough? Not using the environment/explosive canisters in their kills? Not using stealth at all? Wasting shotgun ammo on absolutely everything? Using neuromods poorly? Not exploring enough off the beaten path? Not using the gloo gun? A combination of all the above?

I don't know, I'd love to know. If anything I've found normal mode erring on overly generous. I had to be careful earlier on but I now feel overly powerful.

roytheone

I don't want to sound like one of those people but I genuinely don't understand how people could find themselves in an impossible position in this game. I'm at the arboretum, playing on normal, and I'm overflowing with ammo, health kits and psi. I have plans for ammo, neuromods and health kits and have at least 20 of each type of material left.

I'd be absolutely fascinated to see a playthrough of someone who gets themselves in an impossible position. My intent isn't to brag, I just feel like some people must be playing the game completely wrong, I just can't figure out how. Not scavenging enough? Not using the environment/explosive canisters in their kills? Not using stealth at all? Wasting shotgun ammo on absolutely everything? Using neuromods poorly? Not exploring enough off the beaten path? Not using the gloo gun? A combination of all the above?

I don't know, I'd love to know. If anything I've found normal mode erring on overly generous. I had to be careful earlier on but I now feel overly powerful.

Honestly, I can see it. If someone never gets the "heath kit heals more" power and doesn't use the medical operators a lot, I would imagine they will go through health kits like they are tasty biscuits.

bati

I envy you, seriously. The only time I've been able to get close to this kind of experience is with some roguelikes on first attempt. Makes me wish Prey had ironman and another tougher difficulty setting.

mbpm1

I'm on normal. i started on hard, but switched it a couple hours in. I think i am so screwed at this point that even lowering it to easy wouldnt help

exactly. the thing is, i've been doing side quests. i have a ton of weapons and am not particularly far in for the amount of time i've been playing (7 hours, im at the
cold storage after just finding the voice clips needed to open the door outside of the arboretum
)

my item drops are completely useless. i can do a side quest and start with 10 pistol rounds, 5 shotgun rounds, 2 psi recharge and 80 health. by the time i'm done, i've depleted my ammo, have 30 health, and i'm richer a couple of banana peels, lemons, foam bullets for the huntress boltcaster and burned out hard drives - aka not even enough to scrap and make a health kit, let alone replace the ammo i just used

i feel like they could learn a thing or two from the dead space games in this aspect. right now i'm trapped in a room 3 - 4 enemies, no psi and no recharges, 2 shotgun rounds, 0 grenades and a full stocked stun gun that does no damage. but i take 1 hit and im dead

Sounds like the time for stealth. Also the stun gun is really useful for ambushes.

Also you sound underpowered, what neuromods do you have?

horkrux

)

Ever went out of your way to let turrets do the work for you? Or use explosive stuff or other means of environmental kills?

You're also extremely far into the game after just 7h if I got that right. Like... I've just found the voice clips an ingame hour or so ago and I'm already at 15h (>20h according to Steam) lol
You might have ventured too far too soon or something. Because right now I can't even imagine running out of anything.

Oh, I've just found something regarding Deep Storage (hint 7), so that might explain why you're having such trouble right now

Vanadium

I was in a few dire situations early on like that. Since it's an Arkane game I save scummed the crap out of my run and eventually force ran through the section that I was stuck at. Depending on how you play (play your way right?) there are several ways you can easily get stuck without a good build. Luckily I went heavy to security and force push.

)

The stun gun does no damage because that's not its purpose. The stun gun's purpose is to incapacitate. Use it to shock enemies; this will freeze them in place (and upgrading the stun gun will freeze them for longer). Enemies that are stunned take extra damage, so you want to stun first and THEN use your shotgun. Robot enemies (corrupted operators, turrets, etc.) can be destroyed using the stun gun as well. The stun gun is your friend; treat it well and it'll do tons of work for you.

Not that this is necessarily the case for you, but I find that lots of people who say they're struggling with the combat and are constantly low on ammo are in this situation because they're using the pistol and shotgun for every encounter. This is an obvious strategy, but it's a really bad one in Prey. This becomes especially clear when you start encountering enemies that take ten or fifteen shots to kill. The game simply doesn't give you enough ammo to brute force encounters; it's supposed to be a hint that you should find another way to approach combat.

kliklik

Banned

)

You're way too far into the game for so little time. You haven't spent enough time exploring. You have missed large sections of the ship and they are easier to explore earlier in the game when the enemies aren't as tough.

Lower your difficulty to Easy. Upgrade your stun gun's duration of stun and a bit of upgrade to distance. Sneak up to and stun an unsuspecting phantom, charge your wrench as you run toward it, swing and then keep swinging (without charging.) You should be able to kill it. Might need another stun or some gloo.

Don't use guns on mimics. Run up and smack em with your wrench.

Don't use guns on cystoids! I bet you fired wildly at them in GUTS didn't you - admit it. You can burst the nests and kill the cystoids just by throwing objects at them (this is what I did), firing the boltcaster foam bolts at them, or firing the gloo gun at them. They blow up on their own where they detect movement.

Don't bother using any weapon except stun gun against technopaths.

Get Combat Focus fully upped asap and abuse it.

Don't try to snipe with your shotgun. Only fire it when you're up close.

Stun gun works on all phantoms except voltaic. Use emp grenades on voltaic. Check the research on each enemy type to make sure you're not using something they have resistance to.

If you don't have the Q-beam by now you should hang your head in shame. You could've gotten at least 3 or 4 of them by now. Explore!

soultron

Banned
A good way to whet your hardcore appetite while waiting for survival update

Make sure you make a new game after installing it, though

Isn't most of this stuff going to be flipped on when the update happens anyway, though? I'd rather wait for Arkane to do it, honestly.

Finished the game tonight. Can't wait to replay it but next time with more Typhon powers at my disposal.

It has a few issues (early combat isn't the greatest, in my opinion) and some weirdness with dialogue queuing but I'd say it's in my top 3 for GOTY 2017.

Isn't most of this stuff going to be flipped on when the update happens anyway, though? I'd rather wait for Arkane to do it, honestly.

Finished the game tonight. Can't wait to replay it but next time with more Typhon powers at my disposal.

It has a few issues (early combat isn't the greatest, in my opinion) and some weirdness with dialogue queuing but I'd say it's in my top 3 for GOTY 2017.

Sure, that's a good option as well. Though I imagine Arkane are taking their time on bringing back other cut elements like O2 meter for Zero-G and weapon degradation

Speaking of weapon degradation, a modder managed to extract weapon jamming animations that were cut.

Link: https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comme...tm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=prey

I just wanna say I agree on the risk reward in this game being screwy. I feel like every fight is a waste of resources! This is probably because I hate using stealth or the environment to get kills in games. Its just not fun to me.

Anywas, I'm renting the game and will probably have 2-4 hours tops left with the game. I'm looking for the voice data atm, about how far through the game am I?

Just started this game yesterday and holy fuck... This game is more System Shock than System Shock. lol

Lovign the shit out of it. Surprised by the difficulty though. Damn, this game is unforgiving at times.

I'm finding that most fights end in a near perfect victory, or in death. Either a phantom kills/nearly kills me with a blast to the face and a teleport into a killing backstab (PS4 controls suck), or he misses and I stunlock the fucker into death.

I suffer attrition from mimics and operators, but the phantoms are just annoying.

I'm swimming in resources now, but the fights just aren't fun.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well, I've finaly finished the game for the first time.

qMduPhk.jpg

Can't say i like the ending after end credits. I mean, i understand what happened and all that but...
everything leads to basically two choices, a good one - if you finished the game without killing any humans, helped people to escape Talos 1 and all that, or bad one - you killed every human on a Talos 1 and then killed everyone else after the end credits.
Also, you can't really drastically change the ending after the end credits (if it is possible at all) without replaying the game and making different choices, cuz by the end you can't undo what you did but it's a good thing cuz it encourages you to play the game again.

I wish that there was full-on and proper epilogue to set up events to come or just to show you in much more detail what is happened to you, the world and all that... but ultimately it's the journey that matters the most + the future of the Prey franchise is uncertain at this point so i guess it was actually okay to not end the game with a cliffhanger to set up events for a sequel which may not even happen.

All in all, absolutely incredible and extremely well made and realized game. I wonder now what System Shock 3 devs will do now cuz they basically need to beat this game now or at least be at the same level :)

P.S. Personal tip: if Dr Igwe turned hostile very close to the end of the game, you can just ignore this bug and move on cuz in the end he'll be there with you in the shuttle and no quests will be failed. But I can't say that it will work if you encountered this bug much earlier in the game, plus some of the quest will be marked as failed i think.

Kazuhira

I really need that new difficulty,nightmare isn't that hard.
The game gives you too much resources imo,700+ of gloo ammo,200+ pistol ammo, 40 shotgun shells and like 30 medkits.
I guess i'm cheating for saving/loading all the time in order to do certain areas better,also drinking a lot of water instead of healing with my items.
I hope this new mode introduces limited saves or some shit,maybe save stations like in alien isolation.

I really need that new difficulty,nightmare isn't that hard.
The game gives you too much resources imo,700+ of gloo ammo,200+ pistol ammo, 40 shotgun shells and like 30 medkits.
I guess i'm cheating for saving/loading all the time in order to do certain areas better,also drinking a lot of water instead of healing with my items.
I hope this new mode introduces limited saves or some shit,maybe save stations like in alien isolation.

You gonna have to wait for a while for survival update since Arkane are taking their time with it.

Might be a bit elitist to say it, but I vehemently believe they should make fabrication plan licenses for stuff like shotgun/pistol and Neuromods limited so players don't hoard them a lot

patapuf

Alright. I need help

I've stockpiled 50 Neuromods because i can't decide between Human and Alien playthrough.

I think i'm slightly past the halfway point of the game and some of the advanced enemies start to get annoyingly plentiful ( i play on hard).

Is there a big difference on how things play out or is it just the ending?

I don't know what I expected from this game but this shit just over-delivers. I'm 10 hours in and this is like a dream come true. I did not expect anything like this for sure.

I acutally can't believe I'm playing a game like this in 2017. All props to Bethesda for letting Arkane make this game. Full inventory? Game map? Amazing customization?

what_year_is_it.jpg

Are we back in the 90s?

I'm completely blown away that I get a game like this these days. You know, one that does not only reward you for exploring the environment but I'd dare say it requires you to.

Also, the customization is killing me. Every friggin perk seems significant. I can never decide what to spend my neuromods on. :D

If this game keeps on giving like this I can see it not only becoming my GotY but one of my all time favorites. DAMN! I did not expect that.

Kazuhira

Yeah,Arkane has become a team that i need to keep an eye from now on.
I haven't played dishonored 2 yet but i loved the first one and Prey has massively exceeded my expectations,it's simply amazing.

qMduPhk.jpg

Can't say i like the ending after end credits. I mean, i understand what happened and all that but...
everything leads to basically two choices, a good one - if you finished the game without killing any humans, helped people to escape Talos 1 and all that, or bad one - you killed every human on a Talos 1 and then killed everyone else after the end credits.

Well personally
I saved Dahl, Alex, Igwe, and Mikhayla but didn't evacuate them and removed the Typhon from the station. I guess its assumed that Dahl got them off in my situation? I do like that although the end result was the same, your choices throughout were recognized and not forgotten. They may have not made a huge impact but they weren't entirely meaningless either or got overridden by a later choice. I liked that and think its a big step from a lot of modern games. Also while playing I felt like I was really effecting the plot's paths by my decisions near the end, even if I probably wasn't.

I liked the ending being an experiment of what would you do if you were suddenly placed in the shoes of this person in a crazy scifi crisis scenario, because thats what any game is really; lets put you in this persons shoes and see what decisions you make.

Alright. I need help

I've stockpiled 50 Neuromods because i can't decide between Human and Alien playthrough.

I think i'm slightly past the halfway point of the game and some of the advanced enemies start to get annoyingly plentiful ( i play on hard).

Is there a big difference on how things play out or is it just the ending?

From what I can tell it'll probably just change a single line in the end, but i kinda wish I didnt buy that ONE Typhon ability now :( i just wanted to be a cup :(

I just wanna say I agree on the risk reward in this game being screwy. I feel like every fight is a waste of resources! This is probably because I hate using stealth or the environment to get kills in games. Its just not fun to me.

Anywas, I'm renting the game and will probably have 2-4 hours tops left with the game. I'm looking for the voice data atm, about how far through the game am I?

That's weird never really stealth anything. And still had load of resources and plenty of ammo and recovery items. Also, remember every weapon is not effective on every enemy. This game gives you everything you need to succeed. Have you been scanning enemies to find weaknesses? Have you been making use of the recycler and creating items? Have you been exploring. For people running out of items, it seems like they aren't really exploring the areas, just doing the main story.

Yeah,Arkane has become a team that i need to keep an eye from now on.
I haven't played dishonored 2 yet but i loved the first one and Prey has massively exceeded my expectations,it's simply amazing.
Hopefully Arkane isn't punished for lack of sales. Bethesda didn't really market it at all. I only new about it a week before it released. Then there is the review policy, that I imagine hurt it and the name did it no favors either.

soultron

Banned

qMduPhk.jpg

You might want to structure that post differently as clicking on parts of it can spoil the ending in more ways that one. ;)

Another tip for anyone who might be stuck: don't forget that if you have the Huntress Boltcaster you can shoot at a location far away from yourself to create a distraction there -- but a Typhon needs to be near the contact area in order to hear the noise. Also, you can do the same with small items if you pick them up and throw them.

Sometimes sneaking is a more viable tactic than combat!

My build leaned heavily on human tech tree upgrades and upgraded Pistol, Shotgun, and Stun Gun. The Shotgun became so OP in the end and I was basically unstoppable because of my health and outbound damage perks. I loved just charging in and unloading with the shotty. It's even more satisfying when you square up against W
eavers
and they inflict Fear so your aiming gets affected but you still just dismantle them.

I'm going to try another playthrough but this time focusing on all Typhon powers. I'm betting the game will play very, very differently. I started out playing this game like Dishonored (especially after getting the high jump and a bevvy of sneaking perks) but in the end I was playing it like Titanfall. Just sprinting and jumping, shooting everyone at close range. I'm tempted not to take any of the options that expand mobility so that I am forced to rely on Typhon abilities.

ced

Finally finished the game (~25 hours). Explored a lot and did most of the side quests, I think. Game started very strong, but the last 25% were a big let down. Instead of fighting/sneaking my way through the endgame I honestly ran past most enemies, because they were able to sock too much damage and their re-spawning nature was annoying. Ruined the game for me a bit, to be honest.
Still one of the best 'dungeon crawlers' I've played in a long time, with some nice twists, but a bit too long with a bit too much running around back and forth if you want to do side quests and an annoying last part (visually cool though). A strong 8/10 for me.

You nailed my feelings.

It's still an awesome game but the last bit just dragged on and if you had been playing sneaky it got very bad.

Game needed a long distance sniper weapon.

soultron

Banned
You nailed my feelings.

It's still an awesome game but the last bit just dragged on and if you had been playing sneaky it got very bad.

Game needed a long distance sniper weapon.

Did you try upgrading the Silenced Pistol in the range and accuracy categories? Coupling it with the Psychoscope (as a zoom scope) basically fulfills this role. This is even better when you get (weapon spoilers)
the Artemis Golden Pistol

Another thing that helps is the bonus (can't remember if it was a Scope Chipset or a tech tree perk) to marked enemies -- since you're looking at them through the scope you're already marking them. Add the tech tree perk for stacking damage against unaware targets and you can get some crazy damage out of the Pistol. You can easily one-hit-kill Mimics this way, for example -- especially if you're getting the surprise attack bonus. (I think I saw Pistol single hit damage numbers as low as 91 and as high as 250 this way, if I recall correctly?)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Well personally
I saved Dahl, Alex, Igwe, and Mikhayla but didn't evacuate them and removed the Typhon from the station. I guess its assumed that Dahl got them off in my situation?
Yep. just without you on board the shuttle.

I do like that although the end result was the same, your choices throughout were recognized and not forgotten. They may have not made a huge impact but they weren't entirely meaningless either or got overridden by a later choice. I liked that and think its a big step from a lot of modern games. Also while playing I felt like I was really effecting the plot's paths by my decisions near the end, even if I probably wasn't.
Same here.
Every decisions in the game do matter at the end, even if the game only tells you what you did and that you did good or not. But proper epilogue would be nice too.

I liked the ending being an experiment of what would you do if you were suddenly placed in the shoes of this person in a crazy scifi crisis scenario, because thats what any game is really; lets put you in this persons shoes and see what decisions you make.
It's actually a lot more than just an experiment. The thing is, i think it's not Morgan on a chair at the end, it's just one of many test subjects with Morgan's memories. I won't say more but.... if you just try to escape the station using Alex's escape pod and pay attention to what you see, then you may.... notice something (^__^)

This game is such a gem. I'm convinced the developers are geniuses.

A completely fantastic experience. So glad I played it. On the PS4; I think the only complaint I have is the abundance of slow loading screens in the last 25% of the game. I put 50 hours into my first run.

An absolute pleasure to experience. Hats off to Arkane.

Top Bottom